Playing on older TVs aka CRT TVs

Are they really worth the effort to track down to play your old favorites or just a meme?

I've always been slightly intrigued at the idea of playing these new consoles on old tech like this,is that even possible with the right adapter?

Attached: Toshiba CRT MD13N1.jpg (299x400, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/RBJMcUFHBLA
youtu.be/BtRFs0oOzxg
youtu.be/HdvyxnkDBco
digitaltrends.com/home-theater/canon-loses-sed-tv-patent-ruling/
microled-info.com/vuereal-developed-30000-ppi-micro-led-microdisplay-will-start-accepting-orders-samples-soon
plesseysemiconductors.com/products/microleds/
microled-info.com/jbd-unveils-1-million-nits-microled-microdisplay
archive.org/stream/sony_PVM-20SW/PVM-20SW_djvu.txt
arcadeforge.net/Pi2Jamma-Pi2SCART/PI2SCART::264.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I play 6th gen and under on CRTs. Playing new consoles on crts is fag tier retardation.

>Are they really worth the effort
No. Unless you have the space and money for them.

>just a meme?
Also no. Playing old games(gen 5 and down) on CRTs generally make them look better and avoids lag caused by upscaling.
Emulation is of course a solid alternative as well.

CRT TVs are shit. VGA CRTs are what cool kids play on.

Can't watch anime on VHS without a CRT now can you? I prey my CRT never breaks. I'd have to get one of those multi hundred dollar analog to digital converter boxes otherwise.

Attached: VHS the Best.png (1564x893, 2.61M)

I have a relatively new VCR/DVD-R combo unit that has 1080p HDMI out. VHS looks like ass on it, pixelated as fuck while the same tapes on my 9" CRT TV's built-in VCR looks sharp as fuck.

Maximum boomercore. Now show your TV.

You should have kept yours. My parents mentioned they were dumping all their old CRTs they were keeping in their basement and I grabbed the nice Toshiba one with component inputs we had in the living room.

It's a PVM-20M2MDU. Here's what jojo looks like on it through a PS3.

Attached: jojo crt 2.jpg (2251x1690, 1.67M)

most TV's still have analog inputs unless you really cheap out. My 4K Samsung has a full row of component inputs on it.

Old stuff designed for it is good on old displays. To play new stuff on SD sets is retarded. VGA monitors could be interesting though.

I didn't give a fuck when my parents got rid of their shity Wal-Mart CRT to put in its place a 1080P Samsung LCD. My dad kept his Trinitron PC monitor and gave it to me when he later donated his desktop PC.

>20M2MDU
Typo, it's an M4. It's almost too sharp for VHS. Here's another picture I took of jojo on it.

Attached: jojo on a crt.jpg (2296x1724, 2.39M)

Damn, son, those are some THICC scanlines.

>through a PS3
What cable are you using?

What's the point of this? You're cropping the image and introducing visable scanlines where there should be none.
For certain old-school games, visuals were designed with scanlines, or composite blending in mind. But, this is just overkill. It doesn't look better.

VGA monitors are GOAT. Playing shit like GTA V and AC7 on one is sex for your eyes. Buttery smooth motion at 120Hz with no motion blur. Puts even my 144Hz GSYNC IPS monitor to shame.

To get (You)s. I'd never use pan-and-scan just as I'd never stretch 4:3 to fill a 16:9 monitor.

Scart, so RGB or Component technically. I forget what the PS3 was set to but it was being played back at 480i. My CRT doesn't do progressive.
>What's the point of this?
What's the point of doing anything? It looks cool. Isn't that enough? I'm not defending it as "the anime experience" but the colors are really nice in person at least. I mostly use ot for retro games & VHS tapes. Absolutely the best way to watch VHS if you still have them though.

Attached: 435.jpg (680x664, 67K)

I'm on the fence between buying a PVM and older consoles or just getting a good modern monitor for dedicated emulation purposes. Please help me decide.

Attached: elise sorry.png (261x233, 21K)

>It looks cool
It doesn't. Cropping the image is absolute shit tier. Leave it letterboxed and then you're onto something.

Attached: IMG_20181217_1340174.jpg (3481x2664, 709K)

>Absolutely the best way to watch VHS if you still have them though.
Yeah, sure. But watching a modern TV show in cropped 4:3 is just so retarded to me.
I guess the screenshots look neat, but that's it.

depends entirely on if you have the money or not. Even if you get some consumer trinitron for free locally you're going to need a professional to replace all the capacitors on it so you don't get image distortion for failing caps.

