When I was a kid gaming was simple. You just put the disc into the PlayStation and then started playing

When I was a kid gaming was simple. You just put the disc into the PlayStation and then started playing.
Can someone explain when and how gaming became so complicated that you need a massive PC rig and hours of pre-game tuning? All these games that people talk about here like Total War, World of Warcraft, League of Legends etc. I YouTubed them to see what it was like and I was completely baffled. I didn't have a clue. How does it all work?

t. 30 year old boomer

Attached: iu.png (657x527, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rncYscWAgt0&app=desktop
youtube.com/watch?v=ZHT2TgMX7Rg&app=desktop
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home
youtube.com/watch?v=e4tuIBcVJ0k&app=desktop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>when i was a kid
>playstation
fuck off, zoomer.

ah-bloo-bloo

Based shitposter

My penus wenus of course:D

You don’t need anything special. You can build something more than powerful enough for like $600, maybe less now. And the amount of games you have the option to play goes way up. Building a PC isn’t hard either.

I liked your last one better.

I was talking more about the complexity of modern games with ages of preconfiguration before you start playing. When did that start?

S-Sorry

Man, every single post with a fucking frog reads like it was posted by someone with a chemical imbalance. What is it about that fucking thing that naturally attracts literal mongoloids?

>I was talking more about the complexity of modern games with ages of preconfiguration before you start playing. When did that start?
When games began evolving beyond "Make Mario jump over the koopas."

Strategy games will generally start off slowly until the player understands aspects of the game. For example, when I first started playing HoMM, Civilization, and others, I would study my options for what to build, why to build it, benefits, etc. If you make decisions blindly, the AI kicks your ass. Now? Now I can breeze through early turns because I know what to expect (within reason) and have an established order for building and researching skills.

So is the category of games this happens in just "strategy games"? And if I avoid those I'm good to go?

Most games, aside from your basic platformers and puzzle games, are going to have some form of start-up period where you customize your character or follow instructions through a tutorial.

You can always return to the old PS1 games and older handheld titles.

>Most games
Damn. When did this start? What year roughly, so I can avoid games from that year onwards?

30 year old gamer? Little bitch boy: 35 year old gamer here. When I was first playing games it was shove the cartridge in, with friends that still had to play theirs on cassettes. You don't need a fucking PC rig; pc gaming is not worth the effort and expense. Not if you're trying to keep up with modern gaming. Get a PC that can play games well from five years ago and a console (I'd recommend a PS4 Pro and a Switch) and you're sorted without having to worry about drivers and bad PC ports that get review bombed on steam. Games now are better, more involved, with more scope and ambition than I ever imagined as a kid. Don't waste your money on shit games, but don't fool yourself into thinking that we don't have a wider and better choice now than we did when we were younger. There's also nothing to stop us going back to play anything and everything good from the past thirty years. Compare fucking Pac man to the likes of a planescape, half life 2, bloodborne, divinity original sin 2, uncharted 4 and god of war or smash ultimate. Games have come so far.

Like I said, once they went beyond hopping over goombas and piranha plants. Even FF1 makes you select a 4-character party before jumping in.

You're fairly safe if you stick to platformers, regardless of year. Of course, if you can stomach completing a tutorial now and then or assigning skills before beginning, you may find the payoff is worth it.

>when I was a kid
>Atari

Fuck off, Zoomer

maybe it's done on purpose
who the fuck knows

I couldn't get back into it even if I wanted to. I haven't played a game since Metal Gear Solid on PlayStation 1. Like I said everything requires shit loads of configuration before play even begins. Look at this for instance:

youtube.com/watch?v=rncYscWAgt0&app=desktop

>with friends that still had to play theirs on cassettes.
Fucking Read errors.

What's platformers?

>when i was a boy
>playstation 3

>"pre game tuning"
Wtf are you retarded?

>OP was too poor to own a PC as a kid
>thinks modern PC gaming is as complicated as it gets
>never experienced 90s PC "gaming"
LMAO

From the last thread, again for you:

Dude's explaining Total War to newbies.

