I don't really understand this game. Are you just unavoidably fucked some times...

I don't really understand this game. Are you just unavoidably fucked some times? Seems like later in the game there's always an enemy you can't kill or get to or your mechs are forced to deal with a different one due to potential damage, building destruction or webs.

Attached: 60231844_10216199536775636_1611174002326241280_o.jpg (1280x720, 111K)

just play rusty bros

use ur brain moran

Finally a thread baout the game i'm playing the last 3 weeks.

>Are you just unavoidably fucked some times?
Yes this is my fucking conclussion

Sometimes but only if you don't position well. I loved the hell out of the game, very rarely ran into a no-win scenario.

you must have a fucking concussion to be posting with that trip

Those bomb lobbers really fuck everything up. They work outside the balancing algorithm of the game.

Long story short, yes, especially on hard but it happens on normal too if you get really unlucky.

What's especially egregious to me are the maps with a large lump of rocks/buildings in the middle that appear on hte desert island I believe, so you essentially have to pick which side to deploy your dudes on and then you get fucked over if bugs decide to attack shit on the other side.
There's also teams with little ability to crowd control, like the thunderfags, that sometimes can get completely fucked over because thunderwhip also kills objectives you have to defend.

Just be careful which maps you pick.

I think my overall biggest complaint is they make your mechs down before seeing what all the Vek will do so sometimes your initial starting position just fucks you from the getgo.

>There's also teams with little ability to crowd control
This was basically why I lost in OP. Comp was based around lining up and knocking down and suddenly on the final level no mech did more than two damage and I desperately needed a comp that was focused on enemy movement instead of outright killing them.

The real red bull in this game, btw, is that Flame Behemoths are actually the best team. But it absolutely requires you to have the Zoltan pilot. You can get asinine amounts of value out of the science mech with him.

the best advice i can give you is to take your time. Try and look at the situation a turn or two ahead before you make a move. The longer you spend thinking about your turn, the more possibilities will open up

That happens sometimes. About once in 12-15 runs.

Ive been trying to do all four islands before the final battle have I been playing wrong? Is there any benefit/downside to just rushing there vs. finishing everything?

Nah frosty boys is the best team when you have the shield nigger in the freezing artillery mech.

You can play it however you like but it will become harder as you beat more islands. You get some achievements and bragging rights if you beat all four islands but thats about it. Only way I can see it being advantageous to do more islands is if your mechs are currently underpowered i.e shit weapons/pilots and you want to try and get better ones before challenging the last battle.

I could see that working out too. It's just so much fun setting everything on fire and then just keep cucking them with your three different movement abilities and ability to block a shot each turn on top of that without taking damage.

Just bet on grid defense.

Is it generally better to prioritize protecting the buildings or going for mission objectives?

he thinks people recognize him via his trip and takes pride in being on the shittiest website in history i guess
even though we all just know him from that picture of him. honestly if he lost the trip he'd probably be fine, but he insists on being a huge tripfag that nobody likes specifically because of his horrible handle so here we are eternally i guess

Pretty sure mission objectives are better.

The game is shit, don't bother.

>it's a SRPG is really a puzzle game episode

Unless your grid is on the verge of being destroyed go for objectives. Some will give you points towards your grid anyway and stars can be either used for repairing the grid or upgrading your mechs.

Objective

If you get all the objectives on an island you get a reward ( Pilot or 2+ grid or a weapon).

It's a roguelike so some scenarios are unwinnable by definition.

PROTECT THE GRID
These are fools.

SOURCE: PIC related

Attached: ITB.jpg (1152x815, 221K)

Nigga i've beaten everything on hard 4 island too. The grid is expendable.

Attached: Secret boiz.png (320x322, 12K)

I beat it once and stopped playing, there's no cute girls or rape to keep me interested anyway

Grid is a resource, just like your health. Learn when to expend it. Learn to take some losses. The game is almost never unwinnable, it’s just about how you deal with certain upsets that determines the fate of your run.

