Do you like turn-based combat, Yea Forums?

Do you like turn-based combat, Yea Forums?

Attached: ykBbMoO.jpg (1604x902, 390K)

used to not, now i appriciate it for the math puzzle it is

Man, Persona 4 aged like milk.

No, if I wanted strategy I would play an actual strategy game. Most of the time it's either braindead easy or just mindlessly stacking buffs or punishing elemental weaknesses.

Yeah, I like it.
I only hate it when it tries to be more "real time" and you end up with flaming garbage like ATB.

used to love it, but now i don't know anymore
every turn based game feels the same now while the older ones always had some mechanics or tried to be creative to make them different from the others, like it was a competition who could make the most out of it
now it's just copy paste
the last turn based game i enjoyed that tried to be creative with it's mechanics was the last remnant and i had a fucking blast playing it

NOW I FACE OUT

>No, if I wanted strategy I would play an actual strategy game.
A turn based strategy game? Sounds like you do like turn based combat.

used to, now i don't appreciate it for the garbage it is

Attached: 1555761202455.jpg (189x185, 12K)

Explain what you mean by math puzzle;
I'm playing P4 right now, and I don't really see any puzzles, and it looks like the game's difficulty is all about lvl and equipment (=grinding).
I'm not saying I don't like the game though.

The game looks okay, but the characters do look funny.

cope

BASED

looks fine to me

cringe

I swear you graphicsniggers are the worst.

based

Persona 4 is literally designed to be baby's first JRPG, using an ultra streamlined and casualized version of SMT's press turn system.

no i like games where i have all or most of my moveset available and usable from the outset, like character action and super metroid and shit like that. fighting games too, i like having the gameplay loop based around becoming better at the game instead of feeding numbers to make number go up

thought this was the spurdo bear in the thumbnail

If it's done well.

I don’t get the hate boner for it

>and it looks like the game's difficulty is all about lvl and equipment (=grinding).
Not sure what you mean. In P4 grinding isn't really effective; your main way of getting stronger should be keeping your main personas at max level, and you don't even unlock new equipment to spend your money on unless you push forward and fight new enemies for their material drops.

Not to mention, battles in P4 are 90% about finding out what the enemies are weak to and abusing that for extra turns, not just grinding til you are strong enough to turn on auto-attack. I think this is what that other dude means by calling them puzzles, every encounter setup with a mix of enemies having different weaknesses needs to be tested and "solved," but once you "solve" it you can clear it really quickly.

>your main way of getting stronger should be keeping your main personas at max level
By this I mean gathering new personas and combining them to keep them close to your character's level

I like the tv screen filter the battles in 4, but I wonder what it looks like on CRTs

does personas' level matter that much?
also, I really miss persona 5's fusion result feature

sure it is fun
real time combat can be fun as well
currently playing radiant historia

I like turn-based combat, GOOD turn-based combat.

goteem

>does personas' level matter that much?

Attached: 1543151420913.gif (350x434, 396K)

it's insufferable for me.
I love JRPGs for their settings but can't stand all the fucking grind and filler time wasted on turn-based shit.
half of the time you spend on these games is basically throwing your life away.

matters not, the game is still one of the best of the decade

>I love JRPGs for their settings but can't stand all the fucking grind and filler time wasted on turn-based shit
same here, I really dislike all those animations you have to watch before and after every single fight.

I like good games and games you can describe as diamonds in the rough, whether they're turn-based or real-time doesn't matter.

It was a budget game made to make more money off of reused assets.

some games let you disable animations iirc

Stopped playing Persona 5 after Shido's palace because of this, felt the game was just deliberately wasting my time with pointlessly tanky enemies

you what? it's pretty great for a ps2 game

Only if you have a possibility to move your units over the battlefield. JRPG/Disciples combat is retarded shit.

I always find that by the end of every Persona game it's easier to just run solo with Thanatos or Siegfried or whoever because all of the party members are just dead weight by that point

its pretty good looking still, the dungeons definitly aged tho

It never looked good.

Attached: 8876.png (750x650, 260K)

Attached: 1527542704710.png (724x733, 680K)

who said it was about graphics?

The aesthetic saves it for sure, but the stuff like the character models are hideous. And playing recently I forgot the anime segments are actually ugly as well.
This one is actually not bad. When you accidentally get a close up of one of the students in the corridor at school, shit looks awful

play on easy

Best way for RPG battles

I still play turned-based RPGs but I don't enjoy them as much anymore.

