Is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild the peak of open world game design?

Is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild the peak of open world game design?

I can't think of anything else that would be anywhere near close

Attached: 123.jpg (1920x1080, 546K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-05-how-will-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-change-the-open-world-paradigm
vg247.com/2018/11/23/cyberpunk-2077-aims-to-be-as-refined-as-red-dead-redemption-2-at-launch/
gamerant.com/sekiro-red-dead-redemption-2-style/
uk.ign.com/articles/2014/06/18/hideo-kojima-depressed-again-by-gta-5-on-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc
gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-04-27-cd-projekt-games-will-follow-the-rockstar-model
en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Bank_Courier
youtube.com/watch?v=xyzm-1Dece8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I never got bored. True adventure.

yes
gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-05-how-will-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-change-the-open-world-paradigm

What are the best mods?

Add hundreds more grapple points to far cry 5 and you have it.
Botw was shit.

Minecraft was unironically a better open world game and it's procedurally generated

Not really, it's Ubishit world design but without as many waypoints

This I want some lewd mods

>Big empty world
Wow it's fucking nothing

That doesn't mean much because open world is a shit concept for games, give me back linear classic 3D Zelda with neat dungeons

Unironically yes. I recently played Witcher 3 and it was fucking horrifying how much the game relied on its magical GPS.

I want a halfway point between classic 3D Zelda and botw

Witcher 3 is pure garbage, but that doesn't make BotW good.

just play the 2D games if you want linearity, they were always better at it anyway.

Almost, but not quite.

Attached: 1500661927146 - compressed.jpg (6784x4320, 3.92M)

The game has alot of great ways to get around the world but It has fuck all to do in the world so not really.

OOT and MM did it just fine

and LTTP and LA are better.

I just started replaying it for the 4th? time. Bar the shrines, I still find areas and things I haven't ever found before.

Yes. It makes everything with linear mission based structures into a huge waste of the open world premise, and it makes every sandbox looks unpolished and primitive.

Alttp is boring, LA is great. MM is better than both though

>Alttp is boring
zoom zoom

slowly climbing up any surface as a steel-finger twink simulator was 7/10

It's literally the culmination of everything that's wrong with open world. Literally nothing to do, except go out of your way to discover 'vistas' that don't do anything, or go on a hunt for the hundreds of collectibles. Fucking hell, what a drag. Worst purchase of last year.

I had a genesis as a kid so I hold no nostalgia for alttp

"Open world game design" is pretty trash so maybe.

BotW on its own merits is a solid 7/10.

I mean I never got bored of it and I always looked over it thinking "whats over there"

What game?

Daggerfall > Morrowind

skyrim

probably another shrine or empty field

Not really

Daggerfall unity when

no it's not

nostalgia aside, lttp is still better

It's got really good exploration, but the combat, graphics, story, and characters were pretty lackluster. If you ONLY want your open world to have good exploration, then BoTW is probably going to be the best game for you.

RDR2 had worse exploration, but better combat, graphics, story, and characters. So you could say it's a worse open world game on the note that it has worse exploration than BoTW, but it exceeds BoTW in other areas.

The ideal game would be the exploration of BoTW, the gunplay, graphics, and story/character interactions of RDR2. I would cum buckets if such a game existed. Add the attention to quality that DLCs and side missions got in Witcher 3, and you've got the Greatest Game of All Time.

TL;DR: BoTW has really good exploration. RDR2 has really good combat and character interactions/story. Witcher 3 has really good side quests and DLCs. Pick your poison.

Attached: Pantyhose 4faa5794075a26b087b00e25774030ab.jpg (1339x1056, 122K)

BotW was an empty world that was the worst zelda game since cd-i

given that the entire point of BotW, and most zelda games in fact, is exploration this is not a bad thing at all.

it's a masterpiece

It's not even better than Vice City.

This would unironically be good and kino tier

Much better use of NPCs and integrating mini-quests than the typical open world game, that's for sure.

Daggerfall is amazing, but not really in the same way Breath of the Wild and Morrowind are. You can't really just wander around the wilderness exploring in Daggerfall.

Morrowind

For large maps? Yes. It can still be imprived though
For open world in general? DS1 is still king

>peak open world
>only has Ubisoft tier content (Shrine #1321, Korok seed #2424242)
>embarrassing side quests

No and nobody outside of Nintengaf thinks so. Before you get me some literal who blog posts like , i'll get you double saying the exact same shit for Witcher 3 and RDR2.

Attached: 1508255132712.png (1000x700, 101K)

Since 99.9% of Daggerfall's towns and land were cookie cutter identical and could have been thrown out without affecting the game, no, don't think that's true at all.

I played through it twice on the Switch back in 2017. Going through a third playthough with a couple mods right now on CEMU and it's still fun

Attached: thumbs up.gif (400x225, 2.93M)

I think it's a stretch to categorize DS as an open world game.

I preferred Xenoblade X world, but both are top tier.

I also like Skyrim's world, shame the dungeons were all draugr shit, but BotW has enemy variety problem as well.