Get a VGA monitor for emulators.

The old stuff is just gonna keep getting more expensive and more rare. If I were you I'd just stay on the lookout for a good deal on a PVM and just use an old CRT you can probably get at a yard sale or something if you don't already have.

when i need a CRT, i just drive around the neighborhood and pick one up out of someone's trash

>he thinks it's still 2010
The weeks following the analog TV shutdown you could find CRTs out on the streets like fruit growing on trees during harvest season. Local kids would "claim" them by cutting off the power cord and haul them away in their parents' cars a few hours later.

Only worth it if you have a pvm or a trinitron

Attached: botw crt.jpg (1328x747, 185K)

>widescreen
w2c

There's a really good PVM for $100 on craigslist that is tempting me.

Attached: 1478048836507.jpg (1600x900, 280K)

I use it whenever I played retro games, but I recently tried it on Sonic Mania for shits and giggles but I actually ended up really liking how it looked.

Attached: resized_20190514_144824.png (810x1080, 999K)

DO IT
and then post pics for instant (You)s

Do it faggot, if you get a pvm on ebay it would b 6 - 8 times that price

Why would an old CRT play SNES games better than an emulator on a high refresh rate monitor?

Also
>generally make them look better

lol

Attached: 1447085556122.jpg (556x557, 205K)

that's because shipping a crt is expensive as fuck and 60% of the time it arrives in a million pieces

That's composite

Attached: 1556561724076.jpg (2016x1512, 2.2M)

There's a guy on youtube that services & sells PVMs. He even RGB mods consumer CRTs.
youtu.be/RBJMcUFHBLA

>Video games will never be this aesthetic ever again
youtu.be/BtRFs0oOzxg

Attached: resilar.png (1259x947, 2.89M)

that's blurry shit

Attached: alttp emulated.jpg (1280x720, 130K)

CRT TV is the way to go with everything designed with one in mind.

Attached: sal772bfx0f21.jpg (500x500, 38K)

>aLttP on Cemu
Thanks for the laugh user

>not just going to your local thrift store & picking one up for cheap or even free

getting the smaller one shouldn't be a problem at all user,it's just finding a working SNES that could take weeks/months

Attached: Bowl of Ramen.png (553x369, 321K)

Which is why you should just get a VGA monitor and emulate on it.

>Tfw my CRT is a old TV battery with Mono audio
Feels good to have it under my screen.
I use it for my PS2 and Wii.

Most thrift stores no longer carry them because if they accept them as a donation & then have to throw one away they have to pay for it to be disposed of due to the leaded glass or they get fined. It's generally not worth it for the larger stores. Smaller thrift stores generally don't give a fuck though, so it's not like it's impossible to find one

>it's just finding a working SNES that could take weeks/months
Just get a Wii and softmod it.

Nigga I found a working snes last week ina local game store

Just get an emulator. If you want to use a controller, there's like a bazillion adapters/remakes of those.

Didn't they make like, 30 million super nintendos, and 30 million super famicoms? How in the fuck do you not own one?

Fell for the CRT meme, it was cool at first but it didn't take long for both of my 80's CRTs to lose their color and I'd rather recycle them than risk electrocuting myself trying to fix something with zero knowledge. so I'm looking at having to spend around $40 just to dump these hazardous door stoppers.

Buy a $15 degausser.

>didn't recap his CRTs
If your CRT dies on you it's almost entirely your fault. These things last 30 years as long as they've been serviced & they're not on 24 hours a day

Attached: 1.png (500x500, 10K)

Remember to clean and love your CRT.
I will recap mine one day but for now i have to find why the fuck settings are not saving.

Attached: IMG_20181002_180856.jpg (1944x2592, 2.07M)

Shit that looks like the electronics section of a decades-old freezer.

Check the EEPROM chip and replace if necessary.

Because its a decades old CRT.

what in gods name happened here m8

Attached: even donny is freaked out.jpg (600x600, 397K)

time

There's a Non Conductive liquid you can use to wash the insides of your CRT if you've got some extra money to spend on repairs. I did this with my own PVM I got from a recycling center & it's squeaky clean now.
youtu.be/HdvyxnkDBco

I had time to clean my 25 year old CRT.

I just blast it with a Datavac, that is how dirty it gets after decades.

