Create a successful formula

>create a successful formula
>throw it all away

What was Nintendo thinking?

Attached: 1489502938456.jpg (1280x720, 190K)

desu no one likes turn based rpgs, the only reason people like paper mario is the character designs

At least 'adventure game with rpg elements' works better in theory for Paper Mario even though the execution was terrible aside from a couple moments in Sticker Star (and Color Splash was already much better) than the shitty platformer/rpg hybrid Super Paper Mario tried by taking the worst of both genres.

Intelligent Systems became extremely ironic to their name starting from the 3DS.

SOULLESS

Miyamoto is a senile old fuck. He told them to stop making games that are "ports of thousand year door"

Attached: 1554812972024.webm (720x404, 2.96M)

He sure didn't tell them to make a shitty game though.

shoo shoo zoomer

I'm pretty sure he had a say on making the ART DESIGNER the overall director though. The whole thing just makes no sense. If you want a gameplay revamp you don't go with a director who never handled gameplay before.

IS wants to make more like the first two but Miyamoto won't let them.

And they got rid of most of those too

Hey, SPM had some of the best writing ever put to video games.
If you didn't cry at Luvbi's sacrifice or Timpani's reunion, then you're a heartless monster.

They had to choose between Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi for a RPG mario title

They chose the latter

>I'm pretty sure he had a say on making the ART DESIGNER the overall director though.

Attached: images (17).jpg (207x253, 7K)

Which is stupid, why can we only have one RPG spin off but dozens of sports spin offs?
Why is this "one series per genre" rule only applied to RPGs?
I will tell you why, because it's a non rule they made up on the spot so people like you would have a defense to parrot back.

I don't see we having multiple golf games, multiple kart games, or multiple tennis games at the same time, user.

Everything Miyamoto touched within the last 15 years turned to shit. He always has to have some stupid gimmick or radically different gameplay.

>create a successful formula
>throw it all away
Because they created a more successful formula.
Sticker Star sold more than PM64 or TTYD.

Target Audience. M&L are too similar with Paper Mario, and considering that back when Sticker Star and Color Splash were about there were also M&L games released close by. They'd be diluting the sales and competing with themselves.

And we actually don't have dozens of sport spin offs anymore, Mario Kart is the only racing series that hasn't had a genuine new entry since about 5 years ago. On the Switch Tennis is really the only sports game. Golf is 5 years ago, Baseball was 10 years ago, Soccer was 11 years ago. On the 3DS the last thing was the Superstar sports mix about two years ago. There's also the olympic games, which is an obligatory oddball

And color splash flopped harder than both, so it's obvious people didn't like it.

This might come as a shocker to you but golf and tennis are both sports games.
Kinda like how paper mario and M&L were both turn based RPGs

It sold entirely in knee-jerk reaction to the paper mario brand, my dude.

Would anyone buy a TTYD Remaster? Even if it was redone in the Color Splash engine and given the full paper aesthetic?

>Even if it was redone in the Color Splash engine and given the full paper aesthetic
No thanks, that whole LOL PAPER shit is the reason why I don't like Paper Mario anymore. It's gotten obnoxious to have everything be overly paper and cardboard shit.
TTYD had the perfect artstyle. Paper-like without feeling hyper gimmicky and being an eyesore.

>Wii U anything
>Selling well

Exactly, Shitter Star only sold because it was an early 3DS title back when it had fucking nothing and people didn't know better what a steaming pile of shit it was.

I remember reading somewhere that Miyomoto wanted the Mario and Luigi games to be the only story-driven Mario RPG series, so we got Sticker Star as an attempt to make a traditional Mario in terms of story, but with RPG elements.

The GameCube and N64 weren't exactly best sellers either though. Color Splash was a flop like TMS or Wonderful 101, not just half the usual sales or something.

>full paper aesthetic
God no.

Attached: papermario.png (922x394, 375K)

That would explain why M&L has been (relatively) save from extracting OCs besides Paper Jam.

Eh, I wrote that wrong. My actual point is that suggesting that they needed new gameplay when the director was an art designer guy was stupid from the start. He knew who the director was at that point and yet still made that dumb suggestion.

>what is pokemon

I see pantsu

M&L devs are creatively bankrupt right now. The last original work was Dream Team back in 2013 and it's been nothing but a shitty Paper Mario crossover and two remakes.

