Playing some Castlevania games, never did get around to this one or Circle of the Moon. Either of them worth it?

Playing some Castlevania games, never did get around to this one or Circle of the Moon. Either of them worth it?

And is the PS1 Chronicles via PS3 worth it?

Attached: 22A8E73D-8793-4B9A-952D-DC764486E235.jpg (342x308, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LZ9zNhBCVxk
youtube.com/watch?v=UMMIdnJnQ5Q
youtube.com/watch?v=SALcnafOZQQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No one huh?

This was pretty good, it's the closest to SOTN out of all of them. It's also a sequel to Bloodlines which was a very underated castlevania.

Circle of the Moon is eh

Attached: 6c3.png (576x1634, 1.49M)

Chronicles is shit, you should avoid unless you're a die hard fan.

Portrait of Ruin and Circle of the Moon have some of the best level design and enemy placement in the series. The music in both games is also the best of their respective handheld trilogies. Definitely worth playing but CotM might seem a little dated in some ways compared to the others.

Chronicles is absolutely worth it too. It's a very difficult reimagining of the first game featuring new levels, bosses, and music. It also has an easier arranged mode which is easier and features some minor graphical adjustments and remixes of the music from the original version that are very different but still excellent in their own rights. Here's an example:
youtube.com/watch?v=LZ9zNhBCVxk
youtube.com/watch?v=UMMIdnJnQ5Q

Really? I’ve heard it’s good

Well, I didn't like it. It was too basic for a ps1 game and I thought the remixed music was gay.

The final boss is so fucking dogshit. But I would like to have the return of the DSS system.

CHARLOTTE!

PoR is solid, CotM is hit or miss. The thing about CotM is that it thinks its a castlevania game or something so expect to go flying when you get hit and kill everything with your ginormous whip or crucifix subweapon instead of having any sort of variety in movement and attack options.

Remix was indeed bad not gonna lie.

You played Dawn of Sorrow right?
I'd say it's comparable in quality to it.

Circle of the Moon is neat, it's probably worse than Aria but it was different in some ways that made it feel a bit fresh.

Haven't played Chronicles though.
Only 3D one I've tried was Curse of Darkness.

JONATHAN!

Also if you play CotM look into a cheat code that lets you run without double tapping

Attached: __charlotte_aulin_castlevania_and_castlevania_portrait_of_ruin_drawn_by_nishiuri__c0f3c8f6cc8615d47e (1080x1525, 1.11M)

Chronicles is great. If you like barbarian Simon they include the original game that has that as well. It’s pretty much the same as Chronicles, just with older music and some different sprites.

Well Soma has Dracula tier loyalty to his Waifu built in.
So no wonder he'd ignore the hot demons.

the backtracking and not knowing where i'm going is bad enough even in AoS and DoS; it's inconceivable to me to play the old GBA castlevanias that don't have even have a map. what a fucking slog.

also you don't get new weapons and spells

ya Chronicles is worth it, though it might be best to play the emulated X68000 version included with Chronicles, the PS1 port is more of a remix, not just as far as the music goes
CotM is good fun but a bit lacking in enemy variety, Portrait is fine too, not peak Metroidvania, but good still
It is good, user's just a CV4fag that's buttmad at Chronicles being a better remake of 1, and the original X68000 version is included in the PS1 ver, pretty sure you can even select a bunch of sound chip modes
it's up there with Rondo, Bloodlines, 4 and Rebirth as the pinnacle of Classicvania

circle of the moon a best

They all have maps, what the fuck are you on?

Portrait of Ruin is fantastic and easily my favorite game in the series, it's definitely worth playing. Circle of the Moon is a bit rough around the edges, but it's still a good enough game in my eyes. Chronicles is okay, I probably wouldn't bother with it but it's up to you.

Attached: tumblr_obdevwIld01rmc01oo2_400.png (376x287, 12K)

Circle of the Moon was my first castlevania so it is special to me. Going back to it after playing the others it is a slog to play. You should try it none the less, the card system thing was fun and the music is decent.

didn't cots have a fucked up map or something where you couldn't tell where you were

Will hit up Portrait of Ruin first, then Chronicles, then if I still want to play something before the collection next week i'll try Circle of the Moon.

Thanks anons.

CotM is an interesting take on a Belmont style game in a metroidvania, but oddly the MC isn't a Belmont anyway

One of these games that aren't that good in themselves but are worth playing for fans as they're very different

>Love Classicvania
>Series goes the braindead easy Metroidvania route with barely any actual level design to speak of
>Art style and general plot deteriorates more and more into anime shit culminating in Death literally performing the fusion dance with Dracula-sama
Just fuck Castlevania

Mah nigga.
Chronicles and Adventure ReBirth are such a great idea. Wish Konami would have continued with 2 and 3 at the very least.

PoR is amazing - the only downside is to get the good ending, it requires using a spell that can be a bit difficult to pull off but it's quite good. I also remember people complaining that two of the quests were incredibly hard to do on the standard DS control pad as it was not designed to do a quarter-circle rotation which is true - I had to get a DS Lite to do the quest
CotM was probably my favourite - outside of Golem and Phase 1 of the Dracula fight, it was great.
But the DSS card system was fucking pointless
Unless playing in WIZARD mode then everything is just a cake walk.
FIGHTER mode was great for face tanking everything.

Never got why people said it was hard - I even took the wrong route and missed out on cleansing and two whole areas of XP. I did play it before SotN so that might be way, I found SotN to be incredibly easy the moment you beat doppleganger, though

PoR hits you with a sweet ass theme when you get to the castle
youtube.com/watch?v=SALcnafOZQQ

All of them have maps.
The CotM one blinks where you are, see pic

Attached: BLiNKING LIGHT.png (1920x1040, 16K)

people apparently love CotM. I don't get it, personally. PoR I found had a level structure I didn't quite agree with and aside from that godawful circus level, it's breddi gud.

would still say to play Aria/Dawn of Sorrow over those

Circus levels were fucking shit agg

I like CotM and the cards, but really hate the whole walking/running thing.

Not that user but none of the levels were bad - all o fthem were quite good. Though I think it was just two rooms in it, ,the I forgot whatever it was, some platforming area in the first circus was quite annoying

i am that user. i just hate circus levels in general. aside from that the circus level had a weird progression that felt very slow and tedious on top of a setting i cant stand

Right so it was the setting - it wasn't that the level was bad but you genuinely have no interest in circus themed levels.

That doesn't make it a bad level. A bad level would have to have flaws of some sort - in your opinion it wasn't enjoyable. That doesn't make it "bad".

Bad would be for example how AoS and DoS are literally just RNG for soul drops outside of progression souls