>literal who blog posts
bruh those are actual developers commenting on the game, including a leading ubisoft dev quite literally admitting that botw does open world better than generic ubisoft open world games like asscreed. There's also a leading TW3 dev saying the same.

Should have made the korok shits fewer in number and instead of little puzzles they would be rare poe encounters like TP. Durability and overall management of items/menus should never have shipped in its current state.

DS 1 is open though, with very few walls after you beat the first boss

What does it do exactly that thousands of open world games before it haven't done. Because last i checked, muh "CRAZY GAMEPLAY" and "CUHRAAAAZY INTERTWINING SYSTEMS" was done a decade ago in Just Cause 2.

When your open world has nothing of substance in it and attempts to make up for it with "crazy and whacky" gameplay that is fun to fuck around with for a few hours, then you've unironically made MGSV or Just Cause 2

Yeah, DS1 is closer to a metroidvania than it is an open world. All about opening short cuts or revisiting old areas to find a new path or point to a new area.

honestly it's closer to a 3D Metroidvania than it is an open world game, with it gradually opening up its interconnected regions.

But, I'm afraid that's not what a lot of casual fans are going to appreciate. I wouldn't go so far as saying it's the "worst game", but it's not really an enjoyable one either.
If I'm not mistaken, it's likely the most poorly written game published in modern history. The gameplay is just so lackluster. There's nothing very exciting about anything, and there is a whole lot of grinding to make a weapon do whatever it does, whether it's faster, faster, faster, or faster. This was also one of the first games I actually bought because I needed an excuse to buy it, and for a good reason: there was no reason for the gameplay to progress very well at all.

open-world game design is a shitty meme. there has never been a good open-world game and never will be.

>Much better use of NPCs and integrating mini-quests than the typical open world game,
Explain

>i'll get you double saying the exact same shit for Witcher 3 and RDR2.

vg247.com/2018/11/23/cyberpunk-2077-aims-to-be-as-refined-as-red-dead-redemption-2-at-launch/

gamerant.com/sekiro-red-dead-redemption-2-style/

I'll take the words of developers actively emulating your formula in upcoming games than them pandering to the Nintendy fanbase by scoring brownie points amongst them

What do you mean? The poe souls in TP are basically the exact same thing as gold skulltula tokens which are exactly the same as Koroks. In all of these instances, there's so many because you're not expected to find them all.

The little Korok puzzles are also the only source of Zelda logic puzzles in the entire game. There was never going to be a Zelda game without Zelda logic. In every other game, this kind of stuff just rewarded you with rupees, which were a lot worse than Koroks.

Also durability is completely fine, stop hoarding your potions.

what exactly makes it so different than other open world rpgs? is it just that it has mostly all classic aspects but done right? as opposed to a few good aspects with shittier others?

Dude, literally every developer said the same shit for Skyrim, RDR2, Witcher 3 and every single flavor of the year open world game. It's nothing new. By no metric is BoTW the best open world game of all time

>Metacritic
GTA IV is higher
>GoTY awards
Witcher 3 is the most awarded game ever made
>Sales
GTA V

By every single metric, it's not the best open world game barring personal opinion, which is ultimately irrelevant in any meaningful discussion because it's just that, an opinion.

DUDE, NO WAY POINTS LMFAO

I swear, BoTW really exposed how most of Yea Forums only shill games like Morrowind so that they can "fit in" when the reality is none of the zoomers on this shitty website have even played those games. This place is literally turning into /r/games

"DAE REMEMBER THIS GEM!?"

"LMFAO, IMPLYING ANY GAME IS AS GOOD AS PLANESCAPE TORMENT, GO BACK TO SKYRIM CASYOOOL"

Poes are enemies and fun to fight. Koroks are "fun" but they could have easily made the puzzles tied to reaching new sub-areas instead of artificially bolstering your already infinite pockets.

>durabilty is completely fine
eat shit

nothing has beaten skyrim yet, IMO

>In every other game, this kind of stuff just rewarded you with rupees
Zelda logic puzzles actually rewarded you with heart pieces and new items, which was infinitely better than korok seeds or the spirit orbs you get in shrines. Sorry, not the same user. I just don't like BotW because of how different it is gameplay-wise to other Zelda games. I can't even call it a real Zelda game because of the way it is and it actively pisses me off when people try to compare BotW's gameplay to the older games when they're so clearly different.

Attached: 1492503523312.jpg (500x372, 35K)

You haven't played many open world games, have you?

For one, it's got a completely open-ended design. There's a tutorial, and then literally everything else besides the final boss is optional. There are very few games that have ever done that and none as seamlessly as BotW, because in most RPGs that kind of stuff involves sequence breaking.