You picked a complex strategy game that actually merits a hefty explantion and want to just drop in, bypass the tutorial, get fucked by the AI and regret your purchase because you don't want to learn the game? Yes, you CAN speed into the game after you've gotten used to certain things -- choosing a faction, character, etc. -- but this isn't "I just bought Mega Man and don't need the manual because my choices are limited to 'jump' and 'shoot' lol."

No look at the YouTube link here

Not true I played Quake on my friends PC in the 90s and it was great. Why did PC gaming become so complex and shit?
Good explanation but my point has a much wider application. Like World of Warcraft and League of Legends etc.

awful /r/Yea Forums bait thread
kill yourself fucking discord tranny

What the hell are you even talking about?

World of Warcraft makes you select a race, class, and customize your character. That's about as barebones as it gets for an RPG where you aren't using prebuilt characters. League runs you through a tutorial which is, again, par for the course when you're playing a competitive game so new players can't claim they know nothing about the game when landing in their first match.

Most of these are one-time inconveniences that you seem to be quibbling about.

>be OP
>look into multiplayer games, RTS, and moba after playing simple straight forward platformers aimed at very young children.
>WHY SO COMPLICATED
You made to big of a jump and you are worried that because you are older you are not capable because you are faced with learning something new.

>TLDR
literally every single time anyone over the age of 19 has to learn anything new they freak out

Attached: 1526261030164.jpg (1106x1012, 758K)

You keep addressing my individual examples while ignoring the wider point I'm making. There are other hundreds of other examples.

Look at this. It's perfect. You start playing straight away. No complexities.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZHT2TgMX7Rg&app=desktop

Not him but my question is what is it exactly that you are wanting?

What is platformers?
Just a general explanation and understanding of when and why this started? Because it wasn't always like this

yup they don't make games like quake anymore
*sips monster energy drink*

It's fucking QUAKE. You're given a gun and there are enemies to shoot. You don't need a complex start because your only objective it to shoot the guys who aren't on your team.

There's no research or tech trees. There are no skills to choose from when choosing a character skin. Aside from brief powerups that are explained on pickup, it's the quintessential FPS experience.

Did a lol

>What is platformers?
oh my you are a boomer.
>Just a general explanation and understanding of when and why this started? Because it wasn't always like this
Developers realized that their community was willing to do more with their games and actively wanted more.

Fuck you both. When I was a kid, we use to sit around the camp and play with the latest rocks. Of course at the time we didn't call it gaming, we called it 'rocks', but it was the same thing. We'd beat our rocks against each other, and whoever's rock didn't crack into pieces won. No stupid weeb shit or autistic shit like tiers and achievments, just good old-fashioned rock against rock competition. If you lost, you'd ask your dad to get you a new rock when the men were going on the hunt, and if he remembered and didn't crack open your head and eat your brain, and also didn't get killed by a sabre-tooth cat or some kind of giant sloth, you might get a new rock to play with - and we were grateful for it. It was fucking bullshit though because the Neanderthal kids had better rocks than us, I don't know where they were getting them but fuck them all.

>not enjoying figuring out a good cpmplicated game for the first time
One of the best times I had was launching the rocket for the first time in factorio.

Pc has been around longer than consoles you stupid useless zoomer

Yea but it was classic. And fun. Not requiring hour length tutorials and really intricate preconfiguration. I don't see the appeal?
Yea so what are platformers? It's my first time here. Also how do I avoid these games? What cancerous signs do I look out for that says "This is a game that requires boring prep work"?
Lol

>general explanation and understanding of when and why this started
Around 1988 or so, because people started designing games that required the player to actively make choices that could affect their play experience.

Not all titles are like this. At 30, the OP should have a basic grasp of that.

Platformers, like 2D Mario titles, are one of the few genres that doesn't need an in-depth explanation to begin playing. Many FPS games fall into this as well -- Quake, Halo, Goldeneye, etc. basically let you fire up the game and shoot your friends in the face. Total War, however, is much more than "attack that guy and win" so it makes sense that it would have a lengthy tutorial on the many aspects of developing your faction.

