How would you get into voice acting for vidya?

How would you get into voice acting for vidya?
What would be the recommended path to do this?

Is YongYea's approach wise? As in biting the bullet and accepting the loss that moving to LA would bring in attempt to put himself out there despite having little to no experience, and not even a voice demo.

Attached: va.png (254x218, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1CIlZUMH0Vn
vocaroo.com/i/s1cBwIYDSED4
vocaroo.com/i/s1u3Jc8hB368
vocaroo.com/i/s0SKbSh6oTdz
vocaroo.com/i/s1PYVMkYFOAL
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What type of voice acting does he want to get into? He has a good announcer voice/presenter voice but I haven't really heard his range or his acting abilities, so if it's for characters, he should have been putting in the work. Networking, doing some fan made voice acting shit etc.

Like you said, he doesn't even have a demo.

Imagine actually moving to California

I think he did some work for a Fallout 4 mod. Can’t remember which one, though, but it was in one of his videos

Dude gets 2K a month on Patreon and probably makes a good amount on iTunes based on his views. He ain't taking that much of a huge gamble.

Is there really a market for monotone line reading? can't think many people are looking to hire someone to say "Yong out"

His gamble is leaving his mothers basement

not just to california, to LA, to "pursue" voice acting because you have an okay radio voice (i guess?) for your stupid video game news kojima hypetrain reading videos

Talentless voice actor. They're a diamond dozen in this doggy dog business. He'll likely fail.

>Moving to LA to do voice acting
Is LA really the hot bed for VA talent? I thought Texas was the Hollywood of voice acting.

please don’t use swear words

>moving to LA
I would wish that fate on someone, but Yong is a tard and possibily deserves it.

He's making a mistake. Being a successful voice actor is like winning the lottery.

YYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOONGGGGGGGGGGG OUUUUUUUUUT

Don't worry. He'll realise that voice actors make peanuts money and move back to his hometown.

Why the fuck shouldn't I?

that's if he gets jack shit in the first place

No one wants to work for Funimation or Rooster Teeth anymore. They're trash companies.

uh. The phrase is Dog eat dog. Unless your reference snoop dogg or some shit.

>have a really solid and consistent gig doing news videos on the vidya industry
>fuck off to take a chance at breaking into a hard af industry to break into
???

2k a month is just barely making it in LA. He’ll probably just wait tables and keep auditioning for his big break like everyone else out there.

I don't think you know but the YouTube bubble is kinda over now, adpocalypse.

>Moving to an oversaturated city to work in an oversaturated market that only hires actors within the VA clique

>moving to LA
big mistake, he is going to ruin his life and empty his bank account

Texas is where Funimation is at, but otherwise LA is where the money is. Anime doesn't pay very well, and those who know to go for it in Texas are usually talentless autistics. So if you actually have talent, competition may not be so tough over there, but you'll get paid fuck all.

>How would you get into voice acting for vidya?
By not breathing with my mouth. You obviously need to have done some work which would be easy to get. Just do voice work for shit like animations, mods for games or even re-dub shit.
As far as I know that fat headed bug man hasn't done shit. Even someone like Critical with literally zero range got VA work for games, you can just ride your popularity.

Big mistake. La is cancer. Also you should go to Texas to be a VA. Less competition and good entry level work. I dont know who lied to him and told him LA was the place to go.

Patreonbux and sponsored videos exist.

And the voice acting bubble isn't?
There are like 20-30 voice actors that get first right of refusal on any significant roles and anything that goes unclaimed is scraps that get fought for by the other 200+

his yt comments are full of this sentiment. he's digging a gravE.

Way to fall for classic bait.
Yet you had no issue with "Diamond Dozen"? I can't wait for the usual escape goat of you were only pretending.

fuck you

true, but even still most of that is the survival backup for people who were already established when the shit hit the fan

>moving to LA
First mistake
>Voice acting in LA
Second mistake.