Dont bother getting one op, I had a CRT for a decade through the end of the 360/PS3 era, anything remotely new and hd looks like trash on a CRT and the old stuff is really not that much better. I gave mine away to Goodwill, upgraded to a modern tv and never looked back. Dont get memed into wasting money on a box that youll only use to play retro games that barely improves the experience

zoomers m8

So you're saying to stop playing every game 6th gen and earlier? Old games look like shit on new TVs just like how new games look like shit on old TVs.

>Old games look like shit on new TVs
no they don't

Attached: 1505143993.png (400x550, 142K)

Lmao, what a retard or nice baitu

Im telling you, I had a CRT, I've seen the difference with my own eyes. Theres not some crazy jump in quality for retro games

Maybe because you had a bargain-bin noname TV.

With the proper emulator filters, yeah.
If you have lag then a CRT is required.

Attached: Anime reaction Image.png (334x483, 208K)

Oh yeah 240p upscaled to 768 or 1080p looks awesome.
Also with a huge delay.

>money
People literally give these things away on craigslist and shit. Unless you're getting one of those fuckhuge models, they don't take up that much space.

I modded mine for RGB, It almost looks like a vga monitor. The guy who invented composite should burn in hell.

ok, waste your money then

>when the FOMO kicks in

>FOMO
Are you a literal retard or an ESL? I already had it, theres nothing to miss out on

I have a CRT that my father bought before LCDs even came out, so I am not missing anything kiddo
You on the opposite, sound very buttblasted like a fucking faggot that goes "fuck the old shit granpa".

You said
>waste your money
but a few years ago good CRTs could be had for free or nearly free.

Anyone who currently chooses to watch things on VHS wasn't actually old enough to be around for it and only watches it for fake nostalgia. Even by 1999, there was no reason to choose VHS over other, demonstrably better formats.

>too autistic to watch 4:3 content on a widescreen
>too autistic to watch 16:9 content on a CRT

I hate this shit, wish we never changed ratio formats and just improved resolution instead.

Attached: 1556220209039.png (500x500, 205K)

What the fuck does that have to do with FOMO?

how do i get obscure anime on vhs

I was born in 1994 and I agree. I used VHS to record my anime but once DVD-R came along I made the switch and never looked back. I still have a whole bunch of Disney movies on VHS but they're all on Netflix now.

>says this while paying for downloads

Playing anything past 6th gen consoles on them is retarded but they make 6th gen and everything prior look really good especially with the right cables, If you're underaged or somehow didn't grow up with crts I don't think you'll appreciate the difference enough for it to be a worth while possession especially if you want a larger one because they take up alot of space, although they aren't very expensive and you can find them quite easily.

Just a reminder that we were denied the superior TV, SED which is a thin CRT, because of a patent lawsuit. LCD, LED, and OLED fucking suck. LCD, LED, and OLED are inferior to CRT technology in every way except size.
digitaltrends.com/home-theater/canon-loses-sed-tv-patent-ruling/
Netflix is trash and fuck anyone that gives money to Netflix or any other streaming """""service"""""
These streamers like Netflix' 4k UHD is not UHD or 4k, their 4k streams have a fraction of the bitrate of a regular blu-ray, let alone 4k blu-ray, some don't even have the quality a DVD can provide! Dumb fucks like you buy 4k TVs just to watch your bit starved streams on. The TV industry is already talking 8k when the 4k TVs already out there aren't being used anywhere near their potential because of brainwashed scumbags like you.
I don't see the problem if someone wants to watch a VHS on a CRT, I do see a problem with subhumans like you paying for a download while acting like you're superior.

Attached: SED.jpg (570x380, 37K)

Recently tracked down a trinitron on Facebook for $30. Have been enjoying the real boomer hours. I want to somehow convert hdmi to component so I can play switch games on it. Here's what jojo looks like

Attached: IMG_20190407_144526.jpg (3024x4032, 3.44M)

Just a reminder that SED is effectively the same shit as LCD and any other fixed-pixel screen. Micro LED does everything SED does in an even thinner form-factor that uses less power.
Also I don't pay for Netflix, I have it included with my phone plan at no extra cost.

It's the best

Attached: 08_41380.jpg (1010x643, 92K)

>convert hdmi to component so I can play switch games on it
No

>no
Yes.

