Square Enix is dying

>Can't make profit despite launching KH3
>Cancelling DLC and games
>Closing studios

Press S

Attached: IMG_20190514_154247.png (480x652, 211K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/studioistolia
playstationlifestyle.net/2018/11/07/dragon-quest-11-sales-numbers-4-million/#/slide/1
youtube.com/watch?v=7LxQVAU_9ww
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

S

How much did FFXV being the biggest video game blunder ever have to do with this?

S

I miss Squaresoft

Probably not much.
Both FF15 and KH3 were pretty successful sales-wise even if they were a bit dissapointing, especially FF15.

>Betray Nintendo
>End up losing money
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

What does this mean for Deus Ex?

That's depressing since both games do not deserve any sales or fanfare.

It's almost as if putting a complete loon in charge of writing stories and experimenting with new ways to fuck up time-tested combat mechanics is a bad business move for a game company.

>hire hack
>fire him just over a year later and cancel any work that you made under his supervision
What's the point

>Make mostly shit games for nearly 20 years
>Only survive by scamming fanbases of old franchises

Huh.

The same can be said about overrated trash like Octopath.
Most games from SE these days are meh.

Should have listened to our ancestors from the long 22 years ago.

Attached: file.png (750x745, 237K)

>Closes studio after making the big mistake of listening to Hideous Baba
>OMG SQUENIX IS FINISHED

Attached: 1547561097917.jpg (330x269, 43K)

Square Enix has never been good.

Maybe they should start making good and complete games

How much damage did it do?

Attached: 1481630085-8987-jaquette-avant.jpg (801x1000, 181K)

All because Baba couldn't keep his dick in his pants and tried to fuck a seiyuu.

>YET ANOTHER GAME RUINED BY BABA

OH NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Probably not as much as XIV 1.0

HAHAHA GET FUCKED BABA YOU ASSHOLE

I

>square enix is dying
>check quarterly report
fuck off, they turned a profit

Which seiyuu?

Fuck. At this rate I'll never get to see what happens with the story in just cause 5

They didn't

nincels actually believe that LMAO

twitter.com/studioistolia

They should just make the game open source and let other devs finish it then

Great, cant wait for square to release every FF7R episode for 70 bucks.

Sure thing, Nintards.

Attached: 1557370579258.png (302x453, 270K)

Are you me? I bought it for Switch during launch and it was unironically my 2nd biggest buyers remorse right after TWEWY final remix.

Square is fucking dead.

Baba is gone

*laughs in Neptunian*

Attached: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRK_Lx8HxeFO100uPiuxj6VR4ekEfZGi3JbObotaHPdtAatbpcmuTZCifVhnTi3YIDodtfHGY0.jpg (100x100, 4K)

yep octopath was just as big of a dissapointment as KH3 and FF15 it just flew under the radar because it was exclusive and had an army of pathetic fanboys defending it plus it was a smaller production

square enix is a mess really. i don't expect anything good coming out from them in the future

reminder that sony will bail them out again and we will see another decade of SE sony exclusive games, only this time censored to hell and back

>as of march 31, 2019, net assets were ¥203,230 million, an increase of 5.1% from the pror fiscal year

Why in the world would SE hire Baba in the first place?

Attached: garbage saga.jpg (1280x720, 80K)

Attached: 1473194606660.jpg (1808x1456, 109K)

Meanwhile, pic related is doing what they're doing a whole lot better.

Forgot pic.

Attached: Cygames_logo.png (544x183, 18K)

>Today Square Enixannouncedits financial results for the fiscal year ended on March 31, 2019.

>As you can see in the tables at the bottom of the post, net sales increased year-on-year, while operating income decreased.

>The same can be said for the Digital Entertainment segment of the business, which includes video games. Games like Kingdom Hearts III, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and Just Cause 4 drove higher sales compared to the previous fiscal year, but operating income declined

Do you happen to know what assets are?

that doesn't mean they lost money, it just means they made less than the previous year. lower profit=/= no profit

And here I thought it'd be at E3.

Mikako Komatsu, who voiced Rose in Tales of Zestiria.

There was a good deal of controversy over the game, as the originally advertised heroine ended up playing a really minor role, and Rose came out of nowhere and she was just as skilled as the protag, who was special because he grew up under a very specific situation. Apparently, the story was re-written to give Rose more spotlight because Baba had a huge crush on Komatsu. The public outcry, when all of it came to light, was enough that she had to dogeza in public and personally apologize.

All Baba had to say was that the advertisers were fucking retarded for thinking the original chick was the heroine in the first place.

Thats what happens when you release several incomplete AAAA games in a row. If they were smart they'd fire nomura like konami did to kojima and stop bumbling around with these huge games they cant even finish

just fire nomura already. he's a fucking hack

How the fuck is it hard to to take a senior team, mix with noob developers in asia aka china/india and make switch rpgs. Then port to all consoles.

