Is this game worth playing in 2019?

Is this game worth playing in 2019?

Attached: 220px-Half-Life_2_cover.jpg (220x313, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Xt2sbtvBuk8?t=764
youtube.com/watch?v=Xt2sbtvBuk8&t=849s
youtube.com/watch?v=Xt2sbtvBuk8&t=1005s
youtube.com/watch?v=Xt2sbtvBuk8&t=1162s
youtube.com/watch?v=qJTt_-n4Ncc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No.

Yes.

why?

Not at all.
If you haven't played the original, play that instead.

if you like their other games you'll like this one.

Nothing beats the experience of kicking combine ass in Nova Prospekt, such a good level

If it's on sale. It's definitively meant to show off Valve's shiny new engine but its still a good game.

>no ep3
Were they even close to releasing it?

Yes. Better than 99% of all games released. Amazing gameplay, level design, story.

Just because

Imagine believing this with seriousness.

Attached: normac.jpg (620x375, 123K)

Absolutely but don't expect the story to get finished ever

Only with SMOD.

I'd say yes. I remember the level design being pretty good.
It's gonna be less impressive now than it was in 2004, but I think it should still be a decent game.

a bit overrated but is really good

Don't expect too much. Its popularity is based on being a sequel to a better game and being bundled with Counter Strike Source. That's why every 16 year old had to buy it back then.

>is one of the most beloved and historically important games from mid 00s worth playing now?

Attached: hmm cake.jpg (236x314, 12K)

>historically important

Attached: 1530963149623.jpg (468x895, 46K)

Install MMod and play.

Yes, little zoom zoom.
There indeed was games before 2010, that are considered highly influential milestones in the media's history.

Attached: Pathetic.jpg (672x787, 261K)

Half Life 2's only milestone was being the first singleplayer game to force a online DRM client down our throats.
Other than that it was just Half Life again but with better graphics.

>Other than that it was just Half Life again but with better graphics.
And physics.
And gameplay.
And atmosphere.
And just about everything.

little zoomers clearly have forgotten of the 2004's big three, and how much they aided the growth of PC gaming.

It is still fun, as fun as other great shooters? Maybe not, but it still has good atmosphere, good level design, good music, some good and some bad weapons. Vehicle sections piss off people, but I think they are alright. It has some great levels like Ravenholm or Nova Prospect. If you never played it I would definitely suggest it, if you did then maybe there is no point unless you actually enjoy replaying games for story, atmosphere ect.

Using Havok for lame physics puzzles, ragdolls and rolling explosive barrels towards the enemy has all been done before.

Absolutely
Smod too

Before HL2?
Nah. At best we got heavily exaggerated box and ragdoll effects like in MP2, and that too was merely a year before HL2, and was not really used for gameplay purposes.

But please, try your best to belittle one of the most highly rated games of all time.

A man of esteemed taste.

Synergy
Sven

Yes, beat it recently, it's kinda bleh at first but it's great once you get past Ravenholm.

Synergy is such balls I don't know why people hold it in such high regard. It makes no modifications to the HL2's campaign to compensate for the player count, and it nary supports custom maps the way Obsidian Conflict does.

>stack boxes so you can climb up, wow, such amazing, much gameplay
>slow CoD-like paddling and shooting boring hitscan enemies, gay vehicle sections with gordon telepathically controlling the wheel because gabe was too fucking lazy to animate hands, breaking boxes with le epic crowbar to get items spawned in a psychologically manipulative way
>dude let's have some generic soviet satellite city with some big wires around and no music, amazing atmosphere lmao
>everything being shit like forced unskippable cutscenes where the characters spout exposition while the player jumps around like an autistic monkey, manipulative waifufag character tagging along, dipshit "sorry mr freeman" npcs, pretentious story told entirely through exposition (dude you can read what happened because there's a newspaper on a billboard, amazing narrative technique) and cringe opening credits like it's trying to be a movie, inconclusive story that was never finished because valve are dishonest fat faggots that would rather try to manipulate their cattle and milk all the money possible from them than make good games that aren't inferior ripoffs
hl2 was, and is, kusoge

It's not a bad game, but it's nothing spectacular either.

because headless chickens that jump on you is awesome.

