Is there any chance of Nintendo continuing the story of Breath of the Wild specifically or are we pretty much forced to...

Is there any chance of Nintendo continuing the story of Breath of the Wild specifically or are we pretty much forced to move on from that storyline?

Attached: Screenshot_20190515-040025_Gallery.jpg (2220x1080, 629K)

bump cause I want opinions

Low, but not impossible.

I can honestly see a sequel to BOTW considering it rivals OoT's "impact" on the gaming landscape. Where OoT kinda revolutionized how 3D adventure games would play like, BOTW also became iconic for how it raised the bar of what it means to be truly open world. Just as OoT got a direct sequel in the form of MM, I can see BOTW getting a sequel as well.

Haven't all the main Zelda games been one-offs? Makes a continuation of the story unlikely. At most you could hope for something like a spiritual successor, like WW/PH/ST, I think

I feel like it's a good stand alone story, but then again, so was OoT and I loved it's continuation in MM. I would love to see a BotW 'sequel'

Seems like they're taking their time developing the new game so I think it'll have an entirely new map. Therefore it can't be set in Hyrule if it continues BotW's storyline and it'll be a not-very-direct sequel like MM was to OoT.

There are several direct sequels. Adventure of Link follows up Zelda 1 with the same Link and the Zelda 1 map is present in the lower-left corner of the world map. Majora's Mask has the same Link as Ocarina of Time although it barely continues its story. Both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are absolutely direct sequels, although PH is more of a side story plotwise.

Zelda 1 and 2, ALttP and Link's Awakening, OoT and MM, Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass (Spirit Tracks too, technically), ALBW and Tri Force Heroes, OoA and OoS

Honestly this is very satisfying to see. They put so much time into BoTW that just leaving it there feels like a waste. All I want is for Link and Zelda to actually get some development as characters. More so Link but you know what I mean

I do wish they would get a game out for switch that is built off Botw like MM to OoT.

appx. all here except for WW, PH, ST are the same Link

>story
>"lore"
>etc

I think the chances of the next game being entirely built on the basis of BotW are very high, like MM was to OoT. It´ll probably have a lot of Yea Forums saying "oh look it´s the same fucking game", but hopefully they make it just a bigger and better one. Having actual dungeons and caves to explore instead of same-looking shrines (they can keep those too, only not being the ONLY thing to explore) and having some magic itens hidden away would be great. I´m not a fan of the weapon breaking system so being able to repair your equipment and just make it unusable when it should break allowing you to decide if you want to throw it in the face of some fucker you´re fightning or keeping it for repairs latter would be a great improvement. Would also want to have Link be unable to eat during combat, as many fights become trivial when you have a giant stock of food and enough hearts to not get one-shot

I guess so. PH does basically the same thing as MM, but these sequels have never been very straightforward. At most I think we can expect a game with a similar concept to BotW and a couple of hints.

why don't you like story or lore in Zelda? I don't like contemporary Zelda lore, ever since they did the timeline. Skyward Sword had shit lore, I miss OoT, ALttP manuals

>but these sequels have never been very straightforward
Just AoL, which had Ganon's subordinates trying to revive him after Link killed him in LoZ and Link goes off to find the third piece of the Triforce after collecting the first two in LoZ.

Though you can't get less straightforward than ALBW -> TH, which sees the Link who saved Hyrule wander off to a fashion-oriented kingdom to save a princess who was put into a magical leotard, all while two identical strangers who also claim to be him journey along.

I just hope that whatever they do, that they put more spooky shit in. BotW is relaxing and all but I want some of that strangeness from MM again and some dungeons like the Forest/Shadow temple or swamp.

Attached: 1535450054045.jpg (1024x768, 110K)

Not the one you asked, but for me I think the overall timeline is clunky but manageable, the oot split was stupid though. Honestly I'd prefer if they kept lore for overall stuff very general, and have connected stuff in directly Link-ed games like ocarina and majora or wind waker and phantom hourglass

I agree with you. I preferred the ambiguity and implied lore we had before Skyward Sword. I really enjoy seeing the same Links between a couple games, and seeing connections like OoT being the Imprisoning War mentioned in ALttP

Patrician taste, spooky/strange Zelda is amazing. ESPECIALLY in a BotW styled game, where you could discover it in an open world ie. more things like the monster mask salesman guy

I want some money re small towns and villages personally.
The villages we got were charming, and the little enclaves of civilisation built around the stables too, but I’d love to have some more varied bits.

Maybe if we’re in a new area or time, there can be st least a big city to explore as well as the rest. Like Castle Town in TP.

the only Zeldas that didn't get a real sequel were TP and SS and I will forever be mad about how Miyamoto killed TP2 for Crossbow training.