Well, yeah it's a resource to balance.
It's pretty common to get one fucky objective on an island and lose your island bonus.
If you get 1 objective and lose 1 building you broke even. Grid is your buffer against mistakes, ride with 2 points and one asshole vek can kill your run.
You have no guarantee of what you can buy with your rep aside from grid power and keeping it full means you can spend rep on gaining advantage rather than recouping losses.

git gud

I've been playing a lot recently. Almost every time I get fucked I realize there was a way out of it if I had played better. I prioritize the grid above as ll else, ny techs take a beating protecting it and this has worked well so far. I still g as ve a lot of room for improvement though.

you either are fucking serious about this or this is just an aweful bait. i just cant fathom that some people can get this dumb.

>tfw this game could have been amazing if it only had a mission editor

welcome to indie games where random generation is preffered instead of actually making game content

Yeah past island 2 it becomes very RNG based.

No, only if you mess up on an optimal sequence and your positioning is bad. This game gives you perfect information on what will happen on the turn, it's up to you if you want to use your dudes to attack or push someone or block a spawn or interject between an attack and a building. There's no turn limit OP, take your time and think things through.

It's really a clever puzzle game with resource management. Like oh hey my dude has 3 HP, i can sac 1 HP to block one spawn etc.

Mechs that need empty spaces to work, like the Steel Judoka, can be fucked in the ass a lot of times.

Attached: Gastly used curse.png (323x377, 187K)

Holy shit a into the breach thread
Ice team is OP
OP here is one lesson to learn
if it's unwinnable you fucked up initial placement
starting placement is key to being good at the game

>There are people who don't MAXIMUM FIST
Glad I can use this image again.

Attached: MAXIMUM FIST.png (1237x1139, 201K)

Why? It's just a bunch of procedurally generated maps.

probably cause some autist could come up with actualy fun level packs instead of relying onto "procedurial" generation scapegoat like devs did.

If you watch the video where the developer talks about the game you'd understand why a mission editor would make zero sense and misses the point of the purpose of this game.

It's a pretty way to say that they weren't bothered to do it.
Procedurial generation will always be an easy cop out for sake of endless content in your game.
Low quality content.

Holy fuck we're talking about Into the Breach again
Thank you jesus, this was a good FOTM

Attached: 1520017059484.jpg (600x600, 98K)

They wanted to keep the random encounter thing of FTL but in a different game but also a game where you are presented with perfect information so you can make a choice without taking into account of hidden factors like a dice roll or any other modifiers behind the scene.

and how does adding mission editor for optional side user created content would harm that in any way?
They just used this sound excuse to not do it, simple as that.

>playing Kino Judoka
>artillery mech in a position to kill something and save me from a loss, but at the cost of the generic pilot's life because it would push the enemy into himself and take his health
>give him a salute and pull the trigger
>enemy dies and is pushed into him
>levels up at that moment
>+2 mech HP
>fucking lives through it
>immediately name him Absolute Unit because that meme was just getting started around then
>go on to win that game
>take him with me to the next timeline
>proceed to win 14 timelines in a row with Absolute Unit
>decide he's served his time
>take him to a timeline
>retire him on his home island (RST Corp)
>continue on without him
>save that timeline
>now Absolute Unit gets to live a good life in a saved timeline
This gave me weird feels

Attached: 20180324222438_1.jpg (1920x1081, 124K)

if you don't give each and every mech a unique name and paint job are you even trying?

Attached: 20180302170626_1.jpg (1920x1081, 220K)

Only give winners names user
Xcom taught me that

Winners are made by their names

Attached: 20190406010720_1.jpg (1920x1081, 220K)

I really wish i knew how to code because of this game, i really wanted to get into the modding scene but alas, im only good at spritework

it's not perfect information game, there's plenty rng in the type, spawn location and actions of ayy lmaos

>not ignoring that copletely and instead only editing the names to keep track of those with high PSI str

Zenith guard squad is one of the fucking worst and the only one where I had to bail out at the end of the third island. Should have went for the final mission after two islands.

Now compare that to the Blitzkrieg squad or the flame behemoth were it's nearly impossible to lose a fucking building and you'll understand why sometime it feels you can't solve the puzzle.

L i n u x
i
n
u
x

Attached: rzoi6cq5d0ux.png (883x1024, 105K)

blessed

I was really hoping for some advanced edition content. What the fuck are the devs even working on right now?

