What horror games really need is to stop focusing on scary monsters or whatever...

What horror games really need is to stop focusing on scary monsters or whatever, and instead put the player into situations that just feel more subtly disturbing.

Like pic related, how it seems familiar on the surface but is ultimately incomprehensible and unexpected.

Attached: 1558041731373.jpg (2048x2048, 477K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JE1M-BeifNU
dictionaryofobscuresorrows.com/post/27720773573/kenopsia
youtube.com/watch?v=o3c_pJ_CLJQ
scp-wiki.net/scp-3008
youtube.com/watch?v=MyGQQ_cRqbg
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ-vBhGk9F4
youtu.be/kx8af6vE3Rc
thaumielgames.com/index.php/scp-3008/
youtube.com/watch?v=x-pj8OtyO2I
youtu.be/2gMjJNGg9Z8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thats not scary, thats just dumb

cope

>Horror games needs to do [autismal thing that you will bitch about for ruining horror]
Horror "fans" on Yea Forums are some of the dumbest people I've seen.

>nu-fear
Dude lmao a smelly office building
Oh no a spooky ghost! woooOOOooOoOo

Just post some spooky wikipedia articles.

What horror game fans really need is to stop defining "horror" so narrowly that [insert autist's favorite horror game] clones can qualify as horror.

>Dead Space isn't horror because you can kill the monsters! It's just a regular action game! NOOOO, STOP NOTICING THAT IT'S OBVIOUSLY HORROR

Scary monsters still work, but I agree with the unsettling atmosphere. Have you played Darkwood?

HOLY SHIT HEIDI CONFIRMED SHE WAS UP FOR THE OPEN MARRIAGE TOO. THEY ARE BOTH WHORES. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhH

Attached: Screenshot_20190517-204428_Twitter.jpg (2219x2009, 1.06M)

Horror movies are having the same problem
What I think they need to do is get better at subverting the expectation of the viewer/player
It's much easier to scare someone if their established set of expectations suddenly get turned on their head or shattered, as they no longer know what to expect
fear of the unknown and shit

Okay what's your idea then? You seem to be an expert.

We had the same thread fucking yesterday. How the fuck can you faggots keep talking about the same thing everyday and answering the same questions

Don't mind me, just posting some spooks for the sake of bump.

Attached: 1553312554164-x.png (1920x1080, 2.05M)

it's fun to talk about

Attached: 15490733693472-b-564b.jpg (360x479, 22K)

>tfw when the house has diarrhea

How is it fun to talk about when all the comments, suggestions, and reposts are all the same. It's like an eternal hell of the same fucking discussion. Word for word

Attached: 1249218895051-b-ae5c.jpg (800x600, 46K)

>Give player weapons
>Autists screech about how it ruins the horror and threat of the monsters or whatever
>Don't give player weapons
>Autists screech about how it's just a hidenseek game and not spooky
>Make game obviously spooky with the setting themes/whatever
>Autists screech about how the game is a goofy Halloween game
>Don't make game settings obviously spooky
>Autists screech about how the sun is out which is against horror games
Honestly, horror fans should just kill themselves.

No
Horror movies suck because they dont build atmosphere or use their actors expressions well
Look at Japanese horor like Ju On, how the sound design is so subtle, how they focus on the characters eyes and faces more than the spooky monsters
A simple haunted house story, something as generic as they come and yet very scary.

But there's no way out, it just repeats like that forever

>He doesn't realize that "the back rooms" are just a natural part of Mall Planet's ecosystem.

Just try on some clothes in the mirror and you can leave. Trust me.

Attached: Abandoned Mall.jpg (600x395, 75K)

>how is it fun to be on /v when there are the same mario/sonic/sjw/dark souls threads everyday?

an uneventful endless corridor is a horror im acquainted with and not afraid of anymore it's called real life

>That room
I once had a dream where i was visiting a haunted mansion and right as i was about to enter the OP's pic, everything went red while shaking while i heard some spooky ass shit laugh or noise. I ran away like a fucking bitch

Attached: 1355372684771.gif (260x146, 1.14M)

What we need — hear me out — is a movie adaptation of The Thing on the Doorstep.

I don't know why Hollywood is afraid to do Lovecraft. Sure, every piece of shit in the horror genre claims to be "Lovecraftian" because it's a convenient buzzword for "I know horror", but there are very few explicit adaptations. I'm guessing it's either because "hurr durr he was racist" or because of the "you can't represent unfathomable cosmic horror on a movie screen" meme — but at least he didn't rape anyone like 90% of Hollywood producers do, and not all of his stories are about vaguely indescribable dream entities.

Attached: lovecraft.jpg (312x499, 46K)

Attached: 1552077599854-x.jpg (1600x1600, 973K)

so basically theres no hope of getting out and you will just starve so you might as well just kill yourself. Pretty fucking stupid concept

So a Cretan labyrinth but with moldy rugs and fluorescent lights, complete with Office Minotaur coming for your bi-monthly performance review.

I mean being out in the woods is literally the same deal, everything looks the same and seems to go on forever, yet I don't feel scared even in a place that is unfamiliar

This.
You simply can't make the fuckers happy.

I thought Hereditary was a fantastic horror movie to come out recently but a lot of horror movies are either filled to the brim with cheesy cliches or teeter on the line between horror and action movie
The same is happening with games, even the same lack of focus on atmosphere

Whenever I go into a part of a building that's eerily empty I get a tingly sensation on my scalp

Hahahaha it's just empty rooms nigga how the fuck is the horror even real hahahahaha Just keep walking nigga who the fuck gonna get you when there are no sounds besides you and the lights nigga hahahahahaha

Attached: 1465041867279.png (1280x781, 789K)

>tfw no horror game that fully takes advantage of the creepiness of dead/abandoned malls

Pathologic

The answer to all of your horror-game related questions is Pathologic

>le everyone is one person meme

nobody likes walking simulators

youtube.com/watch?v=JE1M-BeifNU

Am i supposed to be afraid of this? Its so big it wouldnt even be worth thinking about. Theres nothing you could do to stop it or get away so why even think about it?

give the player a means to fight back but make it tedious and difficult to do so. let them run away and hide as a primary means of defense and then force them into situations where they need to fight.
scary monsters need to instill a sense of panic in the player or they won't work.

I'll need to give Pathologic another shot, maybe after I finish VtMB
my problem with pathologic is just that I'm a terrible reader and I get tired after like 20 minutes
I don't mind the gameplay or graphics but I wish I was better at reading

Nothing should ever be tedious, but difficult, sure.

Wait, they still make horror games?

>dude it’s inevitable so it’s not scary lol
Death is inevitable, but if I pointed a gun at your head you’d be shitting your pants

>Nothing should ever be tedious
and yet everyone jerks off silent hill even though the combat sucks shit

is there a term for this kind of fear?
The sensation of "it's a little too quiet"
It's a very primitive sort of feeling, like the type of silence that happens right before a tiger strikes its prey

Attached: shopping-mall-ss-1920-1.jpg (1920x1080, 676K)

I haven't played the game, but I suspect it's great in spite of its tedious combat, not because of it.

Its definitely a heightened level of awareness and unease. Obviously our ancestors had to worry about cave lions and mastodons leaping out of the underbrush, when they ventured off alone.

The calm before the storm?

>mastodons
Sorry, smilodons. I get them confused.

I got the perfect thing for your shit tastes OP. The windows 98 maze screensaver. It's not a game but it will probably horrify you all the same since its an endless maze of maddening silence. Truly a piece of horror not for the faint of heart.

Attached: giphy.gif (320x240, 2.1M)

Attached: 1554692667966-x.png (1200x1261, 1.29M)

dictionaryofobscuresorrows.com/post/27720773573/kenopsia

>That one kid who no-clipped during the school trip

Attached: Dancey.gif (182x200, 235K)

What a fucking weird youtube video.

First of all i wouldnt, ive had it happen before and you feel more anger than you do any other emotion, second of all assuming you were actually a threat and somebody worth being afriad of thats alot different then impending natural doom that you cant escape you fucking idiot.

Death is inevitable, sudden death by gunshot is not. You could theoretically escape a situation in which a gun is pointed at your head. You can't escape a supermassive black hole and have absolutely no input over the situation whatsoever. It also has absolutely no difference in your daily life and never will affect you in any meaningful way so its existence is not worth even a footnote in your brain's workings compared to what's in front of you.

Way to miss that user's point completely you fucking moron.

The building being so big means you're not getting the echo/ambient noise that you're used to. That you can't hear your own body sounds bouncing back at you unnerves you.

thanks for sharing but I'm not just talking about a public place, but ANY place.

There's something about being in a room that's very, very silent that makes you get the sensation that you're being watched.

Attached: Shadow People.jpg (558x385, 8K)

Attached: You Are Here.png (816x488, 723K)

everything he's done that wasn't an incomprehensible horror monster was just some banal shit that nobody is afraid of anymore like The Outsider and Herbert West being zombie stories.

