Are there any games which portray GOOD necromancers?

Are there any games which portray GOOD necromancers?

I'm so tired of the unfair dishonest trope of necromancers being "evil".

Attached: 1557565426185.jpg (700x906, 419K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BovqxamfL2Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Black Desert online.

why do /tg/ cucks make these garbage rp threads about fantasy archetypes?

>defiles the dead
>"I'm a good guy"

Attached: 1536435478057.jpg (286x327, 17K)

They are just random piles of bones though?

Its still defiling the dead. You cannot go to a graveyard and dig up a bunch of bones or take bones from a corpse you find somewhere and use them for your own purpose.

Why not?

I love Chara!

Attached: Chara.1986531.full.jpg (1280x912, 815K)

Is she one?

For legal reasons, which are only loosely connected to morality.
Maybe the dead had debts, or consent to reanimation.

Diablo does it pretty well. the priests of Rathma are described as being closer to druids in that they believe in the cycle of life being a balance between life and death, and you cannot have one without the other. In fact, as far as mages in Diablo's universe goes, they're one of the few if only orders to never suffer internal corruption that fucks most factions in that world.

Let me try and explain to this in a way you understand.
Dead person, no able to defend self.
Dead person no want to be enslaved if were alive.
Dead person buried for reason, respect for dead.

Necromancer no respect for dead
waste all time spent on burial and such
ruin good sleep of dead
general asshole who waste magic on corpses when golems are more cost effective
probably closet necrophiliac

But they aren't people they are just a pile of bones.

Necromancer gives them life.

take hte dead pill

Attached: HeroSandroIII.png (174x192, 28K)

No but you could go read Sabriel, it's old but was the shit when I was a kid

Attached: Sorceress.png (2000x2215, 2.52M)

Look no further OP. She raises people from the dead to have a big party with everyone. She even makes friends with the paladin who wants to kill

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 14K)

Sorceress from Dragon's Crown is generally portrayed as neutral or good, same as any other protag in the game, and she performs necromancy. It's even very specifically necromancy of humans. In dungeons you can find bone piles that can be taken and returned to the hub area for them to be revived into NPC allies for later dungeons. Sorceress gets a spell unique to her that can turn those bone piles into skeleton servants instead if you want.

In what way does messing with dead bodies make you a bad person? A weirdo, sure.

I suppose it's disrespectful to living relatives if done with human bodies, but in a world of adventurers and monsters I think that stigma would be much less.

Also what about if a necromancer exclusively used their magic on animals that died in the wild? Then what's the problem?

Attached: 1437875235581.jpg (680x1027, 173K)

what is dead may never die

Necromancer NO give life, just make bones move.
Golem much stronger than bones.

Shut up bone boner

>waste magic on corpses when golems are more cost effective
infuse some bones with magic vs creating the vessel from ground up. Also golems usually are "alive" to the point the can act independently, whereas skellies only obey

Ugh, I guess I need to figure out how to emulate that.

>Dead person no want to be enslaved if were alive.
A dead body is not the person they were in life. It's just a shell. The soul is gone.

if they didn't want their corpse to be used then maybe they shouldn't of died.

PhoenixDown.jpg

>but in a world of adventurers and monsters I think that stigma would be much less
Depending on the details of the setting, it could make it MORE of a stigma. Does the soul remain trapped within the remains unless properly disposed of? If you reanimate the corpse, are you shackling the remnants of the spirit to power it against it's will? There's a lot of considerations that are setting dependent there.
Given the Sorceress from Dragon's Crown posting here, that gives a good example. All the bones you find still have spirit enough to leave behind a final message to you, be revived if you really want to spend coin on them meaning their spirit still lingers, and offering to let the church put them to proper rest is seen as good and rewarded.

>My characters have to be good or evil!

Yes but that doesn't make it morally justifiable to desecrate their corpse and pump it full of magic to make it move around.

Not a single person is going to look at you doing that and see "Oh, how effective, finally those dead people are getting some use!" they are immediately going to think "What the fuck"
And that is why necromancers will forever be considered evil

Dude can barely speak english don’t even waste your time convincing him.
Probably some gook defending chinese honor of the dead or some shit.
Raising the dead is mostly a cost effective thing and you can make bone golems. You don’t have to waste time and effort when raising the dead because it’s always the same shit. Usually costs less “mana” and can make a shit ton of them.
Dude necromancy isn’t real this is a fictional thing we are talking about.
What if you raise the dead to save lives hm? What if you raised some dead people in a village to save the same village? That isn’t morally wrong you dingus.

