How would you fix the horror genre?

How would you fix the horror genre?

Attached: 1558083566167.png (1762x991, 1.43M)

i don't know, i'd say there was already a new wave of games that "fixed" it and the subsequent youtube screamer culture it cultivated killed it again

make it spookier

more jump scares

>patrolling enemies that don't despawn
>player has no means to defend himself
>no consequence for death
>have the player find an obscure item in a maze like level to be able to progress

exactly what i'm saying, games like amnesia already figured this out ages ago, it became popular again, it stagnated again, and here we are

>player has no means to defend himself
this meme is what killed horror in the first place
run n hide sims are trash

Fag, its either no defense, or defense so poor you may as well run.
Not being able to handle something is the essence of horror.

obviously make it possible to see enemies through walls and give the player cinematic stealth takedown quick time events.

STALKER 2 when?

Horror-puzzle games

how can you be scared if you're rambo blasting through meat? because it's dark and the monsters jump out and are really gross looking? i guess FEAR and doom 3 sort of pulled it off but in terms of raw horror vulnerability is key

Full VR get-up that includes shock collars around the neck, wrists and ankles. Being attacked activates the shock collars for a second on medium power. Dying administers a 5 second shock on maximum power.

not at all
Amnesia, Outlast, etc. are terrible horror games because of this bullshit. There's no fear or tension to it, it becomes a puzzle stealth game where as soon as you're spotted its basically "well I'm fucked so I might as well just stand here and let it kill me so I can retry that checkpoint." which isn't scary at all, especially if you're seeing the same one or two death animations whenever you die.
Games like Metro, Darkwood, Silent Hill are better at creating horror and tension because everything is hard to kill and you're always low on resources, they don't go full retard and give you no chance whatsoever. Even Penumbra let you kill enemies with the hammer if you were determined enough.

>how can you be scared during a home invasion if you have a gun?

SERE training horror game
>must escape a wide area unnoticed
>if you get noticed the enemy will chase you and use any means available to make the chase go as long as possible
>sometimes they just stop chasing you on purpose just to found you later exhausted and make you run more for miles
>after a while you eventually get captured
>have to force you way through their main base with pschycological horron and physical horron around you
>maybe add some shit like "The thing" when you found allies you don't know if you could trust them or not
put it like that it sounds great, but i'm not sure how it would play

>are terrible horror games because of this bullshit.
Don't you try to sit here and pretend Amnesia did make you scream like a girl.
>"well I'm fucked so I might as well just stand here and let it kill me so I can retry that checkpoint."
You are weak prey, my adrenaline kicks in, i look at death and say not this day, I run for my fucking life, if luck is on my side I survive. The chase is always tense and fearful.
>Metro, Darkwood, Silent Hill are better at creating horror and tension because everything is hard to kill and you're always low on resources
I will allow you a pass on this, but if theres combat, i want it so fucking hard I might as well not do it.

i'm talking about games where the monsters are just generic enemies and you're effectively a super soldier
you want to drop the player into a house with a single handgun with unknown, intimidating enemies that are much more likely to kill you first, then that might be something

>Fag, its either no defense, or defense so poor you may as well run.
I disagree
I'd like to see a horror game where you have guns or magic or whatever to fight normally with and there's normal monsters you can fight, but then there's also the real threats to make you shit your pants when they show up
That way each fight becomes stressful because you risk being caught out by the real monsters while trying to deal wih lesser threats, or even outright drawing their attention towards you from all the noise and shit
Book Simon from Cry of Fear always made me sweat when he rocked up in multiplayer because he had an asston of HP, you didn't know where he'd come from or what he'd interrupt you in the middle of, and he had a fucking shotgun where most of the other enemies just had knives and stuff

>vulnerability is key

Correct, but removing such a large risk/reward element removes much of the game's tension. That's why horror games should leave combat as an option, but a suboptimal one due to high risk or a cost that can bite you in the ass later.

It's also why horror games benefit really well from a metroidvania-esque environment/objective design. Backtracking and anticipating encounters adds a bigger fear element and a layer of strategy at the same time.

>Full VR get-up that includes shock collars around the neck, wrists and ankles. Being attacked activates the shock collars for a second on medium power. Dying administers a 5 second shock on maximum power.
SAW VR

food
water
A T M O S P H E R E

Attached: 1526142629542.jpg (640x480, 97K)

they still havent toped this version of scarecrow

An actually good concept
ie. Soma
fuck horror gameplay

Amnesia never really scared me honestly because the entire game just felt like going through the motions to finish the story.
and the monsters are sort of goofy looking after the first time you see them
I guess it all just feels more artificial to me if there's no fight or flight kicking in when you see an enemy, theres not as much of an "oh fuck" moment if you go in knowing you can't do anything but run away or purposely die to game the system.

Games with tons of combat can still be scary. They rely on the tension of whether or not you'll make it despite your arsenal and it gives you something to do other than hide and seek. STALKER is great for this feeling.
>wandering around
>see building surrounded by zombies
>might have cool loot inside
>I have like 500 rounds of ammo and tons of medkits what could go wrong lol
>sneak in
>end up traversing an underground secret laboratory with zombies and monsters constantly on my ass
>run out of medkits
>have to decide whether to risk running past enemies, fighting them, exploring for medkits, or trying to find an exit
>fuck it, gun them all down, use last of my bandages to stop bleeding
>finally see a light at the end of a tunnel
>cue sewer level with only 20 rounds of ammo left
>eventually make it out
>enemy helicopter blows my ass up as soon as I step outside
I was terrified the whole time and I loved every second of it.

penumbra overture is totally pants-shitting until you realize you can just stand on a box and destroy everything with a broom

By not making these threads every week.

there's still enough room for your nintendo threads calm down

what game

Apparitions need to stalk the night.

Attached: 1550745915098.jpg (933x700, 39K)