Hey user's, same OP from last night

Hey user's, same OP from last night.
So I thought about it and I made the choice to use Unity over UE4, mostly due to I was getting this gut feeling that if by using the Unreal Engine therefore EPIC will somehow bite me in the ass or new devs in the future.

Now that I have chosen which engine I want to use I was wondering what should I start learning? Animation? Mapping? Game mechanics?
>nb4 learn C#
I have tutorials that automatically start with the basic coding by default I just need something to learn in order.

Attached: Unity.jpg (1200x630, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.godotengine.org/en/3.1/getting_started/step_by_step/index.html
store.steampowered.com/app/828520/Metis_One/?beta=0
pluralsight.com/courses/unity-multiplayer-game-dev-node-2454
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I have tutorials that automatically start with the basic coding by default I just need something to learn in order.
Enjoy making a 2D platform who consume 99% of the CPU and use 3GB of memory.
Learn how to write efficient code, not a language.

Attached: 1538921070119.png (692x687, 238K)

That's what I meant but I worded it poorly, I'll find learning the coding is going to be the most time consuming

Game dev takes time, and anything in the beginning is going to be difficult, I'm studying art by myself, for almost 2 years, and now I'm seeing the results, and it's not even good.
For learning, start with logic and variables, I don't recommend using an engine to study programming, but I know how frustrating it is to write code just to see a command prompt, so mix the two.

I personally recommend the use of Godot over unity, as someone who is using unity to make a game, it's overall more efficient for game dev than Unity in my opinon, at least in 2D.

I was looking into Godot, but idk no one ever brings that engine up it's always UE4 and Unity

next time try not picking a game engine based on memes

make tetris

Godot still new, it lacks features for 3D game development, not that is impossible to work with, but, you will have better time using Unity or Unreal, plus it is open source, most people/companies avoid FOSS for commercial products.

What do you mean that I picked an engine based on memes?
I don't know how

What is FOSS?

Free and Open Source Software, the source code is open to everyone, and you don't need to pay for the license.

do the companies avoid it because of the missing features?

just use gamemaker studio for babbys first game. then move to unity.

Don't listen to this retard. You can get away following tutorials for the coding part. Start learning animation / art to compliment the coding part. If you've been playing games your entire life mapping and game mechanics will come naturally so just save that for after.

Look for tutorials, X tutorial, X introduction.

For Godot, probably, but this is most on frontend software, backend is most open source solutions.

docs.godotengine.org/en/3.1/getting_started/step_by_step/index.html

When I was using UE4 I was map making to see what I could make

Attached: 2017-11-30 11_05_35-ElementalDemo - Unreal Editor.png (847x488, 489K)

Oh cool thanks user

Attached: 2017-11-29 16_27_18-ElementalDemo - Unreal Editor.png (847x479, 827K)

Attached: 2017-11-28 22_55_13-ElementalDemo - Unreal Editor.png (954x490, 1.07M)

>game dev without any practical skills

enjoy being an ideas guy. learn to code.

I already wasted half of my 20's It seems too late for me to code

don't be retarded. i'm a software engineer and we have new hires who are well into their 30s.

idk why I just had this huge feeling that when I hit 30 I would be completely obsolete because I wasted 9 years of my young adult hood on being a wage cuck

then stop being a waste of oxygen and learn to code. pick up C#

What jobs would get me anywhere with C#?

>if by using UE therefore
learn english you spic

also stop asking on Yea Forums and just make a simple game like pong or snake or tetris. stop being a pussy about programming.

Coding jobs

lots of places. C# is a language that's closely linked with the .NET framework. .NET is a Microsoft creation which they heavily support.

you likely won't work in any hip startups because they like using the newest/trendiest languages and frameworks, but lots of places use the Microsoft stack.

if all else fails, C# and Java are almost identical, and Java is widely used too

I like MonoGame. It breathes easy around my balls and doesn't pinch

Attached: 1498595284334.jpg (1736x1080, 226K)

was meant for

>the state of this thread
you don't need to be a programmer to work on games. programmers usually do the least work directly related to the game anyways, as the vast majority of programming is engine work or developing in house tools. you can be an artist or sound designer for instance.

I thought thought Java was going to die out soon? or was that flash?

but anons on Yea Forums have been tho most helpful why should I stop?

Attached: 1541084505022.png (116x117, 29K)

its not just missing features. what is there is poorly done, buggy, and non-performant compared to using an engine like Unreal or Unity.

idk where you heard Java is dying, but you're probably thinking of Flash. Java is an incredibly widely used programming language, especially in enterprise software development and banks.

I'm not worried about programming, I just wanted to use the most convenient engine with no strings attached so I can eventually make good games and sell them.