But I legitimately don't get what is wrong with just animating a pile of lifeless bones.
They are functionally just sticks.

Attached: raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa ca443f4786.jpg (360x360, 67K)

>necromancy isnt real

um..

Begone Pally keep diddling your altar boys

If they're functionally just sticks why not use sticks instead and save yourself the trouble of being looked at like a weirdo

>animate trees and dirt that can’t also consent to being animated is good
>animating bones is straight up evil
Lawful good, not even once.

Name 5 negromancers irl

I'd rather be diddling altar boys than corpses you bonefucker

>Yeah lemme go down to the corner and hit up my skelly and zomb bros just hanging out in real life.
Fucking idiot.
Negromancy is real necromancy isn’t.

diablo 2

>"Dude necromancy isn't real"
>He doesn't know

Attached: chadandvirgin.jpg (600x532, 46K)

me

All arguements from you are null and void bugman.

HoMM 5 TOTE necro campaign. You're basically trying to stop the demon invasion as necromancers in ubi's Ashan are more like protectors of balance etc etc.

He also shows up in Dark Messiah or rather he shows up there first but his character and abilities are a let down compared to in Heroes 5

Attached: High Lord Arantir.jpg (346x463, 139K)

Welp burden of proof is on you mate.

Oh boy time for me to post this again.
Sorc best girl.

Attached: every death was once a life.jpg (520x10000, 1.61M)

what if the necromancer is using the corpses of people they killed in self defense?

Pic related.

Attached: 1383671309076.jpg (1388x2920, 818K)

>necromancer kills murderers and rapists and the like and only uses evil people for his spells
>moralfags will still smite this

I think everyone already knows necromancy isn't real, however, for the sake of conversation, we're pretending it is in this thread. It makes for a much more fun conversation than "Eh its just a game who cares lol"

The cutest necromancer you'll ever see.
youtube.com/watch?v=BovqxamfL2Y

Ignore this user, he missed the most obvious one.
How the fuck would you feel if grandma passed away, you had a funeral, bought a coffin, put her in the ground, and then the next day, some pale faggot comes along and digs her barely-cold corpse up. Later that same day, you spot your lifeless grandmother's rotting body being used to load goods onto a cart.

Yes, it's just a shell, ect, ect, religious crap aside as well. But people are pretty uncomfortable with the idea of their loved ones shells becoming the pets of magic goths. There's a lot of sentimental value there.

Why would I care? It's not my grandmother.

What if it's just a skeleton though, no flesh on the bones. You wouldn't even know it's your grandma.

Grim Dawn
Necros just want to chill and do researches, not to fight crazy cultists and body horrors.

The post you're replying to clearly explains why normal people view necromancers as evil, not why you should care.
Necromancers will always be evil to be smitten in the eyes of the public because 1# what the user above you said, and #2 because zombies are gross and so are you for having sex with them

RANCH?
OR COOL RANCH?

Is he going to save people with it? Or help others in some way and do no real evil?
Then I don’t fucking care. Same reason I am an organ donor because WHO FUCKING CARES IF YOU ARE DEAD IF YOU CAN HELP PEOPLE.

>caring what normies think
Go back to your temple made of fleecing the masses or taxing peasants pally bitch.

Of course user but that user was literally trying to state necromancy is in the real world.

Ptolemy
Prince Hardjedef
Pre-colonisation Barbadians
Mike Morhaime
Ulysses S. Grant

Age of Wonders 3.

Its been a long ass while since i played the necromancer campaign and my memory is probably skewed but basically the character you are playing is a good guy who has to resort to necromancy to save his race which ends up with everyone waging war on you for your crimes against nature. (It doesent help that all undead look evil as fuck) you can also make yourself a good aligned necromancer in skirmish games.

Attached: DLC3_FrostlingNecroCity_Band.jpg (1920x1080, 368K)

what game

>"Necromancers" in this thread have no concept of empathy or understanding of other people's negative view of their actions
Not evil, just autistic.

What normies think decide what the public think. Stay mad necrofag, I'll be in my temple fucking hot priestesses while you're out in the woods crying because becky still wont put out for you even when she's dead.

>moralfags try to create a narrative where anything that isn’t their way is wrong and evil
Not holy, just divinely retarded

So having sex with bitches is righteous while I am out here every day protecting villages from invasions while asking for nothing in return?
Nice try tho.

hey im not even a moral fag but if you dont think a corpse walking around as a slave to someone else is creepy as hell, not to mention a corpse that could potentially be that of a beloved family member, then you are just too far gone

I might be recalling this wrong, but Grim Dawn has a necromancer faction whose diplomat or whatever takes the stance that necromancy is both pragmatic and ethical since recycling already dead bodies as cannon fodder against extra-dimensional invaders who want to kill everyone means less loss of human life. You can join either them or the heretic purging paladin order who don't take kindly to necros defiling the dead.