Japanese developers better hope the chinese cannot copy them. First is imitation then innovation.
This shit should be business 101.

How long until some other company buys out SE?

Attached: Hyperfun.jpg (540x481, 27K)

This is fucking hilarious when comparing this to Capcom's latest report. What a shit show.

How hard must they not have had to fuck up for at studio Istolia in order to get closed down before even producing anything?

Meanwhile Tokyo RPG Factory are on their third game and that's in spite of games that failed to live up to their potential. I really hope Oninaki breaks this trend.

But if a studio can make several shit games in a row and still be around for more, how hard mustn't Istolia have fucked up for this to happen?

This

>lower profit doesn't mean they're slowly dying
stay on topic

>Fire the only man making the company profit right now
Why are you wasting your time on this image board and not wasting it running a company if you have such wise insight

What are the last good companies making JRPGS?

atlus
Monolith soft
???

My best guess is that Baba did absolutely nothing in the 2 years since the studio was created and Square got rid of him.

Hopefully Sega does. Sega is just as pro-consumer as Square Enix when it comes to PC ports.

Cygames with Granblue Fantasy, Project Awakening.

Sony doesn't need SE anymore, they have arguably the best current JRPG maker in the pocket
The only stuff keeping SE relevant is nostalgia at this point

Attached: 1497306367364.jpg (1349x1379, 240K)

>XII is shit
>XIII is shit
>XIII-2 is shit
>LR is shit
>XIV is shit
>XV is shit
>KH3 is shit
Surprised they even survived this long 2bh

Are you really shocked? They went with the emergency "remake FF7" plan. That was a bad sign from the beginning.

What about games that have actually released ?

>reply chain starts with someone saying they didn't turn a profit
>s-stay on topic, they're dying

NIS. Yes NIS. They make games that aren't Disgaea too.

read the OP faggot

S

It depends, KH3 has been in development for 5+ years, thats a lot of time money and manpower in non advertisement costs alone. FFXV was also in development for that long. Those games could sell a metric fuckton but it is also not impossible for them to not turn a profit, they work with Disney, you bet your ass they are going to take royalities and such too.

Squaresoft betrayed your precious corporation sweety

Reminder that SE are the one who funded and released a turd such as Left Alive which is nicknamed in Japan "The last Kusoge of the Heisei era"
Prelude Rune must have been a massive trash of epic proportion to cancel it

Square’s failure hurts the most. There making back there money on most games how the fuck are they losing money?

this SE hatemongering is the most hypocrite shit I've seen on this board since a long time

you retards seem to be well aware of SE's constant financial troubles every year, yet at the same time you treat SE as if it was a rich company who could use being taken down a peg

like you really can't make the connection that most of the things you shittalk SE for are caused exactly by their financial difficulties, instead just pretend that the company just does every shit like this because of greed or lazyness

Sony doesn't own Atlus, dumbass, Sega does. Persona 5 might remain exclusive to Sony consoles, but the series has garnered so much recognition that I seriously doubt the next game won't be multiplat.

Not as much as you think. On the contrary, it got rid of Hackibta

Is final mix that bad? If I were to get a switch, it was going to be one of my picks

If they didnt publish dogshit like FF15 and KH3 people might be more sympathetic.

I bet SHB will flop. Flop hard. Because release date is too close to WoW Vanilla and because SE is in bad state.
All SE games flopped and now XIV is the only source of income for them. So they will milk their players and will cut costs on development.

And WoW Classic will be HUGE thing on MMO market and will draw auditory from EVERY mmo in the world because it is alpha and omega of the genre.

Actually we already can see difference between old XIV and NEW. For example new race in XIV is literally prostitutes without story, lore and logic.
And wow has cool new races with awesome style and deep lore. Like zandalars have Aztec style, man, this is super cool. You actually know this race before, you can see their capital in game and you can understand their lifestyle and problems, they have deep story and their existence is lore friendly.
But what about bunnyshit? Jeez

So... SHB is already dead and SE with it. Because SE don't have any other big games, and they need money, so they will cut costs and force more microtransactions.

Attached: 1511323337681.jpg (377x331, 48K)

unironically NIS

>Square Enix closes studios and cancels games
>Meanwhile Monolith Soft opens studios and start working on more games
Gotta love karmic justice.

>Literally sleeping on top of 74 IPs
>Does fuck all with all of them
>Used to push out half a dozen RPGs each years during the 90s
>Several of them being beloved by players all over the world
>Work for years on one Final Fantasy instead of releasing other games

Attached: 1547619666313.jpg (900x1440, 217K)

Not that square made octopath

lol

It's alright but if you expected anything like the original game then you're going to be disappointed.

