Top 3 releases in 2019 on Steam are Japanese games

>Top 3 releases in 2019 on Steam are Japanese games
>Two of the big eight 2019 games are indies
>The three flops are western AAA

So it's basically over for AAA western devs, isn't it? (Not even mentioning Anthem)

Attached: rage 2 lmao 2 2.jpg (1590x1232, 432K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcharts.com/app/818960
forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/05/16/ubisoft-reveals-the-division-2-did-not-meet-sales-expectations-on-ps4-and-xbox-one/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Anthem flopped
>Rage 2 flopped
>Far Cry New Dawn flopped
>MK11 flopped
>The Division 2 flopped
Feels good, western trash is dying since zoomers only care about Fortnite.
I personally can't wait.

>>Far Cry New Dawn flopped
No it didn't. It sold really well for a standalone expansion pack. When you consider that story DLC typically has 5-20% buy rates, New Dawn selling pretty solidly at $40USD raked in the money for Ubisoft considering New Dawn was literally made in 12 months. Far Cry 5, meanwhile, was the best selling Ubisoft game this generation. Ubisoft had three of the top 12 best selling games on Steam in 2018. Far Cry 5, AC: Odyssey, and Siege.

Pathetic weebs posting their nonsense is getting boring.

You do realize that player peak numbers do not translate to sales, right?

>N-no, it didn't flop, I-it was successful, REEEEEEEEEE
Oof

Pretty sure they have a correlation, considering this game sold 300 copies

>peak is 7 players

steamcharts.com/app/818960

Attached: tayal steam.png (835x856, 132K)

Resident Evil 6 has an all-time peak of about 11,000 players. It has sold somewhere between 1 and 2 million copies. There are plenty of games with low-ish peak numbers that had great legs and just kept selling.

>being proud of selling 300 copies
That's painfully bittersweet. Good on 'em for making a game at all though.

If New Dawn wasn't successful, Ubisoft would have mentioned it in their latest financial report. New Dawn is a game aimed squarely at people who finished the gigantic Far Cry 5 and wanted to know what happened next in the story. It's a 10-20 hour long standalone story expansion that cost $40 at release. It sold out on Amazon when it went on sale. It was developed in a year. Why on earth do you think it was a flop?

The game's reviews seem really positive. I wish Steam could fix their discovery problems so games like this got the attention they deserved.

Assblasted shill

>Anthem sold 3.7 million units
>Flop
>DMCV sold 2 million units
>Not a flop
???

You're the one who's assblasted, user. You're the kind of person who is in denial about how GTA IV's singleplayer DLC sold.

>$300 million dollar budget movie only makes $150 million at the box office while indie movie that costs $10 million makes $80
>WTF HOW DID BIG BUDGET MOVIE FLOP????

anthem was in development for longer and had more people working on it
plus it was expected to make more money

> What are size of budgets vs. estimated returns

>The Division 2 flopped

I don't think that is accurate.

forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/05/16/ubisoft-reveals-the-division-2-did-not-meet-sales-expectations-on-ps4-and-xbox-one/

It's been over for western devs for quite some time now

Just because it didn't meet sales expections on two platforms doesn't mean it "flopped". There's some irony in this thread being based on PC sales while people are ignoring The Division 2 on PC. Probably because they're Steam Drones.

Didn't sell as much as the first one that's for sure.

none of those western games were as expected to be big releases (except maybe for Rage 2 and its a shame its not doing well)
lets see how Doom Eternal and Cyberpunk 2077, and something else not stolen by Epic Games will do

Those 3 Japanese games are basically the biggest releases this year for Japan
name 1 game that will probably reach their success

>anthem
>sells almost 4m
>omg it's a flop
You're a flop, op. Your parents need to get a refund.

>none of those western games were as expected to be big releases

Anthem, you retard

so retards are using steam charts to show if a game called now you know there is more than just steam out there right retards

>you know there is more than just steam out there right retards

*crickets*
*howling owl noise*

It did tho. Company cares only about profit

All Ubisoft games are on Uplay as well. Literally all keys you buy, plus physical copies, of Ubisoft games are Uplay versions. Which are typically cheaper. According to Ubisoft, PC makes up 27% of their market while Xbox is 20%. Using just Steam numbers is misleading.
The Division met or exceeded their PC sales expectations, otherwise they would have said so.

>I don’t know what a profit margin is

Are you implying PC sales compensated for shit console sales? I don't think so
More like they had no expectations for PC at all

Anthem Sold more but was considered a flop because it cost to much and was expected to sell much much more

what does this really tell us though?

a game as shitty as Anthem can sell gangbusters but still be a flop while great games like Hitman 2, Prey, Dishonored 2, and The Evil Within 2 will flop

What does this really tell us?

Its honestly no wonder Metro Exodus, Control, Borderlands 3, Outer Worlds, and the Sinking City decided to take the safety net of an Epic Games bonus

What are game studios really to do?

