NuDOOM

What was so terrible about this game? I really enjoyed it. And the dynamic soundtrack was masterful.

Attached: nuDOOM.png (720x1080, 1.43M)

Nothing, classic shooter faggots get off on shitting on everything that isn't og unmodded doom and quake.

>can't just aim somewhere near middle of the screen with shotun to kill everything on every level
>can't slide away from all fights
>no wall hugging for secrets
>no "carefully placed" medkits and ammo around every single corner
>enemies are not just easy targets running around missing all their shots for some reason
>not released when I was a kid
Wow they ruined all things that made Doom game a Doom game.

It was pretty good all things considered. I disliked the locked arenas though I gotta admit that the devs did an extremely good job at disguising the limited number of enemies possible at once.
Still prefer Hulshult's take on the original Doom soundtrack over Mick Gordon's interpretation.

It was too popular and it really wasn't all that much like other Doom games. Still good though

This. I love the original Doom and thought DOOM was pretty good.

Sòytendo Söywtch

I didn't like the art style, looked way too cartoonish compared to the old one

dunno, I enjoyed it.
the chainsaw mechanics were pretty bad though, wish it was just a very powerful melee weapon instead of an instant kill.
also the bossfights were pretty lame but that's the case for most fps.

arena combat, limited enemy numbers, doomguy is short, just like the guy in bioshock is. what the fuck is wrong with people that design the height?

It was a great game

>Doomguy is short

How much is that really worth? Like most FPSs, your camera POV is anchored in the character's chest, and the only friendly NPC you have any chance to compare Doomguy to is a 10 foot tall robot.

>stop what your doing and do this little QTE gore kill (I hope you like watching this another 2000 times!)

Nothing, it's a fine game

>looked way too cartoonish compared to the old one
what

Attached: 9d5.png (680x680, 59K)

In what way did og doom have better controls?

SJW trannies ruined it

nah you got holograms and the regular dead zombies to compare to as well. it really bothers me once i noticed it and i dont understand why the devs do it. in stalker too, but most mods will fix it by setting the camera a bit higher.

There's nothing wrong with being short you fucking cunt piece of shit fucking asshole prick motherfucker

Congrats on the fact you enjoy eating shit? I dunno what to tell you chief.

I literally never got tired of glory killing, and if you hate them so much you should play on the Nightmare difficulties.

Glory kill is a gimmick
Linear level design
Shoehorned progression system
Small arenas with very few enemies
Dubstep soundtrack

Attached: 1504518764291.jpg (916x610, 210K)

>WHY IS DOOMGUY SHORT?!
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>t. manlet

Attached: yikes from me dog.png (500x377, 102K)

I'll preface this by saying in general I enjoyed it enough to play through it twice and am looking forward to Doom Eternal but here are my issues

Glory kills(e.g. getting into melee range to restore health) is an interesting mechanic but slows the game down too much.
It's basically a replica of Duke Nukem's ego mechanic where you can restore health by risking being shot to take down an enemy at melee range. It works well in these kind of fast paced shooters because you're expected to be constantly moving. The issue is you shoot enemies enough and they just start standing still and glowing. Conveying information isn't wrong but standing still is a really bad choice. Demons should be getting more aggressive, like a cornered beast, not stumbling around like they're drunk.
Also there's too much emphasis on "cool brutality," elaborate takedown animations. They work in MachineGames' Wolfenstein because BJ can actually use Nazis as temporary human shields during shootouts, and otherwise having an animation during temporary stealth segments runs the risk of you being exposed by staying out too long in the open doing a takedown, so there's a tradeoff mechanic there.
Here it's just for the sake of being BRUTAL and it's kind of offensive considering how fast the Berserk-powered-up takedowns are compared to the normal ones. Those should have been the default. You're seeing the same trend in Doom Eternal with cracked walls and the "punch ladder"
Everybody else in the thread and otherwise everywhere else have talked about the arena issue, how the game basically just shuttles you from demon arena to demon arena and forces you to kill everything and then the door to the next room opens. You wander down a hallway, time to start killing shit again. But it really kills the pacing since everything is constantly going from zero to 100 back to zero. There's very rarely small skirmishes or zones to scavenge and recover since you're so dependent on chainsaw kills for recovering most ammo.

Attached: 1527265608614.jpg (1121x1200, 103K)

When the fuck is sigil coming out.

I enjoyed it though. It's not an objectively bad game, just a weaker DOOM game.

It's not a bad game, the problem with it is that it's just painkiller with doom characters. It plays nothing like classic doom, and as a huge fan of classic doom who also hates painkiller, it was underwhelming.

what's wrong with arenas?
>circular locked off design means you can't backpedal infinitely and force enemies to come towards you while bottlenecking them all, so you need to stay engaged
>circular design means mobile enemies can effectively surround you and force you to keep track of your surroundings instead of everything being conveniently placed in your field of vision when you enter a room
>enemy threat comes from their mobility unlike in old Doom where most enemies with guns were intended to be glorified turrets, so a different approach to level design was required

also, keep in mind how nobody ever complains arena->corridor->arena level design in DMC/Bayonetta, I wonder why that is
>b-but they're different genres
you're going to have to explain more in depth than that

>muh exploration
"it's an ok game but a shit DOOM game because shit exploration" is a bogus argument that fails to measure a game for its own merits, especially one which is radically different from the ground up to begin with
if anything nuDoom would've been better off dropping exploration entirely because it's just not designed around it

>(I hope you like watching this another 2000 times!)
nobody ever complained about Zandatsus in MGR or deathblows in Sekiro so I fail to see why it's suddenly such a huge issue here

>very few enemies
>muh console limitations
Quit pushing this meme, see webm related. The engine could support tons of enemies at once, the problem is that having 20 enemies shooting projectiles at you in enclosed arenas is downright overwhelming and not fun to deal with

Attached: doom_toomanyenemies.webm (640x360, 2.68M)

Only way to dodge projectiles is to constantly run, you always have to spaz out instead of methodicly killing monsters.