Yes. If you haven't played it before, you've been living under a rock or have only been exposed to console trash your whole life. It's worth playing just to gain appreciation for video games as a whole, and make you better equipped to appreciate the art as a whole.

Attached: 1530544678256.jpg (540x431, 62K)

Video games are not art.

HL2's ragdolls and physics objects flying everywhere weren't any more realistic than in Max Payne or Far Cry. There was just a lot more of them in HL2.
Uru also used Havok physics for puzzles where you had to use stones to hold down switches or float boxes to get across a river, which was annoying then and annoying in Half Life 2.

Attached: (3).jpg (238x212, 6K)

Why are children so contrarian against HL2?

This is a really terrible post. I was gonna go to sleep but I'll lay the smackdown on you before I do.
>stack boxes so you can climb up, wow, such amazing, much gameplay
And throw sawblades at zombies to bisect them, throwing grenades back at Combine, etc. Much gameplay, indeed.
>slow CoD-like paddling
?
>and shooting boring hitscan enemies
It's more about the environments you in than the enemies themselves. Otherwise, metropolice and soldiers throw out enough gimmicks to never be boring.
>gay vehicle sections
That you don't enjoy exploring the outskirts of City 17, seeing the last 20 years of Combine occupation ravaging the Earth is on you.
>breaking boxes with le epic crowbar to get items spawned in a psychologically manipulative way
??????????????????????????
>dude let's have some generic soviet satellite city with some big wires around and no music, amazing atmosphere lmao
I, too, remember the oodles of FPS games that showed soviet satellite cities with such detail as Half-Life 2 prior to HL2's release.
>and no music
youtu.be/Xt2sbtvBuk8?t=764
youtube.com/watch?v=Xt2sbtvBuk8&t=849s
youtube.com/watch?v=Xt2sbtvBuk8&t=1005s
youtube.com/watch?v=Xt2sbtvBuk8&t=1162s
etc.
>amazing atmosphere
Yes.
youtube.com/watch?v=qJTt_-n4Ncc
>everything being shit like forced unskippable cutscenes where the characters spout exposition while the player jumps around like an autistic monkey
I have never understood this complaint. This is only applicable to second playthroughs, and you can start a second playthrough right from Route Kanal. The first playthrough, the player is going to be intrigued as to the happenings of the plot.
>manipulative waifufag character tagging along
Alyx? Manipulative?????
>dipshit "sorry mr freeman" npcs
Yeah.
> pretentious story
?????????????????????
>told entirely through exposition
??????????????????????
> and cringe opening credits like it's trying to be a movie
?????????????

>inconclusive story that was never finished because valve are dishonest fat faggots that would rather try to manipulate their cattle and milk all the money possible from them than make good games that aren't inferior ripoffs
Yes. Goodnight.

Half Life 2 fans ladies and gentlemen.

bad ai
boring weapons
boring enemies
boring levels
crippled movement
too many "immersive non-custscenes" that you can't skip without console commands
smod and mobility mod actually make it fun instead of a boring tech demo

half life 2 is probably older than most of Yea Forums, that's why they've clearly forgotten how good this masterpiece is.
>The opening sequence where the headcrab messes up Isaac's machine and you get teleported everywhere
>Escaping city 17 as the combine storm from house to house
>Exploring along the water-ways and beaches to find the last bastions of humanity
>Picking up that motha fuckin' can
>Kicking alien nazi ass
Pure Kino

On the first playthrough it’s pretty great even if HL1 is a tighter experience. The linearity and unskippable story make subsequent playthroughs a bit tideous though. If you crave more HL2 it’s best to play mods like Get a Life, Underhell, SMOD etc.

>bad ai
its good you sperg

combine have good tactics on paper but they're so slow compared to the player that it's meaningless because you can sprint right into them with a shotgun instagib.

There are some valid criticisms here and when I was younger I used to hate Half-Life, finding it boring and repetitive (walk forwards and kill the same enemy a thousand times) and giving you the feeling of a mouse being guided through a maze unconvincingly disguised a functional world. You had zero agency and Valve considered you stupid enough to pretend that you did thinking you wouldn't notice.

But eventually it grew on me and I began to enjoy the simplicity of the platforming and shooting. It's one of those games that you can easily get into a flow state in. It's especially good to listen to podcasts to.

