What games have the best magic?

What games have the best magic?

Attached: pT7rn858c.jpg (1300x987, 110K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KnxgQMSsc8c
youtu.be/Ju0Uw_E1iqg
youtube.com/watch?v=624kTUMg8yI
youtube.com/watch?v=gfJkZ2GyW8A
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=122671215
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, is Wizard of Legend any good?

Baldur's Gate 2.
Magicka

no, unfortunately

Damn shame it looked cool. How about Lichdom: Battlemage?

Might check out Magicka

Yes, it's pretty fun. I'd say it's better than shit like EtG. Not very balanced as some spells are vastly more powerful than the others and once you get endgame shit there's no reason to use anything else.

Baldur's Gate 2 probably has the best spell system in any video game period.

Nox

Battle mage is an FPS but instead of bullets you just cast magic until people die. Was a let down for me

EtG kinda sucked though so that's a pretty low bar

Magicka

Morrowind

fable
maple story
final fantasy

>game has magehunters wielding antimagic weapons

Attached: 1541996951358.gif (282x354, 1.17M)

What’s the best magic system?

Mana?
Vancian?
Physical resource such as runes?

It's best when the game has multiple magic systems ranging from sorcery to runic magic.

>you just overbuff yourself to the fighter's level and kill them with a sword shaped black hole or turn into a dragon with 5 attacks per round

Attached: 1549307069596.jpg (676x581, 54K)

Dragons Dogma

Magehunters are a cool concept but they always end up being edgy faggots with pointy weapons

BG2 has extremely satisfying magic AND anti magic. Wizards are OP but inquisitor is also OP and gets the carsomyr

Dark Souls somehow made vancian more attractive by giving each spell their own unique amount of charges per slot. That worked pretty alright, at least better compared to the focus bar introduced in DS3.

What about?

Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2
Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2
Icewind Dale 1 and 2
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Planescape: Torment

What about them?

Ragnarok Online

Nah, focus bar is vastly superior because it allows you to function like a sorcerer in the series where only a small handful of spells is good so in the end you get far more casts of high-tier spells.

Faith based magic > everything

Morrowind

They had such a good magic system, why did they have to cock it up so bad?

Attached: 1496250642721.jpg (250x244, 9K)

Is there even a game where Mage Hunters work as intended?
Most of the time it seems they actually lack the tools to do their jobs.
I've seen Debuff removal only, Damage times Buff, Magic damage resistance that doesn't go anywhere near it needs to, access to Dispel Magic scaling roughly to the magic class level.
Generally its a extremely shitty warrior class, but you get more stuff that doesn't work as intended. To the point where you often ask: Why are these even called Mage Hunters or whatever edgy name they got?

Its hilarious even outside of DND
Generally summons/shapeshift/melee magic is extremely powerful and you just go there as a superhuman.

And focus BAR means you enter MAD. Multiple Attribute Dependency.
While its not DND, so high stats is a given with time, its still not exactly a good solution.

Attached: 18_century_turk_warfaregeneral.gif (624x510, 105K)

Dark Souls 3

Attached: 54cb5fb1479bc_-_megamind_1110-md.jpg (300x300, 18K)

Does Oblivion have good magic? I'm about to play it for the first time and don't know what build I want to go with.

worse than morrowind but better than skyrim, as with everything else there are a hundred mods that all make it more interesting

It's fun when you exploit the bugs to make broken spells.

All the Elder Scrolls games.

I have yet to see another series with such freedom of magic, even skyrim has more freedom than anything else I've seen.
>stealth character
>use invisibility to hide
>frenzy and fury as my weapons
>if target is alone, I paralyze them, and stab them with a summoned dagger
I should stop posting, this is making me want to reinstall skyrim.

you're not fooling anyone, Todd.

>Skyrim
Magic in Skyrim is a joke. Didn't become viable until you got broken equipment that made spells cost nothing. Even then, one handed damage is still better. Morrowind has the same problem where it's not good until you completely break the game with alchemy.

Attached: 1556913419988.jpg (460x464, 47K)

>Skyrimjob
>good magic

Attached: 1388855443630.jpg (235x219, 18K)

Mages of Mystralia. Combine base spells and modifiers to fit your needs or break the game. Turn a fireball into recursive meteor rain that only ends because it burns through all your mana. Give it a few seconds to regenerate and then do it again.

