Mechanical keyboards

Redpill me on mechanical keyboards

do they make a discernible effect on gaming?
..or are they marketing memes designed for you to spend more money?

I can see expensive mice making a huge difference in gaming, but keyboards? whats so bad about using a $10 membrane one

do you own one?
if so do you enjoy it enough to say it is worth the $ and maintenance?

(i dont own one so IDK)

Attached: 2-Mechanical-Switches-for-Gaming.jpg (1024x682, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/x_VRaHneWto
youtube.com/watch?v=dSADfzguy1Q
amazon.com/DREVO-Mechanical-Keyboard-Tenkeyless-Programming/dp/B07899YKRT
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I wouldn't pay a huge premium on one. I like mine for typing. I own a few.

Mostly just about feel. Someone who is used to one type won't see the need of the other and yes that goes both ways. It's entirely down to preference. Saying that however there are some advantages to mechanical keyboards such as better anti-ghosting but of course there are tradeoffs too in price and loudness.
"Gaming" keyboards however like most gaming peripherals are complete shit and not worth the price of shipping majority of the time.

I've got a Corsair Vengeance K70. They don't make a difference at all. They feel quite nice and they make a satisfying clanking sound with every key press but they're not all that worth it.

The only thing I would say makes it better than a $10 membrane one is that a lot of mechanical keyboards have anti-ghosting which means you can press a shit ton of different keys at the same time and it will still register every one of them.

Worth the money - no
Worth the maintenance - It's no more maintenance than a $10 membrane keyboard

I like them because they're heavy as fuck so they don't flail around during heated gaming moments.

They don't make a huge difference for gaming as far as I can tell, they are just more pleasant to use in general and especially for typing. Mine was like 80 bucks without any LEDs behind every key and if by maintenence you mean cleaning your keyboard every once in a while (as you should even with a membrane one), then it's a pretty good buy.

They feel better and last longer. That's about it.
Don't buy blues if you have roommates or thin walls.

well mechanical keyboards are much more expensive so one would be compelled to actually clean them (pulling out the keys, wiping or even washing them etc)

i just throw out my membrane keyboard and buy new ones when they get too grimy or too many food crumbs/dirt inside--its only $10 so I cant be bothered

i would probably be too lazy for a mechanical keyboard i think..

They will last a long time, you can get tenkeyless models easily, and if you are a gay fag you can get them in flashing pink lights.

No gaming difference but they're easier to clean and feels better to use.

I own a $60 chink one and its great.

what if im a straight fag

I've had a mechanical with Cherry Browns (think midway, between Red linears and Blue typing) for a few years, and they're satisfying as hell. Takes me a few minutes to get used to using rubber dome keyboards if I'm away from my computer.
They also don't cost anything to maintain, unless something's gone horribly wrong. Every few months or so, pull the caps off, empty and dust out the board, maybe clean and dry the caps if you think you need to, and slap them back on. Done.

membrane keyboards are just shitty feeling and mushy

Honestly, makes no difference for gaymin. I don't really feel what I'm pressing when I'm playing. But for typing though it does feel nice. Especially better than no travel cardboard tier laptop keyboards.

There was only one thing where a mech keyboard fucked me over though. I switched from membrane when I started kzing and it messed up my strafes.

For your questions: There's no maintenance and I'm no poorfag so the pricings really didn't matter.

> do they make a discernible effect on gaming?
No

>I can see expensive mice making a huge difference in gaming, but keyboards? whats so bad about using a $10 membrane one

The main difference is feel. They keys just feel a heck of a lot better to press than the squishy membrane keys.

A $10 keyboard on the other hand is bad for gaming. Cheap keyboards can only handle about 3 keys pressed at the same time. Then they start dropping inputs. Good enough for typing, but with games you might be pushing D-F to backpedal and strafe, while pressing jump, while trying to reload. It isn't super common, but you will run into instances of dropped key presses.

I would say you need at least 5-key rollover. When you are talking about keyboards like that you are already getting into gaming keyboards and paying $30-50.

>if so do you enjoy it enough to say it is worth the $ and maintenance?

I have a corsair K70 I got on sale for about $80 and feel it was worth the money. There is basically zero maintenance. It is a good product. I'll probably only have to replace it when I want a new one.

