Honestly, which one is more overrated, just in general and within their own franchise

Honestly, which one is more overrated, just in general and within their own franchise.

Attached: image.jpg (1200x466, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ge5EbIJD1OE
youtu.be/HfWzVdPwBpY?t=2m53s
youtu.be/XHJuFhcRICE?t=2m40s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

final fantasy vii is actual trash so that one.

OoT is more overrated. I rarely see people talking about FF7 on Yea Forums, it's only gamefaqs that I see people wank that game off. OoT however is fucking constantly jerked off by every faggot.

OOT is a masterpiece & I didn’t even grow up with it. FF7 is properly rated since critics have been shitting on it since FF9 came out

OoT is not a masterpiece. It's a bare bones empty open world with soulless dungeons full of tacked on gimmicks.

T. Zoomer who didn’t even play it, literally parroting EgoRaptor word for word

As much as I like FF7 it is overrated. On the other hand, there has yet to ve a better Zelda game than OoT.

Ocarina pretty easily. FF7 at least still has an interesting narrative despite its ridiculousness and the material system is still cool. Ocarina doesn't really play that well to me anymore and everything else is just not that amazing

FF7
If a game's gameplay is that weak it doesn't deserve to be called a 10/10 or even close to one.

It’s so easy to spot people who didn’t even fucking play OOT

What makes the gameplay weak?

based ddd

The only thing I didn't like about ff7 is that once it gives you the world map it doesn't really give you much of a starting reference on what you're meant to do.

you're on crack, have you forgot about Wind Waker? Majora's Mask? A link to the past

it's just grinding and pressing X on the menu to attack, same thing with most other JRPGs. Doesn't require the player to think critically or develop skill to progress like video games should.

>JRPG
>user's jimmies were Rustled

>Doesn't require the player to think critically or develop skill to progress like video games should.
ocarina of time doesnt either,what's the difference?

neither is overrated in the context of their release you dumb zoomer. FF7 was absolutely ground breaking for its day with the cutscenes and cloud being probably the first unreliable narrator in a video game. OoT is equally groundbreaking for taking a beloved series like zelda into the next dimension with incredible execution.

get fucked

what

Have you played the game? Tell me you were able to solve every puzzle without using your brain once or developing knowledge about how each item works.

I love both of these games.

Attached: 1472093171167.gif (500x333, 1006K)

OoT wasn't challenging cause I was able to finish it in the 5th grade, it's not like it needed a walk thorugh or guide

youtube.com/watch?v=Ge5EbIJD1OE

There's nothing cool about your character sliding on surfaces because of dumb momentum. Ocarina is a good game but it's shitty in a lot of factors especially in the way your character feels simply moving, let alone every action that isn't done while in locked on mode

If we really have to have this tired old debate again, instead of asking which one is more overrated, why don't you ask which one is better? Why do you have to frame it in a negative way? Oh right, because clickbait.

Point is at least it has some kind of challenge. FF7 is mindless and barely requires any input from the player, might as well just watch a movie or read a book.

the only time you dont know what to do is a wild guess,like most of the water temple,slog through and through with the water raising flute shit

>Doesn't require the player to think critically or develop skill to progress like video games should.
Ocarina does? Or do you think looking for items to progress is critical thinking?

Calm down, Mac.

I'm 27. I did play OoT to completion. These are my own opinions that I arrived at after playing the game. It doesn't matter if some e celeb made a video shitting on this game years ago said something similar. If a product has flaws, generally all criticism is going to be pointing out the same flaws. You fucking retard.

Oh its another retard who thinks if its action, its harder.
I bet you think apehoop is harder than chess

>looking for items to progress
Are you sure you played the game? You don't have to search for items, you use the items in your inventory that were given for you and choose which one you should use in each situation.

>you don't like my favorite game
>you just must have never played it

It's so easy to spot seething brainlets. OoT is shit.

(not him) "egoraptor" is just another word for "wrong" on Yea Forums. I get accused of being him or watching him or getting my opinions from him all the time, and I don't even know who he is.