>The best magic
Dragons dogma
>The best magic system
Magicka

I could go on for days about how fucking awesome magicka is, but last I checked the devs added some update which just fucked the game

looks neat

Attached: 1532784603059.jpg (240x250, 6K)

>Play Outward
>Get Sigil of Fire
>Get Spark
>Try it
>Almost orgasm from how different it is from the rest of the melee/gun combat

Attached: Dota_2_happy_Silencer.jpg (462x555, 38K)

Name a single fucking game where you have as much freedom with magic as TES.
I'll wait for your reply.

No, scripted sequences do not count
No, having a variety of damage spells does not count.

>minmaxers
Fuck off, this thread is about games where magic isn't just click to deal damage.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker's magic is like a gimped version of Neverwinter Nights.

Dark Messiah of Sir Kicksalot is pretty good.
youtube.com/watch?v=KnxgQMSsc8c

>Magic is almost completely useless
>MIN-MAX FAGS FUCK OFF
Dumb normie bethesda shill. At least in Morrowind it had a good use outside of combat and you could use it properly without having to glitch up your willpower and intelligence

Attached: 1556301200964.jpg (288x467, 42K)

Were not talking about all of TES retard. Skyrim specifically is shallow as fuck

Planescape's high level spells are fucking Final Fantasy summon tier.

Mana and reagents.

i never found the magic in morrowind all that interesting. it's like using the console to fly around or do whatever, it's kinda fun for a little while but doesn't really amount to compelling gameplay by itself.

Morrowind probably.
Dragon's Dogma doesn't exactly have an in-depth magic system but it does have one of the most satisfying ones.
Arx Fatalis is fun too, but even if you spec into magic you don't get the runes needed to cast 90% of the spells until you're a few missions in so keep that in mind. I did just fine despite making a mage so it's not like you have to start out as a warrior or anything

Dragon's Dogma, Morrowind, and Arx Fatalis

Hivemind once again proven real

>play outward
>loving it as a rune mage
>super exited to try out all the other spell classes
>they're all shit
>lose all interest after dumping all my cash into shaman

Even VANILLA magic is good in skyrim.

Explain to me how, even in skyrim, magic in TES is not good.

>Skyrim specifically is shallow as fuck
And yet, it still beats everything outside of the Elder Scrolls series.

Not those anons, but Skyrim's magic sucks and doesn't scale well at higher levels. And since there is no spell maker, you're just fucked if you're a pure mage.

Also, I liked the spell maker in Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, etc. It made so sense to remove one of the most entertaining things in the series.

Runemage > Shaman > Chakram shit > Guns > Melee >>>> Bow

Attached: cinebilder2012-11-09-13h42m58s71.jpg (640x432, 38K)

>no sense

I meant.

Attached: 1517346145070.png (645x729, 186K)

It's boring and it's almost never viable. Oh great you can cast 2 useful spells that makes sneaking easier, cool. Conjuration is terrible 99% of the time too unless you're actively trying to avoid breaking the game or playing on a high difficulty. I love using magic but even I know it's completely aids in Skyrim and almost never worth using

Avencast: Rise of the Mage

>Conjuration is terrible 99% of the time too unless you're actively trying to avoid breaking the game or playing on a high difficulty.

Different user, but I didn't realize Conjuration was so OP in Skyrim. I've always actively avoided it because I found it boring. The destruction school didn't scale well at higher levels which made me loathe the magic in that game. I wanted to one shot everything with fireballs and shit like I could in the previous games.

>Baldur's gate 2

Thank god for guides, because I could not fucking understand high lever wizard play. They'd be invincible to absolutely everything,

>Not those anons, but Skyrim's magic sucks and doesn't scale well at higher levels.
Unless you've managed to power level to 80, that's a false statement.

>It's boring and it's almost never viable. Oh great you can cast 2 useful spells that makes sneaking easier, cool. Conjuration is terrible 99% of the time too unless you're actively trying to avoid breaking the game or playing on a high difficulty. I love using magic but even I know it's completely aids in Skyrim and almost never worth using
I have well over two thousand hours in skyrim, and I know for a fact that you're wrong.

