ARCANUM

OF STEAMWORKS
AND
MAGICK
OBSCURA

Attached: arcanum-of-steamworks-and-magick-obscura-game-box-artwork-big.jpg (620x750, 223K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-destruction-of-tarant-video-in-arcanum-myth-or-fact.23560/
youtube.com/watch?v=QXAPdwOza9U
terra-arcanum.com/drog/guide.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ask /ck/ to bake this

Attached: 1450486770430.jpg (637x892, 141K)

Play an invention heavy tech is cool but it got old super fast.

Why can’t this get a sequel?

activision

Or to be be specific, technologists have a crap ton of inventory management and busy work that gets old fast.
And in the end, it isn't even that different. Firearms boil down to just spamming shots at heads, grenades are just ape spells in tech form, a good portion of the inventions are just stat boosts, et cetera

It'd be way more enjoyable if firearms weren't such an absurd stat investment and if crafting was more convenient. Options to automatically craft things when you have the mats would be fantastic. More variety in recipes, more gadgets, and automaton/spider customization would be great.

Heck, even just a better crafting UI that allows you to quickly filter and craft anything you have the mats for would do wonders for lowering the tedium of digging through trash cans and camping out near vendors.

Best game ever made

I wanna fuck an Elf

I got the steam version, It's horrible to play, how can I fix it?

Attached: 1556261308031.jpg (746x387, 58K)

This is just banana bread

hi sseth

Get the unofficial patch, the resoultion mod, the higher quality music mod, and the higher quality maps+towns mod.

Fuck they need to sell it off.

who

>It'd be way more enjoyable if firearms weren't such an absurd stat investment and if crafting was more convenient.
>To be a mage, you need 10INT and keep wisdom, your primary stat, pumped up
>To be a technoman you need 18INT, a worthless stat on them, to make endgame items, along with a decent STR to carry you shit, DEX to hit anything and CON due to only having access to shitty healing
I have no idea how technology managed to beat magic in the game's lore.

>shitty healing

Are you kidding me? Healing salves are easy as fuck to make and you can just use a ton at once.

OTOH Magick healing is literally let Virgil heal you. No searching for ingredients, no menus, no clicking, no waiting, no skill points, no stat requirements.

I wonder how a modern game that tackled racism and social divides as strongly as arcanum would look like.

It's the gnomes, user. It's always the goddamn gnomes.

The ingredients are literally on the ground outside whenever you get in a random encounter. You just sound lazy as fuck.

So if you're a magickal technophobe, are all those fucking herbs/materials basically just for selling?
And who will buy these damn rail spikes
Also what's the best summon in the game, the Ogre Champion from the 3rd Summoning School spell?
>be level 5
>summon level 30 Ogre with 23-25 STR
t-thanks, but I wanted undead and demons

Not him but they're just salves. Once you get some levels it can take multiple to bring you back to full and they can chew up a lot of inventory space. And then hop into a dungeon where you'll have to fight through hordes of fucks and those 50 salves you made can disappear pretty damn quick.

No point in pick up random junk if you're not gonna be tech crafting.

first character I beat the game with was a gunslinger back when I was 12 and I had no problems keeping healed

That's very surprising.

I can't imagine too many Gunslingers making it through the black rock mountains with no problems.

They do better than melee characters who break all their weapons on the golems. Have you never heard of kiting?

A kid probably would care too much about their time so they could get through BMC fine just making and chucking a shit ton of moltov cocktails. That or they looked up where to steal a handcannon or looking glass rifle.

What is the final solution to the (((Rootless Cosmopolitan))) gnome question?

Kerghan did nothing wrong.

Hey hey people

>*Wouldn't care

Divinity 2 but it's Arcanum. Imagine...

I just kited the fuck out of everything while sog took the hits and virgil healed him. Was super easy.

It's a shame that the setting wasn't used again, the combat could use a lot of work among other things but the setting was nearly perfect for me.

As a mage what spells should you use other than Harm

time magic fucks everyone up

Well, good that you found something that worked then. I went through BMC recently on my tech character and it got annoying fast with the golems and level 30 wolves doing 80-90 damage in one turn and chunking my dog.

did you go before reaching level 20 because that's a bad idea no matter what build you have

What other games let me wear a Victorian-era dress?