False, SED was a CRT for every pixel, or that was FED
>no extra cost

>a CRT for every pixel
Exactly. It has discrete pixels and therefore a single native resolution.
>no extra cost
I was paying $35 a month for unlimited talk/text/data and after activating my account through them I'm still paying that same price for the same plan. Not that I'd actually pay for Netflix if they discontinued it.

crt's a great if you already have them but if not upscalers like the OSSC is a much better and more modern solution

OSSC is good for VGA monitors though

It depends. I think plugging old systems directly into an HDTV is degenerate but if it's only a sometimes thing than it's fine. I personally play a wide range of systems so I like to have a CRT as well as an HDTV setup just for convenience sake. I felt that it was worth the dosh to have a PVM shipped but that's my preference, and is no way a requirement.
It's honestly a matter of what's convenient for your setup and what you're good with in terms of video quality.
Keep in mind lightgun games only work on CRTs. If that's important to you then get a nice big CRT and get shooting.

Attached: IMG_20190514_222805789.jpg (5344x3006, 2.82M)

>fuck people who don't watch things in 4K
>but don't fuck people who watch things in 480i
You're not very smart, are you?

Big brain here. CRT + HDTV is the thinking man's setup.

I once tried plugging into my PS2 on some 720p samsung from 2011,it looked like someone smeared gasoline on the screen

why sed?

Call it nostalgia, but I prefer watching stuff like Die Hard on VHS. I agree it's not good quality, but that doesn't really matter much to me.

Just picked up a PVM-14N1U earlier today, waiting on a switcher so I can plug in my older consoles with an S Video converter. Looking forward to seeing what kind of picture I can get out of my N64 / PSX / NES games

Composite or component?

Because he's a brainlet who thinks SED is in any way comparable to a traditional CRT. Make no mistake, it set out to do what OLED and soon micro LED does and is nothing but a concept. While SED uses CRTs as the source of light it's still a fixed-pixel panel. What this means is that the image will only look good at a single resolution and all resolutions below it will be upsampled and scaled. This is the reason old games look bad on LCD and LED monitors. Sure you get the black level and response time of CRT, but LED displays do that too. Also since SED is a pixel-based display it'll suffer from motion blur due to the use of sample-and-hold.

I think it was just the basic Red Yellow and White cables that you'd use

I'm a 25 year old zoomer who is starting to turn into a nostalgiac boomer for the 90's and early 2000's

what should I be looking for in a CRT to play old 3rd gen, 4th gen, and 5th gen games (maybe even some 6th gen ones)? Like, in terms of picture quality, input options, etc? In particular the entire reason I care is for shit like pic related, so I want to priotize stuff that will best represent this sort of effect, for games like donkey kong country, etc.

Not even just for "what CRT should I get", but a better tehcnical understanding of this shit in general. Like, I'll need to know the ins and outs of signal conversion too, right (I'm not planning on buying actual NES's/SNES's/Gensis's/N64s, etc, unless there's like a good cheap third party version of those consoles all in one or something)? And compenent vs composite, VGA vs, progressive vs interlace, etc?

Attached: crt adsas.jpg (6640x4288, 3.95M)

I'd just get a curved standard definition set set that can take up to component.

Any Trinitron that can do 480p.

that's a flat out lie. Only the higher end PVMS & BVMs and MAYBE some of the very tail end consumer trinitrons could do progressive scan.

define obscure anime. Have you tried visiting japan?

so is progressive generall preffered over interlaced for retro gaming?

I know progressive in general is better but if you are going for a retro look anyways I imagine interlaced might be preffered?

>VCR has the same footprint as the CRT
Now that is fucking tight. Here's hoping it doesn't damage the VCR in any way. I know some of those later VCRs were built paper thin, but I've seen other VCRs you could stand on because they were built for security cameras & other industrial stuff. I miss when things were built to last.

Attached: GOOD JOB.png (272x258, 10K)

I had a trinitron that could do 720P and 1080i, flatscreen with VGA in, but it weighed 200+ pounds so now I have a dinky 27inch trinitron that only goes up to S-video

component isn't RGB

Progressive scan on a CRT is a meme. It's limited to Gamecube/PS2/Xbox generally & if you saw it in person you would impressed by it and then switch right back to regular 480i & 240p. There's so few games that even take advantage of it that you're not missing out on it.
TLDR: It looks nice, but it's a meme feature. Progressive on an HDTV is a different thing entirely.

Better but retro devices do 240p/360p/480i most of the time.

More like CRT has the same footprint as the VCR. Most A/V equipment have the same widths so they stack up nicely while TVs have wildly different sizes.

Yes but most retro games run at 240p or 480i. Which is standard definition.

