Is "Soul vs Souless" a meme? I see it a lot on here about old games

Is "Soul vs Souless" a meme? I see it a lot on here about old games.

Attached: soul vs soulless.png (784x744, 1.05M)

it's not a meme but it is a sign that people don't know how to properly communicate their thoughts and resort to vague baby-speak.

Attached: 1552003867291.jpg (1920x1080, 265K)

Looks like Jojo ruined his art

user everything on Yea Forums is a joke, including you

Angel Island, home

His anatomy improved but his shading and detail is ass now

left is unironically better
at least it wuz till i fucked everything up

This is what happens when you learn how to draw from textbooks and deviantart comments.

So Dobson is correct to ignore both?

>Soul vs Souless
Yeah it's just a meme, but it doesn't mean it's just a joke
Plenty of remakes fail to recapture the original feeling of a game

Attached: 1438731835589.jpg (761x1100, 277K)

No. Ur dumb if you can't distinguish

Attached: funkycompare2.jpg (1700x900, 258K)

Attached: s o u l.png (1066x1066, 597K)

It's been so long since I last played vanilla that I almost forgot how Thunder Bluff used to look like.

It has literally nothing to do with that character model.

Attached: remake_superstar_005.jpg (1600x1400, 447K)

autists

Attached: soul.jpg (586x678, 92K)

How does this even happen

Characters can be soulful or soulless you retard

Reminder that NPCs don’t understand the concept of soul and it makes them mad

Seconding this question

It's a shame that it gets dismissed as a meme because I think there's some truth to it.

One is drawn on paper, other is digital

Attached: mario3xworld_cave.jpg (2108x944, 410K)

Yes, unfortunately Dobson spends more time virtue signalling on facebook or wherever he is now than actually improving.

over reliance on post processing

op here i started the thread as bait for a SvSL thread. It's real.

It is a meme when people just call anything old soulless. The idea of something having soul or not in any medium has existed for a long time, it's just that people are reducing it to "Things were better when I was 5-12"

Soul is a buzzword, it's meaningless. It's used by people who are too dumb to put into words why a game's visuals appeal to them.

Attached: Soulless (C64).webm (640x480, 2.04M)

I think he put in more work on the background than the character

how are you supposed to learn then?

Attached: evodaisycompare1B.jpg (757x900, 109K)

The background is just a filtered photo, like 99% of digital art.

unironically true

11 years is a long time, people change and their art changes with them. It's not always for the better. Having said that, the older drawing almost seems accidentally good when you look at the guy's other art from the same time.

The medium isn't the problem.

>one is a bimbo, the other wants to eat your soul.

buzzword and buzzworded

This is actually a pretty good example, there are so many little details on the left that helps build up the personality on the character. On the right the design is so "clean" that he could be literally anyone.

Left is a thousand times better. The style is just so much better.

The left literally looks soulless. Those eyes look like they're about ready to suck out your soul_

Attached: party3.jpg (1376x800, 262K)

Is true for pretty much every Nintendo game and anime from the 90s

Man I love alternate outfits in games. Best thing ever.

It's an issue that permeates all videogame discourse.
The language for describing games hasn't been developed well at all.
I don't know how many times I've seen game discussions that seemingly go nowhere because of this

Yeah, but the left is a CGI bullshot render created using the same computers used for Jurassic Park. The right is a slightly touched up version of the real time in-game character model. Having all that shit dangling off of him is absolutely unnecessary in-game, it would look goofy as hell flopping all over, and it would look unnatural if it all just stood still. And it doesn't mention how he looks like he has actual fur on the right, while on the left it looks like somebody glued some '70s shag carpeting onto him.

Attached: DKCTFNS_Funky.jpg (1280x720, 322K)

It certainly doesn't help that you have legitimately autistic adult-babies in every facet of the industry

Yeah, pretty much. It is usually short for "the remake/sequal isn't original as the first, and I am more nostalgic towards the previous one."

>Went from a life less static model with no expression to one that's alive
How is the right soulless again?

That is a huge issue too.
gaming hasn't been able to attract the interest of too many academics unless it's to study tangential subjects in their field (like a psychologist looking at how games may relate to child psychology for example).
So the people who are at the forefront of the community analyzing and commenting on games tend to be amateurs and not really know what they're talking about or how to even go about coming to proper conclusions.

It doesn't help that gamers for a long time were seen from the outside as basement-dwellers, spergs, losers, edgy teens, misogynistic, fags, etc which caused those same people to band together around the medium.

Wait a minute.

Attached: Knux.jpg (640x360, 30K)

All that time spent playing games you could've been learning to draw.

Attached: 54512828_131233914665390_8915996674608572477_n.jpg (1080x1080, 200K)

I know and I hate myself for it.

But I already know how to draw

Coping experienced artists.

But I'm studying it, I'm just slow to learn techniques.

I’ve been trying to start drawing regularly for years but I’m a programmer and I think my brain just doesn’t work that way

Doing your own god damn studies.

There's something about the left that channels a classic aesthetic, while the right just has more shading. In general with many modern artstyles there's something lacking compared to the 90s-2000s era.

>10 years ago I actually knew how to draw and well
>years of atrophy reduced my skill to only crude cartooning

Sad

Do textbooks not count as "your own studies"?

>10 years ago I actually knew how to draw and well
Prove it

RU me?

Attached: 1555736576874.png (360x351, 114K)

Have to look up right side of the brain exercises.

Learn the fundamentals and copy you favorite artists.

The left looks like something out of Arc the Lad, I really, really, REALLY love it.

If this thread is still alive when I get home I will ;)

Attached: oddysseyfail4.jpg (2128x2912, 1.21M)

How do you “copy your favourite artist”? Just trace?

Same. I feel like if I add yet another skillset I'm supposed to learn I'll have spread myself too thinly, as well.

New Dory is more charming than old Dory

not him but i believe he means to try and mimic the art style without tracing.