Attached: arcanum.png (350x306, 146K)

If real time gunslinger is trivial since you kite everything easily, if turn mode I imagine you’ll need a lot more stats and healing items.

I've only ever played mages.
How does one even get started with a tech build?

Bloodborne

Step one: hoard everything.

I'm a PC babby, no PS4 games.

Hasn't From been toying with the idea of a PC rerelease sometime soon? Thought I heard that somewhere.

Shame because bloodborne has some really nice ones

Having trouble getting the font size to change with highrest patch.
Even by setting dialogue to 2 and logbook to 1 it doesn't seem to change shit in game, meaning I'm left with text for ants

Attached: arcanum highres.png (651x378, 22K)

How much INT do you need to have at least to get retard dialogue?

IIRC, anything less than 5 makes you a retard.

You got trolled hard.

I guess so. Oh well.

You can stream it with PSNow on PC, but I don't think there are official rerelease plans.

Don't fucking die

On the contrary, user, death is apparently quite nice. So nice that some people would do some horrible things to keep enjoying it.

yeah thats literally just banana bread

rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-destruction-of-tarant-video-in-arcanum-myth-or-fact.23560/

So. Real talk. Apparently, it was originally planned that, if youw ere a dwarf with high charisma and persuasion, and possible evil, you could convince Loghiare to invade Tarrant, and pin the blame for all the shit that went down on Bates. There was even a rumoured video of the destruction of Tarrant by the dwarves. Some say its an April Fools Joke, but I've seen this rumour pop up at least two other times.

Anybody else know anything about this?

Attached: loghairethunderstonesmall.jpg (64x64, 2K)

First time I heard of that. I don't think it's true. The Dwarven Clan Wars was started by exactly that - a charismatic but evil dwarf. That's probably where the idea came from.

>t. Kerghan the Terrible

That could explain it. But I feel like there must be something else in the game that helped create the hoax/rumour... if its a hoax.

I mean, as you know, if you help Magnus find the Iron Clan, and not get Loghaire to return to the throne, Magnus leads the Dwarves. But when you have Loghaire and Magnus in your party and find the Iron Clain, Loghaire will mention something to Magnus about being a leader. It was random dialogue, but something tells me that there was a possible plot thread that was either dropped, or I had not explored it yet.

Arcanum has a lot of secrets. I found out that Loghaire has dialogue with Gilbert Bates, but that does not appear in-game due to a glitch. Also, on my current playthrough, I'm taking Volligner to Half-Ogre Island, based on a rumour that Vollinger expresses disgust when he reaches the island.

Look, just use that one sword, and I don't have to do it, user.

Nobody can improve it without gutting the fundamental things that made it stand out.

>It was random dialogue, but something tells me that there was a possible plot thread that was either dropped, or I had not explored it yet.
I think I remember that one, it was about Magnus wanting to revive the Iron Clan.
>I'm taking Volligner to Half-Ogre Island, based on a rumour that Vollinger expresses disgust when he reaches the island.
That's interesting, anything involving the gnome conspiracy is fascinating (and infuriating). You know it's possible to convince Vollinger to join your cause, right? I remember many guides getting that wrong and saying he would never join. Or maybe it was another fixed glitch.

If you're playing Vanilla Arcanum, or if you're not played the bug

Mental/Meta exploit >>>>> Charisma + Persuasion

Of course, you shouldn't have more than 8 follwoers, especially for the finnal abttle - Arcanums combat is fairly shit that, even if you have a large army, most of your combatants will do nothing most of the time unless they're attacked. But, even with just 6 to 8 followers, Mind/Mental opens up to more and better follow possibilities than charisma/persuasion can ever offer. Of course, there is the "lore" aspect, but who needs that shit?

Below are some of the best followers I got:

Lianna pel Dar - currently the only NPC with a Mastery in BOTH Melee and Dodge. Plus she comes with the Sword of Baltar.

Doc Roberts - Loved the Doc during the Bank sidequest? Now you can subjugate him. Walk him around in Tarrant as he screams about the fact that you dragged him all the way from Shrouded Hills. Doc is not able to wear armour, but he is the best gunman in the game, and is a beast with the Droch's Warbringer

Dudley Crosston - This one was surprising - his teacher, Ketzel, is not a master of the bow, but Dudley is an expert at Bow. Also, I found him a more suitable replacement over Raven.