>Sony doesn't need SE anymore, they have arguably the best current JRPG maker in the pocket
No? It's literally just Persona, and even then it's only the mainline Persona games. Atlus as a whole aren't bound to Sony at all.

>yfw Nintendie buys the ashes of Squenix and Could and Sephiroth show up in the next Mario Sports Mix

Will the remake safe them?

Attached: 1556065826342.jpg (474x444, 203K)

You forgot the absolute joke that is Dissidia NT.

where is this picture from it arouses me

Of course not. That remake is fucked.

I thought they've been planning that for years?
Though they were in shit before FFXV anyway considering FNC FFXIII and FFXIV

didnt play kh3 but xv's faults were already clearly budget related. They had to release the game before they could finish everything they set out to do because they just didn't have the money for it, yet you retards act like they did this shit out of greed and laziness

It's fucking comical how Sega is running leaps in bounds around SE with Persona alone now that they own Atlus.

It's just a dumb dumb, user.

Attached: 1550637759621.jpg (800x1100, 135K)

Persona is good and all, but other platforms still get Etrian Odyssey and SMT.

Came here to post this, S for squeenix.

the enix half is fine, but the square half is so horribly mismanaged
i wouldn't be surprised if they ended up closing a lot of the squaresoft half and selling assets to make up for the losses. enix is still strong, but squaresoft is fucking dead.

FF15 only sold well because of the literal "Final Fantasy" brand name itself. I swear to you, give it another title and it would not sell. And it's because it has those famous FFs in the title that it WILL reach it's 10 million units sold plan. Also, FF7 Remake despite being episodic garbage WILL sell because it IS Final Fantasy 7, that 7 says it all.

Now then Kingdom Hearts 3, that game only sold well because it is Kingdom Hearts 3, the sacred cow for the KH fanbase. That alone was the main hype for this game. Now that it's come and gone? The series sales are going to decrease. Probably will sell around as well as they did for games like Dream Drop Distance and Days (meaning one million and that's it). If no that, then Birth by Seep tier sales which is just 2 million which is disappointing for a so called Pillar Franchise for Square Enix. The point is many veteran fans have no interest in what's going to happen with Kingdom Hearts after 3. And the series is not friendly to newcomers so the idea of starting the new arc with KH4 sounds idiotic.

Square Enix is honestly not going to be doing that great in the near future.

>FF15 only sold well because of the literal "Final Fantasy" brand name itself. I swear to you, give it another title and it would not sell.
Same applies to the rest of the series.

please tell bisecting is fetish

yes, clearly square's financial troubles from ffxv are related to nintendo making a console that couldn't run their games in the '90s.

Sega has been getting smarter this gen. Yakuza being localized en masse, Sonic Mania, revival of Valkyria Chronicles and soon Sakura Wars, and everything around Atlus.
Meanwhile SE is making a fool of themselves at every opportunity

>make boatloads off of XIV
>throw them at literally anything but XIV
>they all suck shit
Wow it's like they should have put it back into the game or something.

>Both FF15 and KH3 were pretty successful sales-wise
only one of them lost $33 million and got the director fired, and it wasn't kh3.

>Sega and Square Enix merge
>one company has literally retarded management, the other has management full of Jews
How would this go down?

Oh the n64 could run FF7 easily.
They just wanted those retarded fmvs

Persona 5 on Switch is just a matter of time user.

true. the square part just sucks now. they just cant make good games now. no only do they take too long to release them, but when they do, they simply suck ass, just like final fantasy XV (a.k.a the worst videogame of the last generation)

>New Sakura Wars
It's honestly kind of amazing that SEGA seems to understand just how much this title means to their Japanese fanbase because it seriously looks like a pretty damn big budget project going by interviews.

how would firing one of the only competent people left at their company help square turn things around? square's messy development cycles have nothing to do with nomura and everything to do with clueless executives meddling.

How about this instead. Don't fire Nomura, but demote him. He's no longer a director. Keep him at what he does best, designing monsters and characters (under heavy supervision of course because we know what his character designs look like when it's entirely him on his own). Do that and start hiring new talent. We got too many literal dinosaurs working at SE and I don't mean the old bearded prunes that make up the board of directors for the company.

good post. you are right.

Hopefully dead forever so söymales cant ruin it any further

This game looked like absolute fucking garbage. This was a fucking Hideo Baba game, we should be rejoicing that not even Square wants his garbage and now less of his shitty games will be polluting the industry. Now Square can put that money into something that might actually be good.

Attached: 1547088354316.jpg (130x234, 6K)

Fuck off Eric

WoW sucks. Have sex.

>Now Square can put that money into something that might actually be good.
HA
The last decent thing they put money into was octopath and people hated it.