Every spell in vanilla Skyrim is useful, conjuration is good for use throughout your playthrough, both when summoning weapons and minions to fight for you.

The destruction school was lame and at higher levels the fireballs felt like under-powered arrows.

Magicka is funny as fuck with a few friends, one shotting each other with lightning strikes

Attached: 1485453589750.png (323x241, 78K)

>Not playing the lightning wizard solely to avoid this

The only other guy with 2k hours on Skyrim is a complete normie faggot co-worker and you're kind off reminding me of him right now. You can always force it onto the scenario but once you forge and enchant your equipment, conjuration becomes completely obsolete unless you deliberately want to slow down combat to summon a bunch of shit. Fuck that.

>Magehunters
>Ever being effective
Only way you can have magehunters be effective is if they never actually fight the mages or if the mages use dogshit Harry Potter magic that is only useful in 1v1s.

Attached: 1538761961554.png (500x500, 61K)

>You can always force it onto the scenario but once you forge and enchant your equipment,

So much this. I always went this route and magic just paled in comparison to the absolute OP nature of this build.

>Is there even a game where Mage Hunters work as intended?
Wizard Slayer in BG2 stacking like 85% spell failure chance with darts.

Dunno, kind of had my ass handed to me in Maj'Eyal.

>The destruction school was lame and at higher levels the fireballs felt like under-powered arrows.
You have never touched skyrim a day in your life.

>if I don't like it then it's bad and useless
That's all you said.

It's not so much a hivemind as it is there are very few games with satisfying magic systems.

So they get raped badly against Druids and Clerics because they don't have crippled BAB or Hit Die growth?
And has no reasonable way to deal with buffs.

Then again, BG2 is weird.
You need anti magic to really get going, because there is too many OP buffs and summons.

>You have never touched skyrim a day in your life.

You're a fucking retard. The enchant + forge combo has you 1 - 2 shotting level 50 dragons but with magic, you're chipping away at their health. I think you're the one that has never touched skyrim.

>magehunters

The only two ways this works for me is if it's a religious institution that outlaws magic or the magehunters are actually scary demons that come after you to eat your fucking essence but otherwise don't bother with the mundane folk.

Attached: 0090.jpg (419x304, 22K)

Skyrim magic is garbage without mods.

What are the best magic mods for Skyrim?

Good. Fuck magic, fuck mages, fuck wizards, fuck sorcerers, fuck witches, and FUCK mana.

I do love how it turns out once it hits the gameboard
>Mage hunter intitution
>Possibly with Inquistor titles
>100% unprepared to actually deal with magic bullshit
>ALWAYS 100% unprepared

>The enchant + forge combo has you 1 - 2 shotting level 50 drag-
You have never touched skyrim a day in your life, you are here because you have no opinion of your own, you were told to hate bethesda, so that's what you do, and you do it without exception.

Is there any game, lorewise, where based inquisitors roll up and proceed to absolutely shred mages?

Also this:

anything by the guy who created apocalypse, forgotten magic, and lost grimoire

There is the B.P.R.D., but generally they are a bunch of terrible jobbers.
And mostly that is because somebody thought it was a good idea to undertrain the grunts needed to do the legwork.
So the grunts are useless, but everybody over that knows their shit. Or are tought enough to deal with the bullshit that happens once towns are lost to the supernatural.

But B.P.R.D. in Hellboy is more competent than ANYTHING else i have seen.

Attached: Hellboy_Rolls_For_Diplomancy.jpg (1024x1575, 830K)

>Magic is incredibly powerful
>Magic is outlawed/heavily regulated
>Most mages are aleady dead or hiding
>Magehunters are elite soldiers trained especifically to deal with rogue mages and people trying to learn magic

Sounds like a good setup for a game

I quite literally have a build that could do that and I played with it today. You dumb cunt shills should unironically go back to plebbit where your retarded bitching and moaning without any substantial argument is welcome

It is.
Then the first mage/demon/summon/druid/angel shows up
And it turns out the mechanics of the game make the professional magehunters into a paper tiger incapable of acting.
And its ALWAYS like that. Or the entire core of the conflict is so poorly written it has nowhere to go.

Attached: Box_of_buthurt.png (288x288, 65K)

>I can do it and even did it today, I really did! CUNT SHILL REDDIT RETARD NO ARGUMENT!!!!!!!!!
Die in a fire.