Sir Garrick Stout - Mind controlled him on one playthrough. At level 45, and with all that armour, he makes a good meat shield and pack mule. Only problem is that he has no auto-levelling scheme, unlike the others above.

Sammy White - a less effective gunman than the Doc, but, so far, Sammy NPC I know that ahs expertise in throwing. Have him the Aerial Decapitator.

There's bound to be more, but the above are the NPCs I picked, and these are the ones that come with training - most NPCs in Arcanum are untrained.

Attached: Yuri_red_alert.jpg (1541x964, 377K)

>wholly appropriate fare to offer elven visitors
>inviting filthy knife-ears over to your house
Never do this

>. You know it's possible to convince Vollinger to join your cause, right? I remember many guides getting that wrong and saying he would never join. Or maybe it was another fixed glitch.

Vollinger is an interesting case. And yes, you can get Vollinger to stay. The following is important:

- you need to get the book from Joachim. Which means getting the telegraph, and getting the book from the inkeeper in Stillwater.
- doing so opens up the dialogue option with Gideon when you leave Min Gorad. Once Gideon realizes that the Molochean Hand was duped, he will tell Vollinger to call off the hit on you
- also, this means that, at this point, you are either evil, or you have Mastery in Persuasion (which is why I went for for the sake of this run)

So yeah, you can not only get Vollinger, but you can keep him in your party. I prefer Payne, desu, but well, I really want to investigate that rumour

Another Half-Ogre Island rumor was that entering it before going to the Isle of Despair opens up additional dialogue with the half-ogre in the Isle. He's one of the few guys who remember the island, but I never tested it to see if it's true.

Thats kind of hard because that assumes you go to Caladon before you go to Half-Ogre Island, which may not be what the developers intended. The only way I know the glitch is possible is if you pocket the Kendrick Wales from the Tarrant Librarian, which will allow you to skip the plot. But I'm not sure if I want to try that

That said, the Half-Ogre you mentioned, Ogdin, does remember Half-Ogre island. If you have high charisma + persuasion, he mentions that he was raised in an orphanage where everyone was a half-ogre.

>implying anyone can mind-control THE Sir Garrick "Master of Chads" Stout
It's you who joined his quest to save Arcanum.

>implying most of the underaged newfag zoomers on Yea Forums played arcanum

Attached: d55.jpg (680x959, 158K)

Well it was worth it. I even gave him Kryggird's Falchion

I'd rather have it get no sequel and be an awesome standalone than have it gutted by kikes like Vtmb is by Paradox right now.

>a "good" sequel
>in this day and age

It won't happen.

If Bethesda gets it - lore retcons, First person view and Todd
If Activision does it - simplified dialogue, simplified RPG system, on ending, little to no consequences

Arcanum was lightning in a bottle. It came out a few years after Fallout 2, and was a spiritual successor to it, and at the same time, its release coincided with the LotR movie. And, even though it was a high fanatsy RPG, it had some of the tech and cynicism of the Fallout games. Its one of a kind. And one we might never ever get again

This is why I don't believe the BS that the best games were from the 80s and 90s. The best games were from the late 90s to Early 2000s. Half-Life, Deus Ex, Diablo 2, Simicity 4, The Sims, Arcanum. May their Light keep burning.

>The best games were from the late 90s-early 2000s
I agree with you, but I'm also worried that I'm falling victim to the "the best video games were released when I was coincidentally between the ages of 10 and 16" mentality.

There are four types of builds in Arcanum

Base builds - Uses only 64 points
Halycon builds
Moorindal builds
Kai'Tan builds
Velorien builds

Velorien builds are the most IMBA, but Velorien builds lack some of the buffs of the blessings from Halycon, Moorindal or Kaitan. I'll have to do a longer theorycrafting FAQ on this, but suffice to say is that, if you plan it out right, you can make some really broke builds in Arcanum utilizing the God blesssings.

It happens to all of us. I can udnerstand people who think that Mario/Sonic/NES Zelda/Final Fanatsy 1 to 6 were all "the best game ever". Or they might say the same about Ultima or what-not.

Here's the thing. The 2000s was when gaming was becoming more mainstream, but was still niche enough that developers could work independently to some extent. EA did not go full evil mode. Interplay was not acquired by Titus yet. And Gabe was actually making Half-life 1 & 2.

