I wanna play Doom

Alright, so it's time for me to finally play some classic Doom.

What is in your opinion the best way to play Doom (2), today? I don't want to mess around with dosbox or shit like that.
What's your favourite way to play classic Doom?

Attached: Doom_cover_art.jpg (220x327, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=virD-uLknLU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

so you want to play some fucking Doom?

Attached: SOUWANTOTPLAYSOMEDOOT.png (1543x6892, 1.67M)

learn to google

very nice, thanks user.
i don't want to read through opinions and articles by literal whos. there are plenty of helpful people with good taste here, that's why I made this thread

GZDoom, but you also need the actual game .wad files, which I'm pretty sure you can get from the GoG and Steam versions. You can also pirate it.

just follow this image, it's how I played Doom for the first time

>What is in your opinion the best way to play Doom (2), today?
Grab the original .WAD files, and throw them into a modern source-port. That easy.

For VERY vanilla experience, use the Chocolate-Doom.
For fucktons of pointless visual effects and a vast mod support, GZdoom is the king.

Personally I prefer the latter's older sister, ZDoom, as it starts off a bit more "vanilla" right off the bat, without having to disable and toggle quite as much shit. I'd prolly switch to Chocolate for daily carry storage.

Attached: Doom1 on ZDoom.jpg (1360x768, 135K)

Reminder to always disable all filter and lighting effects if ya use the GZDoom, and also enable automatic font scaling when playing on high resolution.
Do not use vertical aiming, jumping or crouching either. Those just break the games.

Attached: How Filters Hurt gaming.png (1322x768, 1.18M)

I'll use vertical aiming but I don't use crouch or jump unless I'm playing a mod that benefits from playing that way.

I literally cannot play doom unless it's smooth doom compatible

youtube.com/watch?v=virD-uLknLU

PLAY SMOOTH DOOM

Just don’t be using it out of their shootin’ range!

Attached: DCB67D93-F12B-4087-9324-CB544A1A2F6E.jpg (800x751, 52K)

>gimme some vanilla with a bit more spunk
Smooth Doom
>gimme vanilla +
Babel
>i like the way this sucks
Hideous Destructor

Attached: 5A7D1662-FF71-48BD-AB20-FB793E5EDADC.gif (512x512, 716K)

a man of culture

Attached: agitated.gif (204x136, 10K)

Try beautiful doom
Yeah I only do that for weird Uber hard mods like hideous destructor and western doom.

>don't want to read through opinions and articles by literal whos
so you decide to ask anonymous users of the worst 4channel.org board
>there are plenty of helpful people with good taste here
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

I like you kid, so go to

The key problem is that it never explains what the difference between a "newschool experience" and an "oldschool experience" is.

>Try beautiful doom
looks like the opposite of beauty to me, leave it at smooth doom even if some wads break with it

Oldschool aims to emulate Vanilla Doom.
Newschool is anything else.

How are zDoom and gzDoom not emulating vanilla Doom?

zdoom is just a source port, fairly inaccurate one at that
nobody gives a shit because it removes limitations of the original engine and lets modders go nuts

chocolate doom/cripsy doom pride themselves on being vanilla accurate, even framerate/resolution accurate with choco

That's great and all, but what does it mean for me as a player?

it's a simple question of do you wanna doom like it's 1994 or do you wanna doom like it's [current year]

Unless you're doing speedruns these vanilla ports are pointless.
GZDoom has vanilla preset, it's probably not 100% accurate, but it supports most modern Doom mods.
Just make sure to turn off pixel smoothing or whatever it's called in the graphics settings so the game doesn't look like cancer.

Attached: 1537416596702.jpg (861x928, 257K)

>Unless you're doing speedruns these vanilla ports are pointless.
What has speedrunning have to do with anything?
If you want authentic experience, GZDoom is far from optimal. That's all there is to it.

whats the difference

I play Crispy Doom and it seems fine to me.

One has mouselook.

The difference is that Classic, Vanilla Doom has a resolution of 640x480 in 4:3, you cannot look up and down, it is not truly 3D, enemies are infinitely tall and the game runs off of a software renderer.

GZDoom and other modern source ports have all the options and technological advancements you would expect from a modern shooter. You can play the game in 1080p or above, it uses a hardware renderer, you can look up and down and the environment is truly 3D. There is also support for things like lighting shaders and texture filters.

computers are a lot more powerful than in 1994

I have no idea why the fuck that filter is enabled by default in GZDoom. It looks like fucking shit.