Yea Forums is always saying that Grimrock 2 is good

>Yea Forums is always saying that Grimrock 2 is good
>it's not turn based
Who thought making a real time "action" blobber was a good idea?

Attached: sc.jpg (1917x1047, 350K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_Master_(video_game)
druidstone-game.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Everyone

It's not bad once you get used to it but it really does end up limiting combat by quite a bit.

>knows the term blobber but doesn't know there were multiple popular real time ones in the 90s
Nice try zoomer.

Why would you want to play Grimshit when you could be playing a good fpp crawler like Wizardry 8

>what is Dungeon Master

the guys who made eye of the beholder and dungeon master (1987)

The guys who made Dungeon Master back in the 80s did.

Grimrock isn't a blobber due to shit tiling system allowing only one enemy per tile

Real time blobbers are all shit,its one of the reasons why i can't force myself to play Zanki Zero anymore.

The people who made Grimrock.
Real time blobbers existed back in the day as well, I believe.

The first one is more comfy

>not playing Grimoire

B-but you did play and enjoy M&M6-8 r-right?

"Boohoo"
That's all I hear.
It's a master piece, so just get over it.
It might take some time to get over it, but mostly because you are a purist autist.
If you are a combat oriented guy, this might not be the one for you

Puzzles.

>Puzzles.
That's a staple of Wizardry 8 tho.

Not that guy, but the Might and Magic games are a better experience in turn-based mode.

Blobber refers to a party-based rpg in first person view you retard. The fuck does tile capacity do with this.

Attached: 53414132.jpg (512x512, 527K)

Back to codex neckbeard
Why does this genre have the biggest, most autistic purists of all?
"It's shit because turn based is better because I like it more therefore it's SHIT"

LoG2 is puzzle autists wet dream, W8 is for that sweet fucking combat

Because you can't blob on enemies when the game limits you to one enemy per tile dumbo

Everyone knows that Grimrock 2 is a fucking turd. Grimrock 1 is where it's at.

The "blob" is the player's party. It's a single, massive entity with a dozen arms that strikes the enemy.

genre autism aside the controls are fine

>The game must stay in first-person view at all times within the game world (so that the camera can never be pointed at the party). Functionally, this means that the player's party always stays together and moves and acts as a single unit. No member of the party can be separated spacially from the rest, so, for instance, one party member cannot be commanded to walk down a hallway while the rest of the party waits behind. Thus, the party only has physical presence within the game world in the forms of walking around (i.e. having legs), swinging weapons or casting spells (i.e. having arms), and staying glued together as a solitary mass (i.e. being a blob). This artifice came to be called "a blob with arms and legs" and games that used it were in turn called "blobbers".
You are either a newfag, underage, both or a tremendous fucking mouthbreather. Neck yourself before saying stupid shit next time.

Attached: 46352431.gif (320x240, 2.48M)

Real time changes the whole idea of it.

Instead of fights being a battle of stats and luck, they become a battle of skill and awareness.
Real-time is an INCREDIBLE change to this genre and I honestly wish there were more games like Grimrock.

Makes me sad to know that the developer gave up on the series.

Attached: 1414760078383.png (1300x760, 60K)

lol this the first time I heard such a definition to me and my circle of friends blobbers were always games like the later M&M where the game throws on you dozens of the same enemies

You're either lying through your teeth or confusing blobbers with hack'n'slash, zoom zoom.

You and your friends are homosexuals.

Well sorry for not going to a wiki to clarify the definitions of every genre. To me M&M was a blobber but I would never say Wizardry was one.

No it doesn't, it refers to specific first person party based action RPGs where there were BLOBS of enemies on screen at a time

Refer to retard.

That reminds me I must go back and finish Vaporum

I feel you

I like everything about Grimrock aside from the real time battle shit.

I know it's like that because there are these purists who like that style of gameplay due to nostalgia, but it's a gameplay style that is inherently designed to be 'gamed', which to me ruins the experience.

In a turn-based battle I can at least suspend my disbelief and imagine whatever the hell I want to fill in the blanks. With this style though, it's like the party is literally moving around in a circle backwards as their fighting style. I mean it's just retarded.

what are some games like Grimrock on steam that are actually good, ie turn-based?

Attached: 1532647351505.jpg (1600x899, 236K)

>never played a dungeon crawler before
>get LoG in a bundle and try it out
>fucking love the atmosphere, puzzles and navigation
>combat's neither good nor bad
>part of what made it great was the continuous descent deeper into the dungeon, and the building suspense
>last boss felt kind of stupid, like it cheapened the experience somehow, would still happily recomend
>excited for LoG2
>navigating an island just doesn't hold the same sway over me as the dungeon of the first game
>the annoyances of the combat gets too much and I drop it
I don't know what to feel

Attached: 1556688223817.jpg (540x564, 178K)

I really enjoyed the first one for a couple hours but dropped it for unrelated reasons.
Should pick this shit up back again, as well as other classic dungeon crawlers from back in the day that I never got to play because I'm a humongous faggot.

