You have 30 seconds to tell me why this shitty game flopped so hard

You have 30 seconds to tell me why this shitty game flopped so hard

Attached: PlayStation-Allstars-Battle-Royale-Review.jpg.optimal.jpg (570x300, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/PlayStationFR/status/1128608461573345282
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It came out in November 2012, around the time Wii U came out and ICarly ended

Two (2, II) Cole MacGraths.

because you had to win with super move or something

Bad roster
Obvious Smash clone
Huge wasted potential

I'm still sad about it

Sony didn't give it much of a budget and the devs weren't able to get the important third parties like Crash and Spyro. Shame, it's a cool concept I wouldn't mind seeing with an actual budget.

Budget of a PSN game
Third parties weren't on board with their most iconic characters (Capcom pushed for Donte) with the exception of Ken Levine flat out giving them Big Daddy and even writing his story
Supers to kill sucked

People bring this up a lot but if the roster was better nobody would've gave a shit
Same way we have clones in Smash
SuckerPunch was the one who pushed for two Coles also

Cameos of dead series out the ass. Like holy fuck Marketing probably killed themselves trying to sell this.

Awful representation of certain series.

Worse than brawl.
If you make it like melee then anyone who is attached to melee will drop nintendo just to play it

>Cameos of dead series out the ass.
Smash technically does this at times.
If anything, most obscure/dead Sony IP's are more interesting than more popular/alive ones.

Maybe but it doesn't sell.

yeah but I would rather play fat princess instead of being reminded there hasn't been a fat princess game in a few years

And don't get me started on patapon.

The biggest problem with a Playstation fighting game is that many characters that people consider to be "Playstation All-Stars" and expect to be in the game (Snake, Cloud, Crash, etc.) are also third party. If you can't get the rights to them, then you're screwed. And they couldn't get them.

Next, we have the issue of Sony not really caring that much. They gave it a low budget (which helped result in the above issue), sort of tossed it out there to die, and didn't support it. Meanwhile, Nintendo always gives Smash the star treatment.

Then there are other problems like the gameplay needing a special move to finish off an opponent, the DLC starting off with characters no one really cared about, then cancelling the DLC with Abe from Oddworld because of low selling DLC.

Attached: thinking snake.png (213x226, 102K)

>Too much of a Smash clone
>While also not being enough of a Smash clone
Kills being tied to Special Moves instead of Knockouts or even HEALTH is what killed it. The roster isn't a problem for me if the fundamental playstyle isn't shit, but it was.

This is what i like to call the "golden points of crossovers".
>Addition
"we need Crash and Spyro in this game"
>Representation
"we need to make Spike look like Spike and not a fucking goblin and probably showcase Ape Escape's music"
"if we're going to add multiple reps per series, Lammy from UJL might be a better choice than another Cole"
>Material
"this random jrpg protag may as well have more moveset potential than normal looking guy with guns"
>Creativity
"we could go nuts with how Parappa plays because his universe is silly but we must make the moveset fit the series' personality"
>Risks
"despite driving his truck most of the time, Sweet Tooth will spent more time often outside his truck to fit along with other characters"
>Base
"why is it a Smash clone when most of these characters are from 3D based games?"
"what about an art style that makes them fit and not clash with each other?"
>Variety
"if these characters fit that rule Valve used for TF2 where they can still be recognized as silhouettes, that's good news"

>supers for kills
>some people get supers that let them move around for like 30 seconds

I dont know why i platted it, i hated it.

Attached: Screenshot_169.jpg (855x77, 42K)

>SuperBot Entertainment (formerly known as Broodworks) was an American independent video game company formed in 2009 by Shannon Studstill and Chan Park, who both worked for Sony Santa Monica.[1][2] The studio, based in Culver City, California, released their fighting game PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale on November 20, 2012 in North America, November 21, 2012 in Europe, November 22, 2012 in Australia, November 23, 2012 in the UK and January 31, 2013 in Japan.[3] The company, having gone dark since 2014, is considered defunct.

>After the release of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, in February 2013, Sony Computer Entertainment cut ties with the company due to inadequate sales.[6][7] SuperBot Entertainment moved on to mobile development, releasing Cuddlefish Friends’ in 2013.[8] SuperBot's website went offline in 2014 [9] and their social media went dark after a February 5, 2014 post saying they were hard at work on a Cuddlefish Friends’ sequel, which never saw the light of day.