>Fortify one handed on every piece of equipment
>Done
Imagine being such a big fucking retard you can't even break an elder scrolls game

I'm still waiting for a single shred of proof.

youtu.be/Ju0Uw_E1iqg

youtube.com/watch?v=624kTUMg8yI

Absolute fucking mong, you may very well be the dumbass co-worker I talked about. Show me proof that you have 2000 hours in Skyrim and not 2. Also see

>here's this random skyrim video about glitching the game, now go away!
You're not posting anything because you know you can't prove it.
>Show me proof that you have 2000 hours in Skyrim and not 2.
Unlike you, I don't spout random bullshit.

Attached: two thousand hours.png (3200x900, 1021K)

Show me your Todd image folder user.

>all those shitty games
I guess calling you a fucking mong was right on the money. Go into your game and add fortify one handed to as many pieces of equipment as you can then come back and try to tell me that's not better than absolutely everything else, dumb twat

>2000 hours in a shit game
The absolute STATE of Skyfags

There's no glitching user, even without the chest trick you can do it in a normal playtrough, bethesda hasn't bothered to balance alchemy/enchanting and every single elder scrolls game has a buff stacking mechanic like that

Master of Magic, Magicka are up there I think

I have have east casted on my most of the time anyway

>No one mentioned DA:O
Plebs

Right here, user.

>I guess calling you a fucking mong was right on the money.
Every time you do, you further discredit yourself because you keep using personal insults in place of an argument.
>Go into your game and add fortify one handed to as many pieces of equipment as you can then come back and try to tell me that's not better than absolutely everything else, dumb twat
By the time I reinstall the game and all the patches needed, this thread would be gone, this is your last hope for winning an anonymous internet argument.

If you're making enchantments that can 1-2 shot dragons, then you're either glitching the game or playing a pirated copy from release.

Attached: todd folder needs cleaning.png (3200x900, 1.19M)

Someone please screencap this sperglord. It needs to be a reminder to never trust bethesda shills ever. You've done a great job discrediting everyone who has high hopes for ESO or pretty much any bethesda game

>Someone please screencap this sperglord. It needs to be a reminder to never trust bethesda shills ever.
Yeah I can see how losing an argument would make you want that.

Next time, stick to facts.
>ou've done a great job discrediting everyone who has high hopes for ESO or pretty much any bethesda game
>high hopes for ESO
Nigger that came out five years ago and it didn't have anything to do with Bethesda beyond being sculpted after their game series.

And in fact, it not being by Bethesda is probably how it eventually became a decent game from what I've heard, if it was made by bethesda then it would still be shit.

>By the time I reinstall the game and all the patches needed, this thread would be gone, this is your last hope for winning an anonymous internet argument.

How in the fuck could someone play Skyrim for 2000 hours and never figure this out? I didn't even need a fucking guide.

Attached: 1483546052476.gif (270x138, 1.71M)

Are you done being such a massive faggot

Attached: 1553010977295.jpg (700x700, 35K)

>PLEASE SAY I'M RIGHT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
You're wrong.

Never gonna happen, I'm gonna keep on posting because it infuriates you to no end, the sheer fact that I know a subject you pretend to know just ruins your fucking day.

And you wanna know what?
Skyrim is the worst of the FP TES games, I never said it was good, this entire argument started because you started spouting bullshit.

Attached: 1437969030208.jpg (819x1062, 409K)

It''s pretty fun, if not a little repetitive

What games have the best clerics?

>PLEASE SAY I'M RIGHT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

youtube.com/watch?v=gfJkZ2GyW8A

There are countless videos out there, retard.

>he can still only post glitch videos
>has zero evidence himself
>even though one user(possibly him) said he had the game installed and did it today

Attached: 8Yvukjo.png (170x216, 66K)

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=122671215

This build has been known since launch. Do you live under a rock? You don't even need glitches to do 300 - 500 dmg per swing.

SMT has the best names

Attached: 921FD215-12FB-4978-A05C-08F01046D7A5.jpg (256x276, 23K)

>names
?

I'd say Baldurs Gate
Ideally dualclassed or multiclassed.

Magicka

>Might check out Magicka
Note: It's NOT a game for low-APM babbys who are used to pressing only 1 or 2 buttons at a time.