My scart cable Carries RGB but when you play DVDs it switches to component. I don't think the PS3 can play DVDs & Blurays in RGB due to the way those discs are encoded, but I could be wrong.

Did this zoomer interest in tube TVs just start? I've always had mine hooked up to my ps2 and cable. I probably use it more than my 4k tv desu

So is having progressive vs interlace not a binary thing?

IE a CRT can support both P and I at a lower resolution but only I at a higher one?

also do most CRT's have a way to not stretch out content to higher resolutions? Actually CRT's don';t even really have pixels, do they? So how would I get the "native" quality of a given game's video output?

That sounds like a late-generation "HD" CRT, which are about as bad as LCD TVs for retro gaming.

Zoomers found out about meme tubes from ecelebs and suddenly thing they're "retro" and "hipster" technology like vinyl.

240p is a trick where it uses half the resolution of 480i but it's stable instead of shimmering back and forth. Most retro games use it instead of 480i and standard definition TVs handle both just fine.

Attached: 1557571423512.webm (854x480, 1.31M)

New TVs are phasing out everything but HDMI, so naturally zoomy goes "why can't I plug this super nintendo into my TV?" and here we are today.

Attached: rip eventually.png (1000x816, 1.23M)

>do most CRT's have a way to not stretch out content to higher resolutions?
I know you can adjust the image size on a VGA monitor but most CRT TVs fill the image to the size of the screen unless there's a hidden menu to adjust image size.
>how would I get the "native" quality of a given game's video output?
With a LCD monitor that has the option of 1:1 pixel mapping.

I dunno, never got much use out of it as I couldn't get it to my room.

any CRT with an HDMI port is "usually" doing some digital processing in the background which introduces lag, making them pointless for retrogaming.

It's essentially converting a digital signal to analog so of course there would be lag. Doesn't mean you can't play your new consoles on them though.

Lol

Attached: IMG_20181116_142306.jpg (4032x3024, 3.92M)

Really that good. Playing component Xbox and PS2 games looks a certain level of sharp yet fuzzy that feels just right. Never mind that this was the display these games were intended for.

Same with old PS games and N64. It just looks right.

I'm older and grew up on that, so there is some bias.

I don't think so, unless I'm playing a light gun game or something.

Because how CRT works.
Tell me if you think this

Attached: DE77bjWU0AIsAbw.jpg (1199x1200, 205K)

Looks the same than this then you are either retarded or blind.

Attached: DE77awYVYAAVySW.jpg (1024x1024, 179K)

Is this image being showed at a 1:1 pixel ratio or is it scaled? It looks way too blurry to me even on LCD.

what game is that? looks kinda comfy

Attached: Sheep.png (475x477, 375K)

This thread feels comfy, guys.

Cheers!

Attached: crt.jpg (2008x1130, 1.89M)

M E G A C O M F Y T I E R

That's composite and not every game took advantage of it in the same ways

I just keep a small one at my desk with my older console just in case I'm feeling it. Although I tend to emulate PS2 and up.

Attached: 20190326_194200.jpg (4032x3024, 3.07M)

Hi underage

Same to you, brother.

Attached: ps2configcrt.jpg (1632x1224, 397K)

Your tthoughts on these PVM monitors? I was told not to bother if they're not Sony pvm.

Damn I wish I was home to fire up my Fat PS2 on my Trinitron TV and meme with you guys. Just 4 weeks left before summer break.

I read somewhere that the screen from these can actually do some heavy damage to your eye's over a prolonged period of time?

You're shitting me, right?
>I'm just p-pretending to be r-retarded
Figure it out, dipshit
It's honestly borderline insulting that you can't recognize this game and have the audacity to post on Yea Forums

Looking at any screen for a long time can fuck your eyes up.

It’s actually a cover IIRC. Neat way to avoid looking at letterboxing.

Thoughts on double layered LCD?

Attached: 1551823564611.jpg (800x426, 374K)

Fpbp

>Unless you have the space and money for them.
>Space and money
>Money
Spwp

Because of no lag
>inb4 muh runahead meme
Just no

They do look better at native 240p on a high end CRT. No motion blur as well(doable on LCD via Lightboost/ULMB in certain monitors but image gets very dim)

Current resolution of Monitors is not enough for CRT-Royale to emulate the CRT look perfectly.
We need at least 8k.

When MicroLED comes out it will hopefully solve this issue.
We need a lot more brightness if we want to use lightboost/ulmb and shaders at once while keeping the image bright and we need a lot more resolution for the shaders to be as authentic as possible.