>find the key, use the key
>find the tool, use the tool
>get the song, use the song

Its a checklist game

"overrated" is a boring discussion topic, it doesn't even concern the actual value of the thing you're talking abot, just people's opinions of it. Who gives a fuck about that?

What are its flaws then?
Only one I can think of off the top of my head is the framerate.
It's possible for a JRPG to have difficulty and require skill to win each battle, for example Pokemon battles against other players requires you to think about which attack to use and what you think the opponent will do next. FF7 doesn't have many options when all you need to do is press the attack button.

I don't myself ever going a playing FF7 again, I consider playing Ocarina of Time every now and then. Ocarina of Time is more definitely more overrated. For FF7 only the switch port and remake that even had people actually talking about it again. If skyward sword didn't exist or had simply had functional controls it would be the worst 3D zelda.

Nice "try" EgoRaptor

Neither. Both are landmark games. If you didn't play them when they first came out, you'll never understand why they are so special.

>What are its flaws then?

I just literally pointed some of them out and you accused me of being egoraptor. You aren't ready for a proper argument.

All the puzzles are really easy and basic, and aren't even worthy of being called puzzles. Pushing a block into a hole, or pushing a statue onto a switch, or shooting a switch with an arrow - All of these things are obvious things you need to do in order to progress. It's simply a matter of seeing things you need to interact with in the room and carrying out the process. It requires no thinking, so it's not a real puzzle.

Both are good

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 142K)

Actually, taking in the context and year of release, both were bad titles. You know how Fortnight is really popular right now despite there being many much better games released around the same time. Well it was the same with OOT and FF7. Both were just hyped up cinematic movie games for casuals. 1997 and 1998 were amazing years for gaming, to say those two turds were the peak of those years is a huge disservice to all the actual good titles released in those two years.

Cope more you fucking zoomer

Attached: DefinitiveGamingGOATs.jpg (1908x1223, 3.6M)

>FF7 is mindless and barely requires any input from the player
Demons Gate, Emerald Weapon, and Ruby Weapon are all harder than anything in OoT. I'll bet you didn't even beat the game, didn't do the optional bosses, and you didn't play on ATB.

Jesus Christ people it’s not like OOT is the paragon of human art, not everyone over the age of 25 is going to like it. I doubt anyone over the age of 60 would like it, so calm down. There are masterpieces outside of video games to get mad over, OOT is just a game after all its not like it’s respected by scholars world wide or something.

It’s just a game, someone not liking it has nothing to do with their mental age or intellectual ability.

Most people are extremely stupid and under educated, so naturally every "best of" list will include a lot of fucking garbage on it.

Shit always floats upwards.

You could put any game into a barebones list like that, you're excluding the player input where you have to think about what to do with the items and where to use them based on visual clues and previous events in the game.
I didn't accuse you of being egoraptor that was a different poster. You said it's a barebones empty open world with soulless dungeons, I'd say it's the exact opposite of an empty open world. It's a very small space with each location being fairly close to each other, and there are specific objectives so I wouldn't even call it open world. BOTW is a much wider open world with plenty of emptiness.
In response to the dungeons being soulless I don't know where you came up with that because each dungeon is bursting with soul in my opinion, the music and atmosphere gives each one a distinct feel.
Again you're saying this in the most barebones way you can. There are usually events that lead up to you pushing a statue onto a switch, maybe you saw a statue in another room that was ontop of the switch so you knew they could push them down. If you weren't paying attention then it might take you a while to realize that you could push statues.

I fucking love OoT but it is overrated in general, I imagine it's not that amazing if you don't have nostalgia for it. It is one of the better games in its franchise though.
FF7 good as well but is overrated in its franchise. It is honest to god no better or worse than almost every other entry, and most people only "LOVE" it because it was their first and it's "popular" to love it. It didn't bring much to the table other than being 3d.

Ocarina of Time. Most FFVII fans have come to accept that the game doesn't hold up very well. OoT fans start spazzing out like an autistic child without his medication if you dare criticize it.

Seething

FF7
and I'm a much bigger fan of FF comapred to the Zelda franchise

How would you know what is good if you're also retarded?