Pokemon single player is a joke. SMT is basically "solved" for me. Use the AoE buffs and Debilitate and voila you've beat literally everything.

Other turn-based RPGs generally aren't too different. Sometimes bosses are immune or resistant to stat debuffs, but in those cases all you need to do is focus on buffs instead. It's just a numbers game with 2 goals.
1.Get your numbers high enough in the most turn efficient way possible.
2. Reverse whatever the boss just did in the most efficient way possible.
Once you realize that, you've basically beaten every RPG before you've even started.

Attached: D2WtSqZU8AML_Uc.jpg (1100x1110, 73K)

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY SWITCH PORT ATLUS WHY IS P4G STUCK ON THE NO GAMES PORTABLE WHEN ITS LITERALLY PERFECT FOR SWITCH BECAUSE YOU CAN DOCK IT TOO.

Attached: p4g.jpg (1163x1476, 305K)

Debilitate was a mistake.

Jap style turn based, nah. But I like xcom and homm. Divinity was nice too. But they’re completely different from the Japanese approach which feels like lazy design to me

>Do you like turn-based combat, Yea Forums?

Turn-baseed combat is fun when it takes advantage of the granular nature of turn-based combat to allow for more tactical options than real-time games. For some reason though, a lot of developers still mindlessly imitate menu-based systems from the 80's devoid of any real tactical depth.

Attached: 12344889445.jpg (2000x1797, 853K)

yes

Attached: 29658-ingame-Baten-Kaitos-Origins[1].jpg (640x480, 83K)

>the last turn based game i enjoyed that tried to be creative with it's mechanics was the last remnant and i had a fucking blast playing it
Then why aren't you playing the rest of the SaGa games you fucking nigger?

Attached: ( ⁰д⁰).webm (680x374, 2.81M)

same with Mediarahan/Salvation

How are stuff like Saga and the last remnant 'creative with turn-based mechanics'? They're just menu-based systems with gimmicks.

An actual creative take on turn-based systems would be something like Invisible Inc, which creates an entire new genre of turn-based stealth game. Or the way Slay the Spire translates RPG archetypes to a card game, Or into the breach with its emphasis on manipulating the environment and enemies. These games completely change the rules of engagement of normal turn-based combat.

Attached: 1549152541649.jpg (1200x1386, 118K)

I like SMT a lot for the story (Chaos v Neutral v Law storylines fucking rock) and the progression to be honest, but I do still enjoy the gameplay a lot. Random battles are actually tense, as if you're not careful you can easily get wiped by some random mobs, especially when your first starting a dungeon. Bosses early on are also a lot harder, because you don't have access to debilitate or luster candy. It's true that you can basically "solve" fights using almighty and buffs/debuffs later on, but I don't mind because I used the fusion system purposefully and carefully to grind these optimal demons; I see these as the fruits of my labor. And it's all worth it when you get to the point where you can fill your team with cool ass demons like Metatron, Yoshitsune, Shiva, Vishnu, etc. And then there are the superbosses, which will kick your ass regardless of buffs if your setup aint pristine.

Attached: kingofbel.jpg (500x299, 66K)

A better question is why haven't you killed yourself yet, WRPG-Kun.

>can go at my own pace, have time to think about what strategies to use, dont have to worry about fumbling the controls in a high pressure situation

yes.

Isn't devil survivor supposed to be the least strategic smt game despite being on a grid?

I'd say it's probably one of the most strategic games in the series, or at least out of the ones I've played. There's a lot more emphasis on competent demon building, and it's no easy walk in the park at all, especially with boss stages.

>no actual argument
You're retarded. The scope of menu-based systems is inherently limited, unless you do something like Wizardry 8, which incorporates the environment and movement into combat, as well as have more strategic systems like spells being able to fizzle or even backfire on the party.

Turn-based games like Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm that incorporate things like line of sight, sound propagation, physics, etc. are much more sophisticated and innovative than generic menu-based jrpg with a twist #612612612.

Attached: 1554281365522.jpg (782x520, 130K)

Shit bait

If it's strategic with a lot of importance in positioning ( FF:Tactics, Fallout, Underrail.. ) then I fucking love it.
If it's JRPG party trash then fuck no, most boring shit ever.

t. Chad. Don't reply to me.

I can really only play turn-based stuff do to me only having one arm.