Can != Will.
Its like saying that a LCD screen will make you go insane from heavy exposure to blue light.

im too lazy to replace my composite cables

You can technically replicate this with shaders by emulating composite shaders on CRT-Royale.
It's still not perfect yet because we need higher resolutions though(especially if you wanna emulate the look of a Shadow Mask CRT)

>With a LCD monitor that has the option of 1:1 pixel mapping.

I meant while still getting scanlines and the blurring you see in

or is there not a way to actually do that short of it being an arcade cabinet with a tailor made display?

We'll still be around, my dude. Another thread, another time.

Attached: forever.jpg (606x406, 43K)

If you want to see a good CRT shader install RetroArch on a phone with OLED display. That's as close to a CRT as you can get.

Dual layer LCD is where it's at. These are already being used for mastering monitors. They're virtually OLED tier without burn in.

Attached: 1545026366517.png (969x291, 214K)

Just play your modern games you zoomer shit. You know you want to anyways.

>We need at least 8k.
You faggots said the same thing about 4k until it became the standard. Fact is you can emulate the BVM look decently even on 1080p displays. There’s no point owning an actual CRT unless you’re a hipster douche.

This looks much better tbqhwyf

It's not about resolution but rather pixel density. 1080p on a 5" phone is enough to emulate a CRT but 8K on a 85" TV sure as hell won't.

it's a fucking meme you fucktard.

Yup

Reminder that MicroLED will retire CRT for new games at least
microled-info.com/vuereal-developed-30000-ppi-micro-led-microdisplay-will-start-accepting-orders-samples-soon

It will potentially retire CRT for old games too if Shaders get good enough and if we somehow are able to get all lightgun games to work.

I imagine with some really high resolution/DPI the spaces between the pixels would be extremely small/non-existent and you would be able to integer scale without suffering from the usual jaggy artefacts that come with integer scaling thus mimicking the electron gun painting a pixel the size it's required.

Modern displays already could do something like this without upscaling but the blank spaces between the pixels would be huge and the screen would be dark as fuck.

Micro LED will make everything before it absolutely obsolete, from CRT to plasma and LCD to OLED. Until we get brain interfaces that beam images directly into our optic nerves it's the best display there is.

Tell me how you're going to shrink millions of LED's down to the size of a desktop monitor or a smartphone for that matter without instantly draining all the battery or making it bright enough without using a gajillion watts of power?

>Risk electrocuting myself

You know you can unplug it when you're working on it right?

Phones will continue to use OLED and LCD for the foreseeable future. Micro LED seems like it'll only work on monitors and TVs since they have a "stable" source of power.

>what are capacitors

If you have room for one, why not? Pre 7th gen consoles were designed for them, especially ones with sprite based games, and look much better because of the era's limitations, not to mention they play with less input lag than on a HD. Get a Sony Triniton and hook up your Dreamcast. For most people though, they're a fucking meme and you can get by on emulation with CRT filters. Some games actually run better on emulation and have features like wide-screen modes, uprezed textures, mod support, etc.
For instance, the best way to play melee is through dolphin since you can play with other people online.

Attached: Wypipo.jpg (741x966, 75K)

I had that exact model in my bedroom for years.

The brainlet is strong with this one.

Seems like it could only ever work for TV's and it's going to turn your living room into a furnace. And then the problem is finding jewish displaylords who want to run with microled given that they can't repurpose the technology cheaply into every possible display device like you can with OLED and LCD. That means manufacturing costs are going to be insanely more on top of the added expense of all the extra LED's. Micro LED seems like a pipe dream to me. Anyone who wants a gigantic expensive display should just get a high end projector.

Wait, so is my dream of having a GPD Win-style device using a MicroLED screen unrealistic?

Which is why you should get a VGA monitor instead of a probably crappy TV and a whole bunch of old consoles. Everyone memes PVMs like there's no tomorrow but the real gems are PC CRTs.
>no flicker
>no annoying 15kHz squeal
>resolutions up to 2048x1536
>frame rates up to 160Hz

get yourself a small crt with at least svideo or component. i have a 20in sony with component and games look great.

I still have one I mainly use for playing older games. Sometimes take it to locals for the PM or melee guys.

I want this
Only $30k

Attached: 1534637874878.jpg (1200x582, 101K)

Anyone buying a CRT in this day and age is doing so to play old consoles and get the "authentic" experience. Only the Dreamcast supports VGA, and I don't see any point in wasting space for a PC CRT when my monitor is already 1440p 144hz.