Ten bucks he washes out. Even VA's in LA can't afford to live in LA and he wants to fucking move there to start voice acting when he has no prior experience.

Patreon is fake, I tried it and it didn't work.

Good luck to him seriously, but really I can't comprehend making this choice at this stage in both his Youtube career and voice acting career; he's really jumping the gun. It feels like his head is in the clouds because of the positive reinforcement he gets from his Youtube community.

>makes a good amount of money from youtube with his near daily uploads
>makes a good amount of money from patreon and perhaps other donations from paypal and such
>moving to LA, which will take a good amount out of his funds with moving and the general living expenses
>in turn moving to LA and pursuing voice acting will make it harder for him to pump out videos at a steady rate effecting his revenue
>because voice acting is even more competitive than regular acting he will have a uphill battle
>not only this, the gigs are very limited in LA, Texas is where you go for VA work

Then there's his acting itself
>no vocal demo
>he does a poor impression of a radioman's voice
>sounds very nasally and monotone all the time
>whatever games/mods he voiced in are using the same exact voice showing off no range
>also trips over his words a lot, struggles to say words like "February", you can even hear him mispronouncing words in the fallout 4 mod
>frequently is long winded and just keeps talking, again all his voice work has this trait

Everyone has to start somewhere, but he's skipping the critical steps like improving his craft and just jumping into the wrong city with no work under his belt.

Attached: 1487197382726.jpg (730x493, 122K)

I assume that there are casting calls to voice act. The best option is to just know someone and when the time comes they just ask you if you wanna voice someone. All the super AAA game leads are actual actors now though so good fuckin luck gettin one of those roles.

But wait. I WAS only pretending.

Thanks user :)

2K a month is maybe half of your rent for an apartment you share with three other people in LA.

If you could get a good tech job, it isn't so bad as every company is competing with each other so they give out crazy benefits.
Also if you're going homeless and willing to deal with spics, California is one of the better states since you don't have to worry about freezing to death and have a lot of homeless aid programs.

You probably can't afford to live on the street in LA for 2k a month.

>implying /ourguy/ Yongyea will wash out

Nice small cardboard box in California that you have rented there.

>What type of voice acting does he want to get into
A Kojima game. He's a huge Kojima fanboy, will excuse anything he does including excusing MGSV for being purposely empty to evoke a phantom pain to players.

>He has a good announcer voice/presenter voice
Sounds like a poor job mimicking it to me. He clearly has never had the training. This is further muddled by his bad mic settings that are all BASS BOOSTED.

>but I haven't really heard his range or his acting abilities
It's pretty much the same as his youtube videos. Literally his same exact voice, same exact speaking style. Frankly you can just use the audio on top of one of his videos, it would be exactly the same.

He should have stayed at home, taken some more theater classes or something. Work on it, make a demo, then go somewhere(not LA)

>It's a move to LA pursuing a meme career episode
It just keeps happening

vocaroo.com/i/s1CIlZUMH0Vn
>moving to california without a substantial backing so you won't fall flat on your face cause everything there is too expensive
lol good luck

You post samples here and maybe I'll get you hooked up.

Attached: iWz6EAX.jpg (2160x3840, 442K)

I think he clearly underestimates how much work it takes to get into the business.
He thinks it's going to just click like it did with Youtube.
Acting requires both talent and connections. He has neither(most likely burned a lot of bridges with his videos and pissing off various journalists that actually have connections to indie game devs and such)

>2K a month
>before taxes

Take a better picture please. I don't know what you are offering.

great breakdown. i'm all for people being ambitious and chasing their dreams but he's being a delusional naive fool and it doesn't seem like he even understands what it takes in the first place. let alone doing the actual work and having any real success

this.

also, there's gonna be a real conflict of interest where his youtube channel is concerned. He said nothing's going to change but something's gotta give, no studio with any sense would let him work for them without him swearing off the youtube shit. He's still a controversial "influencer" at the end of the day. Good luck to him tho

> retards itt saying Texas is VA paradise
That's only if your only going to do funimation anime dubs, and even in a cheapo state like Texas you are going to have a difficult time breaking into that unless you are BFFs with funi regulars.