Its always a debateable topic, but that will remain to be the best time in games. I have not seen the plot complexity in Deus Ex and Arcanum in any game after 2010. (except Alpha Protocol, but that came out before 2010)

I heard people that weren't playing games at that time say that it was the best period too, so there's that.

Not even just the plot is complex, I remember Arcanum having a fairly complex puzzle where you offer items to various gods' shrines, and doing it in a certain order gives you a massive boost, with the solution being in the lore that a historian character gushes to you about. I'm not sure there's another CRPG that incorporated the lore that most players would entirely ignore into a fairly complex puzzle for a decent prize like Arcanum did.

I like the Time College build.
4 out of 5 spells are broken. The one monster that casts time magic can seriously fuck you up if you don't resist.

tempus fugit is ridiculous

I know the following colleges to be broken:
Conveyance
Force
Temporal
Necromantic white
Meta & Mental (TOGETHER)
Divination

Phantasm may be imba as well. I have not tried it yet.

The elemental colleges are mostly BS. Necromantic black has the useful call dead but Quench Life has nothing on Disintegrate. Nature is a jack of all trades master of meaningless bullshit. Summoning can work with meta but it doesntvreally appeal to me. Morph seems middle of the road

i'm pretty sure you cannot be defeated if you focus on time
i gave haste to the dog and he soloed every encountered

Well yeah - temporal gives you an unearthly speed advantage. Couple that with peak dexterity, and the game becomes bullshit easy

You also cannot be defeated 95% of the time if you are a Master Force Mage with A LOT of mana

Dumb question, but should I give magic weapons and armor to tech characters? Or just stick with mundane items?

If they have very little tech, otherwise they just lose their effects

Mundane and tech

>be an evil, fuck ugly halfling thief
>recruit Geoffrey
>get scarred in battle and lose the remaining bits of beauty I have
>Geoffrey instantly turns on me and joins the enemy

>there will never be a mod that adds more mage encounters so the magic vs tech gimmick is actually relevant
It's a cool gimmick you never get to enjoy as a tech user. You just get to see the no healing effect and that's it.

Definitely mundane and tech. There's a point that magical weapons cause critical failures on tech characters, I think it happens when a high tech character uses a powerful magical item. You don't want to stumble and hit your head while trying to swing that magical sword.

Doesn't magic also blow up your tech shit?

It does

Childhood is hating the half-ogre island quest. Adulthood is realizing it's refreshing being unable to solve everything.

If there was a sequel, it would be cool if there was a follow up quest where there's a hard to achieve alternate "good" ending that still doesn't stop the conspiracy.

either way it was fun to club that little subhuman's skull in

Why is the combat so lame? Is it me?

It's what happens when you try to do real time and TB combat at the same time: they both end up being shit.

It's just your ADD

What i am more surprised by is the lack of rule 34 related to it

Burn in hell, gnome scum.

>kid talks to me
>asks for the ring
>Sure here you go
>Virgil tells me im an idiot
Uninstalled, fuck

There are no kids, retard, you literally gave your ring to a kike

>Dying man that was being hunted gives you his ring and asks you to deliver it in his stead
>Give it to the first person that asks for it
No one expects you to be a 00 agent but come the fuck on user.

If for some reason, some one here hasn't played it, here's your review, bro.
youtube.com/watch?v=QXAPdwOza9U

Attached: Dog (51).png (640x640, 659K)

>le ebin nigger man pretending to play games

i wanna play it but its unplayable on modern systems

>he doesn't do a low iq run or pick the idiot savant background

I have windows 10 and can play it easily, just quit being retarded and use google.

I don't get why people hate him. Even if you think he's a fraud or his humor is shit, he's still convincing kids to play old and/or good games.

Its because explosives were broken and you could easily throw 10 molotovs in a single turn.

teleport

Just follow this guide:
terra-arcanum.com/drog/guide.html

Make sure to install the DirectDraw stuff, it's an old graphics API normally not supported on Windows 10 and the main compatibility roadblock when running Arcanum.

>Play trough the game just fine
>Get completely destroyed by the last boss
>Give up and watch the endings on youtube

Attached: 1555482434135.jpg (2894x4092, 896K)

Because he's pulling good games through the dirt and turning them to meme machines for D*scord trannies. Everyone who cares about good video games already played all of them or discovers them themselves without the help of a faggy eceleb.

i did, after applying the hd patches and stuff, game ran at 5 fps and the ui broke

Did anyone get Arcanum vibes from the strings in Sekiro?