I understand calling it overlong, repetitive and even manipulative (the NPCs all lavish praise on you for doing basic shit like pressing buttons and treat you like the saviour of the Earth even though you're always getting everyone killed). But once you look past the issues it's good, simple fun.

It was a pretty generic shooter with a boring story and is only praised because of its gimmicks, like the gravity gun,ragdolls etc.

I played it maybe 2 years after its release and it was really mediocre even at the time. I have no idea why people love it as much as they do.

Attached: 1480406988540.jpg (345x337, 30K)

Played it for the first time like a week ago. Has pretty good pacing, the story gets you from the get-go. Gameplay's like a different flavor of HL1's, so I don't mind it.

Then again, I'm used to playing old games, so whether that means it holds up or not, your call.

it's a 15 year old game. 19 year old zoomers expect more nowadays i guess. all i can say is it was an extremely exciting, extremely impressive, universally acclaimed and revolutionary game when it came out.

halo ce is older, it's better in every way but grafix and has much more content.

Nah, it's shit with loads of unskippable cutscenes, awful driving sequences that take up half the game, retard-level teeter-totter puzzles. Halo 2 is so much better.

>it's a 15 year old game. 19 year old zoomers expect more nowadays
That's incorrect considering the first game is better in pretty much every way to HL2.

It's good, but nothing special. Check it out if you like the original, but don't expect improvements in gameplay, just more pretty graphics and fluff.

>That's incorrect considering the first game is better in pretty much every way to HL2.
especially the AI. Holy shit the AI in HL2 is garbage.

Yes, and if you disagree you're gay.

Attached: Ok Kid.jpg (431x450, 39K)

This, I rate HL2 a solid 6/10

Didn't age well but it's still alright. Maybe get some mods that enhance the gunplay. The unskippable cutscenes, driving sections and gimmick levels won't bother you if it's your first time playing. It'll totally kill your motivation to ever replay it though.

And before some retard comes in with "games don't age" thing, lemme preempt his bitching.

Good game mechanics don't age, but certain things like physics or new types of narrative take years to process and decide whether they're good. It just so happens "non interractive in game cut scenes" ended up being a bad idea and not something that immerses people as we thought back them - it was just hype and experience of something new. As for physics, they're too prevalent in the game and don't mean much in the grand scheme - but it was a new toy back then like working on a new job for the first week is. It's just a chore in the end.
I harbor similar sentiment towards the gravity gun which is OP and completely breaks the game.

Fuck off back to r/fortnite

The in-game cutscenes are actually great for immersion, it’s just that the upside isn’t really worth it for the downside: ruining replayability. The first time you play through the in-game cutscenes get you emotionally invested in the story, but the second time, ou alread know what happens and just want to get back to shooting things.

Same thing with the physics puzzles. Incredibly fun to figure out the first time through (and makes you feel really smart) but just a chore to do again when you replay.

Also, the problem with the gravity gun wasn’t the gun itself but that they didn’t have good enemy types and good physics objects “ammo” until basically Episode Two with the introduction of the Hunter (still the most fun enemy to fight in the entire series, Episode Three’s Advisors were boring in comparison).

Basically, Half-Life 2 and its Three Episodes were beautiful one time experiences, but you can’t capture the same feeling on replays.

Play it yourself and form your own opinion. You post on Yea Forums, it's not like you have anything better to do

But I could be playing a better gaem

aged like shit desu. still a solid shooter though. i always preferred Far Cry though

yes

Trespasser, you homo. That's literally the game Valve devs referenced as an inspiration for the physics in HL2.

How can you know something is a better game if you haven't played babby's first PC FPS game? You gotta have something to compare against you know

This man sees through your bullshit Yea Forums

Yeah, it's alright.

>Literally
>no
>arguments
HL2 shitting zoomers, ladies and gents

Yes, but play the the 'update' mod version (it's on the steam store). Essentially the same but with a ton of little bug fixes and smoothing, some very subtle lighting and effects enhancements, etc. Then play Black Mesa, the Half-Life 1 remake, after it's finally completed with the release of the final chapters (should be sometime in the next few months).

No. Half the game is in fullbright because valve are retards.

it wasn't even worth playing in 2005

>gamma setting a impact gameplay

>finished Episode 2 yesterday
>the void kicked in
>12 years later, the Gravity Gun still feels absolutely fucking amazing to use

How have games still not surpassed that weapon?