Are LucasArts-era puzzle/adventure games badly designed if you cannot figure them out without a walkthrough?

Are LucasArts-era puzzle/adventure games badly designed if you cannot figure them out without a walkthrough?

Attached: download.jpg (210x240, 7K)

No, gamers are simply brainlets

i think old games were designed with strategy guides in mind

>Game you can't lose
>Can't get through without help

Attached: 1555076731055.jpg (500x383, 130K)

I think your brain is just badly designed

People just got dumber. There are those who can't even finish uncharted without a guide

Impossible

I have never needed a guide or walkthrough to beat any sierra/lucasarts puzzle/adventure game. Are people really this mentally deficient? I'll only use them to make sure I got 100% and all endings, but never my first couple runs.

Attached: sq3_176-800x600.png (800x600, 18K)

I've replayed these kind of games years apart and I found that different puzzles had me stumped and others seemed obvious, like I would get stuck on puzzles in a replay I had easily solved my first time playing and vice versa. So with a few exceptions, I think most are intuitive enough or are easy if you pay attention to what the game world is telling you.

how did you know to stick your ball-collector/magnet contraption into a giant ball of yarn?

Not being able to progress is a failure state, you don't need a game over screen for that.

git gud brainlet

There's no way you can softlock those games, there's always a way to progress.

>I have never needed a guide or walkthrough to beat any sierra/lucasarts puzzle/adventure game.
Bullshit.

Fun fact: Sierra sold more hintguides for the Leisure Suit Larry series than the actual game.

I love LucasArts adventure games, but it's a fact that the "final bosses" are all badly designed. They add time limits or have the boss punch you from room to room to add some tension, but it has literally never been anyone's favorite part of a point and click game.

They were good games otherwise, but yes. People who disagree are just defending flaws because they feel like if they admit one it'll be saying the whole product was bad.
How did you figure out how to make a rubber chicken with a pulley in it exactly? And Sierra 'puzzles' aka: failure states obtained from making decisions you couldn't possibly know were the wrong ones, can be even more obtuse.

i needed to check for fullthrottle with the yard with a dog, graphically some stuff just doesn't stick out well and it's only after reading shit i noticed there was even a crane in the background.
as for Day of tentacles, i played that game a lot as a kid to the point it actually took me two days of casual play to finish it, somehow i had remembered almost everything to do.
currently trying to play through all Monkey islands but it's legit giving me headache.

it's not like they're sierra games

Attached: 1399919290751.jpg (1280x956, 181K)

I also got stuck on the crane recently. Pretty sure the Monkey Island remakes have a hint button btw

So which are the worst offenders for LucasArts/Sierra games? Whenever I play games by these companies, I never seem to pick the super hard ones. By LucasArts I've played Secret of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango - both of which are absolutely fine. I want to play Sam & Max and Full Throttle soon, are they annoying to play?

And by Sierra I played the Shivers games which pretty much had no game over, and Gabriel Knight which as far as I remember had nothing particularly bad though you could die

Is it pretty much Kings Quest that has all the notorious unwinnable playthroughs?

If you click the giant ball of yarn with just the hand icon it shows Sam trying to reach for the ring but failing.

Sometimes

Attached: idon'tdigit.gif (640x400, 102K)

Full Throttle is pretty easy, there's no combining and no push/pull/use/etc buttons. It's just use your hand, your foot, your mouth or eyes.

Not him, but I could tell I was stuck in the ball of yarn, so I tried grabbing everything.
If you try to use the space without the arm, it shows you a cutaway of the item you need (A set of keys, I think), but you are unable to reach. You try the grabber hand, and it doesn't work. You try the magnet it doesn't work. If you combine them both, then try it, it works.
Each failure has a different line to go with it, pointing you in the right direction.
However if the wall had ANY indication that there was an item in it, I wouldn't have been dragging my grubby fist all over the damn thing until I found it.

I think it's more about lack of patience.

Literally the only thing you need to know about full throttle is that the bikers in the dark use the center blips to see. Like, it's clever and shit, but fuck I never would have thought of it.

Sam + Max is fucking great.

>Is it pretty much Kings Quest that has all the notorious unwinnable playthroughs?

And Police Quest. These two franchises were the real FUCK YOU, GAMERS ones. Leisure Suit Larry, Space Quest and Gabriel Knight were all relatively okay but did occasionally have their bullshit. The Space Quest games dropped a lot of hints about this sort of crap being forced by the company because they wanted to sell hint books.

People that lie on the internet baffle me.

what about monkey island? only played it briefly out that shit was hard

For some reason the SImon games, despite definitely having bullshit solutions, always felt more fair somehow... other than the actual pixel hunt to find the stone for the password to get into the dwarf mines.

Attached: Simon-the-Sorcerer-3.jpg (1280x800, 492K)

I just watched a bunch of game-overs for one of the Police Quest games. Looks like an absolute abortion, so many penalties for small things like defending yourself in "the wrong way"

I have absolutely no desire to play that series at all now

Here's your (You). Savor it.

Nothing upsets me more than a point-and-click game where nothing makes sense.

Picture related. I remember just clicking everything and shit was happening, yet I had no idea why I was picking up certain items or why some items fit into one another. Just kept clicking and the solution was something I would have never even thought of. Surely this is bad design.

Attached: Runaway-cover.jpg (300x424, 30K)

I was grateful once adventure games dumped that oversized list of text options for like 2-3 ways to interact with anything.

I guess maybe I just played them a lot before I really had any memories of doing anything (I one of my very earliest memories is playing it and my grandad tricking me into drinking some of his larger) that I just had a degree of implicit knowledge into the weird and twisted way the designers logic worked.

I didn't have any problems beating Full Throttle when I was a kid and online guides weren't a thing yet. You just pick up everything that isn't bolted down and use every item on everything. Not that hard.

Let's not play games. We both know why you posted that image.

The mole dude in the love tunnel tells you that he lost his ring (btw the item is a ring not set of keys) while he was working on the ball of yarn..

>blocks your path

Attached: Inflated_f-scr.png (643x368, 152K)

What the FUCK were they THINKING? Also, you could permanently fuck yourself if you messed this part up.

What are you going on about, user, are you telling me this sequence of events doesn't make complete sense?

Attached: dcR9Y59.jpg (418x374, 26K)

What gaem?