>First console was the PS1
>Going to be 27 next month

It feels weird that I was a zoomer back in the early 2010's, but even I'm getting old now.

you can put together a PC for under a thousand dollars that can play all modern games on medium-highish 55-60FPS. Cheaper if you can salvage stuff like harddrive and RAM from old PCs lying around

>it wasn't always like this
Not all games are simply start and play.
There were games that were a more complex than your average PlayStation game you imbecile

All those old ass cRPG games older than Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate required that you read the Manual.
There's all those Sim games like Sim Isle and those first Civs.
They weren't simply start-and-play, they always had a manual and you read them first.

Even though OP is a retard it sure gets annoying when you buy a slightly older game online and have to find workarounds to get it working because online retailers sell products that aren't actually working properly. Even GoG is guilty of this shit

Attached: 1551985907699.jpg (637x358, 35K)

Somewhere along the line it stopped being about the games and more about the other faggots who play them.

Fuck I hate multiplayer. I hate people. I hate the very notion that other people want to play things together. Why can't you all just die?

1988? What the hell. I don't remember that.

OP here. How do I avoid these games?

pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

>When I was a kid
>You just put the disc into the PlayStation
YIKES

Why not just play games you want to play. Most games dont require the weird setup you described.

It was probably earlier. FF2 was released, along with a number of other RPGs where players actually had to make decisions.

Early D&D, Civilization, Sim, and Might and Magic games were still in the making, but not far off.

There are parents right now who grew up with the Dreamcast, it's not too farfetched.

Consoles still exist and gaming on PC has never been so easy.
t. playing on PC since windows 95

The post wasn't about having problems finding workarounds and solutions, it's about having to find solutions for games that got placed for sale online long after being released but that weren't updated to work on modern machines. Thanks for the link though I didn't know there was a dedicated community for this

What are you saying? I'm.too old to be here or something?
Yea how am I supposed to know which games don't require this tedious shit. I've been out the loop for 20 years.

Just look up a let's play video on Youtube for any game you're interested in.
You'll know if it's something you'd like to play.

>Yea how am I supposed to know which games don't require this tedious shit. I've been out the loop for 20 years.
Take two minutes to read reviews of games you're interested in. Watch gameplay videos.

Honestly, it's easier now than 20 years ago.

>Yea how am I supposed to know which games don't require this tedious shit. I've been out the loop for 20 years.
Man i dont know what game you are wanting to play and why you think it will have tedious shit but let me ask you some shit. What is it that you think you will have to do? What is this tedious shit you thinking exists?

Attached: 1445799100272.png (398x409, 49K)

Spending ages configuring characters, locations, weapons, strategies etc. Reading shit loads of boxes densely packed with information. Confusing button combinations.

I'm a boomer and I want stuff like Metal Gear Solid or Quake lel

I'm older than you and this topic is fucking stupid.
Absolutely no game requires hours of preparation, you can spend 10 minutes going through the settings and keybinds and that's it.

Complex games have always existed and you don't need any "preparation" either. Just start them, get your ass handed to you and do the learning by doing thing.

>Spending ages configuring characters, locations, weapons, strategies etc. Reading shit loads of boxes densely packed with information. Confusing button combinations.

user, pick a game that you have an interest in and I will walk you and your very very fragile and scared mind through it. Together we will both reach deep within your anal cavity, grab that skull of yours, pull it out, and spray all of the nasty shit out of it with the water hose of not being a dumbass

Attached: 1512718717330.jpg (250x200, 8K)

Pick up FPS games. That's about all there is at this point.

Except, even then, you risk finding one that involves picking character traits like Borderlands or Alpha Protocol.

Well I don't have a PC at the moment but thanks for the offer.
>Character traits
Yes I hate tedious shit like this.

>Well I don't have a PC at the moment but thanks for the offer.
Give me your address so i can come strangle you, you extremely frustrating man

Doom 2016 but you'd probably complain about the weapon upgrade system.