For two, basically everything is interactive in an intuitive way. It's a game where several times I'd go "I wonder if this works" and it'd work the way I'd expect. With most other games, there always feels like there's an obvious seam or distinction between what you can interact with and what you can't, and the interplay between elements like that is usually nonexistent. Like when I'm playing a Bethesda game, I know exactly what is flagged as an activator and what is static. As an example, if you open a door in a Bethesda game, assuming it opens and isn't a loading trigger, it will always open with the same and close with the same arc, and it'll unnaturally force everything out of its way. Whereas with Breath of the Wild, you have a bunch of big doors that are physics objects that you manipulate along a hinge, where they can be knocked open and shut by other objects.

If you take that difference in implementation and apply it to basically everything, you get BotW.

That rdr2/cyberpunk article says quite literally nothing, it makes no comments on rdr2's open world design and basically is just them saying " we want to be successful like this other successful game". The botw article went into detail over what makes botw's open world approach stand out, and why it's a step above other games in the genre.
simply not true. Developers have praised other games, sure, but never to the same degree as that botw article where it's literally touted as a step beyond other open world games, raising the bar: and that's in the opinion of rival developers.

Pretty much. I don't get these people who were excited to explore in this game when I knew in my heart I would just be seeing the same things over and over again anyway.

>emulate game
>play it for a few hours
>get bored and delete it
>feel the urge to play it a few months later
>restart a playthrough
>get bored and delete it

I'm convinced that the game is only fun when you're genuinely lacking in resources. Once you actually get some good gear, a few stamina upgrades (only plebs upgrade their hearts) and start getting to the actual content (shrines/Divine beasts), the game goes to ocmplete shit in how monotonous it all is

Doesn't help that the side quests are almost all fetch quests, lmao

It is.

Content is not super intetesting like it is in TW3, but how deliberately said content is spread is around the world , how open ended the gameplay is and how little railoading and handholding there are are definitely standouts from the rest of the genre.

Here we go again with the same thread every single day

Attached: 1831DCFF-8BA4-4BC9-9DB9-023D11D84C40.jpg (652x680, 138K)

take your meds, freak.

less than half the sidequests are fetchquests

Meh, ive played better. The world doesn't change in any way in this game everything is static.

>That rdr2/cyberpunk article says quite literally nothing, it makes no comments on rdr2's open world design and basically is just them saying " we want to be successful like this other successful game".

>“Without a doubt, quality is of paramount importance,” he replied. “We strive to publish games which are as refined as Red Dead Redemption 2, and recent Rockstar releases in general. That game is excellent, by the way, we are rooting for it. Rave reviews, excellent sales.
>the game is excellent, by the way

Here's Kojima saying the same shit about GTA V

uk.ign.com/articles/2014/06/18/hideo-kojima-depressed-again-by-gta-5-on-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc

And here's CDPR again showing you how much they try to emulate Rockstars formula with the Witcher 3

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-04-27-cd-projekt-games-will-follow-the-rockstar-model

>"If we look at our role models, what Rockstar is doing is amazing. It's not like, 'We have to ship a game or we may not hit our financial goals.' It's, 'Here's GTA V, and by the way, it's the best game ever made.' We're all looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2 because we know they'll show something and we'll be like, 'Oh my god.'

That's developers actually emulating an open world game and not just sucking it's dick to score points among Nintendo fans. Ironically, the ONLY developer who used BoTW as an actual influence was ironically Ubisoft with assassins creed Odyssey.

That really says it all, lmao.

>and that's in the opinion of rival developers.

What developers are in competition with Nintendo games? You do know Insomniacs Nu Spiderman absolutely shit on it with sales? You really think Rockstar/Bethesda/CDPR view Nintendo as competition?

Yikes

For one, spirit orbs are a strict superset of heart pieces so you don't know what the fuck you're on about.

For two, the overworld Zelda logic stuff in anything past LttP rarely rewarded you with something as significant as a heart piece for something so trivial. For example, Majora's Mask has bulls-eye shaped targets in Clock Town. When you shoot them, they spit out a bunch of rupees. Now in BotW, you shoot bulls-eye targets in Kakariko, and you get a Korok seed, which is both permanent and more useful.

Zelda increasingly valued heart pieces as time went on. In LttP they're just kind of there, but ever since OoT, the games introduced much more elaborate sidequests with heart pieces as rewards. BotW does the exact same thing with its Shrine Quests. If you do a sidequest where you track down the statue with glowing eyes and shoot it, you get a shrine with nothing in it but two chests, one containing a spirit orb. In an older game, you'd probably just get a heart piece so it's functionally the same thing.

There really isn't much of a difference except BotW has way more stuff in it.

>For one, it's got a completely open-ended design.
Minecraft
Morrowind

Next

>For two, basically everything is interactive in an intuitive way. It's a game where several times I'd go "I wonder if this works"
Minecraft
Morrowind

Next

>If you take that difference in implementation and apply it to basically everything, you get BotW.
As well as Minecraft and Morrowind

(Among many other games by the way, like Daggerfall or even old school Ultima games. You would know this if you were above the age of 18)

Name me 5 that aren't fetch quests. What's funny is Tarrey Town is the go to "holy crap what a good side quest" for BoTW babbies and it's literally one big giant fetch quest within a fetch quest

I'm so tired of korok seeds. I got 450 of them in standard mode before I got the DLC, and now I have around 200 on master mode and it seems like all I do now is find those stupid seeds. I just want to be able to fuck around and have fun with the physics engine, but I have this unexplainable urge to grab everything. How do I break the completionist collection autism?

literally none of the articles you linked are about open world design, which is what botw is praised for as it does open world design better than any of these games. Most of what you link is about story and combat, or just "that game sold well and we want to sell well too"

Morrowind ain't it.
The way you can influence morrowind through gameplay is much more limited (same with ultima). They're open ended in terms of story and character interaction, sure, but not gameplay.