Attached: tumblr_p8ax62xt7G1qcsrd2o1_1280.png (919x1300, 767K)

Walls, lights, carpets are all recent technology, relatively speaking. How would a paranormal dimension have recent manmade technology? Did they watch humans build offices and learn from them?

Attached: nony.jpg (462x282, 32K)

Yellow
Wallpaper

I’m sitting in a completely quiet room and suddenly feel like I’m being watched. Thanks dick

What are some really good horror games Yea Forums? I'd prefer disturbing or creepy over screamers.

Attached: tumblr_o7kpk38sSi1qcsrd2o1_1280.png (1200x847, 844K)

For some reason this brings me insane levels of joy and euphoria. I feel like dancing around and screaming at the top of my lungs, like I’m the god of my own little pocket universe.

Don't turn around.

Attached: tumblr_p0lk6j02lO1qcsrd2o1_1280.png (918x1300, 285K)

Is Der Komissar in town?

Better still, she confirmed Holly was flat out cheating on Ross. What a cunt.

>find the key before HE finds you

Attached: mall planet.jpg (750x500, 54K)

Ironically, "Herbert West–Reanimator" did get a movie adaptation which was fantastic. Granted, it was rather comedic, but it was still good.

In any case, I disagree with the claim that all of his more grounded stories — the ones you could film — are shit. A lot of them basically boil down to monster stories, sure. But did you read the one I mentioned (The Thing on the Doorstep)? I think someone could make a pretty solid movie out of it, honestly.

If the alternative was just wandering until I died from dehydration, i'd rather find the monster.

Not being scared by fiction doesnt make you cool or badass, user. Its kind of like roleplaying. You can walk up to a group of guys sitting around laughing, having a good time, playing d&d and remind them "lmao its fake dude you're not even a dwarf". And yeah, you're right. Fiction is fiction.

But when you suspend disbelief, it can be entertaining. Cause real life is fuckin boring.

Under The Pyramids (a.k.a. Imprisoned with the Pharaohs) would make a phenomenal mummy movie

You're assuming the monster will kill you.

He looks really uncomfortable...

I want a cute monster girl to noclip me inside her and make me nut.

This is basically Mementos

What else is he gonna do? Suck my dick?

How it's perceived is highly dependent on the visitor

Reminds of Pathologic when the illness starts affecting the buildings too.

tfw no cute minotaur gf to zong my dong

>He
Based taste

And with Harry Houdini as the protagonist. I'd watch it.

Annoy you until you die of dehydration.

You can still end your own life
and don't even start with oh no you have to kill yourself
wow so scary

truly the pinnacle of horror

Getting the urge to replay Silent Hill 3

Attached: old mall.jpg (1280x960, 125K)

kek

>and you feel more anger than you do any other emotion
you are a psychopath dude

Quick Yea Forums, I need horror games to play and I need them now.

Attached: 1497048999026.gif (500x391, 377K)

looks comfy desu

Give the player a weapon, but either have limited resources and saves to add tension, or just have the player's character be really shitty with things like guns, and weak with melee.

Or if unarmed, give the player means of simply outsmarting the creature using wits instead of just hiding until said creature get's bored and pulls out it's phone.

The paranormal reflects the collective unconscious of humanity
Modern times have replaced the tortures of fire and brimstone with the incessant buzzing of artificial lights and help help help help inescapable walls

So basically like you're in a Musical?

Attached: 1557291081244.jpg (1280x936, 102K)

>PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE JUPITER BEHIND THE CURTAIN YOUNG LADY!

JAPANESE GOOD
WESTERN BAD

Attached: 10qccw3.png (1425x1080, 477K)

Attached: tumblr_o1g5ytAbj11qcsrd2o1_500.png (500x708, 337K)

Attached: tumblr_nuyr68FUh41qcsrd2o1_500.jpg (500x708, 125K)

Backrooms sound too comfy bro. Horror can't be comfy.

There is no “right way” to do horror, just a question of using tools well. Even jump scares can be used well, the first FNAF was a decent example cuz they don’t just come out of nowhere.

Attached: tumblr_npbkuxhl0Q1qcsrd2o1_500.jpg (500x708, 77K)

Is there a word to describe a feeling of intense paranoia and anxiety I get when hearing loud continuous noises (i.e train horn)
it all goes away as soon as the noise is done but I've never found out of there's a word for it.

Even if that user is just being a contrarian I still agree with him. OP's pic tries too hard and instead of being scary ends up being dumb.

lovecraft isnt actually scary

its effectively the same story over and over. thing on the doorstep is unadaptable

Oh no, not the giant cuttlefish. It'll flap its fins at me.

>Pathologic
I liked The Void better.

>could be a great game
>is intentionally bad instead

Autism, probably. That isn't a joke. You might have autism.

sensory processing disorder

it means you have autism. literally.

The only fail in the op pic it's the last sentence. It just turns good concept into generic shitty creepypasta.

The Beast in the Cave is banal as fuck but still has potential to be a fairly suspenseful short film.

bruh

You should play The Stanley Parable, OP. It's mostly a comedy game but it uses its setting to great effect for horror in some of the endings.

Attached: Two_Doors_Room.jpg (1280x720, 164K)

>it's a Yea Forums diagnoses mental disorders thread

They just need to set a horror game in a hotel located in California.

The realization isn't great but I liked how much this games doesn't give a single fuck to compromise with player. That's the way how true horror game must be.

nah, not at all

a game being too demanding to play simply limits its audience

same reaosn rain world is like a 9.5/10 game and almost nobody has played it

Attached: tumblr_nc3t6wGrBo1qcsrd2o1_500.png (500x708, 420K)

I agree

I like this

I get top comfy when I walk into my building early in the morning and I can hear my footsteps echoing around me and in the empty offices, nobody around except for the odd guard or cleaner, being a security guard in an abandoned building must be lit.

>being a security guard in an abandoned building must be lit.

watch the recent movie "ghost stories" or the slightly older movie "Mirrors" (2008)

Wheres all the spoopy youtube videos?

This sounds close but not entirely it, or maybe I've just mostly outgrown/learned to deal with it if that's possible
What I've gathered over the years is that it might stem from me being unable to focus on my surroundings and reduced awareness through sound
Like I wouldn't be able to hear someone walking up behind me and I guess that freaks out some part of my brain
if that is still autism then fuck me

Every modern "horror" game is either some kid friendly jump scare simulator, or it's just a nonstop montage in video game format of "BLOOD GUTS BODY HORROR PUS ORGANS INTESTINES MORE GUTS GUTS ORGANS FALLING OUT BRAINS AND BONES AND GUTS MORE GUTS FLESHY ABOMINATIONS THAT SPEW BLOOD AND GUTS, THE WALLS ARE MADE OF FLESH AND GUTS, THE NPCS ARE TWISTED ABOMINATIONS OF FLESH AND GUTS, EVERYTHING IS FLESH AND GUTS, PEOPLE BLEEDING, VIVISECTED PEOPLE ON GURNEYS AND KNIVES CUTTING INTO PEOPLE AND PEOPLE AND CHILDREN SCREAMING IN PAIN AND BLOOD AND GUTS".

Okay, so.... evidently, 20% of the population developed a massive sexual fetish for body horror over the last 10 years or so and they jerk off to piles of guts and blood and vivisected people. I think maybe that's more frightening to me than any fictitious video game ever could. The sheer quantity of people literally getting boners over vivisection

>slightly older
>(2008)

Attached: 14876373941638.png (638x478, 342K)

After binge-playing Half-Life horror mods once it became apparent to me that abandoned hospitals are absolutely one of the most effectively frightening enviroments possible. They are the starting zone in Afraid of Monsters and They Hunger Part 3, and were by far the most memorably scary setting from all the zones featured in all the mods I played.
I don't know how popular of a setting it is, but it definitely proved its worth for me.

What are other games that are set primarily in abandoned hospitals (or abandoned building in general)?

Cute!

nothing is scary
you cant replicate true feelings of fear through media....literally nothing is scary

You're right, but for me it was pure breeze of fresh air amongst all the "muh friendship-power" metroidvanias. I also liked how much well made lovecraftian stuff it has without being actually lovecraftian.

I only hope the dev will make something similar one more time.

>abandoned hospitals
>I don't know how popular of a setting it is

They're basically a cliche they were so popular for a time. Probably peaked with the first Outlast.

Yes, user, a movie from 2008 is slightly older than a movie from 2017.

Horror peaked with Silent Hill. Nothing will ever transcend it. I have given up on hoping.

This thread has been made like 4 times over 2 days. What is going on? Go away.

I'm a night porter in a rather huge but still cheap hotel. Building is quite run-down. The creepiness factor is over the top, sometimes I wish I had never watched the shining.

this, it's not that I'm autistic and unable to suspend my disbelief enough to get immersed, it's just that literally everybody is lying about ever being scared by games

Nothing is scary except for the fact that I am made aware that a significant portion of real life people literally salivate and get boners while watching slasher flicks

It's impossible to surpass Silent Hill.

