"Don't you want to support the developers?"

Is this a legitimate criticism of piracy?

Aren't developers paid by the publishers once the game has been completed before it ever goes on sale?

Attached: 1544489823829.jpg (480x360, 11K)

It is legit but only in regards to indies.

Attached: 1557105104818.png (897x771, 669K)

If it doesn’t sell, then the developers will be soon ex-developers.

"support" is the favorite buzzword of sellout-encouraging slave-mentality paypigs

Pirating is perfectly fine and so is paying for games, it depends on if you are a person that is able to spend money on video games or not, there are games out there that simply are not accessible by a person that isn't employed and in a 1st world country such as total warhammer is its metric fuckton of dlc among other games like crusader kings.

Fair.

If you pirate from good developers yes. Just pirate from shit ones and you're fine.

How do I determine if a developer is good or not if I can't play their game without buying or pirating it first?

kys cuck

Indie games
Royalty payments but in many studios those may only go to specific companies
Funding of more games like that one in the future
Milestone bonuses for a certain number of companies

As a neet I pirate and dont feel bad for a second

You buy it afterward. If they wanted your money up front they should have had a demo.

Are you being serious? You can 90% of the time tell if a dev is scum or not. Otherwise just pirate and purchase later.

This. Devs don't release demos nowadays because they know their games are shit, hence why publishers are being more secretive and ambiguous about their games by the day. They don't want you to know what you're getting yourself into.

If you have the money and enjoy the game its perfectly fine to pay for it. If you don't have the money it's perfectly fine to pirate it. If you don't agree with the devs/publisher's dlc policy its perfectly fine to pirate. If they don't offer a demo its perfectly fine to pirate, try and play it later.

If you enjoy the game and want them to succeed then you can always buy the game. Waiting for a sale is as legit as buying it full price

>her

>only to indies
user....no

The only devs I've said "yes, I'm buying this within the first week to support these guys" were Grasshopper Manufacture for Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes and Inti-Creates for the Blaster Master Zero series

They might have got their money for the game by the time it releases, but don’t except for anyone to fund their next game if their game doesn’t sell enough. Unless it’s indie, you unfortunately can’t support the devs without giving money to the publisher.

I'm pretty sure he means devs with no publishers... how is he wrong?

>Pirateing a game because you have no other means of getting it
okay
>Pirateing a game to test it out
okay
>Pirateing a game out of spite
I mean okay but its weird
>Pirateing because your a cheepskate
no better than the jews you hate

Mind you i got no means to stop other people and i think piracy is inevitable, I just think that if you ALWAYS pirate yourr not giving anything back to an industry ghat you get enetertainment from, and thats just kinda mean.

Attached: Tigtoneandhelpy.jpg (847x362, 17K)

The industry is complete shit anyways, why would you want to support them? Every game made after 2007 has been 100% pure shit made for casual shit-eaters, so who gives a shit whether the SJW devs get money or not?

I only use my toaster PC for old games and emulators anyway so who gives a fuck

It’s not
People need to remember that video games is a (supposedly) competitive market. The number one thing a competitor should try and do is attract consumers to spend money on their product. They need to make decisions that benefit the consumer to make them want to buy it. If they don’t do that, then people won’t want to pay for their product. I will spend my money on what I think my money is worth, that’s how competition works, if i (or the market) doesn’t believe a game is worth paying for, the developers will suffer for it.
This is why people hate Epic and prefer Steam, Steam is a straight up better service for the consumer and Epic store literally has nothing over Steam besides EXCLUSIVE LICENSING. Steam outcompeted Epic, and their response was to monopolize the sale of games instead of actually making a product good enough for people to switch to. This bullshit is why piracy is on the rise for film and television and streaming services are losing money, because people don’t want to deal with 30 shitty services because exclusive licensing has spread what they want to watch across every little service out there.

But if they are so shit, why even pirate them? Just admit that you are a cheapskate, it’s better than going all ”WAAH THIS GAME IS PURE SHIT THAT I HATE, NOW I’M GONNA PIRATE AND PLAY IT INSTEAD OF BUYING IT”.

The only person I know who pirates games won't shut up about how he pirates games AND he's also the person who complains about games the most. It's hard for me to not just associate pirating with being a manchild.

your whole post is nothing but buzzwords

if video games had truely entered as stagnant a state as you presume the industry would be nowhere near as profitable as it is now and this board wouldn't exist.

If you really hate the games why haven’t you stopped playing them?

>modurn gaymes r SHITTY DOO DOO but me still play dem
Great logic, retard

> Modern games are shit
> I don't pay for games, I pirate them
> Why do developers keep making shit games that target casuals who keep paying for their games?
See a problem here? Basic capitalism, if you don't buy games you don't vote with your wallet. You don't count and no one gives a shit about you.
If you are third world poor and literally have to choose between games and food, I totally understand. If you literally cannot buy the game because they don't sell it, how else can you play it? Most pirates aren't like that, they are just cheap.

how do you somehow manage to be the biggest retard on Yea Forums

>falling for the "support the developers" meme when they can turn into sjws on a dime and put tranny flags into games you've already bought

Attached: 1556072317642.jpg (433x427, 86K)

The classic :"if he is bettrar we h8 him bcuz nolife,"

Are you really this dumb? Why do you think people make videogames user, because they're bored?

Look I don't care if you pirate, I have a seedbox- but don't be an idiot.

Attached: recettear.jpg (559x404, 69K)

Attached: 1509882628087.png (473x454, 6K)

pirating is not "perfectly fine", I dont judge people for doing it and I do it all the time but the people doing it are retarded if they pretend that its not morally wrong or extremely gray at best

software gets produced to meet demand and that demand repays the time and skill by paying for it, if everyone simply feels like taking it for free then ill let you figure out the rest

Is there anyway to tell how much a game has been pirated, or is there a good way to estimate it?

Observing the industry for the last decade, I'm certain they do it just to ruin the fond memories of my childhood and to make sure I've no hope left for humanity.

I think it's better to ask "do you want to support the producing company that makes billions a year and its shareholders who will fire the developers instantly if sales go under expectations".

Attached: 5432324.jpg (844x844, 117K)

Have you ever, even once, heard "hey, buy this movie, don't you want to support the filming crew"? Of course not because it's retarded. But audience for video games is just dumb enough to actually accept this as an argument.

Sometimes a dev gets paid up front 100%. Other times they get paid a cut of the sale. Either way buying their game supports them. Publishers don’t want to work with a dev team if the dev team produces a game that doesn’t get a lot of sales.

I have heard this before, but not just for the filming crew. People typically say to buy the movie or buy a ticket to support the whole movie. This includes the directors, actors, producers, IP holders, filming crew, and everybody else involved in the movie.

I have bought every pirated game that I liked once I had the money.

I pirate all western games aside from a small handful because I don't support most of the western industry.
And looking at the shitstorm with AHiT, I'm glad I priated their shit too.

It applies to smaller developers. AAA gets enough from casuals buying micro transactions.

>criticism
no, it's a legitimate question to ask though.
it's also a legitimate answer to say "no".

The reason they call you an "indie" developer is because you haven't yet achieved serious success. If you stop supporting devs just because they achieved success, you're explicitly discouraging the good people to keep making things, and you're discouraging future entrants into the marketplace. After all, if people stop buying my product the moment I get really good, what the fuck is the point?

This implies that devs become AAA once they get good.
That is not at all the case, at least in the west.

I don't want to support developers.