Off the dome, Hasten, Temupus Fugis, Teleportation, every spell in the healing tree, Disintergrate, Invisibility, fireflash, the water beauty buff, stun, the unlocking spell, and the elemental tier 1 buff spells are pretty good

To each his own, I personally found his reviews to be quite hilarious.

Attached: 1548693240795.jpg (350x330, 35K)

You have to set prefixes and compatibility as well

I'm thoroughly tired of this "discord tranny" shit.

DirectDraw is a deprecated API, Windows 10 runs in legacy emulation mode which is slow af, get the wrapper, it's included in the high resolution patch, just turn it on

Same issue as with the OG Infinity Engine games

I did play it years before the review, and liked it, and I also liked the "review".

Attached: 1557301190464.png (804x598, 659K)

>not having a good build by the end
>not having good followers
>not having dog

All my followers died couple seconds in the fight.

This is like the most boomer WRPG ever. 100% cringe and 0% fun without a massive pair of nostalgia goggles.

It has a shit ton of world building and reactivity that you just don't see nowadays. And as broken as the combat can be, it has incredible build variety with a shit ton of options.

.... what level were you at?

Just go back to Skyrim, sweatie

I wish it would get remaster,and no I'm not a zoomer but the combat and engine are shit

Teleport and Tempus Fugit are must haves.

p

Why? So it can be ruined too? Lol fuck off.

Bet you love gnomes though, jelly faggot

Die, jaded shit

>jaded
>when every revival has been shit
Die shill

Whatever you say laddie. Let me guess, you hated DX:HR after the leak just to be different from the rest too?

No, but I preferred DXMD. HR is extremely overrated.

Unironically, Skyrim is good. Not as good as Arcanum, but still good

That's fine. MD had some great stuff too

Sure there's some nostalgia goggles element to it, but it was a time when certain stars aligned to make it special, like hardware getting immensely more powerful and accessible, and game development budgets getting bigger, allowing truly creative projects to come true in a precious few years before the corporate overlords stuck their corrosive tendrils all the way in.

See The level 5s in all these colleges are OP as fuck:

Conveyance - Teleport (super travel! No random encounters!)
Force - Disintegrate (YOU WAH SHOCK)
Temporal - Tempus Fugit (GOTTA GO FAST)
Necromantic white - Ressurect (YOU RAISE ME UP)
Divination - Divine Magic (FUCK GYPSIES)
Meta & Mental - Dominate Will + Reflection Shield (OBEY)

Invisibiliy could be kino. Need to check.

Other then that: Call dead exists if you like to interrogate dead people. Meta & Morph seems okay but kinda nerfed. The elemental colleges are not worth maxxing out.

THE ONLY GOOD GNOME IS A DEAD

The gnome player character was not involved in the conspiracy. Same for the lowly gnome villager. Same for Vollinger.

The real problem is the Tarantian Council

Attached: timcain.jpg (474x316, 15K)

You write like a reddit nigger

Hi there user.

Attached: 11.png (64x64, 5K)

(((Gnomes)))

No, thats (you)

AAAAAH SAVE ME VIRGIL

I love VTMB a lot, will I like Troika's other games?

Holy fuck an Arcanum thread!

>100% cringe and 0% fun
Lies. I've only recently gotten into Arcanum, and I've had way more fun experimenting and toying around here, plus having a blast with the reactivity compared to newer RPGs, hell, even compared to DAO and BG, Arcanum delivers on the reactivity and 'sandbox' play.

A lot of people dismiss other spells as useless.
They only say that because they're not experimenting builds. They're only playing as 'pure' classes.
I had a lot of fun experimenting and finding spells that compliment certain builds.
>melee coupled with Phantasm is great
>thief builds + Mental is also great
>tech + magic builds are also viable

But yes there are spells that seem useless even to me, like Divination.

Another alternative is to simply use that modded russian Arcanum, I think it's called Ultimate Arcanum.
The one with all the mods and fixes preinstalled.
IDK how good it is, but if you're too lazy or can't figure out how to apply those simple patches/exes, at least there's that.

Are there people who stop after Halcyon and Moorindal?
I can understand Kai'Tan but I can't understand stopping before then.

I tried the Dominate WIll + Reflection Shield but doesn't seem to work for me

STOP DYING FROM WOLVES