As compared to something from say the 80s or 90s, yes

Maybe a version of Hyperacuity? The version I have of it makes anything loud start to cloud my vision. When I wear earplugs tho, everything is good.

Fuck stalker
I love that game but in pripyat i had this feeling like something was watching me from the windows, the quiet distant shit you hear, the sounds nature makes but you know that everything could be hiding something that can kill you
Also nighttime was actually dark and scary in those games
And fuck that red forest shit

Attached: tumblr_n6hr1wcHft1qcsrd2o1_1280.jpg (1098x1600, 491K)

Correction, security guard in a non-haunted building would be lit, do fuck all just walk around all night alone with your thoughts and having to interact with no one until your shift is over.

>user's mom comes home for a visit

I wanna fugg pusy door

This was the OP image in a thread from 2 hours ago. I have never played this game but for me the idea of just peering around casually in binoculars and then seeing something really weird that is also looking at you is really freaky. I heard it was scary though so I'll give it a try.

Attached: 1558139053668m.jpg (1024x576, 56K)

Attached: 1558044701013.jpg (720x1120, 374K)

Funnily enough, I was very disappointed with Outlast and didn't find the game scary at all.
I guess it's kind of an obvious choice for a setting, now that I think of it.

Anyway, to get some discussion going, I ask the thread: what are great environments to set a horror game in, and perhaps more interestingly, what are the most underrated ones?

This is just that one area of Dead Rising. The geometry of the space actually reminds me of POSTAL 2 more though, am I just crazy and low-functioning autistic?

You are a faggot. That is actually a great premise. There is something about the decor that anyone raised in North America instantly recognizes yet can’t put a finger on. The whole thing is great. OP is based. Only improvement would be to do this in VR.

Attached: tumblr_msx5yopgAY1qcsrd2o1_1280.jpg (1131x1600, 539K)

the ocean obviously

Attached: 1470712333801.jpg (1000x563, 352K)

I am American and I don't think the concept is anything new, creative, or scary.

Some food for thought: what do you think makes Silent Hill so successfully scary?
What other games make use of those same elements satisfactorily?

Why not both?

Attached: 1514428490780.webm (960x540, 2.8M)

I'm an american and i think it is

Outlast is a hide and seek/running simulator and that killed it for me

Games like singularity with its opening are scary as all fuck compared to it
I love horror stuff but most of it is just bad, walking and jumpscares are not horror, where's thr ambiance where is the dread, where's the i dont want to turn around or go around the corner feeling
But as i grow older and older i feel like the magic from games faded away and now im just a bitter piece of shit that cant have fun

Ghost Stories would be one of my favorite horror movies of all time if it wasn't for that fucking ending. The twist is executed so well but I despise that particular cliche.

we spooky/creepy/unsettling art posting?

Attached: 1485639395669.jpg (541x800, 183K)

>There is something about the decor that anyone raised in North America instantly recognizes yet can’t put a finger on.

Its just tacky and sterile user. Its not complicated.

Certain parts of subnautica are shit your pants scary
Abyss part in SOMA was also probably the best part of the whole game

Attached: 1532095412822.png (490x380, 129K)

Attached: 1485641250773.jpg (1024x768, 160K)

Earth is only 180 years old, you fucking dipshit. We had that kind of technology since the dawn of time

I have a dream regularly where I aimlessly walk around a mall. Going in and out of stores and its never ending , no exit, and nobody talks to me. I always eventually end up in a huge department store with racks of clothing for miles where i just walk through and I wake up.

Whats this mean?

Attached: 1485652977423.jpg (1600x1341, 238K)

There’s a difference between horror and terror. Terror is spooky monsters and jump scares and shit while horror is more about the tone and unease. You can do one without the other but it’s almost always better if you implement both. Hollywood’s problem is too big a focus on terror with no convincing horror to contextualise it and make it lastingly scary, their films are only scary in the moment.

Call of pripyat had a bunch of large explorable buildings in yanov that were almost always empty but fuck me if I didn't avoid going in them unless I had to.

Attached: 1381837147716.jpg (896x960, 613K)

Attached: 1485659774722.jpg (544x675, 48K)

Attached: forrest.png (1266x1204, 339K)

Horror works best when it doesn't subscribe to bizarre misconceptions like "jumpscares are bad" or "[x] trend is scary", and they're just trying to make a spooky piece of media.

God I wish that were my dick.

i thought it was okay, my friend hated it

the scariest part is the father/wife/children part. good movie overall. freeman was good

Most of these were pics i was using for my Deadlands game as props.

Attached: 1492277008289.jpg (1920x1160, 589K)

Google Liminal Places

>skin walker story

Attached: man-sleeping.jpg (1100x734, 57K)

what is this, some kind of knock of zdizlaw bekinski?

Attached: 1555356457413.jpg (700x850, 516K)

Attached: 1485644793300.jpg (500x377, 96K)

These easiest way to get better at reading is to stop telling yourself that you suck at it and to read more.

Attached: tumblr_mecz0gzyNc1qcsrd2o1_1280.jpg (935x1400, 240K)

This. These have NEVER been amusing, they drag on forever and follow the same basic script.

zzzzz boring

>FNAF advertised itself as a spoopy horror game
>when Scott's earlier games dealt with true existential dread while never sacrificing unique and fun gameplay, and didn't need spoopy ghosts or jumpscares

It hurts bros.

Attached: Mirad.png (960x541, 1.26M)

That fucking nursery or whatever it was
Night, you hear something, it chases you and they sound off the emission alarm, barely enough time to run back to safely IF you run past whatever is hunting you
In one of those games i actually wasted hours to sit with loners with guitars at night or in dumpsters so the dogs wouldn't eat me
Fuck todays survival meme games that shit was the real survival game

Attached: 1502817025223.jpg (1920x1080, 1.1M)

Dunno but I get similar ones. There’s this floor plan of a fictional mall built into my head that shows up in my dreams every so often. I know my way around it just like it was real. There was even a secret room where victims of human trafficking were kept that if remember and think ‘oh man I should go help/fuck (depending on the kind of dream I was having) those girls’ but by the time I get there I wake up. Only ever went into the room once.

Doumyakutosi

Attached: tumblr_mllo9x2q2C1qcsrd2o1_500.jpg (500x728, 104K)

sounds like House of Leaves

Anyone elses ear pops or build pressure when your doing a glitch in a game or doing something in the game thats breaking the rules and your scared?

I use to get this playing pokemon blue and doing the missingno glitch and clip through walls glitch.

Attached: 4AA379A3-331D-4A00-8B6E-FDF559EB7624.jpg (3024x4032, 1.64M)

spookt

Attached: humor-jokes-32.jpg (126x114, 5K)

You aren’t good at art then. Straight up. I understand the image and what OP is saying. Honestly considering funding an indie VR mini-game based on this exactly:

You get loaded into an instanced never-ending purgatory of bland empty rooms and you are eventually stalked by an un-seen figure. It would be similar to the Slender Man video game from a few years back, but in VR, and in this environment and not a forest.

My biggest problem with Outlast was how linear it is. When I saw the first trailer, I got the impression that you would have this huge mansion to explore freely, while a single roaming monster that you would have to always be wary of bumping into. Very much like Clock Tower. The idea seemed brilliant to me and I was hyped as fuck.
Then I played it and it was one of the most railroaded games I have ever seen. Probably the most disappointed I have ever been at a video game.

Beisinski is based. FUCK the guy who broke into his apartment and murdered him, I hope that guy fucking chokes to death on a cock.

extra pretentious this one. And more existential then horror.

Attached: 1507528626014.png (1920x1080, 664K)

I am fascinated with the idea of a game starting out warm, friendly, with lots of NPCs, shopkeepers, mom, dad, a sort of pokemon like vibe with a day/night cycle. The game is a roguelike RPG that takes place on a day-by-day basis where the goal is to survive randomly generated events. It luls you into a false routine in the beginning, you get banal chores from the NPCs and it's a typical RPG. Then you get weird quests. People go missing. The weird house at the end of the street has had lights and strange noises from inside. Gruesome discoveries are made. Creatures are nightly abducting and mutilating the villagers. The beginning quests actually immunized your house with enchanted items. The RPG stats you chose in the beginning roughly will dictate your playstyle as you realize stats don't matter anymore, you have to do item based gameplay like boarding up the house, stealing salt from the supermarket and restaurants, building a makeshift gun. The creatures will take the form of NPCs you know and try to betray you or get inside your home. Each playthrough it may be a different character. They may be genuine or imposters. If you are captured by the demons there is no death, you spawn in a new map, a hellish dimension where your game is basically fucked but you can maybe still salvage it, and there are multiple levels that just go deeper and kill off more essential NPCs in the overworld until your game is fucked and needs a restart.

It's a cool concept at first glance, but thwn you realize that it would only ever be effective once.

