"Dragon Quest II is bad" is such an NPC opinion

"Dragon Quest II is bad" is such an NPC opinion

Attached: dq2-9.png (247x224, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2pfOL-fQz5k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I remember liking it but I played it only once in the late 80s.

t. hasn't reached Rhone

Oh that tower is easy. Get the boat and you will understand why people say it's a bad game.

Yeah well guess what? I got Dragon Warrior FOR FREE when I ordered a year of Nintendo Power. Jealous?

Attached: 1512962361562s.jpg (250x250, 8K)

youtube.com/watch?v=2pfOL-fQz5k

Attached: 1556343972831.jpg (894x1024, 62K)

Final Fantasy 2 is ok

its better to view dragon quest I+II more like puzzle adventure games then jrpgs, they become a lot more fun just exploring and figuring stuff out on your own. that being said NES DWII is borderline unplayable with the amount of grinding they expect you to do, the snes remake is a lot more reasonable, although it does become a numbers game by the end.

Dragon Quest 2 is awful, you spend 90% of the game in a boat and Rhone is one of the most grind heavy things I've ever encountered in a video game. It does have an amazing OST at least.

Even Horii says it wasn't designed well because of how rushed it was. Reason why lots of people say 3 is the best is because it takes the few good things 2 gives and strip out the bad and even adds a few extra bits to make it feel great. DQ2 isn't horrible but it's badly balanced and there's a lot of dumb ideas like having to go into the cave to get the crest exit the cave than later reenter it.

It's not bad, just extremely obtuse. Sections like looking for the crests are near impossible without a guide. The difficulty, espsecially the famicom/nes version's, makes it feel even more brutal.

It doesn't have the title of being the first game like DQI nor is it as good as later games like III, IV, and V. It's additions are nice but beyond a playthrough to experience it it is hard to go back to when much better DQ games exist.

Attached: 47953347_p0.jpg (1200x809, 837K)

DQII isn't bad but it is the worst in the series. The soundtrack is 10/10 though.

dragon quest is shit. all battles are just attack until low on health, heal and repeat

>tfw you get to the end and it's a pure grind because the levels get huge and actually even end game tier armor still gets hit hard
Lets not even go into how I beat the boss through healing RNG.
>tfw beat him
>wew that was diff-
>second form
>tfw went all out already
>lose for the next hundred loops until healing RNG made it so I max-healed with one usage.

Fuck I completely forgot he has the ability to just fully heal himself with infinite MP. Think they changed that in the SNES and GBC version which are the ones you should play if you ever want to try them out.

I recently played it, finding the invisible mcguffins isnt fun and the grind is excessive compared to 1, also the equipment shit is al kinds of retarded, with the other 2 partners getting almost nothing useful. Its not completely awful but its a step down from the simple fun that DQ1 was, going to play 3 now and see what they do with the formula forward

3 is better right from the get go because you get an entire whole new move set that's really powerful and one shots everything at a cost. Although, this might change later as I'm still in early game.

DQ2 is not bad, just frustratingly hard.

Free is still too much to pay for DW1

FF2 has problems, but anyone that falls for the "wtf i have to beat myself up for more HP" meme is a retard.

It's unpolished. Even the series core team admits it. But even in its unpolished state, it's better than almost every other RPG on the NES.It's only lackluster when compared to the other DQ games, which shows the level of polish the series has.

>you spend 90% of the game in a boat
Not even. You don't even get the boat until halfway through the game. And then you only need to use the boat a couple times. You can even skip the whole central continent if you want. The only real issue with the boat is you need a map, otherwise you sail around aimlessly. That is a genuine design problem. But nowhere near as bad as you're describing.

>and Rhone is one of the most grind heavy things I've ever encountered in a video game.
Did you play the FF games on NES? What you have to do at Rhone is what you do the entire game in FF. And is nothing compared to the Temple of the Ancients in FF3.

Attached: 1534977176207.png (1748x1181, 458K)

The move from single person to a whole party fucked up everything and since they made it in such a short amount of time the whole balance system got thrown out of wack. 3 pretty much was built with that in mind so nearly everything frustrating about 2 was either changed to make it much more enjoyable (having a full party at the start so no need to grind a new party member) or just thrown out completely. If you are going to play the NES just have a map ready since the game doesn't have one while SNES I believe does.
If you are going to do it blind I can see the whole 90% on a boat since you are just going to jump from island to island talking to NPC that just say things like "say something west of here" which is pretty vague. Half way is true but only if you know what you are doing. As for grinding FF games are grindy but mostly because you are given more choices on how to do things which can easily make the game more annoying picking the "wrong" way to play.

EVERY DRAGON QUEST HAS THE EXACT SAME STORY

"lets rip off ultima and wizardry"
"ok and let's do it for 1000 games in a row, they won't even notice"
there you have dorakue

dragon quest was never that good

Why do people love to point out how they know nothing of this series?

Attached: 1522679528988.jpg (900x1050, 159K)

Dragon Knight is better than any of the Dragon Quest games.

Western release never ever

Attached: 29e.jpg (600x885, 36K)

>expecting originality from bugman japs
They wouldn't have a single game if westerners didn't provide them stuff to rip off

Only 3 people here (including me) have played DQ 2

Kind of like Disney wouldn't have a single movie after Aladdin if they didn't have anime to rip off.

Why cant modern RPG maker games have this much soul, bros?

What about the first one?

My problem with FF2 wasn't the system. It was the horrible enemy placement and pacing.