And minecraft lack of design due to randomness may be a turn off for some people.

Yep

Are you a dumbass? Why would you even think to use Minecraft, of all "open-ended RPGs," for your comparison to BoTW?

Attached: image.jpg (417x443, 239K)

And you have yet to link a single article from a developer saying they want their game to be like BoTW.

Just mindless dick sucking for retards like you to unironically like Todd Howard so that you can buy Skyrim on the Switch. Nobody will emulate BoTW because nobody cares about it. game sold like shit by open world standards and people will continue to follow the Rockstar or Bethesda model of Open world games just like they did last gen because that shit is what sells.

Cope

>Most of what you link is about story and combat, or just "that game sold well and we want to sell well too"

Either you can't read or you're outright lying

>' It's, 'Here's GTA V, and by the way, it's the best game ever made.'
CDPR literally referred to GTA V as the best game ever made.

>"What Rockstar has created and the world they have created is super impressive, and actually when I saw the PS4 version a few days ago I got depressed again.
Kojima literally depressed over how amazing GTA Vs world looked

>"What Rockstar has created and the world they have created is super impressive, and actually when I saw the PS4 version a few days ago I got depressed again.

Again CDPR saying they strive to make a game as good as RDR2, outright calling it Excellent.

With Rockstar open world games, you have Developers directly trying to copy them. With BoTW you have them making grandiose statements but not having the balls to actually implement it in their own games because even they don't believe their PR speak

Deep down you know nobody is going to keep talking about BoTW in the same vein as people still to this day talk about Bethesda or Rockstar games. Shit, even the general over on /vg/ is dead and Yea Forums is a Nintendo friendly board.

Nobody cares, cope

play just cause games. same shit.

final kakariko quest
corrupted naydra dragon
thundra plateau
any of the divine beast quests
most of the kass riddles
the leviathans

>The way you can influence morrowind through gameplay is much more limited (same with ultima).
Stopped reading. Play the game.

Can literally kill integral quest givers, have insane customability in your play style and overall gameplay far more than anything shown in BoTW. You can literally levitate and make objects levitate or turn your guy into the fucking Flash if you want to. You really think picking up a stick that's on fire compares? Kys

Why would you think to use BoTW as an RPG at all?

None of this shit applies to Morrowind. Morrowind has a critical path quest that you have to do to beat the game, has literally zero interplay between any interactive elements because everything does its one and only function, has incredibly retarded unintuitive quest scripting that likes to break itself constantly, and basically the entire game feels like it's defined by specific engine limitations.

Minecraft is completely open-ended but has no designed experience whatsoever because it's random. It has a final boss but I wouldn't exactly call any of the actual objective of beating Minecraft good. It's also not intuitive at all, there's tons of shit in Minecraft that works very contrary to basic logic. Like fucking gravity and physics.

But please keep bringing up more janky shit, it all serves to highlight exactly why BotW was so damn good. What's next? Gothic 2? What was that broken ass 3D Ultima game that was insanely ambitious and literally unplayable months after release?

How, it's the same as every other open world games

>thundra plateau
Shrine, not a side quest
>any of the divine beast quests
Dungeon, not a side quest
>most of the kass riddles
Shrine, not a side quest
>corrupted naydra dragon
>leviathans
That makes 2.

You do know that the side quests are listed separately from the shrine quests for a reason, right my dude?

Minecraft still hasn't been topped

you named a developer in one of your own posts earlier that directly cited botw as a source of inspiration. Also, nice projections throughout your post, reeks of butthurt honestly. The reason botw hasn't been cloned yet is unironically because the physics/interactions are too difficult to add into an existing game, and would require your engine to be built from the ground up for it - it's the main reason botw itself took so long to release in the first place.

> orrowind has a critical path quest that you have to do to beat the game, has literally zero interplay between any
Are you actually trolling?

You do know you can kill the final boss of Morrowind within the first minutes of the game, just like in BoTW? Lmao, play the game you dumb Nintendo cuck

> has incredibly retarded unintuitive quest scripting that likes to break itself constantly,
If you kill a quest giver, shits gonna break yo. That's way more freedom than the quest itself never compelting.

Take the quest in Hateno Village where you need to collect 10 crickets. Explain to me the "open ended nature" of that quest.

I'll wait

>and basically the entire game feels like it's defined by specific engine limitations.
You haven't played the game

shrine quests are sidequests, they are only listed differently to make it a bit easier to tell which shrins you might have done. Also, I was not referring to the actual divine beast dungeons, but the quests that occur before them.