Attached: tumblr_ma0r7yEB3v1qcsrd2o1_1280.jpg (514x1000, 127K)

>The Appellate Court has upheld a decision of the Warsaw Regional Court sentencing Robert K. to 25 years in prison for the murder of Zdzislaw Beksinski.

youtube.com/watch?v=o3c_pJ_CLJQ

After a while i just didn't care
The constant run away and hide gameplay loops and chases got to me and i just wanted it to end
Die reset chase fuck up die reset etc isnt fun horror games have a hard time with fail states and they should have a way to fight back
Pick up that chair and hit the cripple with the knife

so insanely boring stop posting this guy its not even trying ffs

Attached: 1386914025540.jpg (639x562, 123K)

So do it once.
Then have the next one actually be a woman begging for help.

He doesn't have any ideas, he's a filthy fucking casual.

Agreed. I have NO FUCKING CLUE why skinwalker stories are popular. Never has a skinwalker story ever made me even SLIGHTLY scared. And I'm not trying to sound tough, I'm as chickenshit as they come and am very easily scared. I genuinely don't understand the skinwalker hype.

Attached: 1535037354915.jpg (842x612, 32K)

Attached: tumblr_mclicrGdoH1qcsrd2o1_1280.jpg (990x1400, 306K)

No, that's basically the dead area between the toy store/arcade area and the pet store

maybe real life is the horror game

Literally the shining

How many black prisoners are there in Poland? He’s gotta choke on a black one until he goes mad and starts seeing Beksinski like landscapes everywhere, then he can die.

I would be pissed too if some fag stabbed my table

Attached: tumblr_m2v7mfYsj31qcsrd2o1_1280.jpg (1280x854, 163K)

Image not for the faint of heart. You were warned.

Attached: 1383627710608.jpg (779x4220, 1.75M)

Condemned: Criminal Origins had a good mall level

That sounds shitty. Roguelike RPGs make for poor horror games as you don't get particularly invested in your character(s). Additionally the fact that youw ould need to go through the benign shit to get to the good bits every time you lost would make the gameplay tedious and take away from any concept of fear.

It's an interesting idea to present a game that isn't what it appears to be at first, but it's also really easy to screw up and your idea suffers from some pitfalls.

Like I would give a fuck if I murdered some hoe. Bitch, it ain't my fault that there are monsters trying to pass as hobos, I ain't taking no risks.

reminds me of "Man after Man"

What's the game?

>now thinking about a mastodon leaping out of a bush.
>a mastodon leaping at all.

Attached: 1547492552850.jpg (750x696, 358K)

thumbnail looked like a pale gondola
sboogy :DDD

I was expecting TOBLERONE tbqh.

What if there was a horro game where monsters would say the n word at you? That would be pretty scary

real Star Control 2 vibes right there

Attached: Frumple.png (500x330, 37K)

I'm from Skinwalker territory (heavily wooded state) and being in the woods at night is liable to make you jumpy and paranoid. You're simultaneously vulnerable from every angle and completely trapped in. With the ever-increasing expansion of civilization a lot of people don't have any references for what being in the woods with a spooky thing is like.

Attached: 1516243536174.jpg (735x1024, 59K)

Hmm...

Attached: 549B6A6C-1CEF-4408-BB58-7231829E8DEA.jpg (720x960, 118K)

Alien: Isolation was unironically the best horror game since the original silent hills

Attached: apps.17952.68893806363683384.55eaca3a-8306-4de9-86b3-fbdbb6e226cd.jpg (1920x1080, 265K)

I love psycological horror. Games like Layers of Fear allows you to play as someone who is literally being driven insane by the death of his wife. Good horror game that doesn't focus on le scary monster.

Always wondered who is artist for Skeleton Jelly. I like his style and would like to see more of his works, if there are any.

>tfw no devs have the balls to make a spider-oriented horror game.

Attached: 1418549611951.jpg (1036x771, 89K)

STALKER is a genuinely scary game. I really have not yet played something that feels quite the same. Even Metro just feels like larpy, cringy shit compared to STALKER. It's the atmosphere and realism, and the feeling of "hours of nothing but trees and crickets night and then suddenly my ears start ringing and I hear laughter in my head and I know I'm about to die". Or being hearing heavy breathing in the tall grass and you don't know where it's coming from but you hear the bloodsucker coming for you until its 6 feet away. Playing on call of misery freeplay too with ironman mode and no set linear objective is the scariest and most anxiety filled game experience I have had in years

I really, really like this post.

It's entirely unfeasible but I entertained the thought of a game that gets advertised as non-horror but by crawling through some hole in a fence or similar and ignoring the main objective, you'd get cast into a horror scenario that would feel like you should not be there, isolating the player and pulling the rug under his feet when it comes to expectations and being prepared mentally

Marrow

I remember the first skinwalker story I read did kinda gave me some chills but I had never been introduced to the concept before. Nowadays its a fucking low tier meme
>Go camp on retarded place
>EERILY QUIET
>C O P P E R Y S M E L L
>le GUTTURAL voice
>and we never heard from him again

Few are the ones I can actually say are good
Any other element I'm missing?

Attached: 1529651331397.jpg (807x659, 42K)

Attached: 1389679764042.jpg (1074x1600, 621K)

This isn't really scary. The dog looks too solemn.

that was dumb. apparently this is about endocondral ossification. whatever that is

why hasn't a game tried to replicate this dude's style

Attached: tumblr_m9o6tvYU1A1qcsrd2o1_1280.jpg (704x960, 94K)

Thanks mate

You're forgetting a creature so scary that the author just can't describe anything beyond vague physical features because of how scary it was but boy fucking howdy lemme tell you was it horrifying.

What about psychosexual horror that makes you hard as well as scared? The arousal enhances the fear and the fear enhances the arousal.

Attached: 03B86783-F2A2-44DE-A284-87ECFC03D411.jpg (646x800, 70K)

For me a completely abandoned mall isn't nearly as eerie as a mall that's just mostly abandoned. People are expected to come and shop but there's nothing for them beyond the soft glow of the last family run pizzeria in the corner of the food court.

that one VR game did..what was it called? forgot about it by now..told people it would never be a real game and it's not

scp-wiki.net/scp-3008

there was a recent game that kinda tried, but got censored, i think. Agony or something

I like skinwalkers as a monster but skinwalker greentext is so formulaic.
is right though. actually being innawood when it's pitch black out can generate a special kind of terror if you don't keep yourself focused.

Attached: 1466992663995.jpg (960x720, 76K)

The only good one is the Anansi Goatman story; where no one dies and the thing just snuck in with them as an unknown extra person.

There was a couple pieces of concept art for Dark Souls 2 done in his style, but that game got cucked hard mid development and we all know how it turned out. As for why no one else has attempted it, I’d say it’s just because it would be a LOT of hard work.

The characters in the town would be the same every time. The gameplay is do I let x into the house, he has y benefit but maybe this time he has been posessed. The first 2 days are just ezmode like in Darkwood but everything still has the guise of being normal. I just want to make a game like Darkwood, but it's in a suburb, and there's randomness in the characters instead of the setting

I think I get you.

Attached: 1015996-image005-1200.jpg (1200x508, 34K)

Attached: tumblr_m5evj2ivVR1qcsrd2o1_1280.jpg (724x1024, 121K)

Like you said
Not linear, not scripted, it just happens
The exploration of the map is one if not the best horror experiences of my life
That gas station with snork tunnels
Stalker taught me about greed, wanted to sell more guns for better armor, gunfight on a shitty lake with a bridge, nice green water, i picked up everything except thst one gun that was just a bit too far and i fell in and lost a few hours of playtime
I learned to let go that day

How do we fix horror genre?

Attached: 1557611694735.png (360x321, 227K)

There was some small horror movie that ended revealing that the lead was trapped in hell, which was just an empty white box floating in the void of space. Then the camera zoomed out and you could see countless boxes making up a galaxy with people screaming to be let out, kind of weirded me out.

Attached: 1470287343805.jpg (500x375, 241K)

Sauce?

as a publisher accept that you will never make a billion dollars on a horror game and just let the devs make what they want.
Avoid sequels while you're at it.

I understand what you are going for, I'm just saying that it would not be effective at scaring or even unsettling a player. Games designed around retrying or failing do not easily lend themself to horror in the same way that games designed to be highly replayable don't either.

What's the best difficulty to play STALKER on? I've heard there's something weird about its difficulty options.

Attached: 1422108550459.jpg (1225x2000, 2.85M)

Yes, I think that the biggest reason why Stalker is scary is because of how oppressive it is. You are very fragile and at danger of encountering a fatal threat with every step you take. Every twist and turn could have a mutant, an anomaly, or an armed crook. There is barely any room to breathe. You are in a constant state of alertness and tension.

I find that horror genre as a whole doesn't have much, if any, problem with making itself better through new ideas to change it from what it's going to become over the next few years. Horror genre's own formula should give us a strong foundation, but there haven't been any significant attempts at improving it, either from the creators or from the industry more generally.

