Oculus quest

This thing is coming out kinda soon. Who else is cautiously optimistic about this? Im a console fag who doesn't want a shit psvr and doesn't have the space or pc for a desktop vr setup.
The quest being all self contained seems pretty great. $400 seems pretty affordable also. Just worried about the quality of the games since its only running off a mobie processor. But maybe thatll be fine? Discuss.
>Inb4 Oculus shill

Attached: 71nK JjLzzL._SX679_.jpg (679x339, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

roadtovr.com/vr-backpack-pc-at-a-glance/
roadtovr.com/oculus-cto-quest-will-feature-sideloading-process-oculus-go/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Oculus Shill

VR fanboys are basically PCMR fanboys, so standalones get minimal discussion here.
I'll be receiving mine on the release date.

Orbus VR is apparently getting a Quest release. I wouldn't push the device JUST for Orbus but it's a step in the right direction. I get a ton of hours out of Orbus now that I have a solid guild to play with.

it's not fine just being able to play mobile phone tier games, i am not even sure you can do anything besides using their specific apps/games from their store, i don't believe you'll be able to play Steam games like you could with the regular Oculus

I have only tried VR once and i liked it, but i want full games not tech demos, and the games i know that fit the bill wouldn't be able to be played on the Quest, like "DOOM 3 BFG VR" "San Andreas VR" the "Grimrock" games in VR, i even want to test NES games in 3dSenVR.

I would buy Skyrim/FO4 again to play it in VR, even if people have said it's kind of shit, but i don't think the Quest could handle even skyrim.

tl;dr I want to get into VR without paying lots of money for meme tech demos, same as you OP, but i don't think Quest is it

Attached: 1481707150254.gif (400x293, 775K)

Got it pre-ordered, my first vr it looks cool.

I do believe that you can only get stuff off the Oculus store. Which will be a handicapped version of the pc Oculus store. If this thing does sell well, then maybe devs will make Quest ports of their bigger games. But your right, no Skyrims. The compromises on the games can only be so much before the game is ruined. So the games have to be initially designed to not be graphically demanding.
But i could never imagine vr to replace the way i play games. So if i could get like 10 really solid "games" that i can fuck around with. Then that might make it worth it.
Either that or wait ANOTHER generation for the even more powerful quest equivalents to come out. But vr is so cool and I really want one..

What games are you planning on getting?

quest is fine if you don't own a pc and don't want to wait for psvr2.

the most successful vr games have been games with stylised visuals which centre around 1-2hr play sessions, and that stuff moves over nicely to the quest. in fact, the wireless part makes it arguably a better experience despite some loss in visual fidelity.

it should hold you over till sony pushes their new hardware out.

But we know absolutely nothing about psvr 2. Itll still be wired since it needs the ps4 to run the games. And the quests biggest selling point is that its wireless. The last thing i want is to have multiple vr headsets.

getting Grimrock to work in VR would be a solid experience, and i think we have seperate goals here, i tried the DOOM 3 BFG VR mod and that was what basically sold me on VR in the first place, friend had me try other lame shit like "Accounting" and "Job simulator" and i hated that stuff

but knowing that there is a VR mod for San Andreas is somethign that REALLY interest me, FZero GX with VR with Dolphin is also something i want, there is tons of stuff like that Witcher 3 in first person in VR, Duke Nukem 3D mod for Serious Sam 3 VR, etc.

I don't think there is an experience worth yet for getting a Quest, i need FULL games not tech demos.

Attached: 1477329534730.gif (500x374, 2M)

Vader immortal, beat saber, roborecall on day 1.

Oh and superhot.

wired headsets aren't going away for awhile.

low-latency video transmission over wireless is not cheap and can barely keep up with gen1 requirements. wired headsets will continue to push up resolutions, framerate (and eventually hdr panels as well) and the wireless tech won't be able to keep up.

unfortunately, mobile apus are not advancing at a rate where they will suddenly enable 5hr long play sessions of skyrim 2 electric boogaloo any time soon.

you'll either have to make a sacrifice or buy both.

psvr2 should be almost identical to the rift S in terms of specs and tracking imo. it'll likely be ps5 only and not be back compat with ps4 hardware.

beat saber, robo, and superhot are day one for me as well. rec room is one im pretty excited about. its free too. job simulator just because.

Vader Immortal is just telltale 2.0 but in VR, with very short episodes, roborecal and beat saber are short time wasters, pretty good but short, the job simulator games are really not fun, and rec room is good because it's free

Superhot is cool though, but what about actual big, fleshed out AAA games for the Quest? is there anything?

I had some interest in the Quest until I saw the games library it's launching with which looked atrocious, so I went with the Rift S. I have a reasonably good computer too so I figured I'd be better with something that could utilize my hardware.

PSV2 could end up being more appealing than both though, I have to admit. Especially if you're interested in playing games more than anything else.

i know... the tech just isn't at a point where it can deliver what the masses would want for acceptable vr.
price, quality and ease of use,

maybe if a vr set comes out with a separate wearable pack with all the hardware in it. but thatll still be kinda clunky.

damn these early days of vr.