It has LED back lighting which lets you turn the lights down and game a bit if you feel like it. It is built very sturdy and a bit heavier than your average keyboard so it stays put. They keys feel good to use. The media player keys and ability to use pretty much any key as a macro is also nice (that is more of a corsair thing than a mechanical keyboard thing.) Being able to customize keycaps easily can also be kind of nice. Textured WASD keys aren't bad.

The big reason I went mechanical is that membrane gaming keyboards were overpriced. So for a bit more I could get a better built product.

It's a luxury purchase. You dont need one to do well but it feels good to use. Just like a fightstick.

Lasting a long time means nothing. We're talking about keyboards here, and even a $20 basic microsoft keyboard could last 20 years if you're not a complete retard.

I like them for typing, cherry blue mx is god tier, for actually playing games I don't think I would buy one.

You've clearly never purchased a Razer product. Good for you, seriously. Their shit can die on you in less than a year.

All you need is NKRO

If you don't know what that is it really does not matter what keyboard you use.
>maintenance
fuck off retard

if even just for being more durable than membranes, they're worth it

then you have the fact that there are different switches to fit your preference, and they just make sense

literally just try one, what's so hard?

they feel way better on your fingers to type and are much faster than a mechanical, but don't take my word for granted.

it is definetly worth it if you spend a lot of time on your computer arguing on internet forums

I enjoy them for pc gaming at desk but for couch gaming I use a wireless silent keyboard. They mainly remind me of the old days and I have a cool one that has lit up keys. If you don’t like noisy keyboards it isn’t for you

they just feel/sound nicer
i doubt theyre really higher performance for gaming

They're a meme.
I use pic related and still rek every razer RGB mechanical nigger faggot.
Cost me 11 bucks.

Attached: Genesis_R11_1000x700px_3of3.png (1000x700, 556K)

aren't blues the silent ones? red are the loud ones

you're dumb
a membrane keyboard will literally break down under heavy use even just over a few years

the rubber can't keep up, and will become very brittle and loud and eventually fail completely

t. osu player who has gone through two keyboards in a relatively short time when the zx and then as keys just kept breaking down and ruined the board

blues are the loud and nice feeling ones

honestly reds are silent but feel very shit for typing, they are not tactile at all and it sucks

>blues
>silent
youtu.be/x_VRaHneWto

blues are fucking sick, got them a couple years back and never looked back
i do get noise complaints though

I just bought my first for $125ish a month ago and really enjoy it.

Typing is super satisfying now.

>do they make a discernible effect on gaming?
No.
>..or are they marketing memes designed for you to spend more money?
They're for typing.
>whats so bad about using a $10 membrane one
Nothing, unless you type a lot.
>do you own one?
Yes.
Yes. Because I type a lot.

It can help slightly in certain ways, but is pretty insignificant. If you care about low input lag, I'd recommend getting an Ifra-red/optical keyboard, if not then a keyboard with hot-swappable switches like the Glorious GMMK in the size you prefer would be a smart choice.

I like mine

Attached: 20190108_085627.jpg (4032x1960, 3M)

n key rollover is a must have for many games

Why haven't you bought a GMMK Compact yet?
>Hot swap switches
>Detachable cable
>Solid metal construction
>Superior 60% layout

Attached: compact_iso_1.jpg (2048x1368, 303K)

No. I play HLDM (AGMod). The only difference is if you're switching from notebook\flat keyboard, press time is longer and you need to get used to it.

Mostly are, there are no advantages what so ever. Keyboard layout, size and quality is what matters. Many mechs are just as shitty as membranes quality-wise and will get you chattering issues in less than a year, official cherry mx too.

>compact
ok tranny

anything below tenkeyless is tryhard nigger tier
but everything else on that is based as fuck

I got cherry mx blues and i love it. My keyboard sounds like a fucking chainsaw when i type. It really pisses off my wife and makes her go to another room to watch her shitty lakorn movies so thats also a bonus.

Arrow Keys are the only arguably positive thing about TKL over 60%, every other "extra" button is waste of space.

buy a logitech k120 and forget mechanical meme trash.