I don't think we know as much about the science fiction genre or animation as we could have on the other half of the spectrum - the world of science fiction, fantasy, supernaturalism. The same story, as much of the art should reflect its source and its medium. That should not mean that the story needs to be "more action" or "more supernatural", just that we should be doing more research to be able to present those ideas. We should be exploring the science fiction and fantasy world of what we call "real life" with the same rigour of looking at it from the perspective of the characters, and not having to think about what these ideas even mean. It can be said that horror film and literature has been largely informed by the horrors of the world, and the story is often told through the eyes of those living in those horrors.

A good example of a horror film is the classic horror flick The Exorcist. The movie plays as a terrifying and macabre story, while telling that story through the eyes of two men. These two men live in Texas, and see and play in a small town. The town seems to be run by a strange force which does very strange things, which are beyond the pale for many people in this town. A young man named Charlie Bile becomes intrigued by the town, so he decides to look into it. He encounters the town's eccentric and powerful doctor, Dr. Dr. Martin Luther King (played for what seems to be an endless reason by Will Smith), and soon learns he has a very disturbing story to tell. In that story, King was a black preacher who committed satanic murders, and many of his victims were children.

Attached: 1553495701697.jpg (1200x1200, 149K)

Master.

Rogue-lite about escaping a monotonous groundhog day time loop

The further you get from the monotony the harder it gets, repeats from the start on death

Reminds me of the VtmB hotel

How to save the horror video game genre.

1. Make sure there's absolutely no nudity

There is a pretty fair amount of nudity in games lately – it's okay, though. The vast majority of games contain some kind of visual nudity, or, at best, some very skimpy skin-tight clothing.

The games themselves aren't terrible. Most games are a mix of cute and disturbing. These do exist, though often in an unusual form, and they're much easier to ignore while playing a classic game.

2. Tell the world more About the World and Characters

It might not make for a very strong narrative, and it's far from ideal for player immersion or immersion in the game world, but at least give players a bit of something to go on. You want something that players will look through to try and understand more about these monsters, but the world won't be completely devoid of context – there'll be some bits within the world that will be familiar enough to the player to just enjoy.

3. Make it a really strong narrative.

Attached: donatello_by_davidrapozaart-d3k7tqa.jpg (656x900, 740K)

You know what they really need to do? Stop putting in stupid flashlight that last only a couple of minutes at best, and that you have to keep finding batteries for. Also, extra retarded points when the flashlight's light cone is so narrow that it hardly helps. Shit mechanics like that exist only to hamper the player to ''increase'' the tension, and that is why a lot of horrorr games suck.

Attached: 1486960983966.jpg (466x493, 51K)

>There is a pretty fair amount of nudity in games lately

There is?

Creepypastas like that work because it makes your brain contemplate eternity in a negative context.

Playing something like that would be boring and monotonous, not scary. Vidya is a terrible medium for horror because, since it's interactive, you always have power over it even if the only thing you can do is avoid enemies. It makes the horror basically require jump scares.

Even ostensible horror games like Silent Hill I find aren't scary, despite their psychological horror elements, because (A) I'm not James Sunderland or whoever the protag is so it's not actually MY psyche being attacked, and (B) I can beat the monstrosities with a lead pipe until they stop moving.

Horror, both psychological and short-term shocking, is best in a passive medium like reading or watching a film.

Attached: DSC00359.jpg (1600x1163, 335K)

I have always wondered why no horror game has used one of these creepy fuckers. It would work especially well in a game where you do have a good flashlight that lights things up really well.

Attached: lurker in light.png (400x400, 53K)

timers and limits on flashlights are stupid in general really.
>You can only use the flashlight for 20 seconds before you have to wait 5 to use it again :^)
fucking why

Attached: 1396751635562.gif (245x320, 538K)

The thing with Stalker difficulty is that in the lower options, bullets have a chance to, like, "fizzle". As in, it quite literally disappears in thin air. This goes for all bullets fired, including yours and your enemies'. This RNG can make gun fights pretty frustrating.
Master difficulty does away with that, so not only does it make it easier for you to be killed but it makes it easier for you to kill as well.
In short, always play on Master.

Main reason to play is because the AI is the best on master and gimped on the other difficulties (it was just that hard you gon get flanked and camped son). But also there is a weird thing with
Gunfights difficulty = sponginess
easier modes = you take a lot of hits but also enemies too, gunfights are more drawn out and forgiving (unrealistic)
master = gunfights are fast, you die in a few shots, headshot is always instant kill, many anomalies become instant kills, you basically have to be way more careful and meds like vinca and shit actually become useful because you can bleed out fast as fuck

youtube.com/watch?v=MyGQQ_cRqbg

Well the women are pretty naked most of the times it's not sexual or just plain not there or something to do with boobs and the guy who does it is always super fucked up about it.

>Trying to get into something of such a nature is actually dangerous (because you could get sucked into some type of crazy weird machine), it's why every movie you see on a TV is actually called something like the "Fantastic Voyage".

What do you mean porn is scary?

Because porn is scary, even the stuff where it actually is scary, is also a good bit of fun.

Yeah I agree with you on that point. I agree it's a bit of a slippery slope when you say in regards to violence against women and stuff. I mean it's okay to do stuff to girls to make themselves feel better in some way because it could be something that turns them around in the future but I still wouldnt want to be doing that if there's a good enough reason for that (like if he wants to be with the ones that want him) because it makes me think that someone that is interested in me to do that (like his parents) maybe will think it is okay.

I also know he doesn't seem to really like being alone at night and probably has to sleep most of the time, but he doesn't seem like a crazy person at all and in the very least he doesn't seem to care that much about how he wants to be the best.

This thread is my chance to put something out there that I think is valid, to give myself an excuse to look for love with him and to make myself feel better, to be honest, happy at the same time. Just in cases if I decide not to find him, maybe I can change myself, maybe I will make more progress on myself because I'm just thinking of how happy he would be with me and also realize how much I always loved him.

Attached: 1298361273612987 (4).jpg (500x450, 90K)

>1. Make sure there's absolutely no nudity
What kind of mom-approved horror is this?

It's STALKER you newfag

>no nudity
but more flesh is always good
flesh is a pillar of horror

I want a game that plays out like a slasher film. You play out a number of different scenarios as different characters (abandonned school, innawoods, a babysitter in the suburbs, etc...) and this spooky killer stalks and tries to kill you. In each chapter you can escape the killer or actually defeat him/her. As you survive you gain information about the killer (weaknesses, origin, etc...); the idea being that you probably aren't going to survive with your first couple of characters but if you do well enough with them you could figure out how to defeat the killer before you run out of characters. After you beat the game you would try and then see if you could defeat the killer as early as possible or in a specific chapter or whatever.

I like the idea of making character deaths mean something since if you die it's not just 'whoops restart at your last save point' it's now 'okay that story is over, you don't get to see any more of it. Now do the next one better this time' and then if you lose all your lives its game over. I guess a chapter select would be possible once you beat the game or something but definitely wouldn't be available from the start.

Attached: 435436363534.jpg (373x563, 33K)

>2. Tell the world more About the World and Characters
>It might not make for a very strong narrative
>3. Make it a really strong narrative.
uhh...

ITT: Wannabe fearless sociopaths flexing on other Yea Forumsirgins afraid of their own shadows

What kind of game are they making with a guy wearing a dress and a corset and a skirt and a tank top?
What happened to my mother when I was little? Is that why she wants to give up playing with you while I'm down?
Can you please explain to us why this game is about sex and being good at it
What made you want to make this video? Is there anything other than sex and good at it in it?
What game is this? Is it that amazing?
Why aren't people telling jokes about this kind of thing? Maybe because they're dumb?
What does the word "dude" sound like? What are you?
If it's made by a guy wearing a dress and a corset and a skirt and a tank top, it's not going to be good. What kind of game are they making with a guy wearing a dress and a corset and a skirt and a tank top?

Game's that let me experience something like this?

Why make a game that no one will ever play?

The Missing was a good game fuck off

Attached: 1846294562.png (630x428, 252K)

in awe at the schizophrenia of this lad. absolute nutcase.

what you are seeing now is the product of a decade of games that have featured lots of extreme sexualized violence in order to appeal to an age younger than me. The violent nature of games like Call of Duty and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty are well documented. In the 1990s there was The Golden Age of Video Games, a time that would have befit the Golden Age of Sex. Sex in games is usually as graphic and vulgar as you can get and has always been a large part of what the medium has done to appeal to people beyond just hardcore gamers.
In the 1990s and early 2000s, video games were still primarily marketed to older guys, and there was little difference between the two categories. The games were very violent and had a large focus on action packed gameplay and character growth. The big difference was that in each generation there were fewer games for boys and a larger selection for the girls. That was the golden age of gaming where gamers were always having fun and having fun was never the point. The point is that I was in love and had a great time with that character. I was able to go with my dream girl in a game that was always fun to have sex and to have sex wasn't what really mattered for me! But with most video game franchises today it isn't just about that and it isn't about the characters either because the world is changing, characters are becoming more and more sexualized and there are much more interesting stories. It's about storytelling and what makes a game a great one. I just finished the second installment of Dark Souls 3, I was sad to leave what was one of my favorite franchise, I was happy that I finally left it behind to work on another game. I guess when you look at the characters of the game though, especially the first one, you realize how good they were.