Attached: kung pow kick.jpg (423x283, 23K)

RIP

The beta roster was much better

Even Shadow the Hedgehog was going to be DLC

Attached: PLAYSTATIONALLSTARS_img01.png (650x366, 360K)

>Playstation All-Stars
>Couldn't even get Crash or Cloud

Attached: 1530226463875.jpg (500x371, 17K)

>shadow dlc
>sonic not even in the base game
Based

>Even Shadow the Hedgehog was going to be DLC
When?

Attached: 1545482706900.jpg (600x905, 50K)

>motherfucking buzz
Why the hell did they scrap him

>YOUNG Heihachi
>Raiden
>Donte
>ayy lmao Spike
>a mascot cat that's never been localized outside Japan
>a character from....Starhawk???
>chick from Heavenly Sword
>Newgrounds flash character

Aside from the fact the roster was at least half shit, the entire game lacked any visual flare, everyone's animations looked cheap, and it seemed like stock music was used for all promotional material and menus.

The main selling point of a game like this was always going to be the roster and a Playstation "All Stars" game without at least having Crash and Spyro was doomed to fail from the first second.

But after them, I recon you'd also need;
-Lara Croft
-Cloud
-Solid Snake
-Tony Hawk
-Rayman
-Dante
-Leon and Claire
-James Sunderland/Heather Mason
-CJ (or another GTA character)
-Tidus
-Sora
-Raimi Spider-man

Then you could probably throw in some Gran Turismo, Need For Speed, and Guitar Hero stages in there.

Problem is, unlike Nintendo, Playstations best sellers are all third party, and you'd need to pull a lot of strings to get that all together.

Was this actually confirmed by a dev?

It was on the same files/site as Abe and Dart, who were also cancelled, so it's pretty much real.

That was made by a Shadowfag Youtuber, you dingus.

Seething liar

Doesn't also help Sony either treats their own IP's as passing fads or does shit decisions with them.

Of course not. I don't know why people need to lie about fucking PSASBR DLC of all things, but this is Yea Forums

Source or fuck off

>bad roster
Nah it was fine, you’re comparing it to Smash, which contains characters that have been in 50+ games in their owns franchises. I think the most prolific in sonysmash was Kratos, who has 7ish games under his belt to this day.

Yeah, there was no Crash and Spyro, but there wasn’t a Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, or Olimar until smash 3, Ganondorf, Bowser, Zelda until Smash 2, etc. Roster for a first entry wasn’t that bad considering licensing problems and all that

Nintendo gives it “star treatment” because it’s routinely one of those biggest releases whenever they launch a platform. It’s selling Nintendo online, has a season pass, sells controllers/peripherals, and acts as an advertisement/brand awareness tool

Sakurai treats each Smash game like it's the last one
PSASBR was done by people who
>Were either ambarrased by it and didn't had a lot of motivation
>Probably wanted to put a bit of care but couldn't due to outside meddling
>Or didn't give a fuck

Attached: 1530422070550.jpg (538x6025, 2.77M)

>Sony's french PS account makes a tweet about characters fighting each other
>Ape Escape is refered to as "Monkey Island"
twitter.com/PlayStationFR/status/1128608461573345282
PFFHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It was fucking unbalanced as fuck. Just not fun to play it

You repeated the Big Daddy bit

>They put together a studio just for it
>They brought in fighting game pros to test it
>They wanted a tournement viable game

Attached: 1390573228613.png (161x195, 44K)

Attached: 1528722731661.jpg (744x1000, 245K)

I’m not talking about Sakurai, I have no idea what his workflow is and whatnot. It’s not like he’s doing something specific, it’s just that Nintendo literally needs Smash to succeed. Sony smash? “Yeah give it a whirl newfriends, while all our main studios are working on other shit, good luck, don’t go over budget”.

PSABR failed because it isn’t Smash. Even if it were a 1:1 clone it wouldn’t have done well. The PS3 had too many other games grabbing the focus of the user base. And if they want smash, they’d just play smash.

They should have copied Kingdom Hearts using Ape Escape as the main series.

Needed another pass for a/v.

Old, but gold