I use a mechanical as it helps alot with my tinitus

>printscreen is a waste
other than that I agree but that button + the arrow keys is enough to warrant the extra length.

back to mkg with you

Go with browns anons.
>still good tactile feel
>louder than reds but quieter than blues by far
Best of both worlds.

I was looking for a "good enough" knockoff cherry switch keyboard anywhere between $30-50.

Any Yea Forumsirgins help a fellow NEET pick the least chincy chinesium mehcanical keyboard?

>FN + P
Oh wow that was hard, you don't use printscreen often enough for a dedicated button.

orange buttons for wsad and arrow kids are as gay as rgbt keyboards

Just get a GMMK, cringy name aside the boards are good.

literally nothing wrong with cheap chink boards
or do like this user says

Attached: file.png (1080x810, 1.03M)

I got a a drevo blademaster.

Fucking love it, cant believe I was using pleb regular keyboards.

>maintenance

bro, wipin off the cheetos and cum stains off your keyboard isn't that difficult

Attached: grug.png (485x443, 18K)

what's a ubiquitous chinzty chink board under $50, I'm not fucking with custom order

Imagine not being to press more than 3 keys at the time

Attached: Ep1dog.png (1600x893, 939K)

I bought a 2nd hand steelseries 7g almost 3 years ago
no issues with it, I even spilled soda on it once

Attached: 1557147448162.jpg (640x647, 37K)

I don't really like them. keypresses register about halfway through a press rather than at the bottom like a "normal" keyboard. It's pretty disorienting and hard to sync keypresses in movement/skill based games. And I don't care for the way they feel to type on. I could probably forgive all that if they weren't so damn fucking heavy. I swear the one I had was full cast-iron or some shit and I didn't like lugging around a 15 pound keyboard

Mech keyboards are a luxury. not necessary at all. But with RBG lightning and good appearance they can look really good.

Any really, beware the snobs who will tell your cherry or nothing. Go for whatever you think looks best in that price range. Just be careful if its not mech-dome/memchanical which are common in that price range.

Kailhs and Gaterons are better than Cherry these days, so any will do really. Pay attention to the base materials and stabilizer quality though, those can make great switches feel like a plastic toy.

No, it's just a meme.

I own two mechanicals- one with cherry blues (which I rarely use anymore), and the one I'm currently typing with that uses gateron silent reds with o rings. These are the closest to silent I've found so far and are incredibly smooth to type on. It took a few days to get used to the actuation since there's no sensation of feedback (I'd sometimes hold down the spacebar while resting my thumb by accident), but my input speed is way higher now. I play rhythm games and fighting games on KB so it makes enough of a difference to me, but if you're just playing FPS or shitposting on Yea Forums it's not a big deal.

drevo tyrfing V2

youtube.com/watch?v=dSADfzguy1Q
amazon.com/DREVO-Mechanical-Keyboard-Tenkeyless-Programming/dp/B07899YKRT

this is a cheap chink board I can recommend, get the blue switches for clickity clack, RGB can be turned off before some autist complains

It is objectively impossible to have opinions this poor.

Attached: 1467692889500.jpg (531x620, 103K)

>Just like a fightstick.
t. doesn't play fighting games

then you can customise the lights to -the coolours of your favorite sportsball team or car manufacturer

This, Brown is the best

Attached: 1556204426637.jpg (523x565, 131K)

couldn't give less of a fuck about snobs, I'm on a budget
reommend specific brands/models, who makes the switches matter little to me

>TFW want a pok3r but I live in the UK so I need to pay a £20 premium just for an ISO layout and can't get the non RGB in ISO

>louder than reds

why would you do this? I got a K70 with reds and theyre already loud enough that my room mates complain if i play any games after midnight.

Neither expensive mice nor expensive keyboards make you better at games. I bought a mechanical because it feels better to type on and the switches have lasted ten years with no sign of deteriorating. At this rate I'll wear through the plastic keycaps first.

I actually do but 60% is still the one true keyboard

Magicforce keyboards are actually really nice for the price point, and you can find them with tons of different switch combinations. I'm using one with gateron reds, and it only cost me $50. Mine looks kinda like this, but came with much better keycaps that don't blocky and gamery. Since they're common for the price range a lot of places do mods for different keycaps and boards if that's what you're into too, great as a first mechanical. Just pick your favourite keyswitches.