>1. Make sure there's absolutely no nudity
Gay

>thinking back on those dark souls 2 concept images

Fuck.

These posts feel like NPC dialogue from this guys horror game

Have sex

>Kelpie's weakness is cold
Good to know, need to hunt one this weekend.

The Thing had a shitty ps2 game iirc

Attached: tumblr_m0azwm25kd1qcsrd2o1_500.jpg (500x749, 96K)

Actually i think it is usually the opposite that they all describe the same lanky pale man or the alternative and literal GOATMAN
oh almost forgot the True American version:
>Me and my Navy SEAL squad we out for some tactical camping
>We went to an area were theres bears
>Wanted to travel light so we just brought a few assault rifles and my dad's LMG
>See lanky dude twitching like he's got the J.Fox's disease
>He smiles at us so we assume attack formation
>Inconvenience him with bullets till he leaves
>We all applaud and tip the skinwalker after the whole ordeal

Attached: thoughts on anime.jpg (600x465, 30K)

Where do you live? I will personally look up psychiatric hospitals near your region for you, seriously. No need to thank me.

Except this is 100% true
The Japanese have a higher IQ as a nation and a rich intricate culture while the west is barbaric and had degenerated massively.

Got em?

>sizzle
>sizzle
>THE ZONE CLAIMS ANOTHER LIFE

Attached: ken sama.jpg (600x800, 56K)

>muh latent fear of late capitalism
I want nu-gamers to leave

I love it. It reminded me of Silent Hill with zombies everywhere.

But this isn't the first time. If you were watching me on this video, you'd be forgiven (or perhaps you would be, judging by my lack of reaction) seeing my reaction, if not screaming. I didn't want any reaction, because the game's protagonist (who I never knew existed) was a very creepy person. I just wanted him or her to be alone with the camera but not with anyone – which wasn't easy to pull off.

Of course, that's how your reaction to any horror movie is supposed to be. There's no way that this game could not be scary (if you're actually having trouble making heads or tails of it.)

The only time this game was scary was during and right before the ending. I didn't play this much horror game (yet) — I am sure there's plenty more I can do with this particular horror game series — but when the protagonist says "let's go back", then the entire world is about to be torn apart from her breast meat. Not only did she not make any attempt at sex, but I wonder if this game is more for women only, or more for that guy that likes to take their sweet time getting to it. But that's just me: do you like the movie, especially "The Conjuring"?

The only time this game was scary was during and right before the ending. I didn't play this much horror game (yet) — I am sure there's plenty more I can do with this particular big huge breasts pulled apart legs horror game series — but when the protagonist says "let's go back", then the entire world is about to be torn apart from her breast meat.

Dreaming Mary

Attached: mary_1.jpg (545x418, 79K)

I live in New Jersey on most days and not always but enough that most people can probably find me there if they need to (and sometimes they need to like in your case) but I don't believe personally that I need any help.

These posts are legitimately excellent gibberish.

you are

I am Hokken master race and have nothing but respect for my Japanese brothers

>sometimes they need to like in your case
w-why would I need you

Anybody remember some freeware games a guy made based off his nightmares?
2D side-scroller. You aimed with the mouse and moved with WASD
Filled with nonsensical shit, linear game.

Eversion?

Attached: tumblr_ltvoagnYic1qcsrd2o1_1280.jpg (910x1280, 160K)

Anomalies, and distorted realities are fucking creepy. Specially when they feel out of place but still retain realistic appearence.
Reminds me of a dream I had long ago in which my bedroom would create copies of itself within the house.

If there's anyone that didn't shit their pants when you first saw mama spider in Bloodborne then I don't know what to tell you.

He was trying to grab your prize.

You said you wanted to you to find myself for psychiatric help, but I'm not sure I need that. I live in New Jersey (most of the time, but often enough) but have spent a lot of time in Florida.

You've told me for a while they're not really a place you would go "out of the blue," even for mental health care, but after a few hours of talking to a family doctor you come to realize that's not the case.

In some instances, they're really closed to you—the closest one being a hospital that's open most days in the day, except for one, Monday through Friday, for the weekend. They will sometimes accept you to be seen during that period; you won't likely meet with a different family doctor or psychiatrist at any point.

They are often very helpful—they've helped me in the past but aren't always able to treat me the way you're doing. Sometimes my therapist isn't able to help me or the kids I'm seeing in time for appointment as there aren't enough people available. But they certainly help, in some cases quite easily.

>not remembering Yume Nikki

>the handprints and shadows on the window behind them

Eh, Eversion's horror is forced on you no matter what.

>live in New Jersey
>most days
Shit you're really fucking close to me. Rt 3 and 7 are haunted by laughing demons btw and Jersey devil is real.

I feel the same, I feel like the whole world was made just to me.

Yume Nikki isn't a 2D side-scrolling shooter

Amon26?

He made a lot good stuff back then but unfortunately he has finished with the drugs.

Attached: maxresdefault (3).jpg (1280x720, 83K)

Neverending Nightmares?

I don't think its the wallpaper (although it does mess with the lighting). The cut on the back wall at the top and the slight tilt to the picture makes it surreal and weird imo.

That's the stuff!
Thanks bro

Actually I live very near Clinton road, do you know about clinton road it has a very good reputation for the paranormal and might actually be somewhat relevant to this thread after all. If you think we need to help me and can meet eachother I don't mind the thought and could even try meeting eachother on 287 and eat at a diner. I always order first and when I get soup I ask them to bring it with my meal not before.

The only time I felt this was the Vigilant mod for Skyrim. The first 2 acts were generic dungeon crawling/quests and then the third act goes some weird Amnesia and Silent Hill mix.

... Gyossait?

>Sometimes my therapist isn't able to help me or the kids I'm seeing
>the kids I'm seeing
worried.jpg

Yeah, flashlights that technically never run out, but have to keep recharging get no pases here. Those are still stupid, as they just result in players constantly turning on/off the damn thing like retards, and at worst the recharging times get in the way of exploration. Plus, they also come with narrow cones of light too. Dont know wtf thd devs are thinking here.

Attached: 1554155846577.jpg (665x574, 39K)

I'm surprised nobody has done a premium game like STALKER in VR. STALKER requires actual patience and focus on your environment. If you're careful enough you can traverse anomaly fields if you just know what signs to look and listen for. No other game has captured quite that experience or demand the attention to your environment.

Not him, but it makes sense to me. It's called the fight or flight response for a reason.
That user just gets a fight response.

Anyone else just browse these threads for game dev ideas?

Horror content creators should take note from Local58.
The first half of "Weather Report" and this one are great.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ-vBhGk9F4

Attached: 1557879693192.gif (320x180, 1.5M)

>Rt 3 and 7 are haunted by laughing demons
Expand on this. I love hearing about local legends.

Attached: 1556480650403-x.jpg (886x902, 89K)

Yeah, I can see how that would be scary.

Attached: 1520130145636.jpg (833x925, 157K)

worried that maybe I'm letting kids down by not talking to them the way I feel
1-17/12 3 days to a week (I haven't really gotten to this point, so I'm wondering how much I can talk about to kids)
1-25/12 1 - 2 hrs a week (This sounds like it would be a stretch as far as time I can spend with the kids right now.)
1-7/12 2 - 3 hrs a week
1-13/12 2 - 3 hrs a week
1-1/13 1 - 5 hrs a week
I have a bunch of other things coming my way, but most of this is going to come later. So if you're in the Los Angeles area or are close by, please check in with me. I usually schedule around 5-6 hours a week, but that is going up. There is going to be a ton of stuff going on at this point, but I'm glad to be helping you when I can. And I'll be using this time in between to do other writing and reading as well.
I'll post more.

Based fellow Jersey bro. I drove down Clinton Road and Shades of Death Road(different outings of course) with some lads in college way back when. Absolutely nothing paranormal happened either time but fuck was that a spine tingling experience.

Man the Yamero cat has seen some shit

From the spider's perspective it only needs to be effective once.

From game design the best bet would be to only do it once, or very rarely, but have various weeping women about at different parts.

Birds. It's a fear response to the fact that birds always stay quiet if they fear they're in danger, including when predators are around.

I think with OP's scenario is a kind of "awkward fear". I've had it when I walk into a room and get startled by a human-shaped shadow or object, I freeze and stare at it before figuring out what it is. But what if you walk into you're house and there's some monstrosity standing there staring at you, not doing anything. I think there's a certain amount of people who would just freeze there staring at the thing in pure disbelief and terror. I want a game to simulate that.