This pretty much. Ruined FFXV and ruined KH3. Dude needs to be kept on a fucking leash before he starts shitting everywhere the sun don't shine. Japs place too much emphasis on the lead. When it's someone like Yoshi, who can get shit done, then sure. But don't hand it off to an effeminate manchild who idolizes his own properties more than others, who thinks his fanfiction tier garbage is worth a damn.

KH3 was awesome tho

>Now Square can put that money into something that might actually be good.
Even if they did Yea Forums would still complain because all people want here is a "classic" FF game, with the FF name to be sure, because Yea Forums is at large made up of casual plebs who don't even play games.

These threads only show how far people here will go in order to keep living in their delusions.

You're right but at least now the potential exists for them to do something good with that budget instead of the certainty of another shitty Baba game.

>this is what bingtendies honestly believe

Attached: ff7n64.png (1132x1072, 362K)

it will sell but it will be forgotten too

Tell that to FF13.

why do people here have such a hateboner towards this guy?

why is he even so popular?

He almost completely killed off the Tales of series.

The only thing that will save Square at this point is mass layoffs and a drastic change in management so their development cycles are actually reasonable instead of taking 10 years to make one game. The fact that FF7R has already restarted development at least once means that they're going to continue relying on Eidos and Crystal Dynamics to bring in money for them, but the second one of them makes a flop the whole company is going to go under. Square is probably the most mismanaged company in all of gaming, which is a fucking shame because they put out so many games every year in the SNES and PS1 eras that they could have supported a console of their fucking own.

Ever played Tales of? Yeah that's the reason why they are shit.

Good riddance

Christ learn to read. user said
>in their pocket
You know what that means right?

I'd love to take the time to point out why everything you said is wrong, but it's clear you're just another butthurt, deluded FF fanboy.
You've been doomposting since FFXII at the very least and Squenix is still here.
Don't you ever get tired of this?

S

Whatever fuck off

The suits running it are goddam idiots. Not in the metaphorical way either

>I'd love to take the time to point out why everything you said is wrong,
Then why aren't you?

What were they thinking when establishing entire studio just so Baba can squat on it doing absolutely nothing?

Give this man a bigger budget SE

he is the only one who can save you, and you know it

Attached: 1513193712126.jpg (383x427, 39K)

ShB will flop, but not because of shitty classic

Because I don't waste my time with delusional faggots beyond telling them to get help.

Attached: 1557095536349.png (251x251, 102K)

So it couldn't run it then. Goalpost moving fag

There's no doubt that Sony incentivized Atlus/Sega to make Persona 5 a playstation exclusive, but Persona has become massively popular, to the point that it can stand beside decades old franchises like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in terms of name-brand recognition. Sony would have to haggle down the price for exclusivity for Persona 6, and if Atlus expects a bigger return from going multiplat and growing the fanbase, then Persona 6 will be multiplat.

Starting with Tales of Xillia he got a bug up his ass and decided Dark and Edgy was the way to go for hte franchise, seriously, all the way to Bearseria the tales of series from then on only had downer endings, a lot of deaths and the people responsible for hte state of the world not getting getting punched or stabbed in the face in xillia's world the human spirit conflict happened because someone killed a dude and the corpse shell and alternate reality conflict happened because someone thought they were suppose to kill their family when they didn't have to and Zesteira and Bearsia happened because higher powers didn't want seraph and human mixing and getting along so they made the hellion curse

This is retarded. Kojima was bleeding money because the retards gave him a blank cheque. Norma doesn't get that. Instead he gets thrown around multiple projects because he (was) their golden goose.

>but Persona has become massively popular
>to the point that it can stand beside decades old franchises like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in terms of name-brand recognition

Attached: 1556745524364.jpg (600x800, 75K)

How much money did FF15 lose them? I dont think we'll ever know

Nomura is a humble man, he knows KH is not the greatest. He acknowledges the story is hard to keep track of. And frankly after KH3 was released he openly said:

"If the series even has a future."

He knows KH is on thin ice and that the series' novelty is gone. So give him some credit.

No wonder Sony attract SJW developers

Remember the good time.

Attached: image.png (1040x2508, 551K)

>yfw Baba keeps getting fucked

Attached: 1556043019752.jpg (640x682, 46K)

Popularity doesn't imply anything about quality. Put your fanboy card back in your wallet.

Nigger XV was barely any of Norma by release and KH wouldn't be a thing without Noruma

>putting more effort into easy money

They should be back in the black soon now that their gacha department knows to make the OP characters be cute anime girls.

Pajeet btfo

Attached: 1544436729645.gif (500x281, 561K)

I'm not talking about quality, I don't like any of those series either, they're all trash.
You're just out of your mind if you think Persona is even remotely on the same level of popularity or establishment as FF or DQ.