Attached: 6hdfi8fsuog11.jpg (4032x3024, 776K)

Beyond being able to press more keys simultaneously (which I believe higher end membrane keyboards may be able to do as well) there is little to no difference in terms of gaming.
Personally I find it difficult to type on membrane keyboards after owning a mechanical one, for general usage they are much more pleasant. I type a fair bit and I thought the investment was well worth it.
Maintenance is easy, I just pop the keycaps off to get the dirt out from beneath them and give them a quick wipe off with a wet cloth. You can get way more autistic than that if you want but I've had this board for years with no problems at all.
If you're going to buy one go read through all the stuff in the /g/ thread op and either go into a store to try a few different key types out or order a switch tester online so you can know what they actually feel like.
Also don't buy a "gamer" keyboard unless you have an immediate need for programmable hotkeys because other than that one feature every single one is just a regular keyboard that's overpriced.

I wasn't saying it was a positive, just that it was tempered by the fact that it gives you near-blue levels of tactile feeling while making far less noise. It's just still more noise than reds.
>theyre already loud enough that my room mates complain if i play any games after midnight
That's the point. Even reds are loud, you might as well kick that up about 30% and go with the better-feeling browns.

>red
>loud
Wtf, are you sure it's red? Red is quiet is fuck.
Or maybe you hitting too hard, go black then

He probably bottoms out his switches

Have had two cherry blue kbs
Logitech G710+, half the keys didn't click right, took it back the next day
Corsair K70 Lux red LEDs, Within in 3 months started sending doubled presses, within 9 months I could barely get a password typed.

Currently using a dell kb (pic related)

Gonna get a chinesium mech with outemus or gaterons as soon as I find one with a volume wheel and usb ports

Attached: 515MZB--HOL.jpg (500x285, 40K)

Bought a das cherry blue and it has lasted me for 6 years now.
That's pretty much the bigger factor in mechanical keyboards, they last a very long time.

It's a meme.
Any 20$ keyboard will do.
A good mouse is where it's at.

If your reds are loud it's probably the keyboard itself, you'll be hearing the keycaps make contact with the board. Cherry reds are louder than gateron reds though, and tend to feel grindier/dirtier instead of silky smooth. It doesn't factor into the noise but you'll feel a little more resistance when typing.

>Buying "gamer" peripherals
It has been shown time and time again that these keyboards are fucking garbage but retards still buy them
At least Logitech make the G502 but that's literally the only good thing they make

Aw that's a shame, i've been using K70 for almost 3 years now.
Still top shape

Attached: Analog Keyboard.webm (640x360, 2.87M)

>and last longer
I never had a keyboard die on me, exclusively using cheap keyboards.
Then again I'm not a low IQ ape bashing my keyboard and breaking controllers.

Must be, he should go with black if that's the case, it's red but harder to bottom

>20 dollars gamer mouse breaks down
>get 7 dollars chink wireless mouse I saw at some grocery store because it was urgent for the moment
>increase the sensitivity in Windows options to compensate for dogshit dpi
>battery lasts me 3 months plus

I still have that shit mouse I got 2 years ago and I'm not changing it it even when swimming in money, I really got lucky

If you don't have the Steelseries 6gv2 keyboard then you are missing out.

I figured a cherrymx blue is a cherrymx blue, but apparently cherry makes shit.

I didn't buy my mechanical keyboard for gayming, but for typing and work they're pretty much worth it. Can't live without some nice blue switches now.
Fightsticks are only a necessity if you've been playing on arcades your whole life or intend to play oldfag shit on Fightcade or something. Modern fighters are more often than not designed around pad. Hitbox is better anyway.

Don't buy anything cherry other than their switches

I will switch to Filco after my k70 die.
It zapped me so many times that i feel like i'm immune to lightning now

Fightstick is more than just comfort for a lot of games
Plinking, drumming etc. in SF
Old KoF motions

Their switches were the problem. Loved the K70 outside of that.

Is the Vortex race 3/Tab 75 worth it?
The programmable shit feels kinda gimmicky.