>Again you're saying this in the most barebones way you can.
What do you mean by that?
>There are usually events that lead up to you pushing a statue onto a switch
You speak as if pushing a statue onto a switch is some kind of big event. No it's an obvious thing to begin with, and once you do it once, you know to look out for that concept.
>maybe you saw a statue in another room that was ontop of the switch so you knew they could push them down. If you weren't paying attention then it might take you a while to realize that you could push statues.
That doesn't happen in the game, and if it does, it's irrelevant because the first time you push a block is in the Deku Tree, and that's right at the beginning of the game. Then in the very next dungeon, you have to push a statue onto a switch to unbar the door. This is a recurring thing throughout the game, and it's never something that requires any thought.

Both of these games are the absolute worst pieces of shit to ever disgrace humanity. Everyone involved in working on either of them should be dragged out of bed and executed by firing squad.

both are the best 3D games of their series

Honestly OoT.
Most people don't understand what makes FFVII good so in a sense it's actually underrated.

You're arguing for the sake of arguing and grasping at straws, you dense fuck.

OoT is absolute dogshit
FF7 is the best game ever made

FF7 EASILY. OoT for all the memes and points against it, did sort of introduce a lot of modern concepts that have been widely adapted by third person action games after it. Z-targeting alone at the time was a tremendously huge deal. FF7 isn’t even the best Final Fantasy from that era. The only reason people remember it so fondly is the great music and the surprising permadeath of a regular party member. Most people who experienced that were young kids at the time and it was their first real narrative exposure to that in a video game. FF7 really didn’t do much else special besides that and graphically impressive (for the time) cutscenes.

No, I'm making specific and valid points and triggering you into cognitive dissonance.

>What do you mean by that?
You're leaving out the thinking that has to be done by the player and only stating things that need to be done as if you're reading a walkthrough, not actually figuring out how to do the things on your own.
>the first time you push a block is in the Deku Tree
A block is different from a statue. It's the same mechanics but you don't understand the visual clue that you're able to push a statue like a block until you see it for the first time. After that it's easy to remember but you're constantly being given new concepts in each dungeon and more visual clues to learn.

>I didn't accuse you of being egoraptor that was a different poster.

Oh okay. Well here are my reasons. In regards to an open world being empty or too large, it has to do with how fast and fun your travel speed is, and how often you have to traverse areas and backtrack. In OoT you don't get the horse until later in the game, so a lot of the time you have to run across the field which is slow as fuck. I know you can do that backflip method thing as well but it's barely any better. Every time I went to Hyrule Field it felt like I had to do a chore to cross the fucking thing to the next area. Now I will agree that some of the smaller areas of the overworld were neat to explore. In fact I enjoyed them much more than the dungeons. I actually really hated the dungeons and they felt like an absolute slog. And whenever I got up to one I would not play the game for days, sometimes a week at a time just procrastinating because I'd have to slog through another one of those soulless messes. Tiny fucking rooms, constant doors and loading. Constant stupid cutscenes telling me obvious shit like location of doors, buttons, chests etc. The puzzles were all braindead and each one revolved around the latest gimmick item, that would only ever be useful in that one dungeon most of the time, and you rarely used it again. The game felt so disjointed because of this. I felt like instead of really mastering the core mechanics, the game just handed you another gimmick to distract you instead, but I guess the core mechanics were pretty barebones too. Only 2 times I think was I really put in a place where I had to challenge myself with getting better, with some armored enemies. Ironically the dungeon I enjoyed was the water temple that everyone hates, but that is because I love it when games incorporate verticality and height levels into game mechanics and maps. And I played the original N64 version as well not the 3DS version which apparently fixes it.

FF7 is more overrated. It has the better story and characters, but rides purely on visuals and dumbass minigames after Disk One.

OoT has the more obnoxious fans, though.