>nomura ruined KH3

KH IS Nomura you retard
also, XV was taken out of his hand, we have no idea what the game would have became if it was directed by him

>octopath and people hated it.
Are you sure?
Like I get that it's heaily flawed, but I saw praising, unless general public thoughts towards it shifted in the last year

FFXV mobile reskin made over $450 millons

Attached: B1FF649F-FF33-49F3-93FB-DC1C66CC5B07.jpg (1338x1879, 1.2M)

>let the quiet man and left alive be made
>close a studio that has yet to have done anything

Development cycles are a lot longer than they used to be, and peoples attention spans are shorter. All Atlus needs to do to be as relevant and recognized as FF and DQ is to release a Persona game at the same clip.

That's a stretch. P5 helped it grow in popularity, but not as much as you think. I saw someone post figures the other day saying SMT still outsells it as a series (somehow) could be bullshit though, I don't know

Square Enix is far from dying. If only because their MMO and mobile divisions are raking in mountains of gold, day by day, hand over fist.
At this point? Making full scale AAA RPGs is nothing more than advertisements for their mobile game endeavors.

FUCK
ADULTS

You first? Persona isn't anywhere near those series.

What the fuck is wrong with this generation?

if that was true then the company wouldn't lose money every year

Best selling SMT is SMT 4 with 500k.

Best selling Purseowner is 5 with 2m. They don't even compare.

>Development cycles are a lot longer than they used to be, and peoples attention spans are shorter.
Exactly, and Persona has to deal with that, meanwhile DQ and FF have a 30+ years history and dozens upon dozens of multimillion selling entries in their portfolio, whereas Persona started with 3 for 90% of the fanbase and only become a real hit with 4 and 5.
Don't be disingenuous.

ShB will be interesting. They triggered a lot of the western faggots with the race debacle. Then again, I doubt these faggots will follow through with their boycotts. These are the same faggots that will drop $10 for a shitty outfit

To be fair that studio was headed by the person that fucked up the Tales of series, who then decided to fuck of without even finishing his first project with SE

Learning their lesson for once.

Yea I thought it was bullshit

It isn't. Square Enix is in the black. DEEP in the black.
The "losses" taken by XV? A splash spilling from their very full bucket.

Attached: squareenix revenue.png (266x224, 7K)

>but Persona has become massively popular, to the point that it can stand beside decades old franchises like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in terms of name-brand recognition
On what fucking planet? Are personafags really this deluded?

I thought IV was 600k lifetime?
Not arguing against the point or anything

>massively popular
I really wouldn't call 3 million copies massively popular

GTA5 with 100+million sales is massively pouplar
Even games like Diablo3 or Skyrim with 35+million sales are massively popular

you people don't really seem to be aware of game sale statistics. No Japanese game series is massively popular anymore.

Zestria still doesn't get a proper discount, they must have lost some money from all the bad press. I remember it was so tainted when it came out there were people boycotting the game. I thoguht it was mainly japs, but maybe some weebs caught on as well. Scamco's prices are awful unless they're on sale.

Attached: 734A01B6-E0D9-4023-AE74-210F93F688A5.jpg (1214x1239, 520K)

F
I really liked Dragon Quest and Crono...

And SE decision to now only show projects that are 1 year and change to release is better for them, instead of announcing shit too soon, especially when shit like this happens

you don't seem to understand what net income is

their operating income decreased, they are literally losing money
don't confuse this with the net income being bigger

Maybe the phrase "stand beside" is exaggerated. My intent was to say that as far as JRPG series go, the Persona series isn't a blip on the radar compared to the industry giants. Persona is top 5 at the very least in terms of popularity, normies name drop it all the time.

pretty sure Ys 8 sold 30k copies, might want check yo self before yo rekt yo self.

It's the western side of SE is responsible for losing money. Left alive bombed but was pretty cheap to make, Just Cause 4 and Tomb Raider on other hand had huge budgets but both underperformed hard.

Attached: 30bbaa88eea184707f02c99217cf21b9d3b4f5a51e038af001fc275bb1bd8cd5.jpg (669x395, 31K)

>GTA5 with 100+million sales is massively pouplar
To be fair it's only selling extraordinarily well because they sell the game with shark cards. Not that gta isn't popular but when you have people buying your game because it's cheaper than buying the in game money from say psn then it inflates the numbers a bit.

They literally explained in one of their reports that FFXV cancelled DLC caused a $30M loss

Squeenix do more than vidya.

>the Persona series isn't a blip on the radar
It still is, it's only been in the limelight recently because of smash.

despite the colossal failure of Dragon Quest XI's western port, that franchise is going nowhere. We might not get western ports anymore, but they'll be making mobile gacha games from that IP until armegeddon.

lmao net income means income after all operating costs you faggot. It is literally their plus after all minuses. Operating income is before taxes and interest, why would it be more relevant to their absolute worth than net income? Utterly preposterous.