Will all games be as fortunate as Sekiro, DMCV, and Resident Evil 2?

Attached: d6379d012589132ffcafb149067be8d88a5ee5b9_hq.gif (500x375, 308K)

found the high school drop-out nigger

>Are you implying PC sales compensated for shit console sales?
Potentially.
>More like they had no expectations for PC at all
Ubisoft had three of the best selling PC games of 2018. I'm sure they had expectations.

This is a good thread despite it being reposted every day.
I hate western practices and like to see them fail.
Maybe one day they'll learn.

It's always weird when you see weebs ignoring that Call of Duty games sell 20+ million copies on the average year, as they "celebrate" their underage dating sims selling a glorious 2 million copies.

What did The Evil Within 2 do to deserve to flop

>games with smaller budgets and clearer vision do better than games with ballooned budgets and committee-led design.
I would say I hope this is a lesson but I know it won’t be.

it was a shameless cashgrab

Attached: 112d.jpg (799x543, 63K)

No one cares about normies that buy CoD/Madden/FIFA every year because everyone just assumes it will be wildly successful.
Kinda like capeshit movies.

And a much better game than the first one Mikamicuck

But user, it is already confirmed the three of its five has sold more than DMC5, RE2, Sekiro. Weeb BTFO. lol
You know, Anthem has shipped over 5 million while RE2 has just shipped 4 million. and according to NPD, the most selling game in the US until now is Division 2. And it is highly likely MK11 will top it.

you have to be kidding me, Evil Within is a masterpiece

basically

maybe devs just need cut their losses and start making smaller but more frequent games

but graphic whores and whales hurt the industry as much as sjws, and games as a service

whales basically caused games as service to be a thing. "i spent $1000 on this free experience, i wonder why a $60 game thought it would be a good idea to implement those practices!

and graphic whores are what really pushed for games to have bloated budgets and start prioritizing a cinematic experience over a stable one

Attached: 1536295377084.jpg (330x330, 18K)

what does that even mean in a capitalist system
devs need to make money

Reminder that John Jonas was responsible for most of the good stuff in TEW1. Reminder that Mikami is a hack that got the credit for Resident Evil even though basically none of it was his idea.

TEW 1 sucks

It is really depressing seeing people argue that A Plague Tale isn't worth the money because "It's only 12 hours long".

what is it about japanese games that makes them fucking soulless and unnappealing

i find mordhau to be by far the best in this list, and i would probably still pick rage 2 before dipping into any of that jap shit

I think tEW2 has better music and monster design, but personally I can't stand the survival style open world approach they took, Plus they ruined Sebastian.

That’s easy, you have shit taste.

Did you play both games? Second game is literally pulled out of the shitter. Everything in it is horrible.
>Reminder that John Jonas was responsible for most of the good stuff in TEW1.
yeah he surely did a lot more as a special effect guy than actual game director. Shut the fuck up you dumb fuck.

>only hate soulless jap shit
i have racist taste desu

I don't get it either
there's no way DMC6 will sell as well as 5
DMC5 had the benefit of being a "big return to form that everyone is talking about"
6 won't have that benefit
and people were already saying that they weren't going to buy DMC5 because it was "short" (like harder difficulties aren't more content)
DmC's failure is why DMC5 did so well, DMC5's success is why DMC6 will do worse if it doesn't try to be "bigger" than DMC5

I just don't get this mentality, I know these fucks play notihng but endless F2Ps anyways, why does it matter to them that a $60 game needs to be 60+ hours

Serious reminder. People who like TEW1 tend to be RE4 fans. People who like TEW2 tend to be Silent Hill fans. It really shocked me when I realized that Resident Evil fans and Silent Hill fans DETEST each other's preferred game design. Silent Hill was all about wandering through a town running away from monsters and occasionally shooting stuff. You can see particularly strong parallels between Downpour and TEW2, but really the DNA goes back to Silent Hill 1. You'd think that "survival horror" fans would would appreciate all forms of survival horror, but RE fans basically only like RE, and nothing else. And unfortunately for TEW2, a lot of RE fans saw TEW as a series to an RE substitute and resented it shifting to becoming Silent Hill-esque.
>yeah he surely did a lot more as a special effect guy than actual game director.
You are aware that Mikami is a hack, right? All the good stuff in Resident Evil came from Kenichi Iwao. Mikami fundamentally didn't understand survival horror. He didn't understand that the protagonists couldn't be superhuman cyborgs. Capcom had to send in Iwao to fix Mikami's dumpster fire. The reason TEW1 is so disjointed overall is because Mikami has no idea how to craft a cohesive horror work. The best parts of the game were handled by Jonas.

I think the moment I knew it was the end eas when I saw people say that RE2make was shit because it was only around 20 GB.