Los Angeles does have a way bigger industry since they record games, commercials, and cartoons there but you are going to be fighting with decades old veterans that command way more reach than you could ever hope to get outside a tiny niche.

Videogames?

seems like if nobody knows you, you should first get really fucking good at one particular role
and then when you get more well known and start getting typecasted for things, start expanding roles before it's too late

Touche

but it worked for axl rose

>Wahh LA is terrible

Good, keep circulating the meme so people stop fucking moving here from other cesspool states

Alright here's me saying I need healing i'm 100% yongyea
vocaroo.com/i/s1cBwIYDSED4
vocaroo.com/i/s1u3Jc8hB368
vocaroo.com/i/s0SKbSh6oTdz
vocaroo.com/i/s1PYVMkYFOAL

>How would you get into voice acting for vidya?
I would rather make my own game to then voice my own characters than going to LA to be a VA.

He made a living off of reading other people's work, repackaging it with him providing minimum input and analysis; stretching it to 10-20 minutes in order to maximize adrev ontop of purposely covering hot topics like gaming controversies.

This has pissed a lot of people off, even game jounros have influence with getting gigs(mostly in the indie department). In the acting industry, you always need connections, having this blackmark is going to hurt.

Acting also requires a lot more talent especially since he lacks said connections. He has shown no acting talent whatsoever.

Attached: cum.png (663x233, 11K)

honestly from an outsiders perspective it reads like a totally illusory retard move to pursue at all even if you have a good voice and seriously know the craft

>thinks he's going to do a few months of shitty gigs and then get to have a big break doing a major character in a Metal Gear type game
>in reality it's going to be years of shitty gigs and then a tiny side-character in a shitty game

You're hired. When can you start?

>Voice Acting
This applies to all fields of voice acting
1. Invest in decent recording equipment. You'll need it for the demo and for step 3

2. Take Acting lessons. You kind of need to learn your character before you can pursue voice acting and actual acting helps immensely. You don't need it, but it's highly recommended.

3. Go to a voice acting seminar. There are plenty of VA's both retired and active that can teach voice acting. They'll request a reel of your voice to see how you sound and they'll obviously want high quality recordings

4. Record a demo.

right now my dude

>wants to be a voice actor for videogames
>when his entire channel literally shits on every game developer

>"I'm gonna be a voice actor!"
>him and a million others will be fighting for the chance to be the sidekick in a C-List anime being released by Funi

Attached: 8ZE6LutK_400x400.jpg (400x400, 23K)

my god you're right i can see it now he literally thinks he's gonna be david hayter this is gonna be a trashfire

I just wanna take over for vegeta when chris sabat dies

It's okay, he can still get hired by a developer and make videos shitting on them in between recording sessions! He's totally not deluded at all

He has a comfy life in his bedroom making youtube videos.
He could easily do more acting for games in the comfort of his own room.
Thus building a portfolio and a demo. This doesn't magically solve all problems and built a career but it's a foundation that you need.

Instead he decides to move to a notoriously expensive city, with a notoriously overcrowded and competitive industry, with barely any experience.

I don't understand.

Great. Just know that your salary will be a hotdog and a nice firm handshake.

immature

Sounds good, what's my first project boss?

He really killed himself in terms of PR. He shits on everybody outside of Kojima in his videos.

If he didn't use his birthname and his face on the videos, this wouldn't be a big deal.

His entire career has his face and name plastered everywhere. Everyone is going to know him and won't want to risk dealing with a PR nightmare.

I also imagine he would have a nasty of habit of talking about projects like voice actors are known to do.

he fell for the "i'm so ambitious" meme instead of the "i'm so talented and passionate and want to master this craft" meme

>check to see if it's real
>pic related
Well damn

Attached: Screenshot_20190519-014020_YouTube.jpg (1440x2960, 413K)