>Note: It's NOT a game for low-APM babbys who are used to pressing only 1 or 2 buttons at a time.
I think it eases you into it fairly well.
Like for starts you might play pretty slow, you'll find a nice beam combo, but eventually you'll move past the beam because it's so sluggish compared to many of the other fast moves you can do.
It's not like you being slow stops you from playing the game, just keeps you from mastering it.

It's a good thing I'm not a low APM baby then, this just wants to make me play it more

>It's not like you being slow stops you from playing the game, just keeps you from mastering it.
True, I suppose. But the game kicks your ass pretty hard if you potato it and fumble your keys in the middle of combat.

>not spamming return to desktop at the slightest sign of adversity
Go ahead, ask me how I know you're bad.

You will never type qrqreas faster in your entire life. Good luck user!

>118 posts
>still not a shred of proof
>it's all just your word

Attached: 1456363581555.png (1000x671, 533K)

Oblivion has great magic, but you have to invest in it. Choose a birthsign and race that increase magicka. If you make a sword and board fighter and start tossing flares at zombies halfway through the game, you’ll think magic sucks dick.
You really become OP when you get a bunch of +50 magicka digit stones in your equipment. Then you can OHKO just about anything, command just about anything to fight for you, make yourself fast enough to run across the map in no time, make enemies topple onto the floor and never get up, and all sorts of other goofy nonsense.

Not him but
>Maragidyne
>Tetrakarn
>Megidolaon
>Makajama
>Marin Karin
>Ziodyne
>Gigajama
Good shit.

This thread only makes me angry again at how basically the entirety of the next Elder Scrolls game has to be about nothing BUT magic in order to make up for the misery that was playing a mage in Skyrim, and the reward for the magic questline in it has to be the Eye of Eternal Raping that instakills everything and makes a qt Flame Atronach suck your cock to make up for the fact of how the Staff of Magnus in Skyrim was ABSOLUTELY GARBAGE and finishing Winterhold gives you NOTHING.

Ahh right. They are pretty cool

SMT and Final Fantasy-style spellnames > Baldur's Gate-style "Rockfort's Intangible Pole" nonsense.
Not to imply that classic western RPGs can't have good spell names though, like, what's it called? Chromatic Orb? I just really don't like the structure of "X's Y of Z"

I go qrqeas

I started playing it with maybe like 6 different friends, at one point I was duo'ing with a friend I hadn't played with in a while, and I was qrqeas'ing so fast he had to ask if I was using a macro

Last I played it was a couple of days ago, with my nephew in my lap, I let him shout what I should use
>"FIRE"
>"FIRE AND LIGHTNING"
etc

>not having boulders lobbed at you
s- sounds pretty weaksauce user

Attached: 1523909449913.png (633x758, 440K)

>Lichdom: Battlemage
One of the worst games I've ever played.
It's buggy, runs like shit, slow moving speed, can only equip 3 spells at a time, spell crafting is a fucking mess and the story is shit.
I couldn't finish it and I've finished plenty of terrible games in the hopes that they would get good at some point. The game is AIDS, avoid at all costs.

Vancian magic is quite possibly the worst magic system ever created.

>Battle mage is an FPS but instead of bullets you just cast magic until people die.
Not him, but that's exactly what I wanted out of it. I couldn't quite figure out the whole spell customization thing, though. It's not explained very well.

I'm fond of some of the D&D classics. Mordenkaiden's Marvelous Mansion and Tasha's Hideous Laughter are fun to say.
They're not as great as stuff like Power Word Kill, Finger of Death, Baleful Polymorph, or Prismatic Spray, though.

Prismatic Spray is pretty damn cool, and also sounds like it may be a sex act

Attached: magic.webm (854x480, 2.99M)

How good is Outward? Deciding between it or Lobotomy Corp after I beat Sekiro

My favorite mage hunters are magicless assholes who figured out how to steal magic from mages.

this would make for a really comfy game if only a vidya writer could avoid cliched shit like "you have to fight God" "the enemy destroys your entire headquarters" "your organisation splits into two and has a civil war" etc., and use ordinary narrative tension like an actual writer would

e.g. you're just one reasonably competent soldier in an army of thousands of reasonably competent soldiers, the consequences of failure are things like dead subordinates and your boss yelling at you rather than saving the president, outside of fights with mages the setting is low-fantasy with maaaaybe some divine miracles, and hunting down mages is closer to finding and raiding meth labs than a full-scale war

And speaking of spell names, not sure if it counts due to psychic powers, but TWEWY had some pretty fun pin names.
>Fiery Spirit, Spirited Fire
>Flames Afar, Foes Aflame
>Final Pyre, All Expired
>Blue Blood Burns Blue

Came here to post this. Glad to see it.

