15 years later, it's still the best third-person shooter game ever made

15 years later, it's still the best third-person shooter game ever made.

Why can't any TPS game top RE4? Why is it so unbeatable?

Attached: re4.jpg (1500x844, 245K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tiermaker.com/create/resident-evil-games
youtube.com/watch?v=Uj2Q3L134mY
youtu.be/q_yrh6SkyKQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

shinji mikami and peak capcom

>re4
>best third-person shooter game ever made.

Attached: becca_face_concerned_2.jpg (500x549, 41K)

Resident Evil4 hits a great balance between action and horror-lite elements. It has an awesome level designer and beautiful backgrounds. It feels very real, and it makes me want to explore, but not like I'm the boss of a group exploring and doing crazy stuff. It's very rewarding to discover things along the way and to not be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of content. The story is a little repetitive, but then again, I could care less for that. It gets very serious and makes you want to get out of town, because it's pretty much full-time. The story is a bit slow paced (especially between the first few chapters), but this is nothing serious, either.

>best third-person shooter game ever made
it's barely even an action game compared to a real TPS like Max Payne.
Maybe you could get away with saying its the best TPS action-horror game ever made, but then there's Dead Space to compete with still

>rewards careful aim, incentivises aiming for places other than the head
>separates mobility and shooting, a perfect compromise in a game full of melee enemies
>plenty of choice in weapons and weapon upgrades
>rewards exploration with money which is always useful
>enemy variety
>environment variety
>classic "just fucking empty your gun into his face" style bosses
>no series baggage
the start of the island is pretty lackluster though. too much of the same thing too quickly.

Don't forget it has excellent difficulty.
>Normal
For people who want a perfect balance of fun and challenging, thanks to the dynamic difficulty keeping things always just right.
>Professional
For people who want something challenging, thanks to basically the dynamic difficulty being permanently cranked to max setting.

RE4 is good and TPS owes its evolution to the game, but it's far from the best TPS ever made. Vanquish, Max Payne 3 and Gears of War 2 have that title imo.

Remake 2 is way better

Attached: IMG_20190508_165230.jpg (661x576, 82K)

>Muh Max Payne.
There's a reason why Dead space and RE4 were so bag back in the day . Who talk about max payne more then 1 week ? yeah that's what i thought.

Uhh no
Not when Mafia exists

Attached: Mafia-1-1.jpg (800x600, 159K)

the fuck are you talking about? Max Payne is cited constantly here

no sex discrimination

Dead Space is better than every Resident Evil game.

Max Payne is an overrated action game, because ̶ it's a single-player game. ̶

It's a pretty solid single-player experience, but it isn't the best game in the series. ̶ And it's just a shame that when it comes to games that are made by people, the quality can rarely be compared from one game to another. ̶ If you like the genre then give Grand Theft Auto a try but if you don't - look out for it.

Grand Theft Auto 5 is a game that's just a whole lot of action packed mayhem. ̶ But if you want to really experience it you should take a look at ̶ Grand Theft Auto IV ̶ or the original Grand Theft Auto 3. ̶ For the first time in the series that's got tons of car customisation options. ̶

REmake 2 isnt even better than the original game, which isnt better than RE4.
Fuck off.

Uncharted 4 too. I know everyone here automatically hates Sony and ND by default, but as TPS lover who consciously tries to stay unbiased, I have to say it's just as good as those others you listed (at least for the fighting parts)

You're not wrong, UC4 is fantastic although I'd rank Lost Legacy's gunplay just a bit higher due to the variety of weapons thanks to lockboxes, and the free-roam aspect.

although it is much slower than Uncharted 3, the latter being quite a leap from the first game.

I have no problems with the action side of things, I like that a lot about it – it's a bit of a different style from the others too – a very different feel, that I really love. It's also worth mentioning that the combat feels pretty similar compared to Uncharted 3 with a few exceptions, which I would say are mostly the same (just a bit more detailed), like I mentioned earlier, the weapons are a lot more detailed, it's just that the combat feels like a bit more solid. I don't like that it's not as easy to pick fights as it was either, so it is interesting that you need to learn these different ways to break into fights – this gives players a lot of freedom to figure their own thing and has me wishing that it could make fighting in other areas easier.