Do you get a jetpack? No? Elex is the best up until now despite its numerous flaws.

>boring "open air" design with virtually no explorable dungeons, ruins, caves or interiors
>almost every conspicuous thing just predictably leads to a korok seed or shrine
>worst, most barebones worldbuilding of any open world game
No idea what people see in this horrendously boring world

>you named a developer in one of your own posts earlier that directly cited botw as a source of inspiration
Ubisoft? Ok

Let's summarize this discussion and let everyone else reading be the judge because I wanna go watch Deadwood.

BoTW
>Inspired Assassins Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft game)

RDR2
>Inspired Cyberpunk 2077 (CDPR game)
>Inspired Fromsoftware's next game (Fromsoftware game)

GTA V
>Inspired Witcher 3 (CDPR game)
>Inspired MGSV (Kojima game)

Skyrim
>Inspired virtually every modern open world RPG (Witcher 3 etc)

Yikes

>The reason botw hasn't been cloned yet is unironically because the physics/interactions are too difficult to add into an existing game,
Can't leave this statement unchecked because it's so retarded.

You do know what "influence" means right? You really think Cyberpunk 2077 is going to incorporate RDR2s engine (Euphoria)? An open world game has an idea on how to handle the open world, that is where the influence comes from.

When someone says "woah... BoTW is a good open world game, I am influenced by it for my next game!", they're not going to then seek out the patent for Nintendo's engine you dumb fuck

hue hue muh fuckin adventure

ok stand alone. BOTW serves its purpose.
as a zelda game though. its fails miserably in my eyes.

I could go into extreme detail about everything but to sum it up :
The dungeons are fucking boring. Hue Hue test demo puzzles that a 3 year old could complete.
the fucking world (while being beautiful) is fucking empty. yes we have Shrines and Korok seeds but where is the fucking LORE. LORE . It's all of fucking HYRULE. Goddammit thats fucking a timeline that exists well beyond Ocarina. While we have small things like Lon Lon Ranch that stay somewhat true in terms of world design it's kinda fucking empty. Why can't I find ancient dungeons filled with monster? Why can't I happen upon a couple wild tribes or anything relating to zelda lore that is actually ALIVE in this fucking world. Fuck the same 10 mobs that pop up every know and then. I WANT A FUCKING LORE FILLED WORLD.

BOTW should have been the pinnacle of not only open world exploration but of ZELDA GAMES too. In my opinion and in terms of that they fucking FAILED.

botw was fun and I 100%'d in tho. they better fucking make the game interesting next time. the feeling I was left with after BOTW was something of playing a WII U tech demo. I even played and beat all of the DLC.

The game succeeds in many ways but is no way a successor to the many Zelda games that came before.

Attached: f2e400031d4bd9ba877aa85e9c28340c62429dd612de32ced3704018122da543_12.jpg (548x445, 16K)

>Shrine quests are side quests that are not listed as side quests
Nah. Not gonna let you make this copout excuse to excuse your shitty argument

You said less than half of BoTWs side quests are fetch quests, shouldn't be hard for you to get me some that are actually listed under the side quest section based on that claim :^)

The exploration in BotW is not good. There is virtually nothing interesting to discover. Meanwhile RDR2 has a lot of compelling easter eggs and secrets. Finding the frozen couple with a map or a witch's hut in the mountains is cooler than anything in BotW. There is nothing fun about finding korok seed # 256

t. got all of his knowledge on Morrowind from a quick google search

This. This isn't opinion. This is fact.

This isn't Open World Adventure #10442 This is fucking Zelda. Where is the Zelda lore? It's barely there. The world is fucking empty.

Yes.

>You do know you can kill the final boss of Morrowind within the first minutes of the game
Except you can't you fucking idiot. Discounting engine glitches because Bethesda's programmers are all retards, you need Wraithguard, Sunder, and Keening to kill the Heart of Lorkhan, so you have to do the entire main quest. It sounds like you didn't even play this shit.

>If you kill a quest giver, shits gonna break yo. That's way more freedom than the quest itself never compelting.
ESL tard rage aside, killing an NPC and breaking a quest isn't freedom, it's shitty design. There's fundamentally no difference between breaking a quest and not doing the quest. Breaking a quest is not a valid choice because it doesn't lead to any different outcome. It's just shitty game design because the retarded engine also accumulates NPC position floating point errors over time so critical NPCs have a habit of killing themselves, you aren't even required in the equation.

Collecting 10 crickets is exactly as open-ended as the retarded Gothic 2 orc weapon thing that Eurojank fags love to jerk off about. It's open-ended because you get an objective and not a means. Which is to say, not atypical, but a hell of a lot more open-ended than having to run around talking to NPCs in a specific sequence to get the ability to damage the final boss.

God you're retarded.

I'm still fucking mad about the rock salt implying that it takes place post-wind waker ocean, yet the world having shit from OoT that shouldn't be there, like lon lon ranch having its framework there almost exactly, and also the zoras still existing at all. FUCK the rock salt

Attached: 1539311282320.png (430x345, 174K)

bing of the wahoo is a glorified tech demo. it's barely even a game.