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg (550x550, 25K)

>it'll likely be ps5 only and not be back compat with ps4 hardware.
It'll be backwards compatible with PS4VR games though, which is great.

>about actual big, fleshed out AAA games
i dont think so. the quality of pretty much every vr game ive ever seen has never been higher that AA. Aside from mods to existing AAA games. but vr exclusive AAA games are not much of a thing I think. especially not on quest. it cant handle that.

>Aside from mods to existing AAA games
and what are the status of those for the Quest? that is literally make or break purchase.

To give an idea of the performance difference, the quest will support VRChat but quest compatible avatars can only be 5k polygons (opposed to 70k on PC), have no dynamic bones, won't be able to have audio sources on them, etc. I think it'll be a step above phone in cardboard VR but definitely gimped.

>Oculus quest
Cringe no game.

>maybe if a vr set comes out with a separate wearable pack with all the hardware in it.
that stuff exists, but it is indeed clunky (and expensive):
roadtovr.com/vr-backpack-pc-at-a-glance/

hopefully. sony might have to do some work to translate the old tracking to new inside-out stuff. no idea how that works on the dev side, but you'd imagine sony would want to make it easy so devs can push out patches easily if needed.

Cerny already confirmed that it'll be backwards compatible. He also said the current PSVR headset will work with PS5, interestingly.

the quest uses the Oculus store exclusively. no steam. i don't think you'll be able get games not hosted on the Oculus store on the quest. even so. the quest runs off of a phone processor, so even if you got the witcher on the quest it wouldn't be able to run the game at all.

but who knows, maybe down the line, someone will figure out how to get games not hosted on the oculus store on the quest.

that's good. it's important they get it right; sony's probably the most important player in the vr space when it comes to mass market adoption.

roadtovr.com/oculus-cto-quest-will-feature-sideloading-process-oculus-go/

sideloading games is confirmed for the quest.

hmmm. im VERY curious how this will work. if i can get blade and sorcery on quest im buying one.

No, you can't retard.
It'd be like trying to sideload a PC game onto an Android phone. It's incompatible.

Even if you sideload, I imagine it will use something like .apk since it's a mobile chip. So unless B&S has an android version it's not gonna happen.

>need to register a developer account and organization

i uh.. all this just so i can play vidya

yea i didnt think so. what the fuck would i even sideload into the thing then?

You sideload things that people made but then didn't sell on the oculus store for whatever reason.
Like emulators, or Pirated games

pirated vidya, rape sims and anime fighters.

pirated android games? sorry, but im still unclear what types of games i can get running on this thing.

pirated oculus store games that are compatible with quest.

not the same user, but would the Oculus Quest be able to run San Andreas in VR, i am guessing so because all the videos i've seen have been from shitty 3rd worlders and russians running San Andreas VR on their cheap phone VR headsets

i guess that is one game worth sideloading if that's the case, maybe try and get Kingsfield going in VR would be nice too

>Oculus Quest be able to run San Andreas in VR
Yes.

It'd be able to handle PS2 ports with relative ease, desu.

But rockstar would have to port it, or some dedecated motherfucker would have to mod the android version.

Have it preordered from Best Buy, just hoping they actually get it here by launch day. Been waiting for this since it was just rumors of "Santa Cruz," can't wait to get my hands on it.

I bought an Oculus from Goodwill for like $30 and I say VR is pretty sick.

I really hope that VR becomes something special and picks up greater appeal some day. I have always enjoyed the adventurous aspect of video games and I think VR can escalate that aspect of them to a new height. Even when I first started playing games on the NES, and I was playing games like Castlevania, StarTropics, Lone Ranger, and Double Dragon, I was so fascinated by the sense of adventure from those games even then. Going through the different levels with different visual themes and encountering new kinds of challenges and the sense of progression throughout them was great.

There are a lot of fun VR games right now, but most of them don't have that sense of adventure yet, because most of them are very mini-game like, like lots of games before and during the early NES days were as well. But I get the feeling that will change soon, like within the next few years. You can already see how the overall quality of VR games has improved since a few years ago.

i dont think paying $400 for mobile tier games with the Quest is a good deal personally. does the Oculus Rift S even have impressive games to justify it though?

searching San Andreas VR brings up a bunch of videos, i can't understand a single word but there is something there. actually if that's the case then stuff like NEBULA: echo night or Shadow tower Abyss, or previosuly mentioned FZero GX could "potentially" work

if i could get any of those in good playable state in VR on the Quest i am good, seems like the only worthwhile thing to purchase it for, you could only do so many short sessions of Superhot and Beatsaber you know

Attached: 1492976511932.jpg (300x300, 24K)

>mobile tier games
have you played vr? its a bit of an understatement to stay that job simulator is mobile teir.

meme tier is a better description.

based and idiot pilled

Attached: 5434cfde9425ca96af04e2fe16d21eb4.jpg (235x223, 8K)

Job Simulator blows, it's a bad "game"

i dont understand your point, are you trying to say theres no major difference in the games between the mobile processor used for quest or using a real full power video card on pc?