Attached: 1459831793932.jpg (579x780, 47K)

I'm scared STIFF OwO

This room shit is a good idea for a scary dream maybe, but as a videogame it would be boring garbage. The problem with subtle horror in vidya is that games need gameplay, and walking around old yellow hotel hallways for hours on end with annoying ambient noise wouldn't be fun or entertaining to 99% of people.

Game for this feel?

Attached: a2b.jpg_orig.jpg (752x604, 48K)

I fucking hate owls so much

Attached: dee14365976004e69686a65adb4f5c86.jpg (768x432, 72K)

Mat Brinkman, comic is Multiforce

Oh wow I live near there as well. Yeah I read weird NJ as a kid fascinated me with some of these strange local places. I'll have to pass on your offer though I'm too scared to meet strangers from Yea Forums in real life

This really made me sad.

psh... nothing personnel kid

Attached: 1554667389386-x.jpg (750x1137, 51K)

>Unbaptized child
>Heaven
Big yikes.

I thought this was a dog with a big nose from the thumbnail.

Fucking legend, I cannot thank you enough!

That would need to trigger some real primal fear, which would be way too difficult to do considering you know the game isn't really a threat. It would have to be so immersive that you forget that it's only fiction.

I don't particularly think of myself as being afraid of a lot of things but if something's really unexpected it can freak me out.
I had left an onion in my pantry for a while and I hadn't used the pantry either so when I went to go to my pantry it had sprouted a pretty huge cropping and for some reason that startled me so much i actually jumped backwards

I can hear it now...
youtu.be/kx8af6vE3Rc

I just made that up. But NJ highways are famous for being death traps with awful exits and sharp bends. Jersey Devil is a creature that lives in the vast pine barrens in the central part of the state. Clinton road is a haunted road. Read the weird NJ book it's a great compilation of spooky local legends. There are ones for the other states as well

>tfw she caught now in limbo for eternity

>tfw no creepy images scare me anymore

Attached: 1544872631800.png (720x629, 878K)

anyone else enjoy exploring abandoned old buildings?
I mean, I know a lot of people love to go into old factories, but office buildings and empty townhouses are pretty fun too
the musky smell, the creaking floors, 'old house'-noises, I actually love it
t's the only good thing about modern art galleries honestly, because they usually take place in one of these locations and not a lot of people attend them

Attached: 1536762754653.jpg (800x480, 191K)

I see you've never been to the Beige.

Word of warning though: Not all the rooms are empty. I found what I think was a sewing machine in one of them, but it was wrecked.
There was a spool of cotton - white I think - that led around the corner.
I didn't follow it; I know bait when I see it.
Saw a floor mattress a few hours later. That room didn't smell like damp carpet, it smelled more like burned meat.
Found a spot to noclip out shortly afterwards.
So yes, most of the rooms are empty but they aren't all empty.

Enjoy it, some user linked a zip of it a while ago but I can't find the link.

boomer

Suguru Tanaka. I wouldn't call it a knockoff though, their works clearly have very different atmospheres.

Attached: 46050c2fd655c09942dd04ff8f8502ab--red-queen-comic-artist.jpg (540x736, 26K)

Just gonna spitball an idea here, tell me what you think.

A game sort of like paranorman. The main character character can see ghosts but the vast majority are just sort of, there. The ghosts never interact with the character either. They always keep doing whatever it is they are doing while the player goes on about their game. But every so often, whenever the action picks up the player can notice that the ghost have started looking at them when the player isn't looking at them. Imagine when you turn to look to the left you see a ghost in that direction turning its head back to whatever its supposed to be looking at. Then when the player gets to into danger, the ghosts stop hiding this fact and just always stare at you. And every time something happens that could kill you (being shot at, or environmental hazards, etc) the ghosts react by smiling or something. And in the event your about to die/lose, sometimes a ghost will rush to you.

The phenomena that induces the feeling a lot of people in this thread are talking about is called liminal space. Essentially, it's caused by your front brain and hind brain having an argument over whether you're in danger.
Your front brain knows that the scenario is familiar and nonthreatening. Most common in schools, workplaces, anywhere you've spent a decent chunk of time.
Meanwhile, your hindbrain has an issue with one or two minor differences in context. Usually the lack of people, or sound indicating people are present.
So, your conscious mind says you're safe, and your unconscious brain says you're not. Rather than either side "overriding" the other, both sides argue with one another, leaving you feeling unsettled.

>implying the söyboys in the industry right now are capable of subtlety
It's over user, the estrogen epidemic is here and games will be shit for the rest of your life.

love this one but its not a real quote

>some dutch guy owns the idea of grody shit
you're the kind of faggot who calls everything lovecraftian too

>horror game based on SCP 3008

Attached: 1545454823647.png (265x294, 72K)

lmao too shitty to not survive an abortion attempt
git gud sis

It would stop being scary when you get used to them I think, maybe after the first few times they look at you. Also just the context that they are ghosts isn't scary by itself. It would be scarier I think if it was used sparingly

The ultimate roastie

Probably nothing to worry about. This thread is rather tame.

SS13, easily.

>when she is ready to settle down

this
The uncanny familiarity and strangeness of e.g. abandoned middle management offices is a perfect setting for horror games.

Attached: 1493934274099.jpg (548x535, 36K)

you may quite literally have autism

banal environments can be creepy. There was a really shitty SCP game I played that was still fun about the endless ikea. It spooked me a good bit

1733 is a good one but I feel its let down by how quickly it degenerates into lolmurder

thaumielgames.com/index.php/scp-3008/
Not sure if its horror, but a game based off of SCP-3008 is being made.

Just play along bro. Reality is depressing as fuck.

This is it. I think I played the demo. Not much to the game but good for a 1 hr spook

BRO IS SO GOOD IF YOU MAKE YOURSELF BELIEVE IT IS

It's less scary when you can shoot it in the face

PILLS HERE

Does anyone remember what was that one game that about driving in a road at night with random shit happening?

Dead End Road

The flashlight in Metro was fine though

I had the concept of a friction lamp, it would require you to charge it by using the lamp and action button at the same time but it would emit noise.

Honestly it's hard to implement given that I want to give it a 4-6 minutes battery life with a 20% buffer before it starts to go dimmer and flicker with about 20-40 seconds of pumping to get it to full.

However if I give it too much time I risk breaking the illusion of almost perpetual darkness and expose the game's model a bit too much but if I don't then the pumping wich is supposed to be your time of vulnerability that forces you to hide and recharge tedious or break the pace of the game.

I currently went for high battery life but added roaming noise related enemies that gain aggro tokens once footsteps or the crank option is used.

If the player is spotted they emit an attack call and all enemies in the area detect the player.

I'm liking this crank mechanic and it seems to have some good result in my friend testing it but I'm quite worried some people would perceive it as fake difficulty.

But what if the pistol doesnt do anything? What if the devs gave you that pistol so they could give you confidence and betray your expectations

I haven't done it in years, no opportunities around where I live, but god is it great

I guess
I was mostly talking about stalker specifically

He works for the mercenary, the masketta man.

You had better hope he spawned close to you. Controllers are the only enemy that can straight up end a run in Ironman Dead Air or Anomaly with a 1 shot psychic bolt across the map before you see him. At least bloodsuckers you can roughly make out the direction they're coming from. It's not that I've seen them or killed a bunch of them before. It's how nervewracking that shit is when you know one is in your area. Also the ones in Anomaly sometimes wear trench coats and look like bandits with weird animations from behind

But everyone is ONE person user

Attached: SINGULARITY.jpg (353x550, 32K)

Do it, user. I recently played SH3 for the first time this year. I loved it.

>

Attached: sinko peso.jpg (800x450, 40K)

>be walking through red forest
>all quiet
>not even a boar running around
>suddenly WHOOOOOOOOOSHH and jumpscare
>not even any build up or warning
>audibly yell and close the game

Fuck fog

>Ju On
is that the one with the painted up kid running around in a diaper

Lovecraft's settings and ideas were groundbreaking, but his plots are terrible, and the characters forgettable. Bloodborne is by far the best possible adaptation, and the story is miles better than anything old Howie wrote.

>No one mentioning the perfect horror game

Attached: 220px-FEAR_DVD_box_art.jpg (220x308, 22K)

You what's the most terrifying thing about that OP image. It's actually real.

His best work was the stuff that was inspired by Poe's fiction. Shadow Over Innsmouth could have easily been a Poe story if you replaced some elements of the Mythos with ghosts or other kinds of more nebulous supernatural elements.

>Shadow Over Innsmouth could have easily been a Poe story if you replaced hatred of the Welsh with hatred of Black people

>when me mom ran out of the abortion clinic because she wants to keep my sister
Good girl

It's not like Lovecraft loved black people either.

He came around later in his live, he put a lot of thought into renaming his dad's cat

>BING BONG
I remember these threads. Good times

Don't be sad. No actual child would behave this way. This image is just meant to manipulate you.

I want to grind that escalator so badly.