I'm still waiting for the proper M&L5

pokemon success is due to the anime for the most part tho

People have a very hard time understanding Nintendo for some reason. Nintendo have a lot of sub series that have the same genre, so they decided it would be better to differentiate them by making them feel different.

First look at the 2D platformers.
New Super Mario Bros is the vanilla
Donkey Kong is heavier, and the hardest
Kirby is easy, but with lots of powerups
Yoshi is relaxing and slow pace

That's what they are going for, and obviously it fucking sucks that say you are a Yoshis Island SNES fan, you would be mad that the Yoshi games have a different feel to them.

As for the RPG series.
Mario and Luigi were to be the vanilla / slight gimmick series
And Paper Mario was to try and be something different from that.
Paper Mario Wii was 2D Mario bros lite / RPG lite. And Sticker Star / Color Splash they tried to basically remove all the RPG elements.

Simply they try to make the series feel different, but it alienates fans, and generally does not work that well in my opinion. However you have to admit, fans got burnt out of the Mario and Luigi series and Partners in Time, now imagine if they had released 3 proper RPG Paper Mario titles that basically played the same, felt the same, had the same type of humor and everything. People would be calling on Nintendo for just making everything the exact same.

you know why

Attached: miyamato.png (349x327, 75K)

It ain't that simple. I think it was the marvelous world building provided by all sorts of merchandise.

Okay. This is bait

>muh miyamoto
Fuck off zoomer

Miyamoto is senile.
Everyone in charge at Nintendo nowadays is an incompetent hack, evil or hates its own fanbase.

I can understand not wanting to make another game that's just TTYD and wanting to dial back the OCs after the Wii game, but the Sticker Star and Color Splash went way too far in the opposite direction.
Assuming they haven't dropped the series thanks to Color Splash flopping, I'd like to see them try and find a sort of midway point between the style of the previous games and the newer ones.
Color Splash had some good ideas, and if the battle system wasn't such unfun garbage I'd actually be willing to play through all of it.

It's true though.
Would have been as dead as Dragon Quest states side if it wasn't for the anime.

>t. didn't see the pre-release footage
if he didn't intervene it would have been fine

They just went corporate.
How many new IPs have we gotten since the wii? Splatoon?
Compare that to shit like the n64 and gamecubes new titles.
They realized its easier and more profitable to just keep re using the same IPs for the rest of time.

Both Miyamoto and Kudo are to blame really.

Attached: 4653653735.png (793x1533, 110K)

M&L and PM had different design phylosophies though, and this is why people are upset one had to die for the other

what if even your regular attack were a consumable?

Not only that, but they have made sure that in the main IPs everything looks the same. They have "standarized" their products.
That is why the toads in the new Super Star remake all look the, despite the ones in Little Fungitown looking very different to the normal ones in the original.
Expext the same to happen to Zelda un the LA remake.

its success wasn't due to the games themselves. as said, it was the large amount of merchandise which the anime was and if I remember correctly half of the merchandise was literally Ash & Pikachu.

>story isn't important
Finally, someone who realizes what the fuck is wrong with modern games.

you are a moron

>shimapan
You made me a degenerate, Yea Forums

If they just added EXP to battles, these game would be 10 million times better.

I don't want to enter a battle because there's literally no reward, and I just waste stickers.

games should return to the realm of pure gameplay and stop pausing so much to tell a pointless story,

It's supposed to be akin to a storybook, a dream like Mario game, not taken fucking literal god fucking damn it.
>lol look I can fold myself 75 times Mario, how many times can you fild your dick?? Because we're paper lol

they already have, the peak of "story driven games" is well behind us, everything has been increasingly systems driven since far cry 3 basically.

The reason you're a moron though is we're talking about a turn based RPG here.

I need at least something to follow there, user.

Attached: bulborb.png (270x294, 71K)

The whole appeal of Paper Mario was that it took the mostly storyless Mario series and actually gave us some insight into the personality of characters like Bowser which was actually a welcome change of pace.
So taking it back to storyless feels like it misses the point.

>M-M-Miyamoto dindu nuffin
When did this become the favorite contrariancore narrative of Yea Forums?

That was actually SMRPG that did that, but I agree user.

The charm, story and fantasy of it all is the whole appeal of the mario RPGs to me. It certainly wasn't moment to moment gameplay.

Attached: monstro town.png (404x1488, 997K)

EVERYONE IS EITHER A TOAD OR A SHY GUY NOW AND YOU ARE GOING TO LIKE THAT, OK????????????