>colossal failure of Dragon Quest XI
source ?

>Exactly, and Persona has to deal with that
Persona 5 laid the groundwork for at least ten more years of SMT and Persona games on consoles. Atlus is gonna reuse assets to speed up development for future titles. Atlus spent so much money on Persona 5 in the first place because they couldn't keep reusing PS2 assets anymore.

In the past they could have made multiple games in the same time span with comparable sales but a lower budget. If the game takes twice as long to make and sells the same as usual then you've already halved gross income.

playstationlifestyle.net/2018/11/07/dragon-quest-11-sales-numbers-4-million/#/slide/1

it sold 4 million copies worldwide, where 3.2 million came from Japan. This includes every market, both physical and digital sales included.

>It still is, it's only been in the limelight recently because of smash.
You are overstating Smash's popularity, but I won't deny that the "smash bump" exists.

net income is the overall revenue the company generates, but that gets split across all the third parties

operating income is the actual money the company is making, with all the spent expenses taken into account. SE has way too much expenses, it doesn't matter if they are generating more revenue for third parties, the company itself is running out of money.

Persona 5 didn't even sell enough to be a blip on SE's radar, you retard.

fucking jinks

>You are overstating Smash's popularity
user, smash is a regular double digit seller and completely stole the show during the game awards and E3

2,4 million vs 14 million.
Smash is the only reason that game became relevant in the mainstream for a moment.

>Octopath
>overrated
How much do you think it sold, exactly, seethingman?

What is with SE these days? It seems like they're either putting out cheap shit like Left Behind/Quiet Man or AAA games that probably can't recoup dev costs like KH3/FFXV. It seems like they almost hate putting out mid-tier games like Octopath Traveler or Nier.

>Persona 5 laid the groundwork for at least ten more years of SMT and Persona games on consoles.
That would equal maybe three games total, without counting ALL the other assets they have to produce, and not just in terms of visuals.
>Atlus is gonna reuse assets to speed up development for future titles
That's why SMTV has been announced three years ago and it's nowhere to be seen, right?

Attached: 1554231916797.jpg (640x480, 25K)

>investing in Just Cause 4, instead of Sleeping Dogs II.

about half of P5 right now.
And it was probably much cheaper to develop.

Fucking Nier Automata old twice as many copies as Persona and that game is not even near being popular. Unless Persona will ditch the whole VN aspect, it'll never have any relevance among ordinary gamers, no matter how many hours you spend on Persona forums convincing yourself that it has brand recognition.

>That's why SMTV has been announced three years ago
Two. And in that note they also have D3 assets they could use, Atlus are just slow as shit.

>about half of P5 right now
It's more like 3/4ths and on a single system mind you. Assuming the pc audience is interested the game has the potential to soar past it.

Ridiculous. You honestly think gumi, DeNA, and MZ have any relevant cuts in the enormous sums of money flowing towards SE? Licensing is not cheap in japan.

And for Square, Persona 5 sales numbers are nothing noteworthy.
FFXV sold 8.1 million copies and wasn't considered a success.

They really liked Baba is You. And got confused.

Yeah, it was only in developing for 10 years I mean with that little time who can finish a game right?

That is quite impressive, especially with a lot less hype, ads and a smaller installbase.

>gaystation
he knew

Attached: 1997wasabetteryearforSony.png (664x4272, 2.1M)

took the words right out of my mouth

>weeb publisher, closes a weeb studio, cancels a weeb game

And nothing of important was lost.

FFXV was considered a major success by SE, people just meme because Tabata resigned that it MUST have been a failure and he was secretly fired and kicked out the door despite economics not working that way at all.

>FFXV sold 8.1 million copies and wasn't considered a success.
Persona 5 being able to make about a fourth the sales with less than 1/8th the budget of FFXV is why FFXV is a failure.

That's because there's an audience for these games while Persona sold on pure hype.

How is that a failure for a series that has always been a japanese dominated market?

To be fair DQ9 sold something like 5m on one system.

Its western sales are lower than Dragon Quest IX's despite it being a bigger production.

I thought the dlc getting cancelled was more of a sign that they wanted more.

>That would equal maybe three games total, without counting ALL the other assets they have to produce, and not just in terms of visuals.
I miss the PS2 era of fatlus

SE is still in the Japanese game developer identity crisis that most Japanese devs managed to climb out of after last gen

SE still wants to make big budget games for 10millions of people, but they don't really know what appeals to the average modern westerner, so their games are left in the uncanny valley of japanese-western design

all they had to do was making a highfantasy FF with proper real time action combat, and everyone would be happy, and it would easily sell over 10 millions, but they also seem to be too stubborn at believing that the current western market wants FF7-like artstyles

As long as the SaGa Frontier remaster gets done before I or Squeenix goes belly up, no fucks given.