You seem to be pretty fucking confused about where you are

Attached: 1552832964133m.jpg (427x1024, 65K)

You're really not, but that user will probably keep blowing you the fuck out anyway, so have fun

>You're leaving out the thinking that has to be done by the player and only stating things that need to be done as if you're reading a walkthrough, not actually figuring out how to do the things on your own.
It's actually the total opposite. You're saying some great amount of thinking has to be done for something which in fact requires none.
>A block is different from a statue.
Because you can push one thing, you might be able to push other things. That's not a hard thing to figure out, but you have to pretend like it is in order to be able to defend the position that OoT has good puzzles.

OoT EASILY. FF7 for all the memes and points against it, did sort of introduce a lot of modern concepts that have been widely adapted by role playing games after it. Cinematics alone at the time was a tremendously huge deal. OoT isn’t even the best Zelda from that era. The only reason people remember it so fondly is the great music and the surprising time travel of the main character. Most people who experienced that were young kids at the time and it was their first real narrative exposure to that in a video game. OoT really didn’t do much else special besides that and mechanically impressive (for the time) gameplay.

This is how retarded you sound.

I love OoT much more just for the sheer fact that it makes other anons seethe with envy

Attached: 1553824532171.jpg (500x470, 78K)

Ok. You're dumb.

This, to this day it’s never been listed on any overrated games list from a majpr publication. Contrarians are just seething with desperation & try hard to convince themselves that everyone else is just “pretending” to think a game is good

>Best storylines
>Ocarina
I like the game, but come on. OoT barely has a story.

Nice shit taste faggot

"overrated" aka "popular thing that I don't personally like"

Attached: Dorks.gif (500x500, 403K)

Final Fantasy VII. OoT actually contributed meaningfully to the growth and betterment of 3D game development. Nothing against FF7, it's just that it's mostly renowned for being a sound execution on ideas that the franchise had already explored for the most part with a few tweaks. Good game, just not a terribly groundbreaking one. Modern 3D action games actually owe something to OoT's rudimentary but sound combat designs.

Play it again you fucking retard

You'd really have to have your head far up your own ass to not admit that these 2 games are overrated. I love them and I think they are overrated.

From today's viewpoint neither ff7 nor oot are that enjoyable. The novelty of those games were huge on release, because vidja was just that much younger and less developed. Someone who's played more recent vidja and not those may very well find them to be unplayable games, and not due to being a casual but because they've already seen games like it but much further developed and refined a million times already. By today's standards they're not very good games.

>didn't get the point that either way that paragraph is a weak statement, almost to the point of sounding like it came from an illiterate.
>thinks I think one game is more overrated than the other
Not only do you sound retarded, but you lack deductive skills and the ability to detect satire like a retard.

No one really cares though. Everyone knows all publications official lists are shilling and shit taste from a casual. It's just an endless feedback loop as well.

>we need to shill X progressive game
>but we also need the list to look legit
>throw in 2-3 classic "respected titles" that people keep talking about on forums

And that's how you end up with lists like this

10. Mass Effect 2
9. Grand Theft Auto 5
8. Undertale
7. Bioshock
6. Super Mario 64
5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4. Gone Home
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. The Last of Us Part 2
1. Super Mario Brothers

Cope more, they are objectively masterpieces you are just crying because you Never played them & judge them solely based on gameplay footage & what E-Celebs tell you

oot's story is in line with avengers endgame,time travel (which creates shit plotholes) because villain fucks up shit,that's it,the only difference is that link is an infinity stone himself because lols

> Bbbbut doesn’t count, those games aren’t good & people are all wrong
Seeething & coping in denial

user I was not speaking for myself. I enjoyed ff7 and oot very much (though I doubt I'll ever go back and replay them for anything short of satisfying nostalgic urges). Regardless, they're still games by today's standards. This is an objective fact.

I tell you that I loved them both. Your response: Lol no u fake, u cry u never played them.
Gatekeeping much?
Game can be a great and still be overrated you mongoloid.

The war has started.
Thank you OP for turning zelda fangirls agains Final fantsy virgins

What makes OoT special is that it's one of the earliest 3D games to actually stand the test of time. Simple, yes, but many of its mechanics and ideas are still foundational in modern game design. The games of today have not grown so far from OoT as to render it unplayable. Its biggest hurdle is the framerate and the 3DS version fixes that.

