GunZ

Redpill me on this game. Tell me what you know.

Attached: GunZ.png (620x350, 386K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/F4ZHR6iisZU
youtu.be/v7ya79ulLM4
youtube.com/watch?v=_Xn3qCgdd3g
youtube.com/watch?v=3qrpLfdXRY8
youtube.com/watch?v=wnsefcs5UhU
youtube.com/watch?v=1mAO75Z2ZWg
youtube.com/watch?v=T2MtBSOr9nM
youtube.com/watch?v=FVHPCn0OowI
youtube.com/watch?v=sd_004znEGU
youtube.com/watch?v=3iseOOFsSFk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was probably among the best games I played back then.
The original battle royal
>Melee mechanics
>Various ranged weapons
>Actual progress with armor as well as weapons
>Also had dungeons
>Even fucking bosses
What a shame I never got good and when I started to get good it got swarmed by hackers.
I really liked this game, even having broken a keyboard just dashing.
Oh it hitted me right in the nostalgia. I'm gonna do a quick Google search now to check out if theres any private server out there still running.

I feel sorry for GunZ. It was too ahead of it's time. If it happened to come out today, it would be on top fighting against Fortnite and shit.

What do you want to know OP? I actually played this game on and off for the last 12ish years and think its the greatest game of all time. It's kind've dead now though and the only remaining private servers are trash.

Attached: 1553309867402.gif (500x485, 1.6M)

From what I read, the game introduced fast paced gameplay via a glitch that allowed attack cancelling and more movement options. The game's servers dwindled due to hacking and incompetence, and the company shut down.

What made it so special? What lead people to look into the code to figure out what was going on with the glitch? Why did it attract so much attention?

Latency used to be so bad that melee would be a losing situation, so you always kept range away from them.

I remember getting banned from a server when I first started playing by an admin who accused me of hacking cause his aim was shit and I managed to kill him over about 10 minutes of running and chipping away at him.

Attached: 1507770447587.jpg (347x531, 43K)

I played it for like 6 years and broke several keyboard doing different Korean style crap, the lack of competency of the devs coding the animations allowed the whole style to happen and that carried the game on it's own.
It released a sequel on steam that bellyflopped in less than a week.

>two guys kdueling
>throw all my nades and take potshots with my revolvers
>headshots for days until they votekick me

I haven't yet played the game and I do feel like I missed out. I'm sure it was enjoyable to find and grind for such a high skill ceiling in a free-for-all battle royale game. the gameplay though? on videos it looks like a lot of spam

I heard the K-Style in the sequel was neutered. That's honestly a shame. I'd love a modern rendition of this game, something so many people hold dear to themselves.

You just jogged my memory about how much I loved and hated this game. Bravo OP

>not autistic enough to kstyle
>everyone dead
>1 guy and me left
>tries to kstyle at me from above
>i hit him with 1 bullet headshot

WAAAAAAAH SPRAYER!!!!!!, the entire server, was laughing at this fagget for losing against me

it had SOUL

>holding doing that shit dear
Fuck no, I did it because I had to, my fingers and wrists were always hurting and I managed to bore holes in the wasd keys in one of the several keyboards that game costed me.
At least I wasn't autistic enough to get the Korean claw deformity.

High level was all about abusing glitches to be inmortal and undefeatable and crying when someone used a gun or daggers

An amazingly fun game with a ton of depth in it's customization and mechanics ruined by autistic kids. I could shit on any K-styler in the game with SMGs and a Rocket Launcher in a 1v1 fight and all that equated to was getting kicked from the duel because you weren't using the same bugs as they were.

The last game I played that invoked any fun with a weight system and advanced movement mechanics was Max Payne 3's online. For some reason everybody forgot how to make good video games.

>What made it so special?
A series of coding accidents created a combat system with the highest skill ceiling in vidya that when utilized by competent players made for some of the most rewarding gameplay in the medium. Killed your hands though.
youtu.be/F4ZHR6iisZU

Also the buttrock soundtrack was based
youtu.be/v7ya79ulLM4

Attached: 1556909333024.jpg (1136x568, 144K)

It sounds fun though. Similar to Starcraft 1 and its high APM shit

It sounds like the game was already good on its own. How did the sequel fail so badly? How did it pale so much in comparison to the first?

