Crysis series

I like to go back and pick up old games that I wanted to play but missed over the years. I can't find any sub $15 copies of the first Crysis even though I want to play it but the deluxe edition of 2 is $2.50. Can I just play 2? Whats the rundown on the whole series.

Attached: Screenshot (379).png (738x422, 551K)

The first one is great for the first half. The second game is just cawadooty with a suit

All three games were known for their groundbreaking graphics, worth playing on that alone or is it just going to feel like one of the recent CODs with the jetpack shit?

The first one is worth playing and its expansion. Only play the others if you enjoyed the suit because theres more of that in the sequels but less of everything else.

Crysis 2 is basically halo set in a somewhat modern day setting. Its actually a great game that's hated by Redditors

Might grab it for entertainment some night I'm not busy, how long is the campaign and why does r*ddit hate it

>The second game is just cawadooty with a suit
It's the literal fucking opposite of Modern Warfare-era Call of Duty. The entire point of Call of Duty was that the AI was a shooting gallery. The entire point of Crysis 2 is that the AI is smart, adapts to your tactics, and is tough. You engage reasonably tough and smart AI in sandbox environments with huge amount of verticality. That's the Crysis 2 formula. You see something similar in games like Doom 2016. In fact, Doom 2016 is a blatant Crysis 2 ripoff.

Attached: Crysis Gameplay.webm (640x360, 2.55M)

A decent way to play the three main Crysis games is the Xbox 360 versions via Backwards Compatibility on Xbox One.

Huge fan of Doom 2016, you say Crysis 2 is just like it?

Mostly because of it's different approach from the first game. Crysis 2 is Unironically Kino

What the fuck went wrong?

Attached: 459398-crysis-3-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg (800x800, 130K)

Crytek AI traditionally sucks at using single shot weapons, such as pistols. This is why Crytek games tend to have snipers that do ludicrous amounts of damage to compensate. This is why basically everyone in Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 carries an AK47 and the weird-ass code that handles weapon switching based on player distance never really gets used.

Gunplay-wise, no. It is ultimately a tactical-light military shooter, and not so arcade focused. But the core mechanics of mantling your way around these expansive combat arenas is basically Crysis 2's formula.

In hindsight, I wish Crysis 2 had used a double jump instead of a "hold and release space to jump twice as high", because it makes jumping feel slushier than it should be.

Crysis 3 does a lot of stuff right. It has some solid digital acting, some excellent sandbox design, and it generally improves upon Crysis 2. But the game needed another 6-12 months of development. Its root problem is that it's poorly balanced. Crysis always danced a delicate line between power fantasy and challenging sandbox FPS title. Crysis 3 has multiple game breaking combat tactics. The bow is stupidly OP. Hacking drone guns is stupidly OP. Some of the Ceph enemy types are ridiculous pushovers despite the fact they were obviously supposed to be challenging. The game should have been delayed until 2014, and they should have released it as a PS4/XBO/PC title instead of being a PC game awkwardly ported to PS3/360. The black magic required to get the game running on those consoles is admirable, but it wasn't appreciated. SC: Blacklist had the same problem to some extent.

What makes Crysis 2 work as a game is that it's extremely well paced, and the combat encounters are both tightly scripted and emergent once the bullets start flying. Crysis 3 reverts back to Crysis 1-esque combat design where you wander around these large areas and you sometimes bump into enemies. This causes pacing problems. It also means that AI is way too exploitable when paired with the stupidly OP bow and shit.

The main appeal of Crysis 1 is Power Struggle, so even though you might enjoy the pre-Onslaught part of the game you will never be able to like the game like the original players did. You will not understand how it is to ambush a ninja-capping solo player in the plateaus above Mesa's central bunker, steal his MG Humvee, load it with C4 and hop over a 5-meter tall wall into a factory only to get stuck between two trees and get lit up, get saved by a random VTOL and get spirited away halfway across the map after flying through a fucking tunnel in a feat that'd make Jean Reno flinch.

I can never understand why would a developer willingly attach an expiration date to the part of the game he poured so much effort in. GameSpy moar liek NO WHYYY

The sequels were EA's shitty attempt at turning a PC shooter into a COD cash cow.
Play original and Warhead then look up mods and cheats.

>The sequels were EA's shitty attempt at turning a PC shooter into a COD cash cow.
The sequels were Crytek's attempt to not go bankrupt after the 2008 Global Financial Crysis that forced them to shut down development on everything that wasn't Crysis 2 and Ryse.

Music makes it feel kino, but the blandness of shooting sections ensures that a game as a whole is a bland, forgettable shootan-scootan action flick.

I think the shock of C2 being so shit turned me off buying games in general.

Derivatives, not even once! But I guess you are right. I used to ascribe Crytek financial woes to managerial ineptitude rather than external factors, but that doesn't explain why they were doing so well pre-08

the only thing I remember about this stupid ass game was oldfag Yea Forums memeing about it having the best graphics of mankind at the time and jokes about computers catching on fire trying to run it

In 2007, you could make a game like Crysis for 20 million. By 2013, this had ballooned to 60+ million. They pushed Crysis 3 out the door in about 20 months with a team of 100 people, I think. It was severely understaffed because they were reallocating people to Homefront 2 and Ryse. Crysis 3 would have cost even more money if they had delayed it.

There's a reason Epic passed on making any more Gears of War games. Gears 4 would have cost 100+ million, wheras Gears 1 cost 12 million. The AAA industry is kinda fucked.