Neither, both are fantastic and the best in their series’

bad games by today's standards* great now I look stupid

Mostly valid points but I wouldn't say the puzzles are all braindead. The cutscenes telling you where things are were a necessity, otherwise it would be like cryptic 80's dungeon crawlers where you don't know where the fuck to go. OOT still has that problem sometimes but it's mostly based on the player not paying attention or missing something. I doubt you played through the whole game without being stuck on any part for at least 5 minutes because something that you had to do wasn't obvious.
>each one revolved around the latest gimmick item, that would only ever be useful in that one dungeon most of the time
I think all of the items required you to use it at some point after the dungeon if I recall correctly but the reason why they didn't incorporate them very often outside of the dungeons might have been to make the game feel less linear, instead of being a checklist that you follow it feels more like you're exploring each dungeon separately.
>Ironically the dungeon I enjoyed was the water temple that everyone hates
Nice it's actually my favorite dungeon too because of the verticality and the branching areas.
So you're saying you played through the whole game without having to stop and think once about what you're supposed to do?

Keep telling yourself that, nobody will ever acknowledge or agree with your opinion

You can say the exact same shit about ff7.

Can anyone explain to me why do so many people here focus on other people's opinion outside of Yea Forums. Metacritic, Top list, twitter, Reddit, whatever else and use it to justify their opinion whether its good or bad?

They are just like trannies, and need to spark fake outrage to make themselves feel important

social hivemind

It's just how it is man. The only thing that makes those games more special than a modern release doing the same shit is that you played those games first. Why do you think Halo went from being reviled to praised on this board? Why do you think people exist who say link to the past is better than OoT despite them being largely similar minus an added dimension? Don't be dense.

ALTTP is rated just as high as OOT you colassal faggot

FF7 was more overrated.

It was standard JRPG fare with a meh story.

Zelda OOT created a genre and set the gaming standard for that generation.

Definitely FF7.
It was just a regular FF game in 3d.

when you have a shit opinion alone,you're a retard,when you have a shit opinion someone also does,you have a point,outsourcing an opinion to Yea Forums is the only way they have to cope up with their shit opinion

Is it? P sure that's been an ongoing argument since the dawn of time which of the two Zelda games are better. People get pretty polarized aboit it to, to the point where they dismiss the game they don't like as trash. How old are you again? You don't seem to have a comprehensive understanding of vidja and vidja discussion over time.

To an extent, sure. FF7 didn't do a lot special that FF4 didn't already accomplish, though. OoT still has better level design than many of today's modern cinematic action adventures, and you still see some games of repute that do combat worse, Vampyr being a particularly notable recent example.

FF7 holds up much better than OoT

zelda. It is just a waste while FF7 does more for the industry.

It used to piss me off until Breath of the Wild came out and made Zelda games good again.

You can STILL say the same shit. OoT wouldn't exist without all the design ques from ALttP. All OoT added was a 3D world, if you want to he a reductionist. This thread is retarded, like overratings can be fucking quantified for games everyone is nostalgic about lmao.

Yes
> Highest Rated Games
> 1. Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo) (372)
> 2. Chrono Trigger (SquareSoft) (358)
> 3. Zelda: Breath of The Wild (Nintendo) (302)
> 4. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo) (275)
> 5. Zelda: A Link To The Past (Nintendo) (272)
> 6. Super Metroid (Nintendo) (266)
> 7. Super Mario World (Nintendo) (262)
> 8. Final Fantasy VII (SquareSoft) (259)
> 9. Final Fantasy VI (SquareSoft) (256)
> 10. Super Mario Bros 3 (Nintendo) (256)
> 11. Resident Evil 4 (Capcom (256)
> 12. Metal Gear Solid Konami) (255)
> 13. SoulCalibur (Namco) (254)
> 14. Street Fighter II (1991, Capcom) (252) (SNES)
> 15. Metroid Prime (2002, Nintendo) (246) (GameCube)
> 16. GoldenEye 007 (1997, Nintendo) (246) (N64)
> 17. Half-Life 2 (2004, Valve Corporation) (246) (PC)
> 18. Castlevania: SOTN (1997, Konami) (245) (PS1)
> 19. The Legend of Zelda (1985, Nintendo) (242) (NES)
> 20. Super Smash Bros Melee (2001, Nintendo) (241) (GameCube)
> 21. Tetris (1989, Nintendo) (240) (GameBoy)
> 22. Shadow Of The Colossus (2005, Team Ico) (237)
> 23. Bioshock (2007, Irrational Games) (236)
> 24. Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo) (234)
> 25. Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000, Nintendo) (232)