REmake 2 is way better than the original in every aspect but Kendo and Irons and arguably Ben. I don't get why the original 2 is so popular 1 and 3 shit on it.
Also 1, 3, REmake and REmake 2 > 4

yea by (you)

>re4

Attached: claire_face_smug3.jpg (614x579, 69K)

How does 3 shit on 2? RE3 is just like a Jill-in-the-city expansion pack for 2. All the characters were completely forgettable except for Jill. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but it's just equal to RE2 at best

>No zapping
>complete bastardized of Claire and her campaign
>scenario B recycles the same fucking boss fights in the same locations of their scenario A counterpart
>Claire always fight Birkin 4 while Leon always fight Mr. X no matter the scenario
>the same has more continuity errors than the original PS1 game
>terrible OST
The original is better, and that game isnt better than RE4.
Also on the topic, RE1 is nowhere near the best in the series.

>good game
>in game lootbox precursors

How about the new RE2? Vanquish?

>that game isnt better than RE4.

yes it is, so is 1 and 3

Attached: jordansmug2.jpg (768x836, 87K)

>it's still the best third-person shooter game ever made.
It's a great game but Dead Space improved upon it.

Attached: 1480416045045.png (500x500, 264K)

RE4 is just perfectly paced. constantly introducing new elements to combat, lots of variety in enemies and weapons too.

Why are you such an unapologetic nostalgiafaggot? Its great bit chill the fuck out.

Just started RE4. I just beat the fish boss. Am I basically cheating by using the scoped rifle? I feel like I can just kill every group in 2 shots since they clump together and can't detect me until I shoot them.

>shinji Mikami

oh yeah, because everyone fucking loved The Evil Within so much. Mikami is only good BECAUSE of other peak Capcom devs. On his own and he can be a problem.

Fuck off waifufag.

>15 years later, it's still the best third-person shooter game ever made.
Not when Max Payne exists.

>OG RE2 isn't better than RE4

fucking rofl

No gonna lie, I legit expected Mr.X to be an annoyance going into REmake 2 but something about the never ending game of cat and mouse is surprisingly fun.

This

Lets see that RE tier list

tiermaker.com/create/resident-evil-games

Attached: EFB809F4-AB6D-40E9-8F74-7A9581047012.jpg (584x435, 72K)

Gears and killzone ruined TPS forever

This is why every TPS is a wall hugging bloody screen so real coconut shy simulation

The exceptions are things like RE4, Alan wake and dead space1

The biggest issue is that he doesn't leave when you're trying to fiddle with puzzles.
I needed to use the jack on the moving bookshelves in the police station library and it took several trips of kiting him around the room because he wouldn't fuck off long enough to finish the animation.

>forgetting about Vanquish and Binary Domain

It's not. Its overrated as hell, and I say that even though I love RE2. RE3, REmake, and RE4 are better.

Well he does, you do the clocktower alone. If he had followed me in there then I'd have an issue. You can't have X not go into the library.

Binary Domain was garbage.
It had some neat ideas with the voice command shit that didn't work, but the UI, level design, and general gameplay was atrocious.

No, in fact I typically skip it every run because there are better options

Remake 2 is better as a horror game, like it makes you feel more anxious and gives you more horror thrills, but it is not fun action like RE4 is. You could never have a true Mercenaries minigame in Remake 2 for example

Attached: whats that smell.jpg (1920x1080, 285K)

Yea I basically waited until his footsteps were completely gone before attempting that.

Nice bait.

There are better weapons, but it's pretty good.
Every gun in the game gets an exclusive upgrade when you fully upgrade it. The hunting rifle's exclusive is a massive bonus to damage and it becomes pure murder.

Well there's the extra mode in re2make that's a bit like mercenaries, in the gas station.

>Red9 with 5.2 damage

RE4 was the last Resident game I played up until last week. I finally picked up RE5. That game is so fucking shitty I cant believe it. Complete and utter garbage. What were they thinking? I played for an hour before saying fuck this.

>You could never have a true Mercenaries minigame in Remake 2
Yes you can. What's dumb thing to say

Attached: claire_cheeks4.jpg (898x900, 138K)

I thought it was 6?
But yeah, it's like a shotgun blast concentrated into one bullet.

Yeah, after you max out the Red9 the game basically plays itself

lmao

Like RE0 before it, they took an established blueprint made by a good team and handed it on a platter to a less talented team. RE5 was designed to be as safe as possible. I rememeber when RE5 came out it had THE most generic promo posters and art of all time. They literally went full COD Marketer tier with it all. And their audience is exactly who it sold to.