Attached: HAZARDboys.png (1018x592, 80K)

I have never encountered a situation where there is/was no solution

>it's not perfect information game, there's plenty rng in the type, spawn location and actions of ayy lmaos
Except you see exactly where they will spawn and the type of actions they will take. That's not RNG.

>and how does adding mission editor for optional side user created content would harm that in any way?
Because the entire purpose and design of the game was to make a procedurally generated game you could play over and over again.
>They just used this sound excuse to not do it, simple as that.
See above. There's no reason to do it if the game randomly generates enough different scenarios and situations.

Anything random is RNG, that's what the fucking R stands for. The fact that you can see the spawns in advance doesn't change the fact that the spawns are randomised.

Again, question was "why game has to have one", not "why game doesn't have it". Subtle but different things. I explained why it would benefit game overall.
You provide answer to second question, which not what was asked.
It's obvious that game was developed with procedurial generation in mind, because it's easy way to add endless amount of content to some half-interesting game mechanics when it comes to indie game development. I just saying that they could do better, but instead just decided to go easy way

Oh you mean the initial spawns? Sure that's the only random element set piece part of the game. But other than that you see where the next enemies are going to spawn every time and so forth, that information isn't hidden.

You see where they spawn but not what vek is spawning, and you see what they're doing on the current turn but not what they'll do next turn if they survive. Both are random even if you can manipulate them to a certain degree

If ITB was designed differently sure I can support the idea of why a mission editor would be a great addition but it's just not in ITB because of the way it was designed.

Prolly. Maybe I'm just annoyed at devs relying on random generation this much.
Could've mix things up or something.
But that tasty golden apple on tree of unlimited replayability is so appealeing they don't care that it's rotten inside.

>You see where they spawn but not what vek is spawning, and you see what they're doing on the current turn but not what they'll do next turn if they survive.
Yes that's normal because you don't get to choose what the enemy does, that's their actions not yours. However once they've made the setup to their planned actions they never deviate from what they were doing no matter what new scenarios they end up in. You have complete information on what they are going to do and in which turn order of the veks. Also I never actually did claim that the game didn't have RNG just that you have perfect information on what their actions will be and the result of your actions, there are no dice rolls so no "chance to miss" based on your actions so perhaps that's my fault for not emphasising this clearer. The most RNG element you have minimal innfluence over and can only alter is the Grid chance to survive a hit.

What games are you playing these days where the devs are relying on procedural generation too much? I'm not even aware of 5 games that did this last year at least in terms of level design that is apart from this game. Like sure there's RNG spawns in say Vermintide 2 or so but that's about it.

Hm, I guess my mind stuck in quite some years ago when it was all the rage. Hardly been paying attention to new releases, and as I look at it, seems like procedurial generation rage is all over actually.
Nevermind me then, sorry for blabbering.

Don't apologise for discussing VIDEO GAMES user. Maybe you might have been thinking back to like Minecraft and all the other random procedurally generated knockoff shovelware games that showed up as a result? Or maybe you were just thinking of like aroundn 2015-2016 era because there was a fair amount in those years when games like No Man's Sky, Stardew Valley, Enter the Gungeon and Starbound came out.

Prolly, that sounds about exact those years when I gave up checking out new releases.
I play very few games on PC nowadays and mostly just console backlog. Into the breach came into my attention because I do like me some turn based tactics game or SRPG, but learning about it being all about random generation - killed quite a bit of an interest.
>Starbound
I still feel buyer remourse on that one.

The game goes out of your way to not post unsolvable turns unless you severely fucked up on your previous ones, sometimes you just sacrifice somd grid for objectives.

I've never played Starbound so what about it did you not like?

I expected Terraria in space
I got janky bootleg instead. Not to mention how barebones it was on release.

I have like a 40% winrate on FTL so far even with shit ships (which make up the majority of losses since you have to grind them out if you aren't absolutely insane at the game) and I gotta say the biggest issue with ITB is that it does indeed fuck you. You will frequently run into dumb shit that makes you not want to play anymore because it's literally impossible to stop.