>go into dungeon
>gigas everywhere
>rush through and barely survive
>leave the dungeon
>start walking back to toen
>fucking HIll Gigas spawn OUTSIDE the dungeon on the overworld
>die in one hit

Fucking hell, who designed this shit?

Nobody cared to make private servers?

You need to have the server data. No one cared enough to hack the servers and steal it, while games like WoW, PSO and RO, they did.

What's more annoying is there's an English translation in the official Chinese release of the game. Yes, they released it in China, but not America, Europe or even South Korea. That's how much Squenix wants to mock us.

Dragon quest 1 and 2
Snes NES or gb?

>not raising your evasion to become invincible
there's your problem

I think they are too scared for wow
And DQ is a pretty niche game
I hope this smash meme is true so people will look into the series

Even worse are the trap rooms that have nothing in them but have crazy high encounters.

Once you gain enough Agility/evasion and has different type of "death" (death, mini, frog, ect) the game becomes just a rush to the end. Since if you attack with anyone but your "fighter" and not just have your mages cast spells you are playing it actually wrong.

>the fucking Cave to Rhone
This game was pretty impressive for its time and the fact it was developed in such a short time is amazing, but I don't think I'll be playing it ever again. I'm good.

Attached: 1550570764419.gif (255x192, 1.07M)

NoA has always tried to do right by Dragon Quest DS onward. It's just that SE either fucked it up by giving a poor localization (DQ4 DS) or spend 5 years just never even considering localizing any of the games until fans pushed them into doing it and only if Nintendo published them (DQ7 and 8 3DS).

Super Famicom remake. You really do not want to play this on Game Boy. The other two are fine on Game Boy, but DQ2, you really need as wide of a field of view as possible.

Attached: 1438647595945.png (1031x902, 111K)

certain enemies like Atlas and the pink sabertooth tigers are programmed to gang up on a single character until he dies
pretty sneaky

No, it’s just that you disagree with it which is fine. Try having some empathy with the people that actually had to cope with this level of shitty games back then.

>DQ4
>poor localization
The Dragon guy speaking like fucking Flanders still haunts my dreams.

And I was playing it in English to escape the also horrible Spanish localization full of out of place haha funny accents. Why all this.

Because Richard Honeywood has a hard on for dialects in games. He's the guy who decided to give everyone dialects in Chrono Cross and Dragon Quest VIII as well. And under his watch, the dialects continued, until he finally left after Dragon Quest IX. Sadly, now the head of localization in Japan mandates all new games must have this shit too.

Attached: 1468444268334.jpg (1242x2208, 323K)

Isn't there a restoration hack? If not best version for dq4?

For some reason I think this shit really works in 8, but is a horrible trainwreck in the rest.

>Isn't there a restoration hack?
Not that I know of. I really hope someone has made one though.

>If not best version for dq4?
Sadly, every western release of DQIV is screwed somehow. The NES one lacks the extra content and improved combat. The PS1 version never came here. The DS one is fucked in translation and missing party chat. So you're fucked on all avenues. Thanks Squenix.

Attached: 1439274378397.jpg (700x673, 332K)

While I hate it even in VIII, VII has two things that make it work better. One, almost all the characters, minus some monsters and Morrie, use British dialects. So it's more uniform, not random French, Russian and Spanish junk mixed together with English. And two, it's voiced so you don't have to strain yourself to read the dialects in text form.

Attached: 1438317309759.gif (350x300, 26K)

I enjoyed it in 8 because
1. Lots of voice acting so you get a better feel for how to lines are meant to be said
2. It wasn't nearly as fucked up as DQ4 DS (post that they toned it down to more DQ8 level so typically don't have to worry about having to reread a line just because of how mangled it was written) so you would easily just read it maybe not understand a line completely but those were far and few between unlike DQ4 DS which made it so you just never wanted to walk to NPC because how the dialect.
Personally NES is still the best version to play (in English) by that point lots of QoL happened lot showing stat difference when buying items. There's sadly grinding when starting each chapter but it's not nearly as bad as most NES RPG and by the time you get the Hero/Heroine you are good to go.

I really fucking wish PS1 was fan translated for us since fuck SE for their treatment of DQ4.

The only dragon quest games I have beaten were 3 5 and 9 and their plots didnt feel the same at all.

He's a troll who throws out the same bait every thread.

Why is Alena so cute
The hair, the outfit
I just love her

The look of Ayla, but being a genki hairhead which makes her seem softer and cuter.

Attached: 1431847429518.png (450x450, 294K)

If language or poor translations aren't an issue, is the psx or DS?

Psx

The Famicom version really isn't all that great specifically because you can't revive your party members at that shrine in Rhone. So you have to go through the cave all over again just to get to Rhone and grind. Doesn't ruin the experience especially since you can just put in a password to skip the grinding but it sure is annoying.

>90%
That's way too hyperbolic, it's more like 50%. Also, Rhone is pretty grindy, but I've played through much grindier sections of games before. I'll give you that the difficulty spike is absurd compared to the rest of the game.

You don't HAVE to, but when it's the most effective way of raising your stats, that's when you know the system's busted.

As someone who's played through both, PSX version is definitely harder and with less QoL than the DS version, but there's not too much of a difference besides that.

Attached: 1554888263726.png (1200x900, 854K)

PSX heard is the best version. DS if you are playing physical and like carrying around your DS/3DS.

Monster Girl Quest Paradox is better

I liked it better than 6 and 7, those games were linear and predictable slogs

My Alena figure just shipped bros

Attached: alena figure.jpg (600x350, 28K)

It was bad because of the bugs. The story/gameply itself is standard DQ.