What about DQX?

because they spent big on advertising, voiced all the characters where the original japanese game had no voices, and couldn't even get half the sales between Europe and the U.S. as they did in Japan. I think it's safe to say with 4 million units sold, they made a profit, which is good, but the real question is whether they made a profit from their western port. I expected they would sell 2 million copies of it, I bought a steam copy. under 1 million is a huge yikes given it's long history and huge marketing campaign.

That just means the DLC weren't expected to make returns. Probably took way too much time and effort for XV DLCs and I don't think Episodes Gladio, Prompto, and Ignis were all that well received to begin with, so why go for a second wave?

Nope, they are gonna nerf the fuck out of tifa to appease Sony.

The remix is going to kill Squeenix, just like the new Mass Effect Andromeda killed Bioware Montreal.

Fans are already doing to the "improved" FF7 characters what they did to ME:A's Sara Ryder.

Attached: 1557865658796.png (1250x700, 921K)

That's what they get for soiling Deus Ex

it isn't those companies that take the money,
gaming companies work on investors, they don't actually have billions of cash in their pockets to pay for all the simultaneous game developments and massive marketing, investors do, but they will also take their shares from the profit

Sony is another good example for this. Playstation has a massive net income, but Sony only takes around 8% of that money.

The fans are unironically killing them.
Everybody knows the budget for their games are too high, and people will loudly complain about SE being greedy in order to break even.
But once you even mention that their high production values are to blame, and maybe they don't have to make the best graphics of the generation people will screech autistically that you would ruin what makes SE special.

>Sega in charge of not making retarded decisions
They're better off dead.

>hack who fucked up Tales of
Good riddance.

>they have arguably the best current JRPG maker in the pocket
Who?

a-are we still getting the final fantasy crystal chronicles remake?

>What about DQX?

Never released outside Japan

I'm angry people are focusing on all this irrelevant crap instead of getting on their asses over the episodic bullshit

DQ9 sold 5M copies on a system that had 100+ units around by then, of which Japan housed at the very least 30.
Consider that DQ9 sold 1.6 millions on the PS4 ALONE in Japan, which had an install base of about 5 million units and a bit more than that on the 3DS, which has, iirc, around 20 million units in japan.
These are pretty respectable numbers all in all when you put them in perspective, this is without considering how much the Switch port will sell given how it's supposed to be some kind of definitive version, it's bound to sell a lot in Japan.
That is getting more and more likely by the day.
Given how Re:UniverSe is absolutely smashing it in Japan and all the various events in the recent months, I really wouldn't be surprised if they announced the remake this year, it's the perfect time to do so and the series rallied a lot of core fans back starting the RS2 remaster and Scarlet Grace being so well received.

Another studio ruined, is there anything this man can't fuck up?

Attached: 1377314_615278885191169_700340401_n.jpg (960x640, 72K)

Its just a port, dont worry. Whether or not it will be a good port remains to be seen though.

I barely see much of a difference though outside of the jaw or chin? This doesn't seem like ME or Anthem levels of uncanny valley, or even something like sometimes weird facial capture in RE7.

Commit suicide

>shoot FFXI Online in the kneecap just in time for FFXIV 1.0's beta to come out
>14's shit
>no-one can go back to XI because they ruined that too
>have to spend millions of $ over 3-4 years to fix 14
>release it
>charge people money to buy it again
>have an incredibly complicated and convoluted payment system to convert $ into crystals and then use the crystals to pay for the sub in a separate account from the game account instead of just using normal payment systems like everyone else
>trick people into paying a monthly sub for a generic WoW clone with worse gfx than XI
>XI's community have moved onto classic private servers that capture the feeling of the old days (kinda)
>every single-player FF game since X has been shit
>keep making sequels to 13 even though no-one liked 13
>XI is still their most profited game they've ever released and kept them from going bankrupt in the late 00's
they get what they deserve really.

Attached: 1439728919890.jpg (735x1016, 89K)

Snoys hate buying good games. All of those console warriors putting DQXI on their list of 2018 releases had zero intentions of buying DQXI. These pigs used the DQ name to shill the PS4.
Dunno why SE wastes it time with Snoyboys when all they want is AAA gay chuuni shit like FFXV and KH3. DQXI would have sold better had it been released on the Switch day 1. Nobody wants to play video games on the PS4 until Snoy removes the ultimate cancer in video games, Trophies.
Now SE has realized its mistake, and Nintendo will be publishing the Switch version of DQXI.