And you're right about the high pitched whine, that shit has always been terrible.

That's around how much a PVM CRT cost in the days of analog television.

would places like ebay or amazon be good starting points to look for "working" gamecubes?

I got a PVM for free a while back. Shit is crisp.

shit that no one cares about, at least in the states

I'd recommend going for a wii over gamecube as they're super easy to hack if you want to play games you can't find.

I would hit up your local pawn shops first or put out a listing on Facebook marketplace. When it comes to older stuff, its better to see its condition in person and make sure everything is working. Also buying local usually means you can find it cheaper than online.

However, I would just get a Wii in good condition if I were you. Both consoles have disk drives which are prone to failure on older devices, however the Wii is trivial to hack and you can put as many games on there as you want.

Sonic Mania is 240p so it's best played on a CRT.

Is that the Sonic 3 sprite modded in?

Would a Wii look better on a CRT or an HDTV?

>You faggots said the same thing about 4k
No we didn't, shut the fuck up

>Fact is you can emulate the BVM look decently even on 1080p displays
No you cannot, the resolution/DPI is not there so the scanlines are not thick enough.

I know about that but for bigger screens we need higher resolutions.

God that thing looks amazing. I'm amazed at how slim it is as well.

Also, I aint' reading the rest of this thread to see if anyone else has said this but; old games used "flaws" in the way CRTs render to create new effects/hide defects. Even PVM/BVMs aren't fully how the games were "intended" to be displayed but some folks like the crisp scan-line look. the bottom line is play your shit on what you have. older shit will almost always look bad on new displays but if you can live with that, enjoy.

Attached: 1548743515204.jpg (500x500, 164K)

>I still have a whole bunch of Disney movies on VHS but they're all on Netflix now.
They're the shitty new remasters. Fuck Disney for what they did to their classics.

>dual layer lcd
>1 million : 1 contrast
>nearly perfect black depth
>crazy bright for ideal HDR
>comparable to FALD but with no artifacts
>comparable to OLED but no burn in
it's a meme that we don't demand these to be affordable for desktop use. it's just a shitty low res monochrome layer behind a regular lcd panel and an extra bright backlight. there's literally no reason we shouldn't have these on every display device besides pure jewery and stupidity.

SED was a fixed pixel meme.
It also had a ton of issues.

Also, goddamn does that bitch in the pic look huge.

CRT, it looks blurry as fuck on LCDs but you do lose widescreen and potentially progressive scan depending on your CRT. also have the benefit of lower latency on a CRT but that only matters with like rhythm games a pixel perfect platformers.

16:9 truly is a meme aspect ratio and pushing it into the home was a mistake.

CRT

Only if it's a good CRT. The cheaper CRTs were garbage and are only getting worse as time goes on.

I use a Retrotink for PS2/SNES/Saturn/3DO/(give me that FMV cheese bby) and the Akura for Dreamcast on a 55 inch television and it looks fine.

>VGA
>Digital
You dumb or something?

soul

>high pitched whine

Is this the ultimate zoomer litmus test?

Attached: 1548754963431.jpg (907x778, 47K)

>Micro LED seems like it'll only work on monitors and TVs since they have a "stable" source of power.
False actually.
MicroLED will retire OLEDs and LCDs on phone soon.
There's prototype microdisplays going upto 250k nits(yes 250K) so they're going to be extremely useful for phones in outside situations in direct sunlight.

MicroLED can deliver upto 100k nits of brightness at 1 watt
plesseysemiconductors.com/products/microleds/

This technology will drive the world by storm.

>240k nits
Good lord. If that type of display gets in a handheld I’d finally be able to play games under the goddamn sun.

k but how do you fit millions of leds on a smartphone display and how do the logistics of brightness and power work

>old games used "flaws" in the way CRTs render to create new effects/hide defects
No they didn't.
Your picture just used the half-dot technique.

Attached: halfdot2.jpg (1831x504, 245K)

>I don't see any point in wasting space for a PC CRT when my monitor is already 1440p 144hz
Better color
Better black levels
Better motion at good brightness(ULMB is too dim)
No input lag whatsoever
etc.

Is it possible to replicate this half-dot technique on modern displays?

Actually yeah, boomers have reduced hearing and can't detect high pitched noises as well.

>k but how do you fit millions of leds on a smartphone display
Are you stupid or something?
The same way OLED does it.

