Jumpscares are cheap and they make your game worse

>Jumpscares are cheap and they make your game worse
How do we end this meme?

Attached: David-Lynch-By-Ada407075-640x853.jpg (640x853, 76K)

That shit bothers me so much. Some of the most memorable moments in horror vidya or movies are jump scares.

i still have nightmares

Attached: gREufGL[1].jpg (1920x1080, 262K)

Memorability isn't a measure of quality.

Attached: aXm3912xjU.jpg (650x650, 68K)

this
if you remember a game by its jumpscare it was a very shitty game from the start

What if he said they're iconic? Is that a measure of quality? Because some of the most iconic moments in horror are jump scares.

>tfw watched his best movies already and cant find anything else even close to it

Mulhohand Dr. and Lost Highway were so fucking good...

The Straight Story is criminally underrated

Yeah, this is stupid. Jump scares used to be applied way too often and they got a backlash as a result. Because of that, there's been an over-correction to completely remove them altogether, which is just as big a mistake.

God I wish he would make a game. It would be fucking fascinating.

I don't mind jump scares when they are included more like a one time gag. As long as the atmosphere is still there and it keeps you on edge for the most part.
When a horror games gets overly dependant on jump-scares it becomes obnoxious and feels like it doesn't have anything special going for it

Attached: Scary_trigger_painting_woman.JPG.jpg (1024x768, 29K)

sauce please

Alright, that is one of his few movies that I havent watched it.
The premise puts me off because it sounds like its just a story about a old man traveling, which would be more for the feels than for the subliminal plots that are the main reason I like his movies so much.
Also got left Dune and Eraser Head to watch.

There's a Twin Peaks VR game coming.

>watched his best movies already
>didn't watch Eraser Head
Pick 1 and only 1

>most iconic shot in best regarded film is a jump scare

It's slow but its not boring

It's ridiculously heartwarming or tearjerking, depending on how you look at it, and despite Lynch not writing it (his editor and her friend wrote it), it has a lot of Lynch's trademarks besides the spooky shit.

Try it out anyways.

I would bet money that nothing about Eraser Head is better than Mulholland Dr., Inland Empire, or Lost Highway.

>tfw the game always jump scares you even though that's not a mechanic
Fallout is just too spooky with enemies appearing out of nowhere and being so fucking loud.

>watched his best movies already
>hasn't seen Eraserhead
Please tell me this is bait. That's like saying "I've watched Coppola's best movies. Haven't watched Godfather pt 2 or Apocalypse Now yet, though.".

Inland Empire is trash. Three hours of Lynch dicking around with a digital camera.

and you would win that bet

you forgot blue velvet tho dummy

>Three hours of Lynch dicking around with a digital camera.

If you watched a Lynch movie and only took that from it then I have no idea why you are even talking about Lynch.

yeah but he isn't making it himself it's just some showtime jerk off

Blue Velver was alright, just terribly overrated.
The plot is too straightfoward so it lacks the "your own interpretation" element that is so good about Lynch movies.

i hate zoomer

Inland Empire is great if you look at it in the right mindset.

I see it as a series of nightmares Lynch wanted to film with his new camera

Jump scares aren't good horror. They're not scary, just unpleasantly startling.

jump scares literally make my heart want to burst it is life threatening and should be banned

Prove it.

A jumpscare is cashing in tension. The tension vanishes afterward, replaced with a fight or flight response. And it's not even scary itself, it's just startling. The only instance in which a jumpscare is both tense and scary is ironically the absence of one; when you are expecting a jumpscare to come if you keep pushing forward. They can be effective, but only in rare cases. Lynch understands this and uses them to that effect. Horror games and movies often shit them out haphazardly in the middle of scenes. Probably because the audience is too stupid to be scared on a deeper level than OOGA BOOGA. If a jump scare is necessary to horror, then how did horror thrive in novels and short stories for centuries? Yet they're almost inescapable in modern horror.

Lynch is a meme. I watched everything he did, including shorts.
INLAND EMPIRE made me realise how talentless and dependant his "art" have become.
Eraserhead was good. Elephant man was good. Blue velvet and twin peaks were alright. Everything else is pure rehashing and hackery.

Attached: 1553247766908.jpg (640x480, 34K)

It’s the only thing Lynch I don’t “get”.
Apropos of nothing, have you seen the Dumbland shorts?
I know Lynch himself thinks they’re inconsequential, but I really like them.

