Melee got me interested in the earthbound series when i was young because of how fun ness was and the trophy...

>melee got me interested in the earthbound series when i was young because of how fun ness was and the trophy descriptions were interesting
>ultimate now has me invested in the castlevania series after learning to love simon
do any of you have similar stories of picking up interest in a series' represented in smash games? especially if you had zero prior interest in it beforehand

Attached: 4438495_0.jpg (630x630, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shmuplations.com/castlevania/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Smash is pretty much the reason anyone in the west gave a shit about Fire Emblem, and Metroid games sold like shit until Super Smash Bros.

was roy the star of one of the newer fire emblems at the time?

No his game hadn't came out yet.
Marth and Roy were originally going to be japanese exclusive characters.

Fucking zoomer learning about actually good games 30 years later

Fire Emblem hadn't released outside of japan yet. The interest from Melee was how the game after Roy's, Fire Emblem 7, got released in english as "Fire Emblem."
Fun fact: Roy's game wasn't even out when Melee released, and his concept art specifically mentions "Sma Bura" as why he was more colorful and kid-like in his final design. They redesigned him just for Smash.

>Smash is pretty much the reason anyone in the west gave a shit about Fire Emblem
I tried Fire Emblem long before Melee came out. Problem was back then, the roms were only partially translated. So I couldn't finish the games.

>and Metroid games sold like shit until Super Smash Bros.
The 2D games sold the same before and after Smash. The only Metroid games that sold more were the Prime games.

Nothing wrong with that as long as they learn eventually

Not many gave a shit about Castlevania until 2006 when AVGN started.

Smash Bros. taught me what exactly The Legend of Zelda was. I initially thought Link, who I saw on the cover and the back of the box, was Zelda, and when I saw the Hookshot I figured it was an actually cool series and not some Barbie stuff. From there I learned the protagonist is actually a guy called Link and what the premise of the series was, and I soon rented Ocarina of Time.

I also learned about Metroid, Kirby, and F-Zero from Smash, so it was an amazing gateway game.

zoomers didnt play melee as a kid

Played Earthbound after learning about emulation because of Smash and a Nintendo Power article.
Wanted to try Fire Emblem for a long ass time because of Smash, finally played Awakening and enjoyed it.
Played Rondo of Blood after Richter was revealed thanks to the Yea Forums threads.

thats amazing that the advertisement game made you buy other games

Adding more characters that play the sane doesn't make the gameplay better

>buy

Attached: nonlewdanimegirl.jpg (315x382, 34K)

>an advertisement for characters older than 30 years

>Fucking zoomer learning about actually good games 30 years later
Who cares as long as they play it, retard?

covered a lot of ground that I missed after 4's final direct, but it was stuff like path of radiance and xenoblade chronicles

>tfw pacman is about to be 40

>not many people gave a shit about one of the most popular series on NES and SNES until a youtube personality talked about it
No, the youtube personality talked about it because it was popular, dingus.

>one of the most popular series on NES and SNES
It really wasn't, though. They sell like shit in japan, and not many knew about it outside of the diehard NES fans.
Fucking Solid Snake was in the running to be in Melee but was turned down the last minute. Simon wasn't even a fart on the wind.

>Metroid games sold like shit until Super Smash Bros.

This is revisionist history. Metroid was much more popular in the pre-Smash days.

It got me into Metroid when I was losing interest in most other Nintendo IP's

Attached: samus_thumbs_up.gif (274x182, 922K)

When I got Smash 64 I hadn't heard of any of the non-Mario or non-Pokemon characters. Started playing Zelda, Kirby and Starfox on 64 cause of smash.

Had G&W Gallery as a kid so I actually knew who Mr G&W was, think I was the only kid in my school who had heard of him before Melee. It was cause of Melee I picked up FZero GX and thank god because that game fucking rules.

At this point I've played nearly every series with a character in Smash, though unlike when I was a kid Smash isn't the motivator anymore. I just get curious about certain games or series and a number of them end up in smash.

I think Xeno and Persona are the only series in smash I haven't played. Don't really plan on playing either but I might give SMT a shot at some point.

What the fuck is this nonsense?

>Metroid was much more popular in the pre-Smash days.
It was never popular pre-smash. It only had three games over the course of a the 13 years leading up to smash, and they didn't sell much.
For reference, the first F-Zero sold 2.8 million, whereas Metroid 1 only sold 2.7 million, Metroid 2 only 1.7 million, and Super Metroid only 1.4 million. And F-Zero at least had another game release a year before Smash 1.

That's because Kojima and Sakurai are pals. Kojima pitched Snake, not Konami.

You're both wrong. Sales figures are pretty consistently between one and two million for metroid games. Prime and the first game are the only ones to get close to three mill.

Smash hasn't had any significant effect on Metroid numbers.

i ended up getting splat2 because of ultimate so.

It got me interested in Mega Man

Do you honestly think people gave a shit about Metroid before Smash?
There's a reason Lara Croft was always The First Woman in Gaming instead of Samus.

>It really wasn't, though. They sell like shit in japan, and not many knew about it outside of the diehard NES fans.
The games sold 500k average, which was plenty good on the NES and SNES. And some broke a million. But more than that, there were dozens of Castlevania games. Everyone who was around in those days had tried at least one of them.

The only way you can think it wasn't popular is if you got into gaming during the PS2 or later. And think anything that sells less than GTA is a failure.

Yes?

>The games sold 500k average, which was plenty good on the NES and SNES.
Sub-million was shit on the NES. Don't kid yourself.

>For reference, the first F-Zero sold 2.8 million, whereas Metroid 1 only sold 2.7 million, Metroid 2 only 1.7 million, and Super Metroid only 1.4 million. And F-Zero at least had another game release a year before Smash 1.
A series selling over a million consistently is plenty popular. And then you confirm you're an idiot by trying to claim F-Zero only having two games released by the time Smash Bros came out is somehow better than Metroid which had three released by then.

>tfw learning about the f-zero cartoon

I can't recall the CV 1 sales at the moment, but Konami wasn't satisfied with the sales of the sequels. shmuplations.com/castlevania/

Smash got me into Metal Gear Solid

Attached: 1553724335052.png (368x368, 142K)

Metroid 1 on NES is the second best selling game in the series you silly dingdong

I always thought the stages and music connected to this character were really cool and though I played Ganondorf rather than him, I came to hate all the Pink Falcon meme faggots that showed up in droves during Smash 4 and felt the character deserved better.

Ended up playing all three "mainline" F-Zero titles and GX is now my favorite racing game period.

Attached: 275px-GX_Captain_Falcon.png (275x418, 85K)

Yes we did.
t. born in 2000