>Intelligent Systems can do no wrong
When did this ever become a viable statement in the past decade?

Attached: 1554708452473.jpg (192x146, 11K)

STORY IN MARIO BAD
GIMMICKY GAMEPLAY GOOD

This is what you Nincels get for trusting Nintendo
It's time for you faggots to give up Nintendo, they're never gonna listen to you again.

>Expext the same to happen to Zelda un the LA remake

We don`t know that yet. It all depends on what studio is developing it, honestly. I really hope that they don`t mess it since it is my favorite Zelda. ALttP has to be a masterpiece as well, no need to put too much frivolous shit in it

Oh. I see. You're a single minded retard and find it too complex to accept that multiple parties can be at fault. Miyamoto wanted the soul killed from the series and IS carried his orders out in the most barebones and incompetent way.

I never said that, but I do see so many others pinning the blame entirely on Miyamoto as if Intelligent Systems wouldn't have fucked this series up regardless of his involvement, like everything else they make now.

Attached: 1526757319331.jpg (443x388, 42K)

Anyone entirely pinning it on Miyamoto is retarded. But on the other hand I do see a lot of people trying to entirely absolve Miyamoto.

Losing the watercolor backdrops of the first Paper Mario was the biggest redflag for this series.

Attached: 1449101871988.jpg (472x744, 157K)

Miyanigger ruined it all and then did it again because "muh sticker star sold well" when really it only was popular because it was one of the only 3DS titles and was critically panned. Now the series is probably in limbo because the past few games sold like ass.

They need to let the old guard of nintendo only stick with their mainline games since they obviously are too senial to focus on anything else

Attached: py2ehlnjj6n21.jpg (720x405, 29K)

>laughing_miyamoto.jpg

alpha dream, koizumi and aonuma proves that all it takes is just an actual competent director to call the shots, tanabe is just too much of a pussy
until he steps down paper mario will be forever doomed

>Yea Forums says CS is good again
>It's just memes instead of actual story or fun gameplay

Glad I didn't but this shit, it's literally SS in HD

Attached: 24993525_1935918276726928_4836585226626950912_n.jpg (363x363, 18K)

Do not acknowledge Color Trash apologists.

I want actual Mario RPG games. I never liked the dumb simplistic Paper Mario series. Doesn't help it's not really Mario as Paper Jam confirmed. It's just some alternate reality where all the characters are paper looking. If I want to play a spin off I still want the characters to be who they're supposed to be. For example in Persona Scramble, the characters still look like their designs from their actual main game despite it being a spin off.

Why can't Nintendo make a fucking Mario RPG game where Mario and the characters look like themselves for consoles? Because that's another thing if we're not drowning in bad Paper Mario games, then instead we get these games for limited handhelds (Mario and Luigi series).

Paper Jam was shit on by fans. Paper Mario autists cannot convince me that Paper Mario fans are interested in the turn based combat.

What they really want is the autistic Sonic OC tier partners to return.

>Doesn't help it's not really Mario as Paper Jam confirmed.
more like it was retconned, and Paper Mario is the canon Mario RPG 2
either way we are not getting any now

Attached: 1531285655804.webm (320x240, 1.75M)

I already assume that it was just SS in HD for some gameplays I found on YouTube but I decide to give it a try when Wii U USB helper was a thing but holy crap it was a waste of time,the "story" is boring and like I say it's just a bunch of bad memes from 2013-2015,the HD style is acceptable but soulless at the same time,the combats are boring and literally not worth and the story is basically the miyamoto shit of "Bowser doing bad shit because why not" even the bosses where replaced by the koopalings,even if I like them i wanted to see more ocs like the old times

Also the literally paint bucket is a starlow rip-off,but the bad version of paper jam who it's annoying

I literally don't get why there's idiots who defend this,or maybe all of them are Arlo

Attached: bowborb.jpg (404x328, 14K)

Arlo shit all over Color Splash, what are you talking about?

>He thinks CS is soulless

You literally never played it.

Attached: Five Fun Guys.png (650x219, 279K)

Imagine the Genofags back then bieng obliterated by the paper gimmick

>take a complex and confusing rpg
>make it easier to understand and make it enjoyable

even M&L fans shit on paper jam because the story was yet another boring generic bowser kidnapped peach but the twist is now that there is 2 of everyone, at least M&L didn't have it's gameplay gutted

shit opinion, you've probably never even played the three