Why did the arcade die?

Why did the arcade die?

It was super popular in the 90's into the early 2000's

Attached: 1555870819763.jpg (1280x720, 146K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RoodeDCS2E8
youtube.com/watch?v=iGWesvT9z8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=4q7WSUonMzc
youtu.be/69v1CDn_Fds
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because home consoles became common and affordable.

Arcades are making a comeback because of barcades. Gee, who would've thought that alcohol gets people to go outside and socialize?

born in 2001, what was the point of arcades? why didn't you just buy a console instead of waisting continuous money just to get one chance at a game?

Because there's no reason to go to one anymore.
When they were big most arcade games had better graphics and sound than home consoles could deliver, and anyone that didn't have a console could play lots of games on a few bucks.

Now I have a console that doubles as both a home console and portable, has wifi, has youtube, and the games aren't designed to eat quarters on bullshit design.
Also smartphones exist.

>born in 2001

Attached: 1555028723661.jpg (250x250, 5K)

>dad takes me to chuck E cheese as a young lad
>love the arcade cabinets and ignore everything else
>he starts taking me to one at least once a month
>kicks my ass at Soul Calibur
>we co-op the simpsons, battletoads
>he starts dropping me off for a few hours every time I visit
>he stops going with me
>disappears hours after I've spent the few dollars I'd scrape together
>years later I learn he was going to the bar, selling heroine, and taking whatever slag he could fuck home while I sat on the curb outside hoping he'd hear the message I'd leave on a collect call as it asked for your name
I assume it's the same for everyone else too.

There was a tremendous amount of arcade games you just couldn't play the same at home. Think like a racing game where the whole cabinet and seat moves, a flight simulator where you could move around in every direction even upside down, a skiing game or skateboarding game where you had to move your entire body to control the direction of how your character moved, a game where you fired real projectiles at real targets to get prizes/score, a shooting game where you had to literally duck and weave to go behind cover etc.

No. They're designed to sell you hunderd dollar collectors editions, hundreds of dollards worth of DLC and season passes that cost as much as the game itself, etc. ad nauseam.

Unlike Japan, you can't just walk to an arcade or take the train. You may get robbed or shot along the way. Maybe even abducted, who knows.

Aside from Tournaments, how else could friendless people have a good time with people through vidya? Playing with people online isn't as fun as it was in the 2000s.

>Why play lazer tag when I can just play Call of Duty.

Fuck off, Reddit

Social platform. Random strangers hopping on a co-op game to play with you or challenge you to a fighter. It was only a quarter but it was MINE versus HIS and the winner kept going.

Also wrap-around screens and the props on the cabinet added some immersion

Never been there. Sounds miserable if everyone fits that description

Home consoles started to catch up in arcade game versions of said games and being arcade perfect instead of being scaled down stripped versions of those same games in the arcade. Over time PC's also became affordable as well as consoles contributed to this as well. Also many but not all arcade owners were really shit at maintaining and fixing machines which lead to a sour experience over time, several games did bring an arcade revival for a time like DDR and other rhythm games and so forth. Currently we're even seeing a small pinball revival too.

what kind of bodytype is fat

Arcade versions were superior for a long time.
If you were lucky, the game was just uglier but worked the same. Imagine Dragon's Dogma on PS3/360 versus PC.
Sometimes the console port was fucking garbage

Not sure about the 2000s, but from literally before you were born (kek), consoles were extremely limited graphically. You went to the arcade for the TRUE GAME EXPERIENCE. When they first brought street fighter 2 to the snes, it was a little mind blowing that you could play the arcade game at home.

SALAD DODGING

What's the first arcade game you remember playing? Mine was Turtles In Time.

>comeback

I'd hardly call it that. It's just a neat gimmick. There'd have to be something released so insanely popular that it takes people by storm. Unfortunately, nobody has been dedicating the type of brain power necessary to do that to anything besides console/mobile/PC games.

Also, . It's just not convenient and not worth it. Arcades need a massive overhaul to fit the needs of the modern consumer. As it stands, they are a relic of a simpler time.

Arcade versions of games were the definitive versions, and home ports were often inferior in terms of graphics, sound, control, etc. Once home versions got to the point where the differences were negligible, arcades lost a lot of their purpose. Once home platforms became more powerful than arcade machines, arcades became completely obsolete. Modern arcade machines are literally just embedded PCs.