I dunno, user. Being able to kill almost anything in a 1v1 by sidestepping trick might not be a great design.

The Bard's Tale Trilogy
Starcrawlers
Might and Magic 3-7 and 9 isn't bad either
Wizardry 8.....older ones if you are a masochist.
Lands of Lore

I meant might and magic 10. 9 is horseshit.

>not using 4 minotaurs
I see what your problem is.

>Wizardry 8.....older ones if you are a masochist.
>Currently playing through Wizardry 6
Modern games have made me weak, though I've heard the older ones, 4 especially, are far more cruel.

2 > 1, unless you are a casual

Depends, early game enemies are supposed to be like that. Late game it come become a disco floor.
It has potential. LOG uses combat more as a spice, so it's not that important. There are a couple of good fights were these mechanics are used well, but obviously not as often as many combat fanatics wan't.

Lands of Lore is real time?

too bad might n magic legacy x was only average in quality

You are welcome, now you know how to go to a wiki to clarify the definitions of every genre you wan't to talk about before acting like a bitch.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_Master_(video_game)
This was one of the first games I remember playing
Welcome to 1987 I guess?

The Eye of the Beholder guys, for one.

It's a fine design when the game is balanced for it.
In Grimrock, you can only heal from potions or a save point, sidestepping is the only way you're going to survive, especially when facing enemies who deal massive damage such as the Ogre.

Grimrock 2 has enemies that can sidestep just like the player can, you have to react fast enough to not get hit.

Attached: 1438545333130.webm (640x480, 2.72M)

It plays like DS, you gotta poke your head to different places to test if you can hold out. The hub area is fucking comfy.
It made the jump from linear to more open, try it again someday. There are so many fucking secrets and good things coming from this design.

I don't think he want's to speedrun user

Well, average is better than bad.

That is the secret final dungeon stuff? Is it good as I have only finished the "final boss" and feel done

sure but I think because it was just average they don't plan on making any more

>2
>boring trash puzzles every five squares
>terrible underwater mechanics

Nope, part 2 is a piece of shit.

>turnbased
>good

Go play a board game you fat faggot. Lmao roll some fucking dice. Fucking write down some numbers and add them together on a calculator. Fucking fatass.

no, that's pre-boss content

>Grimrock 2 has enemies that can sidestep just like the player can, you have to react fast enough to not get hit.
>that one desert area with millions of enemies and golems

there are only two reason to play them in realtime, exploiting and having fun with blasters (or bows if you dont like scifi) at the end of game

I cant take 6 because of colors and shit ui, but I love 7, never finished it though, I always kinda lose interest once gorrors are dead

>boring trash puzzles every five squares
Git gud, those puzzles are excellent.
>terrible underwater mechanics
???
Git gud I guess? please explain

Wizardry 1 is fine if you aren't doing masochistic no reloading permadeath rules. 5 is supposed to be japan's favorite but the maps are fucking huge and there's so much deliberate padding and backtracking that I never finished it.

That was good fun though. Plenty of spaces to run around. You can even rest up when they're down to just the golem.

I guess user didn't like the risk of drowning or the inability to use weapons apart from tridents.

I wouldn't mind so much if you couldn't abuse most enemies to avoid damage entirely.

>LoG2 is puzzle autists wet dream, W8 is for that sweet fucking combat
A sound person in Yea Forums, weird.
I'm happy we got some clones, and great fan maps from LoG1&2, but it's a shame there isn't even one modern W8 clone, hope some indies will correct that mistake sooner or later.

4 sells itself as "advanced" Wizardry, implication being that Wizardry 1-3 was Sir-Tech pitching underhand for you.

Congratulations, you and your friends are retards.

>Starcrawlers
Looked good, but the more I play the less I like it.

6's UI is simple enough that you quickly get used to it and I find the graphics more hindred by the limited tileset than anything else, every locale has had exactly the same stone walls and floors so far, constraints of the time it was made and all that.
Enemy designs have thier own charm though.

>>that one desert area with millions of enemies and golems
I was blown away. Loved that part

Basically this.

I play is as a quick pass the time game like minesweeper or solitaire. It is the kind of game you do a single dungeon run and turn it off till you need something to do for 10 minutes again.