The appeal was mostly how fast paced and free-form the gameplay was combined with how ridiculously high the skill-cap is for the game. The advanced movement and combat mechanics are like a bottomless pit of potential and once you mastered them you basically had free reign to do whatever your fingers could keep up with. It leads to a game with tons of diverse playstyles and skill levels. I haven't played another game since GunZ that makes me feel that same freedom of movement and style.

To give you perspective here are three videos.

The first is a noob at the game, showing what the base mechanics of the game look like:
youtube.com/watch?v=_Xn3qCgdd3g
The second is a guy whose pretty good, showing what the game looks like when you've mastered the mechanics:
youtube.com/watch?v=3qrpLfdXRY8
The third is a VOD from the most recent tourney on one of the biggest remaining private server between a couple of my friends and the supposedly best korean players. It shows what the best players in the world right now look like:
youtube.com/watch?v=wnsefcs5UhU

I can see how people could see it as spammy. It has an extremely high APM with a lot of repeated movements. At the end of the day its a shooter though so its not so much about spamming one move and more about using movement to avoid getting hit while hitting your target with high impact shots. You might spam slashshots to chase down a target while shooting him or spam butterfly to keep an opponent stunned but most of the time you're just executing moves with purpose and not just for the sake of spamming moves.

Should've at least learned basic slash shot and flash step. Dabbing on autistic katanafags with dual revolvers from across the map was some of the most fun I've had in a bideo gaem

wasn't the point of K-style to use guns though?

>join a lobby
>everyone dancing on the walls shooting into halls with gook tier accuracy
>walk past some guy and take 15 sword shots and die instantly
>all while this shit is blasting in the background
youtube.com/watch?v=1mAO75Z2ZWg
gunz *sip* now thats an fps

they took out the glitches and made it super basic
yes it mad accuracy and movement better, butterfly was fancy but the real use of swords were to slash against walls to get better shooting angles

Post yfw you're the last guy left in the quest

Attached: 1498654611902.jpg (500x500, 35K)

I only ever learne the basic butterfly block/attack/dash but it was all you needed to be invincible in 1on1 combat against ordinary humans and the game npcs. The most fun was just playing with a friend on a private server with all the cool clothing and giant swords unlocked and having over the top duels all around the levels.

Also that one server that had you are a pirate playing at the login

Attached: Bluejack.png (635x541, 202K)

>How did it pale so much in comparison to the first?

They removed everything that made it fun. For perspective; wall-running looked cool and flowed with the maps really well, even though but you had better options most of the time. Problem was, wall-running wasn't actually in the game on purpose, even though it was a vanilla move complete with animations. Why it was there, why there were animations for it, and why it wasn't supposed to be there is a mystery, the studio was that incompetent.

>its the one in the tiny ass tunnel with the kobolds

Attached: 1525723573191.jpg (229x343, 24K)

They absolutely neutered the customization. You had to choose a class (or a character in this case) and there was nothing you could change. There was like 3 guns that were all the same but fired at different speeds, did different damages, and held different amounts of ammo. It was fucked. That's why the sequel died.

Well that and the absolutely SHIT monetization where you gamble to get permanent weapons that are statistically stronger.

>What made it so special?
Player mobility in the game was limited. You could only dash, wall run, jump etc once before needing to touch the ground.

By animation cancelling, not only could players could not only break that limit, but also block with a melee weapon AND shoot with a gun. If you were fast enough you could literally scale walls and have vertical gunfights. This essentially enabled a tepid third person shooter to become something equal parts Dragon Ball Z and The Matrix.

At higher levels of play you had access to maps which were literally nothing but stairwells in the sky and a void below. It was great. The music was good too.

youtube.com/watch?v=T2MtBSOr9nM

I never once struggled against K-stylers for a variety of reasons. One, you move faster with a dagger. Two, you can move much tighter with a dagger and it throws off K-styler movement. Three, you carry FAR more momentum with a dagger, so you can easily slide while shooting and change back to the dagger and immediately change into a random direction while still dashing while shooting completely on the ground let alone through the air.

I was a fucking god at that game. So few people even realized that different weapons did different amounts of damage to AP/HP. Example: Pistols actually did the most amount of damage to HP, so if you had good aim you could drop somebody and they'd still have most of their armor without you having to headshot them.