Apart from that I assume there's countless WRPGs where you can play as a good-aligned character while practicing death magic.

You can not abuse skeletons, also make contracts to make it legal.
TES necromancy sometimes semi-legal and not evil.
Like Dunmers ancestory thing can counts as necromancy, also Imperial necromancy were legal for some time(they used criminals bodies for it).

>donate body after death
>have necromancer raise zombie/skeleton
>undead becomes the perfect wageslave
>income can eventually pay for being revived if it is possible in the setting
>If it isn't, the undead can still generate income for family and children post death
Good-aligned necromancers WW@?

Attached: 1443024182060.jpg (1276x716, 409K)

The point is, that's still the corpse of someone's loved one you're desecrating. Even murderers and rapists have friends and family that love them. The way they put their loved ones to rest, and expect them to stay, is part of the process of grieving, accepting their loss, moving on, saying goodbye to their loved one, and remembering them. Necromancy isn't evil because of the way you treat the corpses, or because the corpses are not anything more then a pile of bones now, it's evil because of what that shell of a body means to the people that they left behind. Because they went to the effort to lay their husband to rest in his favorite spot, to bury their child with his stuffed animal to keep him company. It's for their peace of mind and their ability to cope with the loss. Raising someone you killed in self-defense still denies the sister who loved and tried to help him the right to bury him and move on. These people have to cope with the fact that the thing that was once their loved one is now more or less the property of some weirdo who needs to spend more time in the sun, and who does god-knows-what with them. A weirdo who almost certainly doesn't know who they were in life or respect their remains the way their loved ones would want.

Who cares lol.

I think worshipping the light or some divine entity is mentally ill instead of building one’s own wisdom and intellegence.
Do you think morticians are creepy for handling the dead too?
Also implying I don’t spruce them up with a bit of illusion magic and fragrance.
Keep trying tho kid you are doing great.

>B-BUT HOLY MORALFAGS
This is your only deflection. Sad.
I actually prefer Ranger.

Tldr; lol keep writing your scriptures

Nice enchants you got on your fedora there. It practically tips itself.

I’ve been making well structured arguements this whole time, I just repeated what the moralfag was spewing out because that’s all he understands because he’s too busy praying instead of studying.

You're not protecting villages you're terrorizing them by having your gross shambling corpses near them! Meanwhile we paladins storm in wearing fancy armor and talk about religion or whatever, peasants love that shit.
Thanks for picking up our slack though bro.

Dude you came into a thread arguing the merits of necromancy. Don’t meme it up man, this is all hypothetical.

>be dead
>did some good deeds before I died so sleeping peacefully
>hear family near my grave,nearly cried(but can't)
>One day, hear some rustling
>is suddenly able to move
>wtf is happening?!?
>get out
>try to move but my bones move on their own
>meet with a pale fucker
>"Aight, that should be enough." She says as she walks away
>my uncontrollable body follows her
>wh-
>a bandit ambushes her
>she orders me to fight the bandit
>what? I can't fight. Maybe we can talk about th-
>my body reacts and just beats the shit out of him
>holy shit
>can't talk,move or anything
>realise im probably stuck as her slave
>I never wanted this

>Not evil, just autistic
>moralfags try to create a narrative where anything that isn’t their way is wrong and evil
The post literally said it wasn't evil, just autistic. And then you sperged.

Nah you just chase me down and then tax the villagers I saved because a “dirty necro came through so it’s time to give up 75 percent of your gold.”
Glad I can do your job better than you and you can admit it though.

Necromancers are all sociopaths.

You may think that but the public doesn't. And that's why the history books will always write you guys off as evil. Stop justifying your borderline necrophilia and just start making golems like a normal mage would.

Because in a lot of settings its not basically a flesh golem, its some poor fucks soul ripped from the sweet embrace of oblivion and bound to a corpse with foul magics and forced to exist as a slave until someone happens along and puts him out of his misery

Man you might be autistic if you can’t understand his sarcasm and deflection.
Better get your priest to diagnose you.

Keep trying man you are doing great.

This, in the events in d3 where you run into necromancers they're mostly busy trying to make sure dead things stay dead as opposed to being endlessly recycled by the forces of evil

And look good doing it ;)
For real though thanks for protecting the villagers if you ever feel like being not creepy then come join the paladins bro we need more mages

Not an argument.