A big hub town would be a nice new element to add in a sequel in the same style of open world gameplay. They could hide tons of secrets and events thanks to being able to climb anywhere.

Yeah exactly, like the different chests hidden around Clock Town across the days.
Would be neat, especially so if they had events which could change or alter it - like time in MM, or the Tarrey Town chain in BOTW.
A port town might be cool - a large mainland and some islands, with Link and Zelda rocking up at the start in a Hylian galleon to ask for help rebuilding Hyrule or something.

I always thought that a "canon" was against the idea of Zelda, or at least not what I enjoy about these games. I always liked that the games stood on their own, basically a different retelling of the same simple story. Like there is just one "Legend of Zelda" with different interpretations - maybe we see a Link in two adventures, but not more. Keeping connections to small hints and intro cutscenes avoids the problem I have with lore-heavy games like Elder Scrolls, where it gets overbearing and clunky, and sidetracks everything that's happening in game.

a hub town wouldn't work on a game with heavy exploration
what you want is ruined thanks to the open world meme

All this stuff is awesome that's being speculated but personally I'm here for the hope of Link actually becoming his own character for once. I'm tired of him being so fucking granola. Give him a hobby, an irrational fear, a habit, something. And while you're at it, actually following through with the princess and link's relationship would be great.

They've continued a Zelda game's story directly multiple times though
>Zelda 1 and 2
>ALTTP and Awakening
>Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
>Wind Waker and the Phantom Hourglass
It's not exactly an unheard subject in the series.

no that's retarded

>ALTTP and Awakening
and oracles, and other oracles, and albw, which was continued by triforce heroes

OP here, how tf is that dumb? Preferring simplicity is just a preference

They might make a Majoria's Mask type sequel but other then that its unlikly. Although all the games before BotW were reconed to being just fairytales so maybe they will make a game continuing the plot.

I don’t think that’s necessarily true.
In BOTW for example, Castle Town would be perfectly placed to sit as the central hub of a world to explore.
A lot of civilisation is anathema to exploration since there shouldn’t be much new to find, but if some kind of event had occurred, the world and environment could have changed, meaning exploration has a new value again.

Since the second game Zelda has had continuity. It's not a matter of preference, it has just never been the case that it's "a legend told in many different ways"

>Oracle games take place after Awakening
Really? Never heard that one. Would like some evidence please
>ALBW
Does it really count a continuation of those stories if it takes place like centuries after all of those games?

>Really? Never heard that one. Would like some evidence please.
No, they happen between ALttP and Awakening
Check a zelda wikia or some Hyrule Historia scan.

>Does it really count a continuation of those stories if it takes place like centuries after all of those games?
Well, in Japan it's literally called Triforce of the Gods 2

Whatever they do, I just hope they address the problems with the gameplay loop in BotW if they stick to the open world concept (and I don't see why they wouldn't). The story is just going to be a variation of "defeat evil, save princess" anyway, and I'm content with that.

but it has also had its fair share of discontinuity, and forcing some sort of connection between all of the games always ends up with the most crackheaded multiverse bullshit.

I doubt it would happen but MM transformations would be amazing in a BotW game. the only way I could see it done though is by channelling the spirits of the champions or something.

I'm still waiting for a hourglass/spirit tracks sequel with planes. Hopefully a less shitty flying system than skyward sword

Why? I don't mean it would have to be the only town, and it would constantly evolve as you explore.

I want pic related, but with other BotW-style towns in the rest of the world.

Attached: Xenoblade_X_New_Los_Angeles.jpg (1280x720, 581K)

>Direct sequel
>Similar game but with a few changes
>No weapon durability
>Proper magic
>A few proper dungeons
>Zelda is your helper/guide character and you get little bits of development and exposition
>Link fucks Zelda
There you go. I made a perfect sequel.

> Story
Lol what storyline? BOTW had the most boring and generic story imagineable. Free the 4 sages and they help you beat ganon and save zelda. There, I summed up all the major plot points in one sentence.
I hated the open world game design of Zelda. I wish they would go back to OOT/TP style game design and focus more on having a fleshed out story. Twilight Princess is the closest a Zelda game has ever come to having decent story/characters (Midna) and even that isn't saying much.

>No weapon durability
>Zelda is your helper/guide character
Drop those and you got it

>>Zelda is your helper/guide character and you get little bits of development and exposition
you faggots always hate this
I personally loved the shit of every single companion

i can see them reusing the engine and assets etc. for the next one, in fact i'm almost certain this is what they'll do, the game was such a revolution that by the time it was done you realised how much untapped potential there was.

as for the story, i don't really care too much. there isn't really much to build from off botw so would be nice if they just make a new one from scratch

>Zelda is your helper/guide character and you get little bits of development and exposition
I really like this idea, actually. I wish Zelda would be a Midna style sidekick. She could speak to you remotely through some kind of magic and give you advice on where to go and talk to you about lore as you go through the game. Spirit Tracks kinda did this already, but I want a more mature adult zelda who can comment on lore and give you advice.

