4 cups with 4 tracks each which could be beaten in 1 or 2 hours

>4 cups with 4 tracks each which could be beaten in 1 or 2 hours
>Only other mode is time trial where you race on same 16 tracks alone trying to set a new lap record
>8 racers who are all unlocked from the start

How could a game with such limited and lackluster single-player content and obviously no online multiplayer sell so good? 10 millions, second highest on Ninendo 64

Attached: SQ_N64_MarioKart64.jpg (1000x1000, 337K)

good game play

Believe it or not, before you were born people played multiplayer games locally.

Because they knew what they were doing and nobody yet has been able to replicate it yet, that's why Mario kart kart js a main seller of nin-san

infinite replay value

It was fun without needing payable DLC.

Wouldn't focus on local multiplayer lead to lower sales? I mean 4 friends can play it together, but only one must own the game

Diddy Kong Racing literally beat MK 64 a year later, doing the same thing better

On the other hand, trying it at your friend's house could convince you to buy it and show your other friends and on and on.

Nobody as in outside of nintendo. But yeah diddy was the shit, just now a days is mario kart.

You're supposed to have friends

It's a fun game, sure, but you'll get bored of it pretty fast playing it by yourself

We didn't have investors pushing for insane profits back in the day.
But even then Nintendo today still does a lot of split screen

Stop it, fren

Attached: 1dxl1v.jpg (700x700, 63K)

What the fuck? That's super dumb, imagine having to drive 30 minutes to your friend's house every time you wanted to play video games. You probably wouldn't even want to play any more by the time you got there.

Not if you were a kid at the time. I and my brother used to get like 3 games a year and always played them all religiously.

imagine being this much of a faggot

ITT: People born after 2004

There's battle mode too, retard

Zoom-Zoom pls

because of the lacking competition.
people also had a different standart back in the days

I played both yesterday and Mario Kart 64 is better, better tracks, items, racers. The plane was neat and controlled much better than I expected it to. Diddy Kong racing, I got stuck in the world geometry several times and had to restart the race because it and even glitched half my car under the track. Sometimes when making turns the vehicle loses all momentum like it stalled on me. Mario Kart has its glitches to but its not only more to play its a more functional game.

Nah you'd stay up all night playing together and then when everyone agrees enough is enough you watch cartoons until you fall asleep. It was absolutely based.

>came out in 96
>one of the first good 3d racing games
>best game of its kind of that gen
>still one of the most iconic games of all time
a true fucking mystery

Not available for single-player

I've always felt like people that remember Diddy Kong Racing being better mostly played single player and people that remember Mario Kart 64 being better mostly played multiplayer. As much as I enjoyed DKR when I was playing it by myself, MK64 had longer legs with the group.

I didn’t watch cartoons because I was never an immature child.

Not only is it a good racing game but its one of the few N64 games that actually still hold up today. The vast majority of the library has aged fucking horribly and yes that includes Mario 64.

its had a battle royale mode

Yeah I guess you probably watched vloggers on your mom's iPad when you were that age. My mistake.

Pretty sure you couldn't play against cpus in battle mode.

There's two types of 90's games: groundbreaking and timeless. The first has huge sales but burns out as the things that make it unique get improved upon. timeless games usually do something unique or are just solid experiences, they sell pretty eh but they never get dated.

I often download games that are meant to be played multiplayer. Boot the game up. Start a multiplayer match and then just sit there and imagine what it's like to have friends to play with.

Multiplayer games are kinda creepy if played without other players or bots

Attached: 4 (1).jpg (600x600, 41K)

Why did this and Double Dash not have single-player VS. or battle modes

You ever make a private atrition match in titanfall 2 with just yourself, surreal expirence.

imagine being this socially retarded