Most turn based garbage sucks if it isn't as hard as SMT.
Literal movie games.

their level doesn't matter that much, it's down to bringing the right one to the fight

if you're grinding levels in persona and most SMT games you're playing them wrong

I need no argument for somebody who has none and talks about games he never played while pretending some shitty plagiarist indie game with mechanics done to death since decades is in any way relevant to anything.
Again, kill yourself you psychopatic waste of oxygen.

Attached: The absolute state of Western RPGs.jpg (1920x1080, 1.02M)

I personally think WRPGs look really, unappealing. If the elder scrolls games are anything to go by, they all look like generic fantasy boring open world games lacking in a sense of progression and no noteworthy story to speak of, instead relying on lore alone to carry the game's narrative focus. Not to mention I think the bland and dull artstyle of WRPGs in general pales in comparison to the vibrant artstyle of most JRPGs (provided they dont also look like moeblobs).

I only ever needed to grind once in persona which was 3's The Answer cause I never used Metis. Fuck that part.
but of course everyone else that I didn't use in my party got a free fuck you ride to level 78

Attached: 1539486163880.webm (1280x720, 2.93M)

>t. buttblasted weeb

You do realize the creators of Slay the Spire, one of which is Asian, talked about anime as being a source of inspiration for some of the art style?

Nothing about that changes the fact that in terms of GAMEPLAY, which is what I was talking about, it's a billion times more compelling than any menu-basd jrpg I can think of.

Attached: 18281214712.gif (425x425, 3.94M)

I only like it in Fallout because it's usually over quickly.
Besides that it sucks.

>I personally think WRPGs look really, unappealing. If the elder scrolls games are anything to go by, they all look like generic fantasy boring
Jrpg fans lecturing others on uninspired settings is pretty hilarious.

Attached: 122034043043.jpg (2000x3000, 1.03M)

not that guy but why do menus trigger you so hard?

Attached: 28-PWUMozu[1].gif (512x358, 1.69M)

First of all, never use the R slur. It is incredibly offensive to intellectually disabled people. Do you know that their lifespans are shorter than the average human? Do you have any idea how much parents of the intellectually disabled struggle? There are better, more tolerant words that you could use, such as: dumb, idiotic, moronic, etc.
But ultimately name-calling is immature. If an argument is too much for you to handle than there's no shame in walking away.

I would also like to address how awful it is to tell someone to "kill themselves". Suicide is no joking matter. It is cruel to wish this against someone in any shape. I don't know what drove you to be such a hateful person but I hope that one day you learn compassion.

Yes, but the example you posted is generally too simplistic to really be satisfying, it's just too basic and there isn't enough complexity to play around with and experiment. I like turn-based combat in CRPGs more, at the very least having positioning, movement and terrain in the mix makes it much more interesting and encounters aren't all the absolute same shit, plus the spells and abilities available are generally more varied.

>You do realize the creators of Slay the Spire, one of which is Asian, talked about anime as being a source of inspiration for some of the art style?
Good to know he admits he's a filthy plagiarist.
>in terms of GAMEPLAY,
It's mediocre trash, a bad ripoff of decades old card based JRPGs like Baten Kaitos, Wild Card, or even Culdcept and somehow is even less compelling than two decades old handheld games.
Again, kill yourself sociopath, you talk about nothing pretending to have any sort of argument because the only people who bother listening to you are retards who've never had any real human interaction with anyone.

The fact that not only you deliberatly lie to yourself with such conviction, but do it literally 24/7, on multiple threads is beyond appalling, you're the epithome of human garbage and everything that's wrong with this place, a man who builds his existence on lies and fanatism, and anonymity to keep his deranged addiction going.

>Baten Kaitos, Wild Card and Culdcept invented card games

Attached: 2bg8a5.jpg (1024x576, 121K)

just stop replying

Not in jrpgs. I do like the combat in games like divinity os and parasite eve (if you can call that turn based) though.

>Devil survivor (post-apocalyptic)
>Valkyrie Profile (Norse mythology)
>Vagrant story (medieval, kinda)
>Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (science fantasy?)
>Shin Megami Tensei IV (cross of medieval and urban)
>Soul Hackers/Digital Devil Saga (cyberpunk)
Not to mention that all the games you posted have differing art styles, and utilize the genre their in in different ways. Nice cherrypicking though.

And fictional real-world isn't a real genre.

Also the usage of the N slur here was completely inappropriate. It's extremely insulting towards black people or African people of color. I hope one day you grow past your microaggressions and hating anyone different than you.

BTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now you resort to moving the goalposts by putting words I've never said in my mouth?
How about you address the original point of your supposed indietrash being somehow original?
Maybe because you have no arguments as usual.

Again, you're completely deranged, I don't even know how you have the courage to look at a mirror when your entire existence revolves around compulsively lying on the internet to get a rise out of strangers and ruin perfectly good discussions.

I've been in this place for 14 years and I've yet to see someone so revolting as you, your entire existence is devoted to a lie, a lie to sustain yourself out of the energy of other people, and a lie to remind you you'll never have any sort of meaningful interaction with anyone, because you're just useless, malicious, egomaniac scum and proud to be so.

>PS2 game looks like a PS2 game
Wooooooow

dude, I think it's just one guy having an argument with himself

nigger stop replying

Please don't use the N slur. It is extremely offensive to black people or African people of color.

>Devil survivor (post-apocalyptic)
Takes place DURING the apocalypse, not after it, and doesn't explore the ethics of a post-apocalyptic civilization in any way.

>Soul Hackers/Digital Devil Saga (cyberpunk)
It has cyberpunk elements, sure, but it's predominantly a fantasy game and doesn't explore cyberpunk themes in any meaningful way.

>And fictional real-world isn't a real genre.
You don't think games that take place in a fictional version of the real world without any fantasy or sci-fi elements are different from clearly fantastical or far-future settings?

I really like Persona 4, but come on. If he's right, it was probably one of the worst decades in history of mankind, not only regarding vidya.

yeh

Where has all the shitting on turn based combat come from? I don’t get it, it’s just another style of vidya

Yes. Persona is kinda shitty though.

Kanji just looks that way, be nice.

WRPG shitters with a hateboner for JRPGS

I'd say rampant ADHD in anyone below 22. I like turn based combat just because I can play in bed and fall asleep inbetween turns.

Have sex.

undertale is the only good one

>He expects civil discussion on Yea Forums and not just shit-flinging

Attached: 6bf.jpg (336x213, 16K)

No, but I don't have anything against it. I wish I enjoyed it in fact, but I just don't find it fun compared to real time combat where you control your character directly. Even stuff that's real time but you don't directly control your dude (stuff like Xenoblade Chronicles) doesn't do anything for me.

I’m asking because this isn’t just Yea Forums, plenty of e-celebs and others I’ve talked to elsewhere have shat on turn based combat for being turn based combat. I don’t get it

I like how roguelikes make use of turn based combat. Valkyrie Profile 2 also had a pretty neat spin on turn based combat, mixing it with roguelike combat and fighting game spacing/positioning.

Attached: ELONA.gif (80x80, 49K)

nah is good

Looks good for a ps2 game, the problem is that menu, it's horrible.

>Post Apocalyptic
SMT 2
>Fictional Real-World
Got me there
>Steampunk
Resonance of Fate
>Cyberpunk
SMT Soul Hackers
>Superhero Fiction
Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans
>Science Fiction
Infinite Space
>Alternate History
Got me there
>Urban Fantasy
The World Ends With You
>High Fantasy
Dragon’s Dogma
>Science Fantasy
Xenogears

Every game is turn based when you really think about it.

Attached: 1343521324968.png (771x687, 22K)

those dont count

Keks

>no argument

Attached: B0288F07-4B12-4B57-BD22-1E2AA04EDDA5.jpg (1080x607, 66K)

>None of these games look exactly the same either
WRPG chads????? Where'd you all go???

Attached: axlthehedgehog.png (929x507, 729K)

not after taking the action RPG pill. Ys, nier automata, xenoblade, etc. are way more fun to play, mashing is still more interesting than finding the right attacks and just using them on the right enemies with a few button presses.

honestly based
I've always preferred action RPGs to turn-based ones, but then decided to try persona games, they are good, but definitely not my "cup of tea"

>Nier Automata
Kek

>Ys
is it good?

playing origins right now, it's good if you like games like dungeon fighter online, just kinda spammy action with a ton of numbers. also if you like action platformers and schmups it has elements of those, and the story isn't half bad

Are there any decent WRPGs? I've always played JRPGs. I play a bunch of western games but usually just like action games, shooters, fighting games, platformers, etc. Somehow Western RPGs never interest me.

Attached: 1349483481283.jpg (1920x1200, 1.1M)

>xenoblade
that shit is hardly action

Attached: 1554318059145.png (720x715, 328K)

yes, play divinity original sin 2 if you want the peak of WRPG gameplay.

