Am I the only one who loves this game because of all the extra stuff, and not the dumb competitive crap?

Am I the only one who loves this game because of all the extra stuff, and not the dumb competitive crap?

Attached: Super_Smash_Bros_Melee_box_art.png (250x349, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XKHQXuXE8qc
youtube.com/watch?v=sfQ75gr2znA
youtube.com/watch?v=zdAPNuT6_78
youtube.com/watch?v=AMfFaga51Pg
youtube.com/watch?v=EEdFMOnBMDI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's why it's the best, the art style, the music, the menu. The game has so much charm and soul but also fun competitive gameplay for us tourney fags.

Nah, Brawl is the best. You've got Snake, Subspace Emissary, Final Smashes, and a shitload of soul. Melee is a close second.

The event matches and adventure mode of Melee were alot of fun, its just that its 17 years old now so everyone just remembers the still alive comp scene

I'm there with you. Individualized Target Tests and the Event Matches are my favorite things about the game. I also found it really fun to pull the memory card and unlock every character in quick succession with some friends.

My friend and I play it every weekend and just throw pokeballs at eachother and other nonsense. We don't care about the competitive scene at all but it just feels so much better to play than the more modern titles.

It's my favorite mix of singleplayer content just for the Targets mode having a unique map for each character. The event modes were also really good and the game had the coolest trophies imo.

>best artstyle
What? the models were clearly rushed
>best music
redundant, considering every smash game includes the music of the last
>menu
N64

Attached: darksoulsrolling.png (200x266, 46K)

>brawl
>designed to discourage a competitive community
>ever having soul

it isn't terrible but "soul" is certainly one thing it does not have. Melee has soul because it was designed as fun party game but its niche style caused to be the highest APM fighting game to date, all by accident, thats soul motherfucker.

>Models

Attached: smashgames.jpg (500x344, 44K)

Is the speed in melee still the quickest? Brawl felt slower to me

Some of the models sucked, and some of them are timeless. Luckily most of the top played characters have really well aged character models.

youtube.com/watch?v=XKHQXuXE8qc
THIS.
THIS is soul.

>designed to discourage a competitive community
That has nothing to do with "soul"

yeah
melee>ultimate>4>64>brawl

Wow Brawl has really aged like shit.

not him but

>the models were clearly rushed

that doesnt stop you from noticing the clear art direction they took, poor argument.

>redundant because the music is from the last

yes, but its more refined, more grandiose to reflect the theme of the game, and even include songs completely redesigned in composition for smash, like Fountain of Dreams. Poor argument.

>N64
not an argument.

I love the wierd rewards it would give you for doing random stuff like walking alot in a battle

>Am I the only one who loves this game because of all the extra stuff
No, I also like how hey stepped up the overall game from 64
>and not the dumb competitive crap?
But I still appreciate how much its community squeezed out of if for 12 years.
You might want to correct me now and say it's been 17, but I feel after the 12 mark there were diminishing returns.

I hope these cutscenes were worth the game being delayed.

And i hope sonic was worth the second delay.

Name a better sequel to a game than Melee was to 64, I dare you

I have never once given a crap about tryhard competitions and I am objectively better off for it. Competing with yourself and your friends is all that matters.

What were they thinking with this gritty artstyle?

Attached: Toon_Link_SSBB.jpg (373x377, 71K)

>yes, but its more refined, more grandiose to reflect the theme of the game, and even include songs completely redesigned in composition for smash, like Fountain of Dreams. Poor argument.

Wow like every smash game you moron

designing your game to discourage certain types of play is fraudulent user and oyu know it.

Event mode was fun.

Why does Luigi's voice sound nothing like him?
Luigi's Mansion predates Melee and uses the voice we all know. Who's decision was this?

Never forget the E3 reveal, still amazing to this day

youtube.com/watch?v=sfQ75gr2znA

Attached: Sakurai2001.jpg (320x240, 21K)

Yes and yes

Pikmin 2, Pokemon red to gold.

Mine.

The game was super rushed, so Luigi is still just mario sped up

Yet they couldn't tell Charles to say every line Mario did in the Luigi voice
It could have taken like 2 hours tops

>those people that thought ridley was playable

Fucking kek

Luigi's voice during the N64 era was inconsistent, he had pretty much had a different tone and voice in each game

youtube.com/watch?v=zdAPNuT6_78

youtube.com/watch?v=AMfFaga51Pg

youtube.com/watch?v=EEdFMOnBMDI

Sakurai just played it safe and used the same voice he had in Smash 64 I guess

Yeah, that's something I have a hard time understanding about Melee fans. I played Brawl before Melee, so when I got to Melee and heard Luigi's voice, it was just jarring. How can people think Sped Up Mario Luigi is better than Actual Luigi?

Not even Yea Forums likes Melee for its competitive stuff, they just like being able to watch their favorite ecelebs on stream playing it.

Not really there was some good modes like event matchs, and target test, but adventure mode and classic mode were very mediocre, smash run and board the platform are the best modse if only you could play smash run online, and actually ultimate stage mode now is actually good, hopefully they add Stadium but improved.

I remember on the last day of 6th grade, one kid brought his Gamecube to class and we all played Melee for the rest of the day. Somebody suggested we did the Tournament Mode and everybody in the class was involved. I picked Link, and I wasn't very good at the game since I never owned a Gamecube, ended up getting 8th place against Ice Climbers (Thought they were overpowered because it was two characters rather than one). I still remember the last match being between Ness and Mr. Game and Watch on Jungle Japes. Ness won the match by throwing MGAW down into the water where a crocodile bit him immediately KO'd him. Shit was so hype.

Attached: thumbs up.png (871x917, 404K)

>highest APM
That means fuckall. I could turn any game in existence into the highest APM game of all time by making it so you have to type a few sentences on a keyboard every time you want to do a common action. But that wouldn't make it fun, interesting, deep, or "soulful". That's basically what wavedashing is and why it was scrapped in all future installments: arbitrary APM inflation for what in any sensibly designed game would just be a single button or a command normal.

High APM does not automatically equate to good gameplay.

You know that story Sakurai told about how he had to fucking sleep in the office and everyone worked super hard for the game to come out the way it did? Yeah, that's why the game is good. You can tell it was worked on very hard, with passion. When you work that fucking hard on a game you want it to be really fucking good, which Sakurai admitted Melee is by calling it the sharpest game in the series and suggesting it's the one competitive players should go to.

Competitive shit aside, it's just really fucking good to play. It feels great to control characters and to just play through Adventure or Classic. Brawl had a lot of content as well but something about it always felt off to me, maybe the art style being too realistic.

That's the face of the man about to drop the best fighting game of the next two decades at least

Back when trophies were good

what a copepost

Lmfao i said highest apm fighting game you autist, and i was making a point that the competitive scene, with a meta that took years to perfect, and its crazy longevity was the result of a game that had no intention of being that way. Learn reading comprehension idiot.

Cute gatcha trophy machine

Marth and fox felt tight

Character specific target tests

That's about it.. the rest is a heaping pile of shit

I thought the Klaptrap was added in the Brawl version

I just checked. The Klaptrap is in every version of Jungle Japes.

>forced to play this trash with friends
>directional + stance dependency + single button for gazillion different things just ends up with half your input discarded
what a grating experience

I love it too. I liked all the individual target smashes tailored to each character, adventure mode actually having stages from mario and zelda, wish the rest of the adventure was like it. Ironically playing with items was the best in melee, it wasn't overpowered or annoying like in wii u.