THIS IS A FUCKING VIDEO

atleast you had a dad whitboi

based and have sex

Console hardware caught up and surpassed arcade's power

the only thing arcades have nowadays is specialized hardware, aka the arcade cabinets themselves

It's anecdotal, but I live in the midwest and my city now has multiple successful barcades with very serious lineups, and a dedicated flat-rate entry arcade with an insane game count.
It's fucking happening. It'll never be like it once was, but it's there and it'll take a while to lose steam.

Simply build an online social circle and have fun with them. There a lot more modern ways upon making a vidya community than being some fatfuck in your 40s-50s huddled over a giant machine.

Attached: 4t5r.jpg (480x360, 19K)

Maybe you're right. I live in the suburbs about 45 minutes away from the downtown area where we have our most popular barcade and people are still willing to make the drive there. The place is usually packed, but then again, I've only been there on the weekends.

I'd probably have a better idea of how popular it actually is if I lived downtown. Living so far away makes it hard to give much of a shit.

I stopped playing arcade games when the PS1 came out. I probably would have continued playing arcade games if the fuckers didn't get so greedy and start charging double and quadruple for newer games. I may be little sad now that arcades are dead, but back then I was happy to watch them die. fuck your $1 per game Tekken and Virtua Fighter

Pedophile scare

Gangs

Drugs

Quarter vacuuming machines that slowly became dollar vacuuming machines

The lack of progress in the development of games and hardware leaving the Japs to figure it all out by having machines connected to a network and start getting updates while also making new games

Home Consoles and Gaming in general

I probably forgot a dozen other reasons but the fact of the matter is they died because they didn't clean up their act and didn't keep up with the times

Attached: 1557539940207.gif (600x480, 21K)

I remember seeing those chance games like crane games and similar things going upwards of five bucks a play.
Sure the prizes were nicer, but fucking really?
What's the point of you're going to charge that much?

sweet, I can play some fucking turbo boomer shit on poorly maintained cabinets that were already beat to shit when they got them from the other poorly maintained shithole they've been rotting in.

SoulCalibur was so flawless of an adaptation that it made developers realize that they could just make their games for consoles instead

ABOUT SOME FAT
FUCK
NAMED BOOGIE

Online gaming. It's always been shit (for fighting games at least), but why leave to go to a smelly arcade when you can play other people not only locally, but also from around the world in the comfort of your own home?

easier to sit on your ass at home plus graphical parity

Because Mario Kart came out the same time as games like these.

youtube.com/watch?v=RoodeDCS2E8

Purely anecdotal, all the ones around here slowly got rid of all their interesting cabinets for ticket games, and then people just stopped going.

Can your sega or nes do this? youtube.com/watch?v=iGWesvT9z8Q

Probably either the truck game with 4 different colored wheels, or the big ass xmen cabinet that was a side scroller.

>arcades don't have anything that you can't get at home anymore after 6th gen
>no reason to go there any more
>arcade1up
ultra cringe
either get real hardware or rpi/mame box + arcade stick, none of this inbetween overpriced bullshit

They started with ticket trash because regular video games weren't making enough money
Luckily racers and light gun games were unique enough to survive, and every decent arcade has some version of pacman even today

It makes sense, but every time I went to our local bowling alley/arcade there would be one less fightan and one more ticket trash machine. Near the end I think all they had was ticket games, time crisis, and house of the dead. No pinballs left either.

>tfw you will never have this
youtube.com/watch?v=4q7WSUonMzc

Attached: 2fddzr.jpg (318x313, 11K)

I remember going to this amusement park and they had an arcade with a huge space invaders arcade game, it was 2 players and insanely fun.

>go to the movies yesterday to see detective pikachu
>decide to pop into the shitty arcade next door to kill some time since it was 30 minutes until my showing
>suddenly have a corner with a bunch of good retro games in near perfect condition
>marvel vs capcom 1 and 2
>ultimate mortal kombat 3 and 2
>killer instinct
>project justice
>guilty gear xx
>nba jam
>all cheap as fuck too
>mfw
Ended up coming back after the movie and spent 2 hours on $5

Attached: 1518142780416.gif (414x317, 674K)

I recently played that are my arcade. It's kinda tough 1P

3 big reasons for america
>The cost of rent skyrocketed due to the hyper inflation of the 2000s, and no one wants to pay $1 per life
>No one maintained the machines, most arcade cabinets are imported, thus we had no local technicians who could maintain the majority of the cabinets at an affordable rate
>American gangs tended to gravitate towards them because they're great places to sell drugs to kids, shake down people for money, ect, and many of them, especially along the coasts, ended up being hotspots for gang violence

If you want to see arcades come back state side you're going to need to franchise it and use a new monatary scheme then quarter munchers, because quarter munchers will not go well.