FF7

>Can anyone explain to me why do so many people here focus on other people's opinion outside of Yea Forums.
There are two types of people here
People who take it seriously and live by the words of everyone else to justify their console.
And people who use reviews and opinions to make the first group angry.

OoT is almost unplayable though it's so bad.

Ad there are plenty of 3D games from before OoT that standup very well today. I actually don't play many modern games, and mainly go back and play old 90's and early 2000's games, in fact I've spent the last 7 years pretty much exclusively retro gaming. And I can say that 9 times out of 10, old games actually hold up better than most new titles. OoT is one of the only cases of an old game actually being unplayable bad because of how much it aged.

Here are some games I've played that were released at the same time as OoT, or released earlier than OoT that are 3D and hold up better than OoT. (Yes, every single game I list is better than OoT and most older than it).

Half Life 1
SiN
Star Wars Dark Forces 2 (and Mysteries of the Sith expansion)
Thief The Dark Project
Turok 2
Spyro the Dragon
Tomb Raider 1, 2 & 3
Quake 2 (and it's expansion packs)
Quake 1 (and it's expansion packs)
Crash Bandicoot 3
Grim Fandango
Tenchi
Freespace
Tekken 3
Medieval
SHOGO Mobile Armored Division
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
MGS1
Banjo Kazooie
Duke Nuken 3D
Blood
Shadow Warrior
Gran Turismo
Destruction Derby 2
Tribes
Rainbow Six
Dungeon Keeper
Strife
Star Wars Dark Forces
Unreal

>What are its flaws then?
All the waiting. Absolutely infuriating

>Tomb Raider 1, 2 & 3
And you're trying to say OoT is unplayable?

and yet they have chosen OoT as better. also
>one best of list that some literal who wrote chock full of Zeldas is a comprehensive review of the entire gaming populations' thoughts

OoT added competent 3D close combat mechanics that still act as the foundation for 3D action games today. Before OoT, shit like King's Field was representative ot 3D close combat. FF7 was a major argument for cinematic storytelling in video games, but so was FF4.

inb4 OP is a butthurt zoomer

Attached: 12348570.jpg (600x443, 51K)

Name one 3D game that was like OoT at the time

Mystical Ninja Goemon.

Why do people even fall for this horrible bait
> 1. Zoomers who never played it & simply Parrot EgoRaptor
> 2. Contrarians that are jealous of it's acclaim & try to argue that literal who shit is better
> 3. Retards who couldn't get past the Water Temple
Literally the exact same people attack Ocarina of Time every single time.

Nobody knew what King's Field was until way after Demon's Souls and there were a shitload of 3D games doing action melee combat at the time. Consider doing research before making such bold claims.

SoulCalibur since it was the only game that got 10/10s from every single outlet at the time, nothing else even came close

user, MediEvil is one of my all time favorite games. I actually put it above OoT on a personal level but you cannot tell me with a straight face that its gameplay is more refined than OoT. You can't.

That game is more like Super Mario 64

Okay man I like OoT too but calling a who's who list of great PC games "literal who" games is fucking painfully retarded.

Don't even fucking respond to these contrarians, notice how all of that is literal who garbage that never gets talked about?

I think 7 is more overrated out of those two, but within FF as a franchise 6 is more overrated than both 7 and OoT.

OoT is overrated and tied for most overrated in the series with BOTW

Seven was the peak of the series, and square has never topped it since. Zelda has only been getting better.