Is new dawn any good?

i'm always surprised when a game is under 40gb but i could never be disapointed
no fucking way people said that shit
thats gotta be shills (since AAA devs fighting over hardrive space seems like a thing to make the user priortize space on their console)

>best parts of the game were handled by Jonas
yeah that's why second game is "le ebin survival" with dumb as fuck AI, reused bosses and absolute dogshit story. Also it's not even scary at all.
But hey, at least special effects are good!

Something I notice about the recent string of Japanese games that sold really well is that they had a massive hype machine behind them. TEW2 sold middlingly, but RE2 Remake sold quite well. Why? Well, the hype machine. The videogame industry has this weird issue where game quality really doesn't matter. A fucking train wreck like Monster Hunter World on PC sold millions in a week. It was a disaster of a port. Why did it sell so well? The waves of HYPE. People got swept away on this insane wave of hype around a game and even when the product barely worked, they kept buying it.

This is a good thing. Western devs NEED to embrace the AA meme or die in order to prosper and reclaim the competition with japs for good games. This way we all win and the ps2 2.0 era is born.

Attached: smooth jew.png (385x545, 217K)

It's solid. It's basically Far Cry 5+Primal+Instincts. Wraps up the story from FC5. (Kinda like Dishonored: Death of the Outsider.) Has some nifty additions like Expeditions. It goes on sale for 20 bucks occasionally. If it had been sold as DLC for FC5, it wouldn't have gotten a fraction of the animosity it did.

I think you’re wrong on that one. I hold RE4 up as arguably the best game ever made and I think anyone with half a brain should be able to tell you that TEW2 is a much better game.
Then again I’ve always considered myself very open to a variety of game genre’s and design styles so maybe it’s just me.
That or I have a lower tolerance for shittly designed substitutes.

Do you like Silent Hill? Do you consider Silent Hill to be scary?

It's a huge piece of shit. Not even worth to pirate

>I hold RE4 up as arguably the best game ever made and I think anyone with half a brain should be able to tell you that TEW2 is a much better game.
I feel that TEW2 improves upon RE4 in most aspects, but RE4 has a very die-hard fanbase that doesn't appreciate such ruminations.

How is New Dawn a piece of shit? I found it to be one of the funnest games this year. It's the closest thing to a Far Cry Instincts successor we've gotten so far. Plus it had a dope soundtrack.

thats the number 1 thing op's bait doesn't follow

those well selling games had hype (except maybe Risk of Rain 2 but it was literally giving a 2nd copy away for free)

Rage 2 honestly tried to fake hype

devs like to follow this idea that there's no such thing as bad publicity (Sekrio kind of had fake bad publicity with people crying for an easy mode)

but bad never underestimate how retarded the reactionary community is. i mean look at this shit

Just get Rage 2 if you want a post-apoc neon colored FPS as it has much better gunplay.

If you went off this list you would think devil may cry 5 did big numbers or something, but nope it only sold 2 million. That's even with the large concurrent player number and people posting on here everyday about it. Only 2 mil.

The fact that it isn't getting DLC tells you the devs know it didn't do enough so calling it a "top" release of 2019 is being generous.

I think hype definitely is the best way to get your game through the door but if you want it to be successful beyond launch day and not have everyone forget about it or completely turn on it the game needs to be good too.
The reason MHW has continued to sell despite its bad state on PC at launch (with some problems still not fixed to this day) is simply because a lot of people really love the game.

>If you went off this list you would think devil may cry 5 did big numbers or something, but nope it only sold 2 million.

How is that not big for a single player game?

It was clearly enough for Capcom given that they sounded pretty happy with it in the yearly fiscal report.

They aren't making dlc because the director is moving on to make DD2 you dumb mystery meat mutt

Attached: 1553159922506.jpg (1024x1024, 135K)

what can devs who don't have the luxury of being 20 year old franchise even do?
hell sometimes that doesn't help either (see Hitman 2)

a bad PC port will still sell if everyone (even people who aren't PC) are talking about the game

Nier A Tomato continued to sell on PC desptie it's shit port because most people on PS4 were having a good time on it

>If you went off this list you would think devil may cry 5 did big numbers or something
Looking through this thread it seems far too many of you do not understand scope. A low budget product does not need to sell 50 mil to be profitable and DMC5 is a niche series, hell it's best selling game, lifetime physical totals, is DMC4 around 6 mil. What's silly is Capcom even bragged about it's success not once but twice yet some of you are still desperately trying to claim otherwise.

It’s hard, but all you can do really is find a niche that wants what you’re selling and make the best game you can.
It might work, it might not, but that’s life.

stop talking like you're my mom trying not to convince me that i'm a loser

i'm talking what a developer (not a person)
can realistically do to survive in this market

>can realistically do to survive in this market
If you want to enter a hyper-competitive industry, you have to prepare for the likelihood of failure.
Look at Mordhau. That game certainly had a low key shilling campaign around but for the most part it sold on word of mouth due to its quality.

JUST

and people wonder why Farcry and Assassin's Creed games are so plentiful