Metroidvania

would a multiplayer Metroidvania work?

Attached: Metroidvania.jpg (1920x1080, 243K)

>Rogue Legacy
>Good
lol

Bumping this thread because I'm interested in the subject.
But my first and non depth response would be no, since the feeling of isolation is what made the metroid games good. However as I'm writing this Kirby Amazing mirror cames back to mind and it was great

Attached: morphball.jpg (600x607, 99K)

Are we suggesting that MapleStory wasn't basically that?

it would. terraria and starbound were almost that

Castlevania Harmony of Despair

I don't consider procedurally generated games to be Metroidvanias.

Not even close. the most important part, what makes a Metroidvania a Metroidvania is utility based progression.

kirby and the amazing mirror is pretty fucking good dude.

Yes, but progression abilities need to be shared among every player in some fashion

Honestly Kirby and the amazing mirror might be the closest thing we could get for a multiplayer Metroidvania. The thing is though is how you make the areas accessible. From what I remember, in this Kirby game, everything was accessible from the get go but you had to use certain abilities at some points IIRC.

Terraria still matches that. Cloud in a jar, run boots, hookshoot, wings.

Are RE games metroidvanias, albeit the progression is item puzzle based? Is RE outbreak a multiplayer metroidvania?

>would a multiplayer Metroidvania work?

Yes, but only if it was an add on vs. mode. I'd love to fight people in Hollow knight or Super Metroid in 4 player-smash-like arenas, but in the single player game? Naa.

Attached: 1419916172292.jpg (500x689, 113K)

Yes it was called Harmony of Despair and I loved it.

wtf, two of those aren't even metroidvanias.
I'd say it's just progression gated by some sort of mechanic, which includes simple knowledge of the world/environment.

Metroidvanias are games which focus on the exploration of non-linear, interconnected maps with some sort of progression gating.

Rabi Ribi has multiplayer

The fact this game is still stuck languishing on last gen consoles infuriates me to no end.

Konami would just fuck up a port

It is the fate of some console-only games. I can't just dig it up and play it on PC with my friends. At best I'd have to gather them at my place to play it locally.

Attached: p7756jerzh221.gif (294x154, 971K)

How do you think I feel about MAG?

bump

What makes metroidvania? Locking content behind unlockable skills? What if we ever get a game where you can finish it with basic set of moves and no upgrades? Is it still metroidvania?

you are never really blocked of going anywhere without using those items
its not the same

Yes, Rabi-Ribi does exactly that but it's still a metroidvania

Kirby and the amazing mirror had multiplayer

isnt there a big multi mod for one of the castlevania handheld games?

kirby blocked off certain paths behind certain enemies, while a critical path was pretty much always accessible with enemies near by there were some paths that could only be taken by carrying a power far enough

I would consider dark souls a metroidvania or atleast metroidvania-lite. while progression isnt locked behind utility or combat abilities it does gate you in a non linear way, encourages exploration and is filled with extra content that requires it.

It could work but the main problem is session length as this games tend to go for quite awhile unless speedruned (HK took me like 40 h on my first go) so you have to design some asynchronous multiplayer or significatively cut the length in which case id love to see some kind of PvP with an emphasis on speed on navigation and dicking each other to get the upgrades