You're a fucking blobber because you're a fucking fatass

You remind me of that retard from awhile ago that thought Meta was an acronym for Most Effective Tactic Avaliable

literally what is the appeal of real time grid based dungeon crawling?

play a fucking action game.

Oh I got 20 hours in before I dropped it. I was having fun with a lot of it too, but it gradually wore me out. If the combat would have been, at the very less, less annoying, I would have finished it. Really, add hotkeys instead of having to click everything, not to mention every rune while you want to cast a spell

To be fair, that ends up being the purpose of the meta, or the meta meta

Aren't the devs working ona shitty turn based crpg now? What the fuck are they thinking?

Even Wizardry 1 requires masochism to play. Turning tiles that give you no indication of whether or not you just turned, good luck mapping that room out by hand without previous knowledge that certain squares were going to spin you around. And that's not even on the harder floors, that's close to the beginning. In one of the other earlier floors if your thief is wrong when disabling traps on chests, you could actually get teleport trapped to a room you can't escape, being forced to create new characters.

>Zanki Zero
Did they uncensor yet? Will they ever?
I still want to play the game.

Yep. After producing two fantastic games and promptly abandoning them, they are now working on yet another shitty CRPG.
druidstone-game.com/

Attached: druidstone_beta.jpg (1920x1080, 752K)

you know, fuck it. i'm downloading grimrock now. AMA

whoa big titties
based game

If it was turn based nobody would have given a shit about it. Made it unique instead of just Wizardry.

It's garbage, and the sales speak for themselves. Even dungeon fans did not care for it. You may like it, and that's fine, but you're the odd man out. LoG2 managed to sell way worse than the fucking first game.

Grimrock combat is retarded though, it's mostly just you circlestrafing around in between cooldowns while spam clicking, it's hardly sophisticated. Still enjoyed them for exploration at least

How gay am I if I beat Wizardry1 but used the elevator?

they kept the bad parts to appeal to nostalgia.

>retarded grandpas need their turn based system because they can't think on the go

>I played four minutes and quit
Then don't reply to this thread

On a scale of 1-10, you don't want to have sex with men, but you'd totally be down for some cuddling with a big furry guy.

Tough but fair

There is no first person rpg action games.

What about Skyrim?

Attached: dm.jpg (616x353, 51K)

9 is ok
Playing through it right now, dungeon design and music carry it

>that one desert area with millions of enemies and golems
At first I though it was a cinematic, this part was genuinely surprising.

Attached: Deus Ex.jpg (800x1122, 131K)

retard

Any good recent-ish turn based blobbers that are worth playing?

Other than Grimoire I mean.

Dead genre

I thought StarCrawlers was fun

I like Dungeon Crawling games but didn't enjoy Grimrock 1 desu, it just got boring.

This game is utter crap. Puzzles are stupid shit to include in such a stat-driven genre. It doesn't matter your party composition, your choices, your equipment, your levels, anything to solving puzzles. They're just a huge waste of time.
And yes I agree, "action" blobbers should stay burried. Turn-based is the way to go.

What about Might and Magic? Does its turn-based count? Because MM6 is the greatest RPG ever made

>every rune while you want to cast a spell
I actually really like that for a magic casting system

>game has good puzzles
>it's bad because they're not stat checks

Attached: 1373993689140.gif (256x192, 1.97M)

Same, but not in this combat system. If it was in a more magic focused system, where drawing out the spell would be part of the skill set, I wouldn't mind at all. But when you're made to click every weapon, and then all the runes in a spell, every few seconds to keep attacking, that gets old quick. It reminds me of a mobile gaming, where you just tap the screen constantly to fight. It's not interesting or challenging; it's just dull

But they are stat checks. They test your real-life mental stats.

d-delete this

How is Grimoire, anyway? After twenty years, you'd hope it's at least passable.

You leave grimrock alone, faggot. Those games are too pure to be sullied by your shitposting.

Attached: 1522974969383.gif (80x100, 10K)

It's neanderthalcore.

>tearing through that horde of mummies with everything you've got

oh BABY

Attached: 246246246.gif (350x350, 334K)

>me and my blobber friends

You don't set up the game so that all four of you have a working mouse and you each only use your own character?

Why are mummies such satisfying enemies to kill in large numbers?

Attached: 29408.png (148x125, 2K)

Don't forget to chain yourselves together in a 2x2 square configuration in a no homo manner.

Don't fucking diss Grimrock 1&2
They're both incredible, and you're a shit if you say the contrary.

the combat system would have been superior if it were turn based

You can't really compare the two, they're essentially very different.

Play Starcrawlers.

I did, it was pretty good but the enviromental exploration of LoG still blows it away