68 is the perfect sweetspot, arrow keys are too useful to skip on

Attached: 68.jpg (1500x1033, 147K)

Easier to clean, and feels nice to type on. It is legit only "feel", its not "better" in any way, it just feels nice.

cheapo shit I can easily find near me are all using Outemu Blue switches, those have a particular reputation one way or another?

TKL is the best, anything below that and you will have a hard time playing some games like MMOs

>tenkeyless
why would you do this

Outemu blues are literally alright, chinks learned their shit and now the cherry clones are on par or even better

Only if you're the toppest of tier.
>or are they marketing memes designed for you to spend more money?
Mostly, get a normal mechanical keyboard(not meme LRGBT LED gamer branded shit) for the sake of durability.

Name on use for arrow keys
>Playing MMOs

amazon.com/Corsair-Mechanical-Keyboard-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B078CQW45C

50 dollar refurbish one. here you go m8, works well. I use this for my job

S-Shut up!

That seems like quite a bit of strain on the finger to accurately do that but then again i've never used one.

>Name on use for arrow keys
PIP management in Elite Dangerous :^)

>or intend to play oldfag shit on Fightcade or something

>Name on use for arrow keys
old flash games for your penis.

arrow keys are useful for pretty much everything other than games. Programming without them would be needlessly slower and lots of windows shortcuts use them. It's true that a lot of things could be done with the mouse instead but mouse UI navigation is almost always slower than using keyboard shortcuts, and the whole point of a decent keyboard is to increase productivity.

Same, in fact I messed a $200 mechanical keyboard by getting fine tobacco dust into it by rolling spliffs at my desk. It's only worth paying more if you happen to play a lot of games that require key combos that a cheap board can't handle.

Their G600 mouse is pretty solid.

>rolling spliffs at my desk
Fucking degenerate

for me its topre

Attached: HHKB Pro 2 x Zowie.jpg (3264x2448, 671K)

Based

>zowie mice and benq monitors

eugh

If only HHKB weren't fucking £500 each

I don't know about these tranny keyboards.

>zowie fk1 has lasted me 4 years so far
Feels good

I don't mind using a keyboard without a numpad, I never use it anyways

Attached: Original-MOTOSPEED-Inflictor-CK104-NKRO-RGB-Backlit-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Outemu-Blue-Switch-Re (640x640, 98K)

>Fucking degenerate
You must be one of those incel autist kids

You're not gay if there's no eye contact.

Calling an addict degenerate make me a incel now? LMAO

I don't understand all the love for TKL. If you type a lot you'll need the numpad for easy access to foreign characters. If you play a lot of games you'll need it for various inputs (space sims, flight sims, and management games are all notorious for using the numpad). The only reason I can see for using TKL is if you only speak English and only play new AAA releases.

As long as you can type at least 110+ WPM the keyboard you use doesn't matter. Mechanical "gaming" keyboards is just pure marketing. They don't enhance your performance in games, only you can enhance yourself by mastering touch typing.

Attached: myquicktest.jpg (404x503, 29K)

>Smoking spliffs
Why ruin weed by mixing it with tobacco?

low IQ nigger

I play a lot of games and i only use it for typing my passwords

Unless you explicitly know you have trouble with your current keyboard because it doesn't register more than a certain number of keys, don't do it

>user smoked joints one time while gaming
>addict
>LMAO
You're a cringey fucker aren't you.

I only speak english, but I only use a numpad for programming and playing roguelikes. I have a separate USB numpad by the same manufacturer as my main keyboard, and only plug it in when needed to save desk space. I throw it in the USB port on the side of my keyboard so it's an easy solution that saves space and makes my desk neater.

It wasn't weed user, this was skint at university block hash

>Wasting money on brick weed
even worse

Build one yourself

Attached: 20190427_012655.jpg (2631x2268, 3.23M)

>one time
Yeah right, keep coping fucking degenerate addict lmao

doesn't really matter for playing games, but if you're in school, then they're fantastic because I can type more quickly and more accurately because of the nice balance between the give and push of the keys. the weight is nice too, so the board doesn't slide and cleaning them is practical since you can remove the keys.

cringe

based

Nah brick weed is worse than hash. Not in the US and don't think brick weed has ever been a thing here.

rocky hash is full of dirty middle easterner poo though.

Thanks my dude, that looks pretty good!