GunZ was great as a core game, it was K-stylers that fucked the balance up beyond recoginition and Maiet did everything they could to battle those idiots. There's a reason why the final shotgun only had -1 weight comapred to the previous version meanwhile every other gun nearly doubled it's DPS.

>tfw will never be in junior high back in 2007 playing on everything-allowed pub FFA Mansion servers while on hotmail messenger with a cute girl from school ever again

Attached: 1513874858099.jpg (552x833, 201K)

yeah very few fags like you actually played the game for its non-K style gameplay
that was boring as sin

I'm glad there's a game like this that serves as a milestone for this much depth in gameplay. It's interesting. I can only think of SSB Melee being the other game to introduce higher gameplay that allows a lot of freedom through practice. Though honestly? I think part of the popular appeal of this game was learning that you could abuse things to get above others. Something that was found through the community, and not through "official" gameplay. Otherwise, I'm sure there's going to be stuff out there that pays homage to all this. It feels like an art waiting to be experienced again.

>third person game
>fps

Alzheimers-sama, I...

Attached: 1387349348541.gif (250x250, 976K)

I used to play the shit out of this game back in 2008/2009, it was super fun, haven't played it ever since and I'm sure it's dead as fuck now

it ain't dead but any official server has hackers out the ass

COPE
O
P
E

all Y SPRAYER NOOB

Thanks for the tears, bitch.

nigger what the fuck are you even saying

Yeah Louis, that was fun

Attached: 1503371820516.gif (500x282, 1.13M)

Honestly if someone just remade gunz in a modern engine I'd probably just play that for the rest of my life.

You could actually pull off some cool stuff with daggers in GunZ. In general they were seen as shit since you can just turtle them usually and because you couldn't block with them, but there was an advanced sect of dagger players who pioneered a style for Daggers that was high mobility like K-style, appropriately called 'D-Style'. It had moves like yo-yo stepping that let you do mobile gun movements like the k-style slashshot.

This guy is probably the best D-Styler ever. Most top level players shit on d-style but this guy still found was to make it work.
youtube.com/watch?v=FVHPCn0OowI

Attached: Gunz005-3.jpg (1024x768, 86K)

would say that Yea Forums should make a server, but it'd die within 24 hours and would probably shill a discord

That's ridiculous and funny but I wouldn't expect any less from MAIET. How they just brushed off the concerns of all their passionate fans while dying as a company is just outrageously dumb.

Pay-to-win strikes again, huh? I heard that was a running issue with the first game as well, where players would buy swords that would stun for longer or would deal more damage. Shame about that customization.

Have sex

Attached: 1557604560432.jpg (900x1200, 128K)

I've loved this game, always kept coming back for years. First game I ever bought micro transactions in and that's before I ever heard of that term. Timed outfit dlc that was pay to win basically.. at least it seemed that way. K-Style was the only way to play. People always complained about "sprayers" which is when you'd use automatic weapons. Personally, I loved using dual revolvers. I miss this game like crazy.

DONT MAKE ME FEEL NOSTALGIC ABOUT THIS PIECE OF SHIT Yea Forums
youtube.com/watch?v=sd_004znEGU
I still love the maps and music of this game so much. It was one of the most 2000 era games ever.

Attached: 1543676770752.jpg (480x360, 15K)

Downloaded some private server software a while back. Too retarded to get it set up. I would have loved just being able to 1v1 friends again. Gunz was such a huge part of my childhood.

Attached: 1530147520169.jpg (1080x1080, 85K)

its literally a 500mb zip file with an .exe, how did you fuck up?

Fun game. Stole much of my youth. It taught me important lessons about why not to spend money on free to play games, which I have since carried with me to this day.

Probably I wouldn't enjoy it if it was rereleased these days. The game has a level of wonkiness to it that is unparalleled.

For example, the dual kodachi were unpopular as a weapon because they were heavy and less effective for the ridiculous movement technique spamming that was prevalent in the game, but they had a trick where you could simply spam the first hit of its combo over and over, stunlocking an opponent if they get hit by it at all. The counter to this normally would be blocking the attack, but you could get around this counter by AIMING YOUR CAMERA AT THE GROUND so that the game didn't think you were getting blocked. The game was truly the epitome of bug-as-feature.

