Why do some people think Sunshine is the best 3D Mario?

Why do some people think Sunshine is the best 3D Mario?
>no freedom in which shines to collect, the missions past 7 in each world as well as side missions are pointless to beat the game
>Corona Mountain is the worst final level in any main series Mario game I've ever played
>Blue Coins reek of shitty padding
>Yoshi is very underused
>Turbo nozzle is used for two shines then thrown away forever
>The game actually feels rushed, something it shares with Wind Waker
>Wonky physics in the secret levels
Seriously, someone explain it to me, because I really don't get it.

Attached: Super_mario_sunshine.jpg (256x363, 125K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s8Mx18uR1dY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Everyone used to know this until the eceleb wannabe zoomers came and wanted to be different, saying that all the legitimate criticisms were nitpicks.

>Why do some people think Sunshine is the best 3D Mario
Nostalgia, pretty much

We all know Galaxy 1 and 2 are the best Mario 3D

Superb controls.
Spin Jump
Gimick is always useful

64 still king

Attached: boo_haunt_mario.gif (500x560, 1.77M)

The gimmick is a little too useful. It invalidates platforming so fucking much that they had to actively take it away from you to actually make some levels difficult.

>the missions past 7 in each world as well as side missions are pointless to beat the game
This is just nitpicking.

No it isn't. Replaying it is the exact same experience every time, user. Every other 3D Mario game doesn't have this problem. What's the point in having a mission system if you can't choose what missions to do and not do?

It feels really good to control. Probably the best Mario game in that regard. It's a shame they didn't make any actual levels to utilise those mechanics.

64 was utter garbage. Let's stop lying to ourselves.

64 is still the best 3D Mario.
Except Odyssey maybe. Haven't played it yet.

>We all know Galaxy 1 and 2 are the best Mario 3D
Literally zoomer.

Don’t get your hopes up. It’s actually nothing like 64, Sunshine, or Galaxy, despite being advertised like its a return to that style.

>It’s actually nothing like 64, Sunshine, or Galaxy, despite being advertised like its a return to that style
Galaxy isn't like 64 or Sunshine either though.

Odyssey is a weirdly divisive game here for whatever reason. It's definitely more inline with 64 openness, but it diverges a lot from it as well. The overabundance of moons, its fairly leveled difficulty even in postgame, and all that jazz may or may not be up to your tastes. Personally, it's probably #2 of my favorite 3D marios, but I've seen people rank it dead last for whatever reason.

You're somewhat limited in which shines you can do when, but it's nowhere near as bad as you're making it sound. you need to have 3 shines to unlock ricco harbor, you need to have 5 to unlock gelato beach, you need 10 shines to unlock Pinna park, you need to do pinna park 4 to unlock Sirena Beach, and you need 20 shrines to unlock noki bay. So once you're roughly 20 shines into the game you can visit any level you want in any order, although you do still have to do the shines in order inside the levels (mostly) you can do the levels in almost any order you want. It's not that different than the other Mario games in that regard.

No joke, the lava boat part made me ragequit this game for a good 6 years.

You still have to do the same 7 shines in every level to beat the game.
The real problem is this - there just aren't enough levels to have any real variety in the missions you do without the game being painfully short, even if Shadow Mario didn't unlock the final level.

>Oh man SM64 is so gooooooood, you literally can do everythiiiiing
Yeah, because no level design

Go to bed Zoomy.

>You still have to do the same 7 shines in every level to beat the game.
well aside from Bianco 1, Bianco 3, and Gelato 1-6

Sunshine is a decent game, but it's pretty clear that it was rushed to all hell for a Mario game
They should've given it another year or two of development so they could at the very least remove all the bullshit filler blue coins

Are you really implying Sunshine has an better level design? Because it doesn't.

In what way?

I’m not defending the blue coins, but if anyone is criticizing them but defend power moons, they are the pinnacle of hypocrisy.

says the hypocrite

it lacks persistent levels you revisit for multiple stars. It started the "floating obstacle courses in space" era of mario games. it having a hub world isn't enough to change that fact.

Because the game is known for its difficulty.

I'll defend blue coins, literally the only thing wrong with them is that there wasn't a counter in game for how many blue coins each shine had. just some indicator whether or not an individual shine was 100% completed would have solved all the issues blue coins had.

In that it's not fucking like 64 and Sunshine in any way. There is no real hub world, you pick the levels out from a menu, you can't explore the levels because every star forces you through an entirely specific separated path from the rest of the level, there's really not much point to there being levels in the first place because of it, they're functionally the same as different levels entirely, you can only do the objective you're currently on for the previous reasons which means there is no such thing as going after a different star than the one you picked, it flat out isn't a sandbox Mario game in any regard. It's the same formula as the New Super Mario Bros or 3D World games, they're all course clear titles. Pick a level from a list, run through the linear path to the one objective, finish the level.

I grew up with Sunshine but I gotta say Odyssey is the superior 3D Mario.

That makes sense.

I think Sunshine mario still edges out Odyssey mario in over all control, but everything else about Odyssey is superior. Also Steam Gardens is the shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=s8Mx18uR1dY

>the only flaw is its biggest and most glaring flaw

well generally yeah, if something only has one flaw that flaw will be the biggest flaw and also the most glaring flaw, in addition to being the smallest flaw and the least glaring flaw.

You complained that there are levels not necessary to beat the game. That’s true of every 3d mario. You mis-worded what you were trying to say, I think.

If someone ranks it dead last they probably have brain worms. Yes, up until you fight bowser it's a fairly middling cakewalk but the postgame feels like 64 without having to leave after a moon, some of those challenges are genuinely difficult

3D world is pretty good but according to Nintendo's flipflopping it's not even a "real" 3D Mario but a lnear one.

So since Odyssey is nothing but piss easy scavenger hunts then I guess Sunshine is the best "3D" Mario.

Galaxy had a better level design

>64 is still the best 3D Mario.
That's just your nostalgia talking, user.

Attached: 2a1.png (1324x992, 464K)

Galaxy isn't open ended, feels more like a ride than the whole park, not saying it is a bad thing, love galaxy, but doubt you can compare them.

Nah, it is, my brother is 11 years old younger than me, his first Mario was SMS and he agrees, same as everyone else that isn't a contrarian.

You mean you beat him until he agreed it was the best? I guess, since there'd be no other way.

lol goddamnit user

It was literally advertised as being like 64 and Sunshine, but NOT like Galaxy. Sort yourself out.