It's been almost 25 years since this game was released...

It's been almost 25 years since this game was released, and we still haven't got anything close to what this game achieves. The consistently good and diverse music, an actually well written story, the personality and soul of almost every single NPC, unique aesthetics, almost flawless gameplay mechanics, incredibly nostalgic atmosphere, all while remaining an accessible, innocent game for all ages that celebrates family and courage. When do you reckon we'll get something like this again, if ever?
>inb4 undertale
not even close, there's an obvious influence but that's it

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.u3.jpg (550x504, 58K)

Eh it's ok. 7/10

Graphics suck, undertale graphics are even worse. Seriously op what the fuck is wrong with you. 2d is shit why dont you just olay a fucking board game. Get a real game, like Iron Storm.

I know this is bait but I still got triggered. The fact that it achieved everything I mentioned and became a cult classic with the SNES's technical limitations and the small size of the team just makes it even more miraculous how exemplary of "games as an artform" it became

Absolutely based and patrician opinion user.

Even 3 fucked it up. The only hope is Itoi stops being despressed and remakes Earthbound Zero.

I'm pretty sure Itoi stopped making games because both Earthbound and Mother 3 had pure development hells.

>It's been almost 25 years since this game was released, and we still haven't got anything close to what this game achieves
Earthbound is a slightly above average jRPG with quirky humor, they're a dime a dozen now. Mother 3 is Earthbound but better and I'm asshurt that no one else has copied it's rhythm based auto attack system

Attached: kodak.jpg (1189x1200, 86K)

You mean Earthbound ripoffs are a dime and dozen now. Big difference

it's a 9/10
mother 3 was better though, solid 10/10
though i'm sick of fags yelling about it all the time. we don't need an official localization

what the fuck do you want then? anything that's close to earthbound can be dismissed as a rip off to fit the retarded narrative in the OP

>Earthbound
>Story

Lmaoing at your life

Nothing is close to Earthbound which is OP’s point.

>Mother 3 10/10
Mother is one of my favorite series but I wouldn't go that far, Mother 3 is pretty flawed in some aspects. It's pretty obvious that they had to cut a few chapters and stuff that was planned for Mother 64.

How do you know they cut anything?

I thought Undertale had a Earthbound like vibe without feeling like a complete ripoff. Regardless, I honestly dont want to see any "spiritual sequels" to this game, it's better off standing tall on it's own.

>How do you know they cut anything?
The fact that the trailers for Earthbound 64 had way more stuff in it? Mother 3 was pretty much taking all of the ideas they could salvage from Earthbound 64 and putting it into a GBA game.

>slightly above average jrpg with quirky humor
it's much more than that, I suggest you replay it. I don't have time to list all the reasons, but no other jrpg has the narrative quality (plus everything else I already mentioned). For such a simple adventure story, it's amazing it even has layers, and being set in a suburban US-like world gives it much more depth than the generic fantasy shit, not to mention the easy and straightforward but still great use of symbolism. And that's what sets it apart from the "dime a dozen" games you mention. Those games are quirky like reddit is quirky, in a "*holds up spork* waffles xD" kind of way. Earthbound's quirkiness has a purpose: to make the player, presumably a kid, comfortable with the increasingly darker aspects of the game. I'm not pulling this out of my ass, itoi said it in an interview, i think it was iwata asks

>narrative quality
Plot and storytelling in Earthbound is dogshit compared to mother 1.
>Entire plot is explained in first 10 minutes, and it's generic trash - an evil will destroy everything, you'll stop it because prophecy, you'll collect macguffins because prophecy, you'll get companions because prophecy
>Said macguffins have no significance beyond being vague "places of power", to the point that almost all of their dialogue is the same
>Pokey's character is excellent for the first 10 minutes, then he's relegated to cartoon villainy
>Gigyas hardly ever appears, the statue subplot is the most engaging the game ever gets
>Retconned magicant
>No substance to anything - gigyas is some "incomprehensible evil", but does jack squat, final fight is won via generic "heart power", all character growth happens through vague symbolic "fight evil in your heart" bullshit
>And the game tries really hard to pretend it has substance, it literally gives you a "gee, think of these cool adventures we had so far" cutscene TWICE and fails to specify any of them AT ALL because nothing that happened in the game to that point had any significance
Earthbound has no layers, meaning or significance to its plot and is best played if you ignore it and focus on side stuff.

>Retconned Magicant
How so? I always took it as that everyone has their own Magicant but it takes PSI fuckery to be able to enter it.

>that stupid monkey cave
>need to wait for escargo express
>new characters who join start at level 1, except poo for some reason, instead of being at ness' level

average game, Mother 3 is better in every way

I still need to play that series. I didn't know about it in the 90s and I've been meaning to play it since I learned of it in the early 2000s. Getting real close though, I'm actually going through games I've been meaning to play for a while now. Just trying to decide if I should play it in Nip or English. Usually play Japanese games in Japanese, but English would fit the American settings... Then again, I know that there's censorship and changes due to limitations and such. Probably play them in Japanese.

>>need to wait for escargo express
You can warp to Ness’ house and take/deposit more than 3 items for free

Yeah you're ignoring all the better RPGs that came after it.

Attached: Edward_Elric_Exploitable.jpg (640x480, 39K)

>never been a game as good as earthbound
i beg to differ

Attached: howdy.jpg (620x476, 37K)

one of the worst jrpgs I have ever played

If you play Mother 2 in English you lose out on some ass.

Attached: Ness sprite2.png (68x99, 786)

LOL he’s swearing, how edgy

but the game has swearing AND cutesy 2D graphics, how quirky is that lol?

Literally Undertale, what is does it does better

Shut the fuck up and get better taste in games you basedboy faggot.
Earthbound is the most trash RPG on the SNES.

>almost flawless gameplay mechanics
>earthbound

this is bait right?

>an actually well written story
Ness, Paula. Jeff and Poo dont talk. all of the characters are meant to be self inserts for the player and their friends. your a fucking retard user

NCU movie + Remake when?

Why are most fans of SNES JRPGs like Earthbound and FFVI such pretentious cunts?

Eh, it was ok. Extremely overrated.
>almost flawless gameplay mechanics
No.

nostalgia plus a sense of superiority because they think RPGs require thinking when they're really one of the most shallow and casual genres around

>Jeff and Poo dont talk
Factually wrong