The only P2W elements in the first one were basically just meds. Technically I'd say the Ammo Packs were OP as fuck because it instantly refilled your magazine meaning you could fire forever if you used them right. Which completely negated meds because you'd never let the enemy run to heal or run out of ammo for them to try.

There were medals that gave special effects to swords but they weren't really that good.

I don't even know where it went wrong. When I try to connect to the match server with my client, it doesn't work. This is after changing the IPs in the server ini too.

Please, there were paid weapons that were just statistically better (or lighter, allowing you to wear heavier armor) than the freebies.

Oh I forgot to mention that when they had the campaign modes it was really fun! There were things like holiday events with costumes and special loot drops from bosses etc.

Also loved playing atk and def

First 30 seconds you see a guy spam shotguns, land every "hit" and not get a kill. That's what's funny about shotgun spam and why you're fucking stupid for relying on it. Yes, you can lead shot and land more but it was still straight up RNG and useless even point blank sometimes. Revolver spam was far more efficient, and even SMGs would destroy your ass if they knew how to lead shot. SMGs Reload shotting into Revolvers was pure rape.

>female animations had larger hitboxes, so it was easier to parry bullets and horizontally kick off of walls
>male animations didn't have the same coverage, but were extremely fast and conserved more momentum, giving an advantage in vertical engagements and CQC
>none of this was remotely intentional or even supposed to be possible

Game was like Helen Keller creating the Sistine Chapel without even knowing that paint exists

Attached: 1496798779246s.jpg (206x219, 7K)

I don't know of a single one from Ijji GunZ that was like that. Maybe there were towards it's death, but I was in college by then and didn't play. From what I remember every single cash shop weapon was just a higher level weapon at a lower level requirement.

Nah, the cash shop was straight p2w. There were exclusive coats that increased the weapon weight limit and gave you massive armor bonuses. There were also rocket launchers that had less weight than regular ones while also doing more damage. I remember running around looking like a clown, doing BFly style and shitting on everything with dual rockets.

I can't remember well enough to argue, but having access to better gear for your level is still pay to win when the lobbies were level gated.

Even what you're describing is a paid advantage for weapons like the shotgun, where equipping two of the same one allows you to get around the reload animation as you rapidly switch between them. You'd otherwise be forced to wear shotguns of two different tiers.

Funny how that kind of shit would get people mad as fuck nowdays instead of enjoy them. I feel the same about TF2 when a new glitch/bug/exploit pops out and people cry bloody murder instead of having fun for a while like they used to

that k style crap ruined the game, you were forced to play that one way or else, you couldn't even use guns the way you wanted or k stylers would cry about you being a "sprayer noob" as you killed them. fuck this game and its faggot playerbase.

They added the Level 50 weapons so that stopped mattering, at least when I played.
That never bothered me for some reason. GunZ was the worst about that; higher levels had better gear and guns that straight up did more damage, but it wasn't hard to reach level 50 or so and have access to everything.
Well, yeah; premium armor was just straight up better. I think they added in armor later that was just as good that you could rent, but it honestly wasn't that much of a boost. I think even the best sets let you survive maybe another bullet or two.

I guess my point was it wasn't fucking S4 League levels of P2W, even then I loved that game too.

The game reminds me of older games where skill and practice is rewarded. Where a high interest in mechanics and the depth of one's movement and actions lead to massive success. Especially in a pvp setting, and not in the sense that you memorize paths, like difficult platformers.

I look forward to game developers looking back on this and seeing how they can lure people into an experience where you would want to work hard for all these mechanics to work, without getting turned off by how difficult it would be. Without the interest commonly starting with "oh shit, I can abuse this trick." Akin to fighting games, but spun differently. Innovation can always unfortunately come at a price, especially in a business.

And this entire post is the reason why the community for that game fucking sucked. Found out a way to bend over every K-styler in the game? All Y Spraying Noob. It was fucking annoying as hell.

Well, plus the obscene hackers. I loved it when the hackers had a weakness to a Rusty Dagger which would one-shot them because the guy put that into the hacks for some reason...and they'd call you a hacker. Literally all you did was swing once, and any hacker in the room died immediately.