Whats really silly is with this big push for esports, you'd think someone would come along and create esports centric arcades/net cafes and try to get the big esports companies to back them, because the main reason net cafes died in the 2000s is because of excessive DRM, DLC and Subscription based gaming that it was too much work and money to keep everything up to date, and valve's netcafe deal was retarded.

millennials killed the arcade because they'd rather stay at home and play games in their room.
likewise, millennials are killing brick and mortar retail by shopping online. next is dine-in restaurants thanks to food delivery services.

Make one you lazy fuck.

No they aren't. New shit isn't leaving Japan and even then arcades in Japan are slowly dying.

Online and PC gaming
Console Arcade ports were garbage most of the time back in the day. its not like these days where the arcade release if anything comes AFTER the consoles if at all.

if you want a fun little example of why this is look at this video covering the dozens of SF2 ports: youtu.be/69v1CDn_Fds

Good arcade to consoles ports never really were a thing outside of Bamco 3D fighters or Capcom Sega Saturn ports but they're the exception rather than the rule.

There's a barcade near my house that looks fucking tight inside and out. Stop making excuses for why youre a fat neet afraid to go in public.

As someone who worked for an arcade/net cafe hybrid it just became too costly to opperate, and the american stigma around 'video games are bad' in the 90s and 00s made it impossible to get kids in, and kids are the majority of your customers.

On top of this the quarter muncher scheme stopped working when it cost $1+ to play a single round of street fighter.

On the netcafe side of things it became too fucking costly to maintain them, DRM made it so you couldn't buy 1 copy of half-life or quake and have every popular FPS mod on 20+ machines anymore like counter-strike or team fortress, and even games with copy protection became too expensive to maintain because of DLC and constant updates, we used to be able to just patch on a weekly cycle but with everyone becoming always online we had to update every day, which was a 1-2 hour process to get 30+ PCs up to date without issue.

1$ a life. Do you even go to arcades? Its 10$ entry and the games are free. When I say arcades I dont mean Dave and buster's you God damn retard.
>great place to sell drugs to kids
Stop watching so much tv

>Good arcade to consoles ports never really were a thing outside of Bamco 3D fighters or Capcom Sega Saturn ports but they're the exception rather than the rule.
The Dreamcast was an overclocked NAOMI inside a console, it had perfect ports

Im sure some places have figure out how to stay afloat with new setups, but thats the majority of reasons why arcades failed in the states, and I know not every place was full of druggies, but the stigma behind that shit kept a large chunk of money flow out of the arcades, and the lights have to stay on somehow.

>born in 2001
MOOODS

>greasy pizza
>fountain drinks
>mac'n on girls from other schools

Probably Time Crisis or The Simpsons

Its the same as the free to play model.

For kids 25 cents here and there is easy to lose track of and gain while a couple hundred dollars is hard to come by. Free to play games don't require that 60 dollar purchase. So maybe just buy a one or two dollar skin.

But then you ran into the problem of having to play them with the DC controller if you didn't own the arcade stick. Kinda went over this with Capcom ports and Bamco stuff but yeah.

>valve's netcafe deal was retarded.
never forget that right around the time my favorite net cafe closed down, they had to implement the netcafe thing and all it did was cause a bunch of problems. People would just get randomly kicked off during matches or gameplay.

It was mega retarded and poorly implemented.

Got even worse when they added in hats to TF2, because the system wouldn't let people log out into their own account either without fucking up the entire syncing shit.

there never were netcafes

Are you serious, or are you just a dumbass?

Consoles were shitty back then.

THIS IS A FUCKING VIDEO

Attached: DMi575UUIAAQjaD.jpg (871x873, 105K)

Home consoles started getting near-perfect ports around the tail-end of the PS1 days or when the Dreamcast (essentially NAOMI hardware) came out. Then they became PCs inside an arcade cab when they used to have specialized, borderline military-grade hardware. Then they started getting expensive despite the cheap PC hardware, $1 per-credit when 50 cents was already pushing it.