Where is this image from ive felt like ive seen this in a dream. Is the from resident evil or dead rising

It's an actual mall, it probably looks familiar because you've probably been to place that looked just like this way back

spitballing some idea guy gameplay stuff

A segment where you can control the character just fine, but when you stop inputting stuff, the character starts automatically doing something bad. IE the character would subconsciously point a gun at himself or walk to danger if you don't manually control him at all times. Also no pause button just to be extra stressful

Dedicated suicide button. No death state from external sources, but you can get stuck permanently in unsolvable puzzles or looping failstates.

If your surroundings can kill you, maybe obnoxious long death animations of being eaten alive, but you still have the suicide button

Lethargic states where you have to mash a button over and over to get one press out and move super slow

Attached: 502255276_c29cf5aa70_z.jpg (640x424, 67K)

I actually remember this from a dream. I must've seen the image before and I just don't remember myself seeing it.

Attached: PoliceSketch.jpg (708x590, 40K)

Holy fuck go back to Facebook.

sounds super fucking annoying

would have been better if you put a basedboy wojak with the post

I have a sister and I fucking hate her and she hates me, fuck off with this shit

I'm late to this must can confirm. Happened to me 1 year ago. Pissed the fuck off.

this is basically what most of my dreams are like

boo

The flashlight in Metro is perfect. The tension of not having an unlimited light source without the tedium of scrounging for batteries.

Okay but you can do that with literally anything
>office building what never ends
>department store what never ends
>forest what never ends
>your house what never ends
Nothing special about that OP image.

Dead Rising 1 actually becomes scarier when the military comes in and cleans out the zombies and the once packed mall becomes an eerie lonely walk from point a to b as frank.

Remember playing older GTAs and sometimes you’d find no one on the street, just the wind and distant car sounds? Always found that creepy.

I want a minecraft mod for 3008

DAMN YOU

The best kind of threads.

would have been better if batteries were scarce but lasted a long time

Friday the 13th is already out.

Lewd

thx for the wallpaper

>FEAR
>perfect horror game
>le ebin jumpscare little girl
>le ebin shaky glitchy vhs visuals trope
>le ebin audio cut in and out when near le spook trope
absolute not, FEAR as a horror game is bottom tier. But gameplay wise, it's pretty fun and it has some good TECHNOLOGY

not spooky in the least, just tedious and pretentious. Leave the idea guy stuff to people who have more than 2 braincells to rub together

Based.

the acknowledgement of fates worse than death

Attached: RockinDaisy.png (520x1305, 344K)

>no game where you teach the monster the very important lesson that humans are the real monsters

Attached: absolute_madman[1].png (689x693, 675K)

damn... so scary... if i eat this magic candy that turns me into a rock... it turns me into a rock... woah... being killed instantly by every single aspect of my body, organ and bone being instantly turned into stone is very spooky
thanks for the tru spooks user

lmao

>horror games need to stop focusing on thing that works to thing that doesn't
You know what works? Resident Evil when there's monsters that you can't kill.

You know what doesn't? Times when the game tries to creep you out, but fails because it's just a videogame on a screen.

It's more the implication that she's still conscious and has been sitting there for like 50 years paralyzed

The artist seems to have a 'thing' for scenarios like that

Attached: dragon heart.png (648x2880, 539K)

Imagine starting a scary story with the word noclip and then thinking it would be scary.

Attached: 1555551903711.jpg (417x480, 64K)

I just want a game where the aliens/monsters/paranormal things get their shit kicked in by a straight up sadistic special forces team working for a secret research division or something. Some real CIA shit.

Imagine Justin Brolin in Sicario throat punching casper the friendly lab experiment from cell 23.

There's a scene from a movie called Addio Africa where these white soldiers were fighting African tribesmen, and in it, the white soldiers try to fool the Africans by playing bird chirping sounds from loudspeakers attached from treetops so they can get the jump on them. As primitive as it is, it's useful to know.

>that kid who used to noclip into the skybox in gym class
teh lats thing we hurd was his SCREMS and we nevr saw him agin

THA END

Attached: 1558032624675.jpg (693x663, 60K)

That’s exactly what I would feel at my old workplace when the lights would auto shut off after a certain time (pic related)

Everything calm and peaceful during the day but at night a more ominous tone took over as you realize you’re the only one on the floor and security is scarce

Attached: 3FEF686C-2F78-4ABF-89A2-EC274D133F26.jpg (528x960, 33K)

>teh lats thing we hurd was his SCREMS and we nevr saw him agin
ADMIN ABUUUUSE!

>Coming up with the most autistically specifically absurd scenario to play out your fear fantasy
>Even in this scenario fetishisticly created for the purpose of the "conscious freeze" horror cliche it's obvious the woman would die
Who, pray-tell, writes these?

>implying noclip in real life wouldn't be fucking pantshittingly scary

youtube.com/watch?v=x-pj8OtyO2I

Attached: ball of nerves.png (617x567, 179K)

>Void walkers are able to post on Yea Forums
Shoo shoo

Yeah mate, I got that. I've seen them plenty of shitposted times before, to boot. My point is that power ups exist within the mario universe and that he's writing something to jerk off to that isn't scary in the slightest like you tried to imply, because it's both an impossibility and not scary to begin with.
It can literally only be two scenarios
power ups exist in mario (they do)
>mario (and crew) can literally turn into a statue, a frog, a cat, 40 feet tall, spawn clones of themselves etc
power ups don't exist in mario
>eat magic rock that turns you into a rock which would kill you instantly
wow spooky, real spooked to my bones

Damn. That's a shame.

>

FNAF1 at least is a solid game, memers aside

Silent Hill 2 pulled this off when you first Pyramid Head.

Cute would unironically date

Let's see how that bastard grey looks with 9 milimeters of lead in between his big faggy eyes

Seems like a lame version of House of Leaves.

>Boredom is scary now.

>*hunter growling*

And then a skeleton popped out

I think it's because horror is just so individualized. We can all probably agree on the basic premise of an action game or an adventure game, but everyone has their own unique breaking point for horror stuff. We all share certain instinctual fears, but even that's to different degrees depending on the person.

How about make them difficult with limited saves, you know to actually make the horror somehow meaningful. Also I think they should just stop bothering marketing horror games in the way they do. Horror is very subjective. Just market it simply as a game. Limited marketing is best because you don't want to show people all the horror stuff and ruin it all. These horror games should try to not so overtly try scaring people. Maybe just make it so that you're killing and trying to survive without much jump scares or forced obnoxious types of horror. A minimal story and cutscenes.

Just my thoughts on this.

>this house has people in it
i remember this coming on at 4am while hanging out with my gf in her dorm in the winter before i dropped out. super fucking creepy.thank god cartoon network started up pretty much right after to make a good palate cleanser. shit was the kind of creepy that made me feel depressed.
later that day when the sun was out we watched more infomercials, unedited footage of a bear is really good.
youtu.be/2gMjJNGg9Z8

Thats basically how metro's flashlight works if I remember right.

she looks like she gives good succ

Based

Fix your mental sanity?

Please give me sauce...

And recommendations for games like the stanley parable?

Attached: QCf6voD.jpg (620x800, 82K)

Sometimes when i wake up in the middle of the night I feel like somethings watching me, when i actually try to close my eyes i feel dread. So i have to stay awake for like 15 minutes for it to go away.
Its not just dread, i start shivering and breathing heavily, its a horrible feeling.

Imagine the smell

Sorry, I'll try not to be so noticeable from now on.

thanks monster-kun

The Lotus Nipple both initiated and cured my phobia of this.

that's your instincts letting you know that shit could be anywhere. Helped keep us alive, ages ago.

Whenever I get the feeling that there could possibly be someone or something else in my house, I start cackling loudly and talking like a crazy person to scare them away. Anyone else do this?

This reminds me of that glitch you can do to clip out of bounds in A Link to the Past.
Turns out all the dungeons in that game are actually on one huge grid.
The creepy part is there's some rooms on the grid that never got used so it's just an empty room with nothing in it, if you clip in bounds in one you're trapped forever.
I love subtly creepy stuff like that as a result of glitches in games, happens all the time if you use glitches or walk through walls or whatnot to go far out of bounds.

>security guard in a non-haunted building
ie. all of them.

based horror patrician

It wouldn't.

>Acting like horror movie audiences actually want to get scared

Not particularly scary but this is a really cool picture

Wait am I supposed to be scared of this picture? I see it posted a lot but it just reminds me of a scary video of some guys hunting ghosts which I doubt a lot of people haven't seen.

Seeing these art pieces has inspired me to take my chance at art. Does anyone have any advice?

Attached: eye.jpg (560x448, 97K)

Yeah, don't bother talking about it, just start

Tell me about your honest to god fear Yea Forums and I might make a game out of it.

Attached: 30.2017.jpg (1080x720, 71K)

Alien was a perfect example of how it should be done. Make some enemies killable while others invincible.

My fear is you not making a game based on my fear.