>continuing the story of Breath of the Wild
I could see them doing a Link's Awakening or Seasons kind of deal or something. That is to say the same Link as in Breath of the Wild, perhaps Zelda too. And then just a whole new story in a new land, with some cameos at best.
In before they go full mad men and make a Gold / Silver tier post game.
That kind of thing will never be topped or even matched again, will it? I can't really see that kind of post game ever being applied.

>Drop those
No.

A lot of the Zelda games have helper/sidekick types characters. Why not make it a character who's already a big part of the story, has some form of relationship or intertwined destiny with Link, and could do exposition as well and character building with Link? I really don't know why they don't just do it.

unfortunately, it won't ever happen again. gone are the days of true 10/10's

Attached: sadboomer.png (383x350, 73K)

> Assets
God, I hope not. BOTW already had more copy-pasted content than an IGN review video. I was already not a fan of BOTW on a game design level (open world, weapon durability, having to cook food to recover health) but it was the repetitive content that really did me in. Every shrine has the exact same music and textures, and everywhere you go you see the same copy pasted enemies and forts. I wouldn't mind them reusing the engine, but they need to improve world design a lot.

I think the open world was good, and especially the first like 10 or 20 hours were great, but it wore thin after a while. When I decide to finally fight Ganon after 90 hours and feel like I've waited like 20 hours too long during which I mostly did repetitive things I think that's a problem.
I just never cared so much about the story in these games. They're fun, and they have great moments, but I don't expect fully developed characters with complex backstories and motivations from Zelda. I like that it mostly sticks to archetypes and goofy characters.

Because helper characters suck 99% of the time. If they do it properly for one mission or two it's one thing but not for an entire game.

you mean like Zelda in Spirit Tracks?

well i was thinking more just things like the control system, character design and the weapons/items. obviously if they were creating a new open world i'd hope that they build that with all new stuff, and introduce some variation in the visual designs of the dungeons and shrines - if they even decide to go down the shrine route again

Weapon durability is an alright idea but it was executed pretty badly in BotW, it wound up being liquid damage more than anything else and once you get the master sword the system hasn't got much reason to exist.
I feel like what the game should have done was have weapons not explode when into blue goo when their durability gets low, and instead Link can go to a blacksmith or fairy to have it repaired using other weapons or resources, that way you can still get attached to the weapons you use and are still rewarded for gathering them (you need to sacrifice other weapons to power up a weapon) but you still need to use it (unless you bring your durability down, you won't be able to fix your weapon)
Having a simple system like this would remove SO much of the jank from the durability system because while you still have to worry about durability, you aren't encouraged to not give a shit about your loadout like you are with the current system.

Personally, I feel like they should've nerfed enemy damage and made food less easy to chow down on. Food is abundant and you can just keep eating hundreds of hearts worth with no repercussion, to balance this out they made it so that enemies can deal upwards 15 hearts of damage at once. I'd much rather food being more about buffing (and not being able to elder scrolls menu eat) and have you not need to eat every time a black enemy boops you.

You know what? I actually kind of agree with you. I'm one of those anons that frequently rips into BOTW in Zelda fanboy war threads. But the first 10 hours were actually alright. Discovering how everything worked in the beginning of the game was pretty fun. But by the time I finished the first divine beast it felt like I had already seen everything the game had to offer and the game became incredibly stale. I'd prefer that Nintendo went back to the OOT formula or something close to it, but for a moment here let me humor the idea of an actual good open world Zelda. Here's what it would need to have:
> Less copy-paste and more unique locations.
> Better enemy variety
> Dungeons that are thematically distinct from each other
> Ditch the survival shit. No weapon durability and let me either get hearts by cutting grass, or go the souls route and have a set number of healing items that can be restored at fast travel points.
> Bring back items/tools tied to progression like hookshot/hammer/etc
If they could do all this while keeping the open world it might turn out alright, and I say this as someone who generally hates open world games.

BoTW but it's filled with water and its WW again.

>and instead Link can go to a blacksmith or fairy to have it repaired using other weapons or resources
That's just tedious.
>Personally, I feel like they should've nerfed enemy damage and made food less easy to chow down on. Food is abundant and you can just keep eating hundreds of hearts worth with no repercussion, to balance this out they made it so that enemies can deal upwards 15 hearts of damage at once. I'd much rather food being more about buffing (and not being able to elder scrolls menu eat) and have you not need to eat every time a black enemy boops you.
I think the current system works fine. I think what the game lacked was a proper master mode, instead of making enemies take more damage they just hit harder

>hookshot in open world
I have no idea why they didn't take advantage of this, it coulda been one of the funnest mechanics ever

Ashley in RE4 was fine, and the son in GoW was one of the few things that game did well.