I've actually realised I have a private server thing still on my computer so I launched it and now I'm playing

Hackers.

Hackers everywhere.

the fanbase for gunz moved on to the dmc games, namely 3 and 4

I don't think it'd be possible to make something like that intentionally.
The devs pretty much did the equivalent of hitting the randomize button on a character creator and getting a top model.

Against the very best people it doesn't really work like that because they don't really miss and because they don't stay out of cover. Pay attention in the video and you'll see that the guy d-styling is constantly ducking behind walls and dashing out of their LoS when they try to shoot him. This is why shotguns became the go to weapon, because you only had to hit a few shots to kill and because you could easilly get close enough to do effective damage due to the movement mechanics.

This is only true for scrubs who played against other scrubs. The reason K-Style becomes mandatory when your good is because the movement for any other form of play is super slow and predictable and easy to hit. If someone is tumbling ever it should be an easy free two hits for a good player. If you're at all competent at the game you will wipe the floor with 'sprayers'. Most of the actually good players on GunZ played the clan-war mode exclusively so if you weren't clan warring you were probably playing against shitters.

Attached: Gunz029(1).jpg (753x485, 59K)

And with innovation coming with risk, the game's success was obviously an accident. This is why I don't feel AS bad now, because the company did not deserve to hit gold like this. It had no right to throw it away, either. Like potato chips becoming commonplace or Discord taking over the IRC/Skype/Mumble VOIP, (for lack of better example) there will most likely be a random future occurance, another game that follows suit towards finding a feel for this experience, something that can be taken cared for and also have more widespread appeal. I'm glad this game isn't forgotten. Passion and interest should never be forgotten.

Absolutely.

Hacking and breaking the game over my knee was the best shit in any vidya to date.
>start flying and raining rockets from the sky
>or creating exploding rings of smoke
>or unloading an entire shotgun magazine in a single shot
>or unlocking huge claymore's and secret levels that were in development hell

Which is why Rockets and Grenades existed. My go-to build was always Rockets and SMGs. Of course, in that map, I'd never go underground. In duels it was easy to just rocket the piller they're at and keep them constantly trying to run.

Yes, a K-styler could literally rig the game to where they most likely couldn't be beaten. Fortunately, you don't have to play those maps. Town and Castle were GREAT maps to skullfuck these idiots. Mansion was pretty terrible and miserable to fight them on.

Wayback Machine managed to snag some goodies off the site it seems. Feb 2007 on gunz.ijji.com.

Attached: gunz.png (2405x313, 38K)

This

What I meant to say was, absolutely, MAIET was not aiming to make something extravagant. But I believe there's potential in interest. With interest, there's a way. As long as it sports the appeal of both new and old.

Nigger, you could reload cancel dual rocket launchers and use it between butterflies. The explosions also hit through walls and floors so you could just shoot a bunch of rockets at once at a wall and kill 4 people.

firewall blocked i think. make sure its allowed and go online and find the top rated server currently, it has a streamlined installation.

>a GunZ thread in 2019
im honestly extremely surprised and proud people came out of the woodwork to talk about how complex this game was, good fucking shit

Attached: 1501105432695.jpg (332x332, 13K)

It was a fun game before K-style and hackers

Yeah, K-style was fun. It was good, but who remembers BOW RULES?

I could sit here and talk about this game for hours. Its left a hole in my heart that I haven't been able to fill since. I'm watching old gunz videos now all depressed thinking about how I will never be able to go back to those times.

Attached: 1534823074861.jpg (668x651, 111K)

wild

yup. 1v1s, bow emote before fighting.

I agree

>not being part of the 'both no bow' master race.

>used a trainer to skip PVE garbage missions
>never banned

did old gunz even have anticheat?

>playing a private Gunz server in the game's heyday with my buddies
>private server has all sorts of custom maps
>one of them is this blue eye fuck map that has no floors past the one you spawn on
>to get to the other players you have to k-style dash from tower to tower

Jesus that game was good. I know the odds are slim, but that server had a custom playlist and one of the songs was Amy Grant's Sleigh Ride. There was another song that was this industrial acid techno song that fucking rocked hard, but I never got the name for it and I've had no luck searching for it. All I remember is that it would play after Sleigh Ride sometimes and that it mentioned the Zodiac Killer at one point. Can anyone help a brother out? It's been my white whale.

youtube.com/watch?v=3iseOOFsSFk
>7 year old video for a 15+ year old game
>still kicking

>Played in the Venister Era through the Guntrix Era
Anyone remember the Locust Plague?