FF7 is pretty even with other entries at least and FF games aren't all that different from one another up to 12 or so. I don't even see much wanking over it on here.
OoT on the other hand, is grossly overrated compared to other titles in the series despite not having the quality to back it up and for whatever reason, this board can't shut up about it lately.

None of those games are ever talked about outside this board except Half-Life, Grim Fandango & MGS. You can cry all you want but there will never EVER be a game as widely regarded as OOT. It's universally considered the most influential game of all time behind Super Mario Bros

How many of them did it as well as OoT, though? I'm not saying it invented 3D close combat, just established the modern standard.

>ff7 has good looking cutscenes
youtu.be/HfWzVdPwBpY?t=2m53s
>b-b-but it looks good for it's time
youtu.be/XHJuFhcRICE?t=2m40s
that's no excuse when tomb raider 1 came out before ff7

Attached: 1554110933530.jpg (1457x1080, 83K)

Megaman Legends

what is FFIX, FFX and FFXIV
also Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess

Literal who garbage

Game devs knew about 3D combat for some time prior. What you're saying is OoT popularized it, which is true but has nothing to do with its merits as a game and everything to do with brand recognition, marketing, timing, clever planning, and maybe even a little luck.

The only problem with the controls is picking things up. Aside from that the origibal tomb raiders actually have pretty good controls.

OoT I found to be pretty boring.

Horrible attempt at coping, until another game gets this. It will continue to be Factually the Best game ever made, no game you can possibly mention is on the same level as Ocarina of Time

Attached: GOAT FOREVER.png (321x302, 14K)

Which is part of why you might call it overrated?

Both games are overrated because they are blinded by nostalgia.

I never played OoT as a kid and a few years ago I tried it and it was underwhelming.

No, because Overrated is a meaningless buzzword that contrarians use to justify their hatred of popular games. It's objectively a masterpiece, same with FF7 & Chrono Trigger

I'll acknowledge that predecessors exist, for example Tomb Raider and Megaman Legends did lock-on before OoT did. Neither of those games did it as well, though. That's what I'm getting at, OoT consolidated existing ideas into a gold standard that, though considerably refined a couple decades later, are still copied today.

Ok, name one.

"Game devs knew about 3d combat" wtf does that even mean

Oh fuck off Eric.

Any game in the first row of this picture is roughly as acclaimed as OOT

Attached: ThisTriggersZoomers.png (824x890, 1.58M)

>brags on awards when it's OoT
>likely demerits awards as pointless bullshit schemed up by shitty game journos when it's not OoT
Reminder we're talking about which game is more overrated. Comparing awards might be a good start. Nice thinking.

They're both good games, but VII isn't even the best PS1 Final Fantasy. IX's better but came out toward the end of the Playstation's console life and was overshadowed by Chrono Cross which came out at the same time.

OoT is still good though today, and many of it's conventions are still employed in current Zelda games, and fans keep harping on it, whenever a new game is too light hearted. I really appreciate that the 3DS did a remake of the game, but it was more graphical than what FF7 is doing, which I think many people would like to see more, but Nintendo would probably never attempt. Likewise people would like an actual sequel to OoT, which is what Majora's Mask gave us to a certain extent, yet never did more games set in that specific time frame. It strange though that A Link to the Past got so many related and connected games despite that OoT is more popular: A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, The Oracle Games, A Link Between Worlds, the new Switch remake of Link's Awakening, etc.

Attached: The_Legend_of_Zelda_Art_Artifacts_001_D_p039.jpg (1280x1707, 455K)

JRPGs are for the mentally ill. You might as well call lithium or antipsychotics masterpieces.

>one is sometimes considered the best JRPG of all times, but many consider Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Panzer Dragon Saga or few others instead
>the other is considered the "best game of all times, period" and say you're seething when you mention the flaws like the terrible framerate

gee, i wonder which one is more overrated

Zelda, when final fantasy releases a lame portable spinoff, it's a lame portable spinoff, when Zelda releases phantom hourtrack, it's "a masterpiece that defies expectations"

>half life
literally why? it's not even close any arena fps

And? Wtf does that have to do with 3d combat

>these games
>literally who

I want the Fortnight faggots to leave.