>but anons on Yea Forums have been tho most helpful why should I stop?
this thread has gotten you basically no where. so far all you've done is pick an engine and it took you a whole fucking day to do so. search online for tutorials. the only help this place can provide is spoonfeeding you the links.

sorry to burst your bubble, but don't waste your time. you won't make any money selling games that you make. learn programming and get a software engineering job.

don't make video games. do not. make. video games.

I'm not specifically referring to you OP. im referring to the faggots saying that you are useless if you can't program.

Get a freelancer job, and make games on the side.

This isn't actually how it's going to pan out. Art will consume 60% of your dev time. If you're making 3d anyways. If pixel art is your bag that'll probably lower it considerably. But 3d is insanely time consuming. Just an absolute crap ton of tedium to get done. At least at learning stages, but even the actual pros take a ton of man hours because while they work much faster their end product is much more complex and better.

C# once you learn it, which for me it went pretty quickly once I got the swing of it, you won't spend very much time with. Tip: never copy paste code. Always write your own. I see so many questions on the various Unity learning hubs that are very obviously someone trying to solve a problem created by code they bought off the asset store. And it's simple shit, but since they don't know how it works it's hard to trouble shoot.

Use the Unity tutorials they are actually really good, find the live stream recording ones. Good way to learn best practices from the actual Unity guys, which presumably are the actual best practices.

t.guy who learned everything from scratch and made his own game in Unity. Took about a year and a half.

t. ideas guy

The basic premise to programming and game development in general is that there isnt an entry point. You just need to immerse yourself.

Start by understanding what a game object is, and what a box collider does. Maybe try out unity's rigid collider and if you have questions you can add me on discord or something.

Post your game!

>you won't make any money selling games that you make
This is absolutely true. Do not do this to make money. Do it to learn new skills and because you ABSOLUTELY WANT to. It is all consuming and if you aren't doing it for the right reasons you will never finish.

You guys see these one man games where the dude got rich like Undertale or whatever, but you have to understand, for every one of those there is ten thousand games, just as good, wallowing in obscurity. Getting big and becoming the big meme is largely luck and happenstance. People won't play a game unless other people are playing the game too. Do you see the contradiction there?

How much of Unity's basic features are locked behind the jew asset store? I get the feeling that people recommending Unity also are trying to sell me a snippet of code for $50.

For 2D games Godot should be fine, especially for learning. That or learn how to use OpenGL which is not something I'd recommend for someone brand new to programming.

There are other languages and libraries you could use to learn programming by making a game. Python + pygame is pretty widely used. I've never used it but SFML can be used to learn game programming in C++ or even C, python, or java.

you realize that not all game dev is solo indie devs, right? big AAA studios have tons of artists who probably have no idea what a command line looks like.

store.steampowered.com/app/828520/Metis_One/?beta=0
This is my game. It's on Steam. It sold a few copies and got a few positives. I've posted keys for it here before but I'm not sure anyone bothered installing. The competition for peoples gaming time is pretty crazy, so it's totally understandable no one wants to spend three hours dying to the first two levels of some random shmup. If you guys are interested I can dig out some keys.

Attached: itch_Store.gif (650x500, 1.93M)

i'm talking about in the context of amateur game devs. nobody here works for a AAA studio. i'm just saying that programmers are much more useful and less abundant than people who make art/music.

Start by cloning basic games from the 1980s. Pong or Breakout are good choices and will teach you the basics of input and collision. After each project move to a slightly more ambitious game to copy and attempt to estimate the amount of work it would take. Your estimate will most likely be wrong, so sit down and try to figure out why that was.

You'll soon realize that games are made up of entirely different elements than what you thought. Whereas you think "This game would be better with more varied enemy movesets" a developer thinks "Oh god my dynamic scene loading is held together by sticks and twine"

haha, thats awesome user! Just wondering thats local multiplayer only right? Or is it actually online too?

>pixel art doesn't take as much time as 3D
Maybe if it's fucking dogshit. Any form of good art for a game is tantamount to slave labor

So if I shouldn't make videogames I should just be an ideas guy and recruit other people to build the ideas into the game for me? like a kojima?

I'll add you on discord if you want

The money would be just income but I want my ideas to come to life

Yeah that's my plan is to start something small and free then I get better and establish myself then start getting into bigger projects

Attached: 1518241568551.png (1432x1073, 1.12M)

>So if I shouldn't make videogames I should just be an ideas guy and recruit other people to build the ideas into the game for me? like a kojima?

no, being an ideas guy is worse than not making video games. my point is that if you're getting into game dev to make money, you're going to be incredibly disappointed.

Absolutely nothing on the asset store is required. I used one asset from there, it's an input manager that cost 20 bucks and allowed me to support basically any controller ever made. I could of course write this solution myself, and in fact I started to. But when I realized the insane amount of effort it would require 20 bucks suddenly seemed like a small price heh. Plus I never would have written anything near as robust as what the guys I bought from did.