Cope.

Wizardry 6 to 8.

>Nier Automata
>Xenoblade
bait

I do like those, I'll check it out thanks!
Why do I find out about this after the steam sale is over :(

>playing ARPGS when real action games exist
yikes

>implying ARPGs arent real action games

Yes.

Attached: 1551794051917.jpg (1280x905, 567K)

user, that "bump" system doesn't really seem to be very fun;
I'm thinking about starting with Oath

>implying loot grinds are real action games

>implying you grind for loot in most ARPGs
this is how i know you have never played an ARPG user

There's a few legit masterpieces like in all genres, but most of them have even worse gameplay than JRPGs on average.
Wizardry, Arcanum, Fallout 2, ToEE and Underrail are all good, though Arcanum falls a bit in the gameplay department compared to others it has superb care in the roleplaying department.

The problem with WRPGs is that since the mid 90's they took an unhealthy obsession with sim mechanics that take away the actual RPG part in order to simulate virtual worlds in minute details instead, which makes then inevitably broken, clunky and boring, that and the fact that most WRPGs can't let go of D&D adds insult to injury.
Roguelikes are arguably peak WRPG performance so look into those, avoid RTwP games and action games as they're all inevitably abysmal in terms of gameplay and the narrative isn't good either.
Most people overhype the D:OS games because they've been one of the very few turn based WRPG in the last decade, additionally they look pretty good and the gameplay isn't completely ass, but they're still so so all in all, with tons of flaws and a pretty fucking dumb battle system.

depends on the series, ive had FFX/XII and DQ5/8 on my backlog for years now and i just cant force myself to play them, on the other hand i got into SMT after p5 and ive finished nocturne/SJ/4 and apocalypse plus persona 3 and 4 back to back so im all burned out now

More importantly Why are you posting the placeholder box art instead of the official one?

im not especially knowledgeable on crpgs but fallout new vegas is a fantastic game and i would highly recommend it

Literally in most JRPGs, what you do is running around empty corridor or field before being interrupted by random encounters every few steps and the combat is just select strongest move and then watch epic battle cutscene. How the fuck is that better gameplay? Meanwhile in most WRPGs, you also need to position your units strategically on the battlefield, see JRPGs have great waifu but in terms of gameplay, you might as well as just watch anime.

Here, this is your JRPG ""'gameplay""'

Attached: 1556626202244.webm (640x360, 2.86M)

Why was based p4 so kino compared to trash persona 5?

>WRPGkun is at it again
Who does he hope to convince?

I'm playing P4 right now, and I actually liked P5 more. P4 is sure dated now in lots of ways.

>JRPGs have great waifu
Name me one jrpg with great waifu or fuck off you fucking weeaboo.

>calling a Persona game trash

Attached: 1554985047382.gif (480x368, 1.24M)

Yeah that bump system ain't for everybody. Oath is pretty fun so I hope you enjoy it.

thanks! have fun as well

Alternate History could be Raidou Kuzunoha. Maybe not but whatever

You're a retarded nigger

Character Quests in Legendia has been pretty fun. The gripe I see alot is voice acting just disappears but I'm deaf so it hasn't impacted it at all. Chloe is cute.
Gotta finish up p4g too. Got lucky and ended up getting victory cry super early as well as something called myriad arrows. Things just die super easy now.

Attached: __chloe_valens_tales_of_series_and_etc_drawn_by_stroma__145ddac798acfc5742bfbc85dd56a105.jpg (680x840, 229K)

>Meanwhile in most WRPGs, you also need to position your units strategically on the battlefield
No, in most WRPGs (Those that are actually strategical and not piss poor action games or just crappy RTS) you have to waste a turn to get close or behind something, if you even need that, positioning literally does not matter outside of some extremely rare exception to the norm.
This is without actually looking at MOST of the WRPG production, which is gutter trash with barely any semblance of gameplay to begin with.

Even your beloved D:OS2 is completely braindead, and what little positioning there is is made even more worthless by the fact that everyone and their mother can teleport behind you multiple times in a turn.
It doesn't matter how many mechanics you have if 90% are implemented poorly, or barely implemented at all.

I like action rpgs more out turn based isnt bad either

Underrail

Attached: underrail 1.webm (960x540, 2.74M)

Jesus, that's awful. What game?

Attached: worried.jpg (960x544, 91K)

>What game?
He asks as he unzips his pants, ready to masturbate to the underaged anime girls.