Attached: 32249AE5-F593-4614-8E05-D2367B682931.jpg (4000x4000, 1.79M)

Imagine being this much of an EA drone westcuck. I got it for £3 the other month and i was fucking mad i wasted my money.

Absolutely shit taste.

Actually that'd be Dead Space 1&2 but they definitely took notes from RE4

ashley in that alt costume....

Yeah, that armor really help make Professional manageable.

Not at all. its generic fucking piss filter trash in space. The whole thing looks awful. The MC wasn't bland enough they had to put a bizzare textureless glowing helmet on him too. Its fucking bland.

>notes

They literally admit to making it directly from RE4

I didn't play RE6 for more than like an hour but the fact that I found it immediately off-putting is bad enough I guess.

Attached: 1525943882167.png (1020x432, 244K)

>RE1 in S
>RE0 not dead last

Attached: 1556166901844.png (682x824, 938K)

>killzone
Killzone isn't a TPS though. It's a FPS.

...yeah
That's literally what they said
Shinji Mikami AND peak Capcom

>I could care less for that
*couldn't

There's a clear winner of best 3rd person RE, and it's not 4

Attached: claire_phone.jpg (1077x1080, 145K)

RE4 fucking sucks what are you guys talking about. First off it is not even a RE game, except for the fact that it has potted plants scattered throughout the game. It's also super fucking repetitive. Walk in a straight line and shoot. No exploration, no puzzles.
An embarrassment.

REmake2 Claire is fucking garbage. Getting rid of Court was a huge disservice to the character. Not to mention she doesnt act or even sound like Claire.

And A typewriter after every linear hallway and set peice

Attached: jill_face_unimpressed.jpg (482x501, 38K)

reminder that re6 has some of the best tps gameplay ever made held hostage in a boring cinematic qtefest campaign

Complaint about typewriters locations is retarded seeing that there one every few rooms in ever RE game.

You people act like only the main series exists and that there were no shitty RE games before 4/5/6. Almost all of the spinoffs are complete garbage and worse than any of the modern games in every way.

What are you talking about? Nu-Claire is the most "Claire" that Claire has been since CV. She was great. Easily the best thing in REmake 2

>this game came out when I was in 8th grade

>beccaposter complains about linear hallway resident evil
wew

There is a fucking diffenrence though, those aren't mainline games. At peast RE1 made some good sequels. All the sequels to RE4 were fucking garbage. When people were discussing how they wanted REmake 2 to go only two answers were submitted: Like REmake or RE4. Fucking nobody mentioned 5,6 or the revelations games.

Thats Jill you fucking ass.

Killswitch had re4 dead on arrival.

>the most claire since CV
My nigga, are you retarded? Rev2 Claire was more Claire than REmake2 Claire.

>zombie outside
>get out!
que?

>Rev2 Claire was more Claire
The one who doesn't know how to interact or protect girls? I don't think so

Attached: clairexsherry6.jpg (614x584, 44K)

If you said 2 or 3 I'd agree, but 4? The mechanics were better than the first game I guess, but as a whole the game was the most lackluster in the series. And what good does having better mechanics than an 07 game but worse than the previous sequels if the game is a chore to play?

The only difference is whether or not they have a number in the title, not like RE ever had a coherent continuity. The point is that RE4 didn't ruin anything, the franchise was already filled with shit up to that point.

I disagree. You know what Remake 2 made me realise about the series? The same thing Yakuza 0 made me realise after nearly dropping Y5 out of boredom: IT NEEDS TO BE ABOUT YOUNG PEOPLE WITH FIRE AND INEXPERINCE. THATS EXCITING. NOT A BUNCH OF OLD FUCKS WHO SIGH THEIR WAY INTO THE NEXT BATTLE. MAKE RE ABOUT COPS, TEENAGERS AND TEENAGE COPS AGAIN.

Attached: 106250CE-5E9C-421F-940A-A2DBC6C96426.jpg (640x433, 167K)

i can tell it's you because you always use the same filenames and make the same posts.

Im not him

No, this is the best TPS, every RE game is hopelessly outclassed by DS2 in every facet.

Attached: 1488236962960.png (323x433, 247K)

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Attached: ashleyheight.png (799x137, 6K)

Attached: becca_face_annoyed11.jpg (400x400, 34K)

>Claire
>Ever knowing how to protect kids
She has always been really bad at it.