You mean Twilight princess?

>ESL tard rage aside, killing an NPC and breaking a quest isn't freedom, it's shitty design

Stopped reading.

You're the reason Oblivion happened and I want you to die irl. Kill yourself please

Explain to me what BoTW has that makes it more "free" than a game where you can:

>literally murder every NPC in the entire world
>literally murder every quest giver
>literally turn into Superman and fly
>literally turn into the flash from DC comics

You gonna tell me that because you can pick up a branch that's on fire and set fire to grass, then this suddenly makes it's a more "open" open world game? Despite the absolute zero interaction with the NPCs, or inability to tackle the side quests in numerous ways?

And when I say "numerous ways", I don't mean "dude, I can use a bomb to propell me off this gap, woah!", no, I mean shit like "fuck it, This ganon guy makes sense, think i'll just murder Zelda and have that be the end of it all".

Yea, nah, go fuck yourself you absolute child. Try playing games that don't have a Nintendo sticker on it.

>they're not going to then seek out the patent for Nintendo's engine you dumb fuck
the engine used is actually Havok, albeit heavily modified with a lot of proprietary code. Other developers are simply too lazy to implement that kind of interactivity into an open world.

Fuck even the Rock salt. THEY ARE FUCKING KOROKS OUT OF WIND WAKER. Do you know why Koroks exist in that form? BECAUSE THEY NEEDED TO FUCKING TRAVERSE THE OCEAN. THAT IS LITERALLY IN THE CANON AND IN WIND WAKER. Why else would they take that form? What a fucking joke. They took the small forms with the little helicopters to traverse the damn OCEAN. I'm fucking SEEETHIGN MAN

Attached: 1554372902330.jpg (614x529, 63K)

>ESL tard rage aside, killing an NPC and breaking a quest isn't freedom, it's shitty design. There's fundamentally no difference between breaking a quest and not doing the quest

Except for the fact that this is essentially you doing the quest you absolute monkey. You get an updated quest log for killing the quest giver. Therefore it's an outcome of the quest.

You're fucking arguing for "open ended design" and then you turn around and say "more choices" is a bad thing? This is why people shouldn't argue with Nintendo fanboys, it's a severe waste of time.

OOT shit should be there user. I'm the same poster who replied I just glossed over that statement. OOT is where the timeline splits. ANY timeline that exists beyond OOT is canon to OOT. In fact OOT should always influence all other games and timelines. It simply did exist and is what caused all other 3 timelines.

Or maybe they priortize actually good content (side quests, combat etc) over some cuhraaazy mechanics that get boring after 10 hours just like they did in old cuhraaazy open world games like Just Cause 2 and MGSV.

Not really.
There's no tent or magic cottage for me to pitch up and rest in
No houseboat to sale open seas in (because there is zero seafaring element)
The house customization end way too quick
There are too few and normal weather effects
And that's just Comfiness, not even mentioning actual combat and side content.
Still a solid game tho

>ESL tard rage aside, killing an NPC and breaking a quest isn't freedom, it's shitty design
Oh boy

>For one, it's got a completely open-ended design
Also this user
>killing an NPC and breaking a quest isn't freedom, it's shitty design.

The game focuses too much on open world design. You can complete the main quests in any order meaning there can be no narrative story that develops over time or unique items or skills past the tutorial area. You can go anywhere from the start of the game meaning that the world scales to you instead of some areas being harder than others. You can climb everything allowing you to skip interesting content.

They sacrificed too much structure in the name of freedom. As a result the game feels devoid of real content. It's just busywork. They should have had proper dungeons that they guide you through in certain order like previous zelda games.

>moving the goal posts

The first Red Dead Redemption is the only open world game in which it's actually fun to 100%. To this day I think it's still the best overall.

shrinequests are sidequests in the literal sense of being optional quests, but if you're really going to be that picky then fine

hobbies of the rich
a shady customer
the sheep rustlers
sunshroom sensing
take back the sea
playtime with cotta
arrows of burning heat
face the frost talus
the road to respect
balloon flight
the eighth heroine
the secret club's secret
the forgotten sword
the korok trials
legendary rabbit trial
special delivery
lynel safari
giant of ralis pond
the stone monuments
diving is beauty
the horseback hoodlums
thunder magnet
trial of the sword

I really do not understand how people think BotW is amazing design, where a game like MGSV seems to use the open world concept much better. In MGSV it's really cool to approach the different bases and it feels like you can tackle them all you want. BotW fans brag about how the game gives you so many options but usually there is one obvious way to do it, and the game's shrines are self contained as opposed to MGSV's open bases. MGSV feels much more emergment and variant. Not to mention the gameplay and controls themselves are way better.

I will take MGSV's mission style over BotW's overrated "chemistry system" any day.