MicroLED =/= Traditional LEDs you see on signage displays
MicroLED is like OLED but million times better.

my point still stands, "flaws" may be the wrong word though. it's kind of like the way Mario sunshine used mip maps to render it's water.

yeah sure maybe on a 75-150" tv but what about when you have to shrink those fuckers down to monitor or phone size? they will be expensive, heavy and require tons of energy. economies of scale won't bring the costs down that much and i don't see how you ever shrink those things down enough either

microled is literally an led per pixel. it's nothing like oled at all. don't insult me shill mcgee.

Yeah you can get pretty good results with CRT-Royale shaders on a 4K monitor or at least 1440p.
I believe you need to use the NTSC Composite shaders for this since official NES only ever supported RF and Composite and the NES PPU generated NTSC Analog Video rather than RGB and they probably used some of the flaws on the Composite Signal like a lot of NES games did for dithering and shit like that.

>microled is literally an led per pixel
It's 3 micro-leds per pixel you idiot(one red, one green and one blue for each sub-pixel). Same way OLED is on phones(TV's use the WOLED/WRGB structure because of crappy Blue OLED yields).

MicroLEDs are much much smaller than traditional LEDs. Hence why there's a lot of Microdisplays being developed using the tech and hence why Samsung was able to show a 4K 75 inch MicroLED TV earlier this year at CES.

Sweet. Thanks. Never really messed around with shaders in RetroArch, just integer scaling and whatnot. Hopefully my 1200p monitor can provide satisfactory results.

I don't understand why you guys keep repeating this outdated info.
There's a reason Apple went all in on MLED and there's a reason why MLED is at the forefront for most promising tech for VR headsets.

microled-info.com/jbd-unveils-1-million-nits-microled-microdisplay

The only problem that remains is reducing production costs, which there have been some breakthrough recently.

Anyone who says "MLED can't get big/small enough" is meme-ing at this point by uttering old outdated info.

PVM-20S1WE20
Rare as fuck and going to cost you your firstborn, arm and leg.

>PVM-20S1WE20
Did you misspell this?
Can't find anything on google.

100% required for older games.
CRTs are much more responsive than modern screens due to the difference in technology used.
You'll feel the difference on any game, but the visual quality is a lot poorer since they're older games and also a disadvantage of the tech.

If you get a PVM, you don't drop any quality and get the same responsiveness.

Only problem is that visual HD fidelity isn't really compatible with old screens, and CRTs aren't as easily portable.

My bad, should be PVM-20S1WE - copypasted it somewhere

>mfw I own 7 trinitrons
>mfw I got most of them for free

Attached: 1498903991891.png (254x261, 9K)

Is the show any good

>300 TV Lines
Is this a meme or something?
archive.org/stream/sony_PVM-20SW/PVM-20SW_djvu.txt

No they are not worth it. Consumer sets are readily available but will 100% guaranteed require calibration, some of which may have you open your set and risk death to adjust some pots.
But they can look really nice. Consumer CRTs suffer from distortion you simply don't get on modern TVs, mostly due to overblown white peaks and shit power supplies. This is a non issue with a quality CRT monitor. The uniform black levels and color depth on CRTs are much better than what you find in walmart special LED TVs though, when it comes down to it you're trading resolution and clarity for image quality, which aren't exactly one and the same. Can't speak for how OLEDs compare, but I imagine very favorably. The input lag meme is basically a non issue these days, providing that you're running your shit through an upscaler there are modern TVs that easily rival CRTs in terms of input lag.

Old consoles with a proper RGB Scart cable look really sweet on CRT TVs

>The input lag meme is basically a non issue these days, providing that you're running your shit through an upscaler there are modern TVs that easily rival CRTs in terms of input lag.
Regular ass displays still have input lag on the milliseconds.

LCD's don't have to have any lag at all as proved by Zisworks custom LCD kits which only have microseconds of lag but large manufacturers don't care that much about gaming.

I wish there was a list on what TV's to get.

I'm looking for a tiny 6-10 inch crt to put on the side of my desk and hook up a retropie to play old games on.

Is it possible?

I think so, just make sure you get a pie2scart for best image quality

Absolutely. Get yourself a 9" PVM.

I want a PVM so bad but they are not really common outside the USA

>$599

No thanks

Consumer sets that small exist as well

arcadeforge.net/Pi2Jamma-Pi2SCART/PI2SCART::264.html
what are you talking about?