Most of it's arguing that Necromancy should be widely accepted when it's not. It'll never be for many folks. Necromancy can have value and can be used for good, it's a tool like any other spell. However, if you were a truly good Necromancer you WOULDN'T CARE. If you're doing good for societal approval and not on the virtue of doing good, you're wrong somewhere.
Even in setting where necromancers are heroes and have rarely if ever done anything wrong, people still regard them dubiously. They don't care, they have a job to do and they do it well, satisfied in that alone.

Thank you I try, which is more than what most necromancers can say since they're too lazy to even make their own golems and settle for corpses instead

Good point and with that I will leave this thread always nice to try to see people say necromancy is evil and they always argue the same even after all these years.
I got a date with a dragon terrorizing a small village. Peace.

Absolutely seething golemnigger.

Attached: caaf53c2922aa87c644a147d2671358268647e45.jpg (600x917, 498K)

>enslave a beast to take hits in your stead, bring him out of his home in unknown places, will probably die alone because no other similar beast exist in this land
"teehee,they respect so much nature, they're such a good person!"
>make vines grow out of the ground, sap the power of plants to heal your own wounds, tear trees from the forest to make them fight for you for a time, because they will die quicklyout of the ground
"nature's wrath! they work for balance! they're good guys!"
>hire people who had a family, send them to their death for a cause that isn't their, make them suffer and use them as cannon fodder so your more "noble" soldiers don't get hurt so much
"for honnor! march on for they are the good guys!"
>use lifeless bones of a dead body that can't feel anything and will end up back in the ground after a time, probably used as footsoldiers to savethe lifes of countless soldiers
"OH MY GOD SO EVIL, PURGE PURGE AND KILL THEM FOR WE ARE THE GOOD GUYS"

We already killed it
Thanks for your efforts though
-Love
Warrior mains

Most necromancy doesn't involve putting the original soul of the body's owner back into the body, it's usually just corpses being puppeteered by magic. In whatever afterlife they're in, the soul might be able to tell it's old body is being controlled but they wouldn't actually be experiencing it.

Alright have a good one. Lemme know if you need any potions.

I love the concept of a military being so fervent that all the soldiers that pride in the knowledge that even if they should fall in battle, the supporting necromancers will reanimate their bodies to keep fighting.

You call it defiling the dead.
I call it recycling.

Necromancers are all necrophiliacs.

>two(three if the steed is a sentient being) consensual agreements
vs
>using dark magic to reanimate someone against their will
great comparison

EVEN IN DEATH I STILL SERVE.

everything is wrong with your post
a steed doesn't have any kind of consensuality, it's even worse, it was bred and raised as a good slave, forced to follow the knight, often into death because he will tank hits for him
and bones don't have any kind of will, because they're dead

Just teach people to not put value into dead bodies of their loved ones, then. It is not some inherent right or instinctive human desire.

On the other hand, in the magic world, there might be some inherent value in the dead body and necromancy might somehow disturb the soul in the afterlife, or even bring it back. In that case, problems with the necromancy are rather obvious.

1) mum sees the animated corpse
Jesus, what the fuck do I do? She’s going to find all the books at this rate!

I like how necromancy threads always bring out people that pretend to have never heard the concept of respecting the dead before.

There was concpts of killing faggots and trannies before. Also not respecting womens.

And why does leaving dead bodies in the ground to rot or burning them to ashes or whatever else respects them more than animating them with magic?

user, that's entirely a matter of culturally-enforced morality. You could easily think up a hyper-pragmatic culture or setting that sees putting your own corpse to use after your soul left it as an acceptable thing.

Alternatively, post-mortem contracts as a life-extention method or perhaps a way to pay your debts without having them passed on to your descendants.

because they are returning to the earth

I like how necromancy threads bring out the people who define fictional worlds with our own morals

Let's say they do, despite different burial practices and the fact that they didn't really come from earth in the first place, and thus don't really return. Why does them returning to earth respects them more than necromancy?

If fictional worlds weren't defined by our own morald then why is necromancy evil magic?

It's not inherently. It's just a matter of how exactly the author flexes his imagination and how he wants to portray it.

Consider it stuff like people donating their organs and tissue after death, so it can help others. Regardless of whether there's an afterlife or not the dead won't be needing those bones any time soon. Sure it's icky, but it benefits people who are still alive. I think the ethics of Necromancy depends greatly on how the game in question handles it, meaning whether it's simply recycling the empty husks or if it's literally binding souls from afterlife and putting them through eternal torture in their former rotting body.