S and where is that butthole licker that was defending Hideo Baba now huh

Attached: 1556322632118.png (502x378, 389K)

>Cringy weeb pretending his trash series is worth a shit
kek

Do you know how little investors are actually involved in mobile gaming? Mobage have extremely low overhead and operating costs, and utterly enormous returns.

hey FFXII was good! >:( I really wish they would create "vanilla" servers for FFXI. 75 cap I mean. Nasomi is ok, but it's just not the same.

Attached: ffxiaf.jpg (1169x930, 814K)

>Put Baba in charge of his own studio
>he leaves
>studio gets canned and so does the game
Not really all that surprising.

Who did he try to fuck this time?

>Square Enix is dying

Attached: as if.png (559x538, 262K)

Let's just hope that not even Dairy Queen 11 can save them. That way we can laugh harder.

>finally drop competitiveness and start believing into that everybody is a winner mentality
>release FF7, FFX and FF12 on Switch... and Xbome
>suddenly foreclosure of studios
Really makes me think.

They are probably banking on the upcoming FF7 episodes to inject life into them, and like 20 years ago they'll probably use all that cash to make a movie and run out of cash; FF16 heh.

Its kind of unfortunate that the destined successes of Atlus will go to Sega's wallet. Index had bad luck. They could have been big these days.

there current situation is based on decisions made over half a decade ago. Squeenix' number one problem is they're always betting against an unsure future while simultaneously trying to be at the cutting edge of it. They take way too long producing their games.

snoyfags and their obsessions with graphics and movies is unironically what is killing SE

Then again FF is literally a franchise that was bragging about its graphics for the longest time. If they cant back that up now then they're weak. :^)

They got the ugliest version of FF7 and FF9.

FINAL FANTASY XV GOT OUTSOLD BY FUCKING HORIZON ZERO DAWN

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Baba is a massive screwup that proves that he's an incompetent idiot
>SE does the smart thing to remove him and everything he's touched
>somehow the thread is not about shitting on baba but attacking SE for making a smart decision for once

????????

It's just Nincels coping: the thread

What good is a smart decision if it's the exception and not the rule?

Bring back the Ivalice Alliance, cancel everything else.

Got to push the laugh at Square enix narrative at all costs, user

it's a really bad game though. the production values were good, the concept was fine, the execution was just so fucking terrible and boring.

>his last name is baba

shieeeet

Attached: 1527302323180.png (847x479, 266K)

>less than one game every 5 years.
>all archaic generic hot garbage
>sales lower than indie games
Admit it, you don't even own a copy yourself, like most of the industry, you just like to pretend it's good and hype it to feel like you belong.

>Baba gets "promoted" into one of those shame-ridden positions Japanese companies are known for utilizing the force an employee to willingly resign
>Baba finally resigns, promised a job by Sqeenix
>only for them to cut him again shortly afterwards
I think the publishers might've collaborated just to fuck with Baba.

>Baba is a such a fuck up he can't even do a gatcha game right the most easy way to drain money from nips
Serves him right.

Persona 5 didn't even sell more than Nier Automata.

Attached: 030.jpg (2560x1440, 849K)

>Snoys hate buying good games.
the best-selling game on the switch is a wii u port of a kart racing game for casuals.

Can't wait to play final fantasy vii: episode one in 2027!

the real question is why they ever hired him in the first place.

>tries to pretend Mario Kart isn't amazing
Snoyfags, everybody!

They closed Istlolia because they want the staff from there to concentrate on FF7R. Which is actually a great decision considering who the fucking leader of that studio was.

Good riddance of Baba.

The people focusing on it are the ones not stupid enough to buy it.

It's amazing how much they've fallen.

>nobody is excited about FF anymore
>they don't make the best graphics anymore

They got left in the dust by Capcom, Fromsoft and even a bunch of western devs

Attached: this may be fun.jpg (574x574, 53K)

FF7 Remake will save them

boom

Attached: gooby pls.gif (300x166, 527K)

Should've released more games on PC

Square Enix still publish decent stuff, but as a developer they are garbage now. Their best modern game is a MMO for fucks sake.

dont forget all the shitty anime tropes in that fucking game. Couldn't even finish the game due to the ass written characters. Same with Xenoblade 2.

Good now sell Geno to Nintendo

Attached: geno in smash.png (893x894, 400K)

except it has literally everything to do with it if it made no profits or did not meet goals set by the company

Attached: mutt1.jpg (1280x720, 141K)

It's what happens when you produce 100+ titles under the name Final Fantasy, you devalue the brand because ultimately you're going to produce a lot of shit or average games versus the great ones expected from SE.

KH3 is his to ruin. If you can’t come to terms with this, maybe you shouldn’t be so entitled.

You know what hurts me bros? That we aren't gonna get amazing music? SE music is amazing and they really put effort

XV DLC cancellation sucks because the music of the DLC is incredible

youtube.com/watch?v=7LxQVAU_9ww