Personally I've always hated it. It's never been done well. I hated Ellie in tlou as well. In an action-adventure game I think it could work if it's for more simple stuff or you get some basic soldiers you try to keep alive, stuff like that makes it interesting because they're not immortal. But most of the time your companion is basically immortal or you have to babysit them. It's hard to make it fun in my opinion. I think grunts works best because keeping them alive is fun but they can still die, think like the security guards in Half-LIfe.

>But most of the time your companion is basically immortal
How is this a bad thing at all? You don't have to babysit them, and they can either not affect gameplay at all, or be the functional equivalent of the bots from Automata.

Because if they're immortal then it's not interesting, there's no challenge

You idiot, no one wants to babysit. They want someone there to break up the silence and allow for little bits of story sprinkled in. It's not meant to be a challenge, it's meant to be unobtrusive.

It's a game. Games don't have good stories anyway, if you want good story read a book

I agree with most of those points. (I didn't hate durability but I could take it or leave it)
I think with the addition of tools they could also make environments more unique. Doesn't have to be classic Zelda levels of "you use this item in this dungeon and maybe at the end again", but it could mean locking some content behind tools instead of enemy difficulty and temperature, so you have a reason to come back to places you've visited before.

Go gargle with bleach, you fucking retard.

Fuck off to reddit

I want an equivalent of what Majora's Mask is to Ocarina of Time

>reddit
No thanks, I don't want to deal with the den of retards that you came from.

You're the one that cares about stories in games so you'd fit right in ;)

>;)
Nothing more pathetic than a newfag redditor trying to fit in by calling other people redditors.

This is getting embarrassing. You really should just leave.

It's okay, on this website everyone is anonymous. You can learn from your mistakes and not be so obvious next time you're pretending you aren't a post 2012 reddit immigrant.

I kinda want a game to play as Zelda. With magic, puzzles and stuff.

Been here since 2004. Fuck off

>Been here since 2004
Sure thing. And you've never been to reddit and you have a triple digit IQ. We believe you.

Attached: Zelda.jpg (948x947, 299K)

>move on from that storyline
move on? all this series does is move sideways
you'll get a sequel/successor and it'll be the exact same as its predecessor
inferior in mechanics
inferior in storytelling
inferior in graphics
beloved by inferior people

Link used to be able to have magic
I think there was even a puzzle
Can you imagine, playing a genuine adventure game?

>TP: get the fused shadows, master sword, and mirror of twilight to defeat zant and ganon
>OoT: get the master sword amd rescue the seven sages to defeat ganon

You can do your retardedly reductive summary of BotW with any game. That doesn’t mean the story is thin or isn’t there.

No more fucking companions. BotW was great for this, among many reasons. I don’t want some character constantly chiming in or stealing the spotlight from Link. Link is as close as he’s ever been to being his own character, so I prefer the writers develop him instead of taking the easy way out again.

a sequal built on the same engine is guaranteed but it being a chronologicl sequal ala maora's mask to OOT is 50/50

You understand that a talented writer would have the companion there so that Link could actually have someone to bounce ideas and thoughts off of as opposed to a nonstop verbal diarrhea exposition machine, right? Something like Navi saying "Hey, listen!" every 10 seconds would be shit.

But none of them really continue the stories of their prequels.

dumb boomer

I want Castle Town to also have a hip-hop soundtrack.

The only helper in Zelda that sucked was Fi, but that was only because of how overbearing and hand-holdey she was, just like the rest of the game.

Does Link feel like a character outside of the flashbacks that you have absolutely no part in?
A companion that doesn't dominate the story or overloads you with hints is still interesting as a constant reference point for interaction on the same adventure you are on and they largely "steal the spotlight" only because Link usually has no spoken dialogue.

Majora's Mask directly continues the story of a hero who sacrificed all of his heroic deeds for the greater good at the cost of becoming a nobody, and losing his best friend

That's a thematic expansion. As far as the story of stopping Ganon in OoT goes, Majora's Mask has nothing to do with it. It's entirely self-contained.

There is no more storyline. Best hope is a prequel set 100 years before, either playing as Link accompanying Zelda to the shrines, or another character entirely. The only reason to do this though would be to make a cheap game like Majora's Mask for reusing assets.

>The only reason to do this though would be to make a cheap game like Majora's Mask for reusing assets.
But the base assets are really good. All they need to do is tweak some things and the next game could be fantastic.