Attached: CD377B28-6750-4C2E-B78F-5BF36B2B28A1.jpg (850x460, 29K)

David Lynch is cult propaganda.

Do i have to smell my own farts to enjoy David Lynch?

I watched Lost Highway and I liked that Daily L.A Suburban (but not Ghetto) Thriller atmosphere. It reminded me a little of Pump Fiction.

Any more movies like it?

Attached: 62f.png (646x335, 305K)

Pulp Fiction*

I'd argue that most jump scares are trash as they're often fake outs or result in you having no control. However if you were to have a jump scare that you have to fend off or feel at least somewhat in control then it holds more weight. Like the Dogs in RE1. They're frightening but they're not random and you can murder the fuck out of them. Unlike the instances in RE7 or Dead Space 2 where someone materializes, grabs you and you're forced to QTE mash or watch a cinematic.

An occasional jumpscare is fine but like all things jumpscares started getting a bad rap when people started abusing them and not bother building proper atmosphere. Horror is much more than just fearing something will jump at you, and while that can help in giving the player something to fear, it should only be used as a tool in moderation.

SOMA

I've always thought the shit jumpscares are either
>fake outs where the action itself isn't scary at all, it's just abrupt or sudden (example: Character is walking around in the woods shouting out the name of a friend they're looking for, then suddenly from behind the friend grabs their shoulder while a really loud sound for no reason plays.)
>jumpscares where literally no effort was put in to raise any tension. (example: character just walking down a path in broad daylight, suddenly monster/murderer jumps out from literally no where while again a really loud sound plays.)
I guess an example of a "decent" jumpscare I can think of off the top of my head is from Halloween 2018 when Laurie is going room to room clearing the house. When laurie opens a closet door and finds nothing they're, they didn't throw in a HEY WOAH LOUD SOUND EFFECT, it was only after they spent some time building tension from going room to room did a jumpscare happen, and it's when Micheal actually attacks.

it's part of the curriculum

Wild at heart.

It works when it truly comes out of nowhere because the game had yet to do one to that point. Like the bathtub scare in Eternal Darkness.

Oh, ok.
I think the Bob-ball in the return represents humanity.

People only parade Lynch because they want to feel special.

Speaking of Lynch, when does Twin Peaks get good again? I'm on episode 13 of season 2 and it's pretty bad. The first season and the first 9 episodes of season 2 were amazing, then it took a massive dip

>Wild at heart.
Read the summary and seems like the perfect suggestion, thank you.

It's a fine meme that filters out shitters with no vision
Jump scares must be protected since like all horror they become less effective with overuse.

what game is this?

Attached: 1555621094213.jpg (700x700, 177K)

In like 4 episodes or so.
The ending of season 2 is alright.
Skip season 3, it's trash.

It's the best jumpscare in all film by far though. The build up is crazy and you spent the whole rest of the film dreading it coming back.

the entire premise of twin peaks is that it's intentionally bad and everyone that got tricked into watching it has to pretend it's good to trick other people into watching it
You're part of the circle now

Whats good about Inland Empire is watching the movie knowing that theres something to be understood, failing to understand it by yourself, and watching/reading an explanation online.
Maybe if you have an IQ high enough you might make sense of it all in one watch, but in my case I just enjoy getting completely lost while watching.
Mulholand Dr. and Lost Highway are pretty much the same, built to be as confusing as possible and I love it.
Needless to say that kind of movie is not for everyone and I completely understand if people dont like it, but its all done on purpose.

Jump scares are GREAT if they are done early on once or twice, because it reminds the player that no moment is safe, which heightens the tension. Any more and you get used to them, however.

This, but only applicable to season 3 and fire walk with me. First two seasons are good.

>knowing that theres something to be understood
There is nothing to be understood about that abortion.

>enjoy
doing it wrong along with all the farthuffers
Some things don't exist to be enjoyed

cringe opinion
All the best horror movies have jumpscares except for Rosemary's Baby

Sure.
Do i have to smell my own farts to appreciate Lynch?

I don't think anyone has ever died from a jump scare. If you don't have heart diseases, you should be fine, my dude.

>Season 3 is trash

Spotted the pleb.

This is a good point. Unscripted jump scares often feel natural and thus enjoyable, while scripted jump scares just feel forced and thus lame, especially when you have no control over them even if you correctly guessed it was coming.

Well not for you, low IQ user.