Attached: 14034829934837.gif (500x357, 107K)

Nah. The devs were legit retarded and built the game off pure fucking luck. They wanted a matrix game where you could slice and shoot, but ended up making 2 Matrix 2 Furious by accident. The game was literally put in place by divine powers and the devs had no idea what to do with it.

The melee weapon mechanics in gunz were actually so fucking ridiculous when you got down to it. Like if someone looked at the ground to prevent the blocker from stunning them like you're talking about here, the blocker could angle their camera all the way up to counter it and still get the stun. That meant that against good players, you had to pay attention to which direction they were blocking and angle your camera to counter it and vice versa. Also if they did stun you successfully and tried to massive, you could avoid the massive by facing away from it at a very specific angle. To counter this again, good players would turn around 180 degrees while using the massive to counter the turn around camera trick. Nuances like this exist in almost every single GunZ move.

Burgz is classic, I always use his videos to demonstrate how crazy gunz was since he's pretty good and his videos straight forward editing. I just did so here actually

It was a genuinly brilliant game, if accidentally so
It also had nice maps and soundtrack

>you will never flip a turtling fag and slice him 500 times as he falls into his instant death again
Why such a good game had to be made by such shitty devs?

>facking K-stylers
I never saw this attitude in the game. Yea Forums threads are the first and only time I've seen anyone stating that K-Stylers killed the game. You either played on shit servers or you never got out of the low-level trash pit.

You could definitely spray in K-style matches. Most K-stylers used shotguns for that exact purpose, since the spread compensated for fast speed aiming and were still effective at long range.

I know you didn't have to play with the bread and butter female model + katana + 2 shotguns combo. I used revolvers, kodachi(dual swords) and flashbangs to fuck with noobs. Revolvers were worse shotguns, but you could snipe with them. Kodachi were worse katanas, but had unique techniques to it that caught people by surprise. If you knew were K-styler was landing for their next step, you could come to an standstill and lawnmow them with voidstep.

>It released a sequel on steam that bellyflopped in less than a week.
I remember early announcements saying they would intentionally code in the same glitches, that made the different styles like k-style possible.
They didn't. It was a whole different game, only thing it had in common was the name. And everyone that wanted to experience the good times from back then, the nostalgia, were sorely disappointed.
That's how you kill a game on release.

>Revolvers were worse shotguns
Only if you couldn't aim.

When I last played it there were only three outfits in the entire game.

GunZ operated on server side hit-registration that basically meant you had to compensate for lag delay when you shot. If I was facing a European for example, I would need to shoot where they would be in 0.3-0.5 seconds to actually hit them. This made precision aim weapons like revolvers shittier by default because even if you hit your shot, you'd usually miss unless you perfectly predicted where to lead your shot which just made them sort of inconsistent as weapons. This is true for all weapons in the game which is another reason why shotguns were preferred (bigger spread means needing to be less precise). Its obviously less of a big deal if you're facing someone close by but the gunz population has always been pretty spread out and you needed to lead shots a little bit even at say, 40ping.

In 2011-ish, a private server developer figured out how to change the hit registration and since then people have played without this lead issue and its leveled out the playing field. Some revolvers like the Bowgun became insanely overpowered due to how precise they are and I think most no lead servers have balanced out revolvers since by making their accuracy variance a little higher on no-lead.

I played without using k-style for two years and while I had problems initially I figured out it was possible to play around k-style by utilizing the splash damage of rocket launcher and the fast rate of fire and accuracy of a rifle. I would pick people from the distance and run away when they got close, then blast rockets around the corners. Sometimes I would throw a grenade for a good measure.
This alone was good enough to deal with anyone but the most skilled of players, but that was due to the nature of the netcode - if you shoot where the enemy is supposed to be in ~0.3ms the game would register a hit (which is easier to do with a shotgun since one good hit can easily take most of your life). When I first played on an anti-lead server I was amazed how effective rifles are, on these types of servers the "sprayer-noob" argument might even have some merit.