Glory kills are too slow at the start.
Too much wub wub.
Doomguy is slow.
Balance is all over the place once you master micro missiles and double shotgun you're unstoppable.
Some runes are overpowered, some are useless.
Only 12 enemies in arena.
Not enough maze.
Some designs were shit.

Still enjoyed the game and hoping that Eternal will at fix some of the issues.

Attached: 1463160373053.gif (488x519, 400K)

It wasn't terrible, the closed arena design was indeed shit and the glory kill system is kind of iffy but otherwise it was great,anybody who says it's a bad game is just mad its not a level pack for doom 2

>the problem is that having 20 enemies shooting projectiles at you in enclosed arenas is downright overwhelming and not fun to deal with
You've clearly missed the point why original Doom was fun in the first place.

I've always though that Doom is spiritually much closer to Serious Sam with it's crowd control than Quake, which is what the devs tried to pander in nuDoom by adding jump pads and shit.

Have you actually played original doom, motherfucker? Enemy encounters are puzzles that you have to overcome. By encapsulating encounters into arenas you reduce complexity.

>implying you dont sprint around constantly in Doom
Did you even play the original? Doomguy runs at 50 mph if you circle strafe

press x on glowing enemy to watch same brutal kill cutscene for 1000th time instead of actually just shooting it
that was gay

Better speed, movement and aiming.

190cm boi B)

While you can spaz out it's not recomended, because when you run it's harder to prioritise targets and choosing proper tools.

>Enemy encounters are puzzles that you have to overcome.
No they aren't. At least not in the base game. Your epic community WADs don't count.

I liked the game, but I only found it fun on the first playthrough. I have no desire to replay the full game as much as I do the other Doom games. It's like the game doesn't have any lasting power, I don't know how to describe it.

No they aren't. What kind of retard spouts shit like this? There was nothing puzzle like about Doom encountef design, unless you are so smoothbrained you think dodging and enemy prioritization count as a puzzle.

Basically this

Attached: 3752396E-EB1B-4715-8C00-AB08240F48D8.gif (357x311, 1.64M)

>You've clearly missed the point why original Doom was fun in the first place.
There it worked because there was usually enough cover to hide behind against hitscan enemies and fired projectiles were slow anyways
Here enemies are more aggressive and lethal on their own, you now have enemies capable of LEADING their shots meaning you can't just circlestrafe like a fucking moron if you don't want to get hit, on top of enemies being able to do shit like firing airburst projectiles, projectiles which leave a lasting pool of damaging acid, and guys who can leap great distances to fuck you over. There's legit criticism to be had here, but for some reason you can only see it from the perspective as a boomer shooter, which is what's holding this genre back.

>By encapsulating encounters into arenas you reduce complexity
Nigger, how short-sighted do you have to be to think it only worked right in Doom because of that? The reasons the encounters WERE like that in the first place was because the enemies themselves were dumb, slow, and unthreatening on their own (most of them). They had to stack the level against you so you'd actually get challenged. Here in nuDoom the enemies are a lot more intelligent and as a result the arenas don't have to place you in a position where you're disadvantaged, the enemy AI effectively crafts the encounter design on its own. Have you never played Unreal Gold at least?

Shit nigger, enemy AI is the founding principle behind the enemy and level design in beat 'em ups from Streets of Rage to DMC. You faggots think nuDoom in terms of a DOOM game whereas in reality it's taking more and more after Japanese action games.

You couldn't even aim up or down

I didn't like the level design as much and the music was ass cheeks. But I still enjoyed it

>Doomguy was slow
He's faster than any other modern FPS protagonist. Maybe hes not Quake fast, but he moves pretty quickly.
>not enough maze
Fuck you, mazes are boring
>some designs were shit
Which ones?

>the music was ass
Maybe, but at least it was faithful to the original. The metal/dubstep combo is basically a mid 2010s version of the chiptune Metallica plagarism of the 90s

>autoaim
>better aiming
get a load of this shitter

>tiny, noisy crowd whines a lot in your personal echo chamber (Yea Forums)
>suddenly EVERYONE hates thing the neckbearded virginal puritanical hypocritical pieces of shit on Yea Forums represent society as a whole

Yeah, no, most people who enjoy video games and played DOOM enjoyed it and everytime I hear some faggot squee about the melee animation ruining the entire game I get a big, fat boner.

And you can't even do that in nuDoom
The problem with that aproach is that enemies by their nature are reusable, and unless they are made to work in a squads, are being overcomed with same tactics. And there is no necesary need for "smarter" AI if "dumb" works just fine. Also, doom is not japanise. The only decent shooter from japan i know is splatoon, and it is more of a puzzle-platformer than shooter.

I liked it.

The RPG mechanics were really shitty and took away from the game.

>it was too popular

What sort of autistic hipster tier criticism is this shit? Its a fucking single player game who gives a flying fuck what other people thought/did with it?

>And there is no necesary need for "smarter" AI if "dumb" works just fine
probably the most retarded argument I've heard for a while
god forbid first-person shooters try to experiment and step outside their comfort zone of being another Doom clone

>And you can't even do that in nuDoom
>you can't dodge or prioritize enemies in nuDoom
Certified brainlet post

>splatoon
>puzzle platformer
how the fuck are there so many smoothbrains in this thread