>Yes I hate tedious shit like this
You don't like taking 3 seconds to spend a point to add a rocket launcher onto your machine gun turret?

Attached: photo.png (324x323, 122K)

>upgrade
i hate tedious shit

Lol I had a MacBook Pro but I just got rid of it lol
Basically what I'm saying is all that preconfiguration stuff bores me to death and I don't understand it.

ah-bloo-bloo

You're being too vague. Complain about one game in particular. It sounds like you're just against learning new stuff.

>OP doesnt want to play videogames
>OP doesnt want to play old videogames either
>OP just made a thread to say everything is tedious
this is all so tiresome

Attached: n-chubu-a-20150630.jpg (1776x2377, 2.08M)

>all that preconfiguration stuff bores me to death and I don't understand it
Jesus. It's like someone being given the option to experience any page in the Kama Sutra and just saying "Nah. I'm going to masturbate in the shower again."

Attached: archer-edited.jpg (500x375, 35K)

Look at this video as another example:

youtube.com/watch?v=e4tuIBcVJ0k&app=desktop

How long does he spend on preconfiguration?

Now compare to my Quake link earlier. Notice a difference?

>comparing an rts to an fps
why....?
Are you actually stupid?

Wat? The fuck are you talking about? Gaems got piss easy over the years, at least most of them. There's a new wave of mostly indie games that try to get back to that, but most mainstream games are fucking point and click, with a billion tooltips telling you what to do at every stage of the game.

Games like Ultima just dropped you in, and you were on your own. No quest logs, or arrows pointing to your next quest giver. I don't even have to read game manuals these days (Falcon 4.0 anyone?). If you're overwhelmed by today's games, you clearly need help.

>strategy game video
You don't get any points for bitching about games that involve choosing research, building orders, or diplomacy. We've established that you like ones that are little more than Rooty Tooty Point and Shooty.

>How does it all work?
30 year old boomer here, it works exactly the same. Back in my day I just installed my strategy games and played them. No set up or even good PC required. And even before that on Megadrive I had, same, pop in Dune or Herzog Zwei and play. I don't understand what you mean by "pre-tuning", it's a fucking video game. Figuring shit out on your own is part of the fun, well maybe not in League but why would you play that shit if you want to have fun.

What do you mean? I don't know the difference. I'm just giving examples....
Yea but it looks like it's every modern game.
I gave plenty of examples of pretuning like

YOU JUST WONT LISTEN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

What do you mean lol

>Yea but it looks like it's every modern game
100% bullshit. Strategy/4X games are leagues beyond the norm for prep work.

If you can't take the time to let an installer or updates run, you're just all kinds of screwed. If you can't take the time to Google a few reviews to find games that match what your interests are, you're just lazy.

What was the last "real" era of gaming with soul here?

Attached: 1554425635207.png (1400x1039, 3.15M)

>game is coming out? sweet, let me get it
>pre-load it
>release date, it’s ready as soon as it’s midnight
>press start

still easy on my ps4, it downloads patches automatically in rest mode and updates it pre-day 1, I can change games instantly without worrying about changing discs, so it’s ok unless you’re a disgusting disc user in the digital age

So it's just strategy/4X games then?

Mid-2000s is where things started to run into trouble.

>t. 30. year old boomer
>talks like a 15 yr old girl
among many others thing I could point out. Nice fishing hole you got yourself here I guess

Attached: 1401056010383.jpg (500x375, 53K)

No, it's literally possible in every genre.

Strategy has it in everything.
Sports has it in team/player creation.
FPS have it in character perks and weapon customization.
RPGs also have perks and customization.

I literally am a 30 year old boomer. Well I turned 30 last week but nevertheless. Maybe I just need shit loads of trial and error with these really complicated games or something.

Well that's proven my point all along. That it's everywhere now.

But not in every game, unless you're pissed about installing or updating.

PC games were even more complicated when you were a kid. Console games are still simple so just play those.