Dragon's Dogma

All the best wizard spells are innuendos.
Shocking Grasp, Bigby's Grasping Hand, Dominate Person, Ball Lightning...
And that's not even getting into magic items like the Portable Hole and Rod of Lordly Might.

post spellbooks, wizards, magic and spells

Attached: magic.png (2592x2514, 1.19M)

Holy fuck how have I never realized this before?

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 4K)

Attached: 239px-Guide_CC_drag_and_drop.jpg (239x200, 13K)

Mana or recharge/cooldown. Lately I've started to think the latter might be better. Mana systems can easily lead to situations where you end up with effectively infinite mana due to overabundance of potions, so it completely loses effectiveness as a balancing mechanism.

>I just really don't like the structure of "X's Y of Z"
Those spells were invented by specific wizard so I don't really see the issue of it.
Powerful wizards creating new ways of casting spells, writing it down, and then people use those notes and copy the spell and use the name.

Divinity is superior simply for not being Vancian like all the others.

>worse than morrowind but better than skyrim
Funny, I'd say the opposite. Better than Morrowind, worse than Skyrim. Mind you, I'm talking about the mechanics of casting magic, not the spells. Skyrim is the worst for spells, in terms of quantity, variety, and effectiveness. But no one in their right mind plays Skyrim without a perk mod, and when you add some spell mods on top of that, you get some really good magic. I prefer Skyrim's "magic as weapons in your hands" over Oblivion's "magic as a side power" and Morrowind's system, which is basically just a worse version of Skyrim's.

Shut the fuck up, you esl tourist.

>Dragon's Dogma doesn't exactly have an in-depth magic system but it does have one of the most satisfying ones.
I didn't really find that to be the case, at least not as a sorcerer, where most of the time you're just standing still charging spells, and the big impressive spells are hard to aim (or in the case of the meteor spell, impossible to aim).

Attached: still00.png (1920x1080, 864K)

Dragon's Dogma

>casting error special magic to erase randomly everyone on screen
>kill all my buddies in the process
>user revive us for fuck sake
>proside with error spell and erase myself
>game over
it was the best

>Chakram shit
You sure you didn't mean "chakra"?

Attached: Xena with chakram.jpg (1000x753, 112K)

if you didn't play Dark Messiah Might and Magic multiplayer as fire or thunder wizard you don't know the joy of infinite power

>fuck witches
That's my dream.

>tfw no witch gf to enchant your dick

Attached: mercy.jpg (696x599, 43K)

Phenderix and Colorful Magic aren't bad either.

Dragon: Marked for Death has a pretty cool magic system

Nehrim is kind of like that.

>that gif
Garfield vs the Ring of the Lucii?

Attached: ffxvNoctis.png (1279x718, 1.32M)

You know what I wish more games had? Cool and effective staves. Most games don't make very good use of staves.

Attached: HobbitStaffSarumana2.jpg (1500x1544, 174K)

another nigger with high skyrim hours here.
Can't show hours due to it being limited to vanilla 360, but magic in skyrim isn't shallow, nor is it deep. You're both pretty wrong.