Just go back look through the cutscene for RE2, Claire has always been direct and to the point. She rarely ever bantered, just like Chris

That's actually wrong.

Attached: 20190509_100150.jpg (4032x1960, 2.66M)

>it's still the best third-person shooter game ever made.
Resident evil 2 remake is the best now.

RE4 is overrated. RE5 one-upped the game so well, but everyone harbors back to RE4 because muh nostalgia

>fucking sweet ass engineering hard suit
>bland
You are definitely baiting. Well enjoy this last (You)

Seems like a good thread to ask this: Is Dead Space 3 worth playing solo? I loved 1 and 2 and have beaten them each a few times and thought the demo for 3 was... decent

youtube.com/watch?v=Uj2Q3L134mY
Hmmm maybe. New Ada is cool and have a better backstory instead of finding her boyfriend John.

RE6 isn't THAT bad, it's just generic and has an awful camera that can be modded to more closely resemble 4's. 5 is pretty fun with a friend

Dead Space 2 is better

Attached: Screenshot_20190509-091359_Chrome.jpg (1080x2280, 540K)

>sweet ass engineering
>engeineering
>sweet

Yeah nah, you and i aren't going to be agreeing in this incel. Holy fucking shit.

Say what you want but it's not the worst one ( that title goes to "gun survivor 1" or "umbrella corp.") Zero is just frustrating either during the first run where you will get fucked in the ass if you use the wrong character at the wrong time or save yourself into a softlock.
The worst offending parts are in the original on the GC and even in the remastered version where some of the puzzle introduction texts always need to play out when you want to interact with a puzzle and the enemys are kinda lame ( fuck the eliminators just fuck 'em even the lech zombies are not that bad) and of course the missing item box which makes backtracking even more tedious ( especially with the hookshot which is even worse than the valve handle in 2).
Also the Voicework and the story are rather bad ( but that is nothing new for an RE game) but the rest of the game is rather well designed especially the ideas for the two man puzzles and somehow making it work to play with two characters at once with one controller and the training facility is a neat location and fleshes the lore a bit more out and the remade re2 section was also nice ( allthough I still don't get how the hell they got there when it's near the RPD I don't know and I bet the devs and writers don't know either).
So yeah not the worst it's just very unfriendly to newcomers or people who are just one and done kind of players.

Attached: my-image.png (1020x432, 250K)

how does it have worse combat mechanics than 2 and 3? Almost everything is expanded upon or improved, and a big emphasis is put on forcing the player to always move around and avoid being pinned down with whack-a-mole combat moments like in the first 3 games. And the added aspect of regaining stealth adds a whole new dimension to the combat that makes the gameplay feel like 1v16 sandboxy guerrilla warfare, instead of just setpieces and long linear levels where you repeatedly encounter small groups of enemies (though it has both of those things as well)

Is it fair to say that Resident Evil is the most consistently good video game series? If you look at all the mainline games the vast majority are good.

RE6 is the only black sheep. People shit on 5 now but everyone liked it when it came out. RE6 was a disappointment from day 1

So is it fair to call it the most consistently good game series?

1 - Great
2 - Great
3 - Great
4 - Great
5 - Great
6 - Bad
7 - Good
0 - Good
REmake - Great
REmake 2 - Great
Revelations - Good
Revelations 2 - Good

Is it weird that I got over 1 million views on a resident evil video I just randomly uploaded when remake2 came out?

1 - Good
2 - Great
3 - Great
CV - Meh
0 - BAD
REmake - Great
4 - Great
5 - Pretty good
6 - Pretty good I loved it
Rev1 - Bad
Rev 2 - Great
7 - Meh
REmake - Great

And don't get me started on the spin off games. Those games range from Meh to Kill it with fire

>it's still the best third-person shooter game

Er...

Patrician and almost correct

Attached: max payne phone.png (334x424, 238K)

I have a question. Why are re1-3 so comfy despite being survival horror games? I find them relaxing to play

Ambient solitude. Also Capcom did their best to make sure those pre rendered backrounds told the story of the people who lived in Raccoon. Every detail is carefulyl chosen.

youtu.be/q_yrh6SkyKQ

Attached: 9F12FB5C-2DC5-4231-93E6-397196756D7A.gif (540x393, 1.31M)