I can accept koroks just taking that form long-term beyond the ocean, because I imagine it's just dictated by the deku tree and maybe it takes extra effort to change them back, but hunks of wood like those in the ranch should no longer be there after what I imagine might have been tens of thousands of years underwater, and the zora supposedly went extinct because of the mass presence of salt water.

I'm actually so fucking glad I emulated this piece of shit

start off game
>plateau
>loved it becaused it was everything that made me want to buy this game in the first place based on the gameplay videos
>get paraglider and glide off
>play for around 15 hours or so exploring and having a blast, absolute kino sense of surviving/adventure because you actually have to manage your resources and you really don't know where the fuck you are going
15+ hours
>Ok... What's that I see in the distan... Oh, it's a mokoblin camp. Yea, think i'll avoid that for now, don't want to break my guardian axe
>Oh shit, wtf is this cool as fuck rock format-.... Oh, another korok seed. Seems pretty handy I guess, hopefully I find that fat korok guy so I can get another bow slot
>urgh.. My fucking shiekah slate won't shut the fuck up, I just did a shrine 2 minutes ago, fuck it i'm avoiding it for now
>HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT DRAGON, HOLY FUCKING SHIT IT DROPPED A SCALE I WONDER WHAT IT'S FO-.... oh, another shrine. Heh
Well, I guess the open world "exploration" has burned me out, i'll check out some quests
>Oh, so I need to collect 10 circkets for some guy. Ok Typical of an open world game, hopefully they get better
>Ok, now I need a few logs, there's a few trees right here, that's convenient!
>Oh, you want some chilli peppers to make me a cool potion? Nice, i'll get on it. Oh, the potion is to protect me from the cold... Well, if I didn't have this warmth tunic, that could be handy I guess
Eh, think i' google some "fun" side quests.
>Oh, everyone keeps telling me about Eventide Island, i'll check it out
>Heh, pretty cool. It's kinda like a smaller scale version of the Great Plateau, something I already did but cool nonetheless
>Oh, Tarrey Town? Sounds like a cool side quests I guess, let's try it out
>"Can you collect me 20 pieces of wood and find me a vendor?"
Ok, time to delete this piece of shit from my PC

Attached: 1408497674675.jpg (251x242, 12K)

It's big but there's nothing there to actually discover. It's just an empty space.

No, the worthless collectible seeds do not count.

It was really good but I truly see it as a stepping stone for an even better game.
Next time I think they can do better via increasing combat mechanics via directional strikes and unlocking abilities.
The game was so huge it's not a surprise there's repeating content, and I'm sure next time they'll make the areas more diverse and have more enemies

Attached: 70600692_p21.png (450x800, 162K)

This. If it's not a seed it's yet another blue shrine or a weapon that will break on two battles.

>You get an updated quest log for killing the quest giver. Therefore it's an outcome of the quest.
You absolutely unequivocally do not.
Take a random quest in Morrowind:
en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Bank_Courier
It literally does not have an index for quest completion if any of the involved NPCs are dead. You don't get anything in your journal, the game does not acknowledge that you've killed the NPCs involved, you didn't resolve the quest.

It literally isn't a choice that's supported by the game. That's why I specifically said "breaking" quests and not "resolving" quests. There are games that are much better about this, but not Morrowind.

Anyway, there is a difference between "open-ended design" and "multiple endings," and one doesn't necessarily mean the other. "Open-ended" is probably not a good term for this exact reason.

>BotW fans brag about how the game gives you so many options but usually there is one obvious way to do it
you might unironically be a brainlet if that's what you genuinely believe

>haha im edgy and my opinion is reinforced by the fact that i emulated this media
stopped reading there faggot.
you obviously lack confidence in your opinion because you opened your argument with such a meaningless statement .

I know you did, it's fine though

>shrinequests are sidequests in the literal sense of being optional quests,
Not listed as side quests

>hobbies of the rich
"Kill 2 guardian stalkers for a silver rupee"
>a shady customer
"Take a picture of this guy for a silver rupee"
>the sheep rustlers
"Hope you're not burnt out from killing mokoblin camps, because I want you to go kill a mokoblin camp for a silver rupee!"
>sunshroom sensing
"Take a picture of the mushroom literally 1 metre away from the quest giver"
>take back the sea
"SURPRISE, I WANT YOU TO CLEAR ANOTHER BOKOBLIN CAMP, LOL"

Yea, you get the point. What's even sadder, is i'm not even simplifying these quests. That's literally it, lmao. A quick google search of each one shows you a 1-2 minute youtube video.

The side quests in this game are absolutely the worst of any i've seen in an open world game. Even MMOs had betters ones than this shit

This should be pinned desu.

pretty much had the exact same experience. Game feels like a tech demo desu, the content is so fucking shit

What I don't get is why people think Breath othe Wild Zelda is thicc or has a big ass.

Yes, her tights are nice, but those tights are literally the only thing she's got going for her in the ass department, and they're a fucking article of clothing.

I know someone's probably gonna post some idealized fanart and think it proves me wrong, but all the fanart in the world doesn't change the fact that, in game, BotW!Zelda is flat as a board on both sides and has narrower hips than fucking Link.