I use the numpad for spread sheets.

I had a stats class years ago online and didn't have numpad on my keyboard, shit took me 3x as long as it should

>lmao
Damn you really are a /pol/ incel and I've struck a nerve, i'm sorry buddy, it'll happen one day.

I'm in the UK, half our food is probably full of dirty middle eastern poo

Weed in the UK has never been worth smoking anyways. It's all complete shit, it's only gotten anywhere near decent in the last few years

Gaming mouse where the Omron microswitches fail in a couple years as intended.

Has anyone used a Kinesis or Maltron? I'm more concerned about the ergonomics and preventing RSI and not into having glowy RGB shit on a keyboard, I've heard Kinesis can have a bit of input lag though

>doesn't really matter for playing games,
Try playing a game like DMC or MGR seriously on PC and there's no way you'll get all of them S ranks without a good keyboard. You literally have to make so many inputs a keyboard without high rollover will hinder you.

>Playing those on keyboard

those keycaps on the right are cute, got a link?

>do they make a discernible effect on gaming
Not in the slightest. Some switches are actually less comfortable to use for gaming.
No, those are good at what they are.
>I can see expensive mice making a huge difference in gaming, but keyboards? whats so bad about using a $10 membrane one
Nothing bad. It' just quite more comfortable to use mechanical one.
>do you own one?
Yes.
Sure. It's much more comfortable to type with one. It's good for coding, using console, typing papers or even shitposting.

Why wouldn't you? Why do you want less control over your games?

>maintenance
Next to none needed unless you spill drinks on it. It's usually pretty hard to clean it after that reguardless of the keyboard.
Other than that, choose a "skeleton" one so you could just blow the dust from between the keys without disassembling.

www.faggotgamersupplies.com

not him but those games would probably be best suited to a controller..and they are made with that in mind

its like how nobody plays dark souls with a KB...i dont think

It's called DSA Peeking Cat, I got them off playkeyboard but that was a few months back and it was a limited group buy run, so they may be out. But still check.

>Why do you want less control over your games?
I don't and that's why I play on controller

Those were designed with controller in mind. It's a little better to control the character and the game, but it takes some time to configure all the things comfortably and get used to them.
It's just that it does not worth it most of the time - with a controller a default control scheme is fine to use right out of the box.

CLICKITY CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK

Mechanical keyboards are about n key rollover which is very useful for games requiring multiple keys to be used simultaneously like an MMO. That's it. The other difference is various types of keys ex. Linear (like non-mechanical keyboard), and varying degrees of tactile feedback, everything other than red keys are a meme because they add delay to the keys - sure it's a matter of milliseconds but nonetheless- not to mention the autistic clicking sound that faggots use because they apparently enjoy pretending to play on a fucking typewriter.

>nobody plays dark souls with a KB
It's much better to play one with KB+M, actually:
You can freely control camera all the time comfortably. Never used a target lock that way.

Thanks user, I appreciate it.

You are so wrong you make me sad.

Shit bait

Whatever, user. You may stay delusional all you want.
There are some games that allow for a better control with a controller - and I mean default controller, not like some set of pedals and a wheel for racing games - but for about 80% KB+M is much better.

> but for about 80% KB+M is much better.
Yeah it's not like we were specifically talking about 2 games in particular or anything
But way to completely move the goalposts to another continent my man

MGR is better with KB+M.
DMC is pretty much the same: a lot of stuff absolutely requires using target-lock.

they are a gimmick and all your friends will hate you for filling the mic with CLACKCLACKCLAKCLACKCLACKITY CLACK

bonus points if you use a desktop mic and it picks up the thumps from your fat gorilla hands too

>no wrist rest

Attached: part.png (1920x1080, 2.07M)

Get a NKRO keyboard, OP. That's all you need be it membrane or mechanical as long as it's NKRO and you don't get MX black like a retard you should be fine.

The n-key rollover on mechanical keyboards are a godsend for high APM on MMOs/RTS, as well as combos for fighting games.

As far as keyboards go, the Logitech K840 is a good one for about $40-50. At least it's the best one for that price that doesn't come with riced out gaymer shit by default. The keyswitches are proprietary Logitech ones that are basically a hybrid between MX Reds and MX Browns.