Destruction magic was always retarded and so inevitably pointless you had to engage in runescape-tier grinding to get it high enough to get the super neat AOE spells - alongside this, I'd argue that Illusion would be a proper replacement against the destruction magic skill, as its use is varied and interesting at a glance, but will always result in you running around casting calm on everything and walking through a dungeon - or simply sneaking behind a calm enemy and attacking them with a dagger. It's fun, but it really is just waiting for your magic to recharge and then casting calm on something, since fear didn't really get accessible by the time you can use it, since the updated versions that target higher lvls appear far later. Could be thinking of frenzy, however. Never really used it too much.
Alongside all of this again, I did sperg out and do a slight-rp playthrough just to see how it'd fare, limiting myself to relying on others to fight for me and using illusion+illusion robs to buff followers and healing them. I eventually incorporated a large sum of maces I would forge calling "The Fuckstick" mk. 1, 2, etc. to fill in blanks when needed. It was probably a mistake, because that sprinting melee attack was my jam. However, it really wasn't a viable strategy, either. I was interested in the buffing and healing, but the buff is overall ignorable at some low levels and they can be rushdowned as well and sever their short-range heal connection, causing you to reposition so you don't heal a bandit.
Conjuration was a meme, I genuinely took the time on a brand-new high elf to get it to 100 ASAP by kiting an ice cougar around that reincarnation-power once-per-day stone.
Besides, ES combat's always been about getting overpowered, same with all their games. Nothing special.

>magic as weapons in your hands
I don't think I like that as much because the idea of "dual-wielding magic" is ridiculous.

Dragon's Dogma's magic isn't as fun in practice as it looks in that video.

To top this off, high level illusion magic always felt like more of a gimmick to me, handed to the player to make them feel like an evil wizard or something. It really feels like the exact power an edgelord DM would describe an evil wizard with in a campaign.
You can just cast a spell in town square to create chaos, you can cast a spell from hiding to calm the room, enrage everyone, or buff a large swath of allies for 10 minutes. They all sound neat, but overall never saw any practical use from me. I'd honestly say that Mass Paralysis is more useful (and funny), but that's Alteration.

I enjoy a lot D&D spell naming, specially the simpler ones on end-tier spells. Power word: Kill has a strong feel to it, same with stuff like Finger of Death, Time Stop or Meteor Swarm.
Every time I play stuff like FF or DQ their style of naming stuff like Fire 3 or Kazing feels lacking to me. But FF stays strong with some names like Ultima.

I think PoE had a nice system in theory for staves being good for casters, while in d2 staff use relied on specific attributes to staffs rather than the inherent values of a staff.
In PoE items have sockets, more linked sockets in an item lets you have more powerful abilities, since you can add more passive effects to your active spells.
Shields and 1h were capped at 3 sockets, while armors and 2h were capped at 6.
So a caster with a staff could use a staff to utilize more effective linked sockets.

I'm not sure how it's in the latest meta though, what items are good or not, but the system in theory supported a reason for why a wizard would want a staff.

>ctrl+f "skyrim" 39 results
>ctrl+f "divinity" 2 results

Destroy this fucking board.

Attached: schnozz.png (1329x1330, 539K)

A lot of those results are us bitching about Skyrim and that one autist with 2000 hours trying to defend his shit game.

>Baldur's Gate 2.
Why is D&D style magic so much better than the usual video game magic?

>Modern games
>shoot some tiny projectiles (piff) to do a little damage
>maybe throw a weak-ass fireball, have to use a bunch of them to kill any enemy
>cause an aura around an enemy to "make them disoriented" (slightly weaker? who knows)

BG2 magic
>become immune to all fucking forms of damage
>teleport your enemy miles below the earth
>make your opponent permanently brain dead

Is the secret just not caring about balance?

There's still plenty of games with strong magic or magic like abilities like Pathfinder or Underrail.

>Underrail
Game irked me the wrong way by limiting the rate at which I could grow skills. Maybe I'll try it again one of these days.

Balance in general for RPGs is a meme. All playstyles should be designed in such a way that endgame abilities and spells and equipment just tear the difficulty in half.

>Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2
DivOS1 has a very overpowered magic and CC that enables you to relentlessly disable everything on a battlefield
It's significantly nerfed in 2 thanks to the introduction of shield system which disables most magic effects on your enemies, quite a retarded change.
>Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2
Garbage. Probably the most uninteresting magic i've seen out of any party based CRPG in years.
>Icewind Dale 1 and 2
Less fun BG2 magic-wise. No Time Stop + Alaclarity funtimes for example.
>Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Probably the best modern CRPG if you want to play as a mage.
Includes being able to turn into a giant spellcasting dragon with infinite dragon breath.
>Planescape: Torment
Primitive but extremely fucking flashy. There's special thanks to FF7 and 8 in the credits, they literally took inspiration from summon animations for the highest tier magic spells. Symbol of Torment is literally Hades summon.