I'm not even one of those idiots who demands that all female videogame characters give me boners or whatever. I wouldn't even be making this post if people didn't keep spouting shit that is easily disproven just by turning on the game and looking at the fucking character. I'm legit confused as to how the fuck people think she is in any way even remotely thicc, even by fucking Japanese standards.

BOTWFAGS BTFO

>136 posts
>62 IPs

Attached: 1556229078138.jpg (1000x900, 450K)

the problem with mgs5 is because you can go to places that take place in the main story but don't move the story foward, the only place it happens is the quiet boss fight.
If it had the non linear mission progression everyone would forgive the shit story

Took you long enough to google everything you needed to continue this discussion I see. Anyway, you're wrong
>You absolutely unequivocally do not.
You absolutely do and if your knowledge came from personal experience and not the wiki (lmao) you would know this
youtube.com/watch?v=xyzm-1Dece8

Guy kills quest characters and instantly gets an update. Play the game
> the game does not acknowledge that you've killed the NPCs involved, you didn't resolve the quest.
See above, outright lie further proving you haven't played Morrowind.

Play the game, Nintenbabby

>Anyway, there is a difference between "open-ended design" and "multiple endings,"
Nobody said anything about endings.

Being able to kill everyone and everything in your game world, is absolutely objectively more open ended design than a few gameplay quirks and gimmicks (that Morrowind also has in spades).

You're wrong on this buddy, Morrowind makes boTW look like an Uncharted game, never mind Daggerfall which is even more open ended than Morrowind by the way. You would know this if Skyrim wasn't the only Elder Scrolls game you played

>"Open-ended" is probably not a good term for this exact reason.
You were the one who used the term "open ended design" first, dumbass

Not him but you're absolutely wrong on the game not acknowledging dead NPCs. The first thing that pops up when an NPC dies is telling you to reload a save file if you want to finish that quest or else, "live with the consequences" or some shit. The journal also does update telling you "so and so is dead", I dunno why the wiki doesn't list it but it definitely does acknowledge it.

>[moving of goalposts intensifies]
what do you gain from this?
you asked for quests that aren't fetchquests, I listed them and even provided their names and you're now claiming those don't count even though they perfectly fit even your arbitrary criteria.
>i'm not even simplifying these quests
you actually are, though. For example, a shady customer isn't really about taking the photograph, it's about meeting Kilton which then open up his shop from there and he'll continue cropping up in various locations. The only one you're right about is sunshroom sensing, which I listed by mistake

>what do you gain from this?
Proving that the side quests are absolute trash in BoTW.

>you asked for quests that aren't fetchquests,
You still haven't proven that they aren'tt. There are 75 side quests in the game, you listed 23 and some of them are side quests.

Taking a picture of something is absolutely a fetch quest. You're fetching a picture for an NPC.

Never seen such a one-sided beatdown of a BotW drone. Most people would give up once they mental gymnastics their way through a couple of posts and start ignoring everything else in favor of responding to one singular point.

Personally, Terraria did open world kino far better than Zelda ever could. It's just a better game all around.

Attached: image.jpg (720x720, 123K)

Xenoblade X came out two years before and genuinely has a better open world.
People consider BotW good for its open-ended, physics-based gameplay, not its world.

>You still haven't proven that they aren't
really, nigger?
really?
>you listed 23 and some of them are side quests.
what

quests are definitely weak in botw, I ain't denying that if that's all you want to discuss, but why are you being so petty over what constitutes as a fetchquest? If you're not gathering something or fetching an object it ain't a fetchquest my dude. I even omitted quests about talking to certain people or taming wildlife (for example, the royal white horse quest) as I wasn't sure whether those would count as fetchquests, but now I see you're just being dumb on purpose anyway.

got 200 hours in both games, I sort of agree - XCX has a better world in terms of aesthetics, and it also has way better worldbuilding with the different ayy lmaos and how they interact in NLA. BotW's strength as an open world is definitely more on its interactive environments than the actual world itself, but I do feel it achieved a lot in terms of the shaping of its environment being more inviting to explore. I felt little reason to explore in XCX, whilst in BotW (in spite of its obvious repetition issues) I found myself wanting to explore every nook and cranny and I think it's because of how its world is laid out to draw your attention to its points of interest.

That all said, XCX is hugely underrated and it is a crime so few people played it

only mental gymnastics I'm seeing itt is from an anti-botw shitposter

1. Spirit orbs are always locked in Shrines, meaning in order to get them you have to sit through two loading screens.
2. spirit orbs are a currency, meaning you have to go through an extra annoying step of having to go to a goddess statue to upgrade your health.
3. Spirit orbs are inherently less valuable than heart pieces because of how many there are. The most heart pieces a Zelda ever had was 52 in Majora's Mask. BotW has 120 spirit orbs
4. Your stamina wheel in Skyward Sword was about as long as the fully upgraded stamina wheel in BotW, giving me the impression that it was nerfed solely to give the player something else to spend spirit orbs on