Unity's biggest weakness in my opinion is input support. It's basically impossible to allow things like key remapping on controllers out of the box. They are working on a new system that will make it work like the various sold assets do. Where instead of an input being a key, or a button, the input is an "action" and you then assign keys and buttons to actions instead. It's an all around way better way than the archaic set up they have now. I have no idea the roadmap on that feature though. I wish they'd prioritize it higher but they spend a lot of effort adding cinematic tools now for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I ran into the controller input thing too in my own game. Its fucking bullshit.

It's local only. I'm not sure a shmup could be done with online. It's just too tightly tuned. And net code isn't something I've learned yet. Going to add it for the next game (a hack and slash) if I can.

Yeah they need to just buy out Rewired or InControl like they did with TextMeshPro. There's supposed to be a new input system in beta or something, but I can't upgrade in the middle of a project. Writing your own controller mapping for just a few layouts is pretty easy, but it's just a pain to spend time on that that you could be spending doing anything else.

very nice user

I don't reccomend picking game engines because of bias of their owners, if you look up games made by unreal engine 4 they are much more impressive than Hearthstone and Assassins creed: Identity

Not going to read the rest of the thread.

OP, if you do not know what you are doing with Unity, then your first step will be to toy around with the built in tools and see if you can understand the GameObject and component system. Make Stonehenge. Make a step pyramid. Try to get the character controllers to work. Import stuff.

However, you are dead in the water until you are able to write your own scripts. From there, your big task will be in matching your scope to your ability. Simple ideas do not need complex implementations, so don't discourage yourself if you can't think of how to do something. Shave away some expectations and build from there.

Zero. But, people have improved in the basic tools in unity and made them better (sometimes). Some of the really big store implementations eventually get copied and made into a built in feature.

InControl is what I used. And I agree they should have just bought it. The system they are building though is essentially for devs the same thing, but it's going to be built in the actual engine so theoretically it will be much better for optimization. I trust their guys will deliver an excellent solution, but the question is when? They did drop nested prefabs though so we know now literally anything is possible lol

Yeah, it would be a little jank to pull of a shmup with online, but i think its possible. Im currently looking into testing out a simple online unity game.

Im a little familiar with node so im gunna give this a go.

pluralsight.com/courses/unity-multiplayer-game-dev-node-2454

>my first game will be a triple A that needs heavy optimization
you're a meme

>what should I start learning? Animation? Mapping? Game mechanics?
Art. No one will play a game that looks like a pile of shit inside of a garbage bag. You at least need some ideas about design even if you use other people's assets.

>local co-op only
You gotta do what the Crawl devs did and advertise Parsec. I get negligible lag with it.

Game design starts with a good idea. I myself, have all the good ideas

Attached: 430.jpg (650x366, 31K)

PLEASE GIVE IDEA. I CODE ALL DAY. DRAW ALL DAY. BUT I CANT THINK OF GOOD IDEA. ME DUMB

YOU BASTARD, STOP HORDING THEM ALL

If you've never programmed or designed a game before, you should start real simple, by making a clone of an old arcade game like pacman.

He's lying. There unironically are no good ideas left. Everything that can be done in video games has already been done.

I have Ideas I just need to shit them out

That's the plan

Doesn't hurt to have sameshit different but better story

>learn how to model
>have plenty of ideas
>have plenty of time to learn coding
>start learning code
>every tutorial is fucking shit and explains everything like a fucking mess
>anons recommend bootcamp
wish me luck bros, it looks better than any other tutorial I've read

Attached: ab7.jpg (624x401, 25K)

ok but I can't reveal all the details in public, basically I'm designing a game that's as hard as dark souls, but is as friendly as Mario, and it uses a unique camera system that doesn't exist, also you have a very complex crafting system where you collect skins and turn them into poweful items, and then a skilltree similar to path of exile, it also has puzzles and the story I'm writing is on the level of witcher 3, the map is going to be larger than WoW with all it's expansions and the main character is an unliving elf young girl who can shapeshift and manipulate the atomic structure of things with her hearth. You have a large moral tree branching stories to decide if you're going to be good and evil, and at some point you might even become a literal God. If you want to know more hit me up in discord with your credentials and portfolio to know ur serious.

Attached: 1497586129391.jpg (1020x575, 104K)

i also want to add the character design will be a mix of yoshitaka amano and takehito harada

You know time travel is really popular these days. you must want to add time warping as a part of the gameplay and plotline too.

if that's true, why isn't there a modern Blinx?

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 447K)

How do anons add eachother on discord without publicly posting?

is there some dm system that I haven't known about for 10 years?

Attached: 1555792049188.jpg (460x423, 17K)

>He doesnt have a Yea Forums gold account

I haven't had a Yea Forums gold account ever since moot left, I ain't shekeling out 24$ to a chink who works for google

So how do I dm you without 4changold