Why is linear progression in video games always depicted as left to right? Why not right to left?

Why is linear progression in video games always depicted as left to right? Why not right to left?

Is there even a single game out there (Not in 3D space) that doesnt follow this model?

Attached: linear progression.png (305x123, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aGsnm2nOnso
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Metroid
Rain World

how do you read this sentence, from left to right or right to left?

Because people read from left to right

Metroid still has you progressing right for most of its design. Either way you go you'll eventually end up at tourian.

Not the japanese.

Because coordinate systems go from left to right. It's more intuitive to start a level from x0 than x342355, isn't it.

Attached: 1200px-Cartesian-coordinate-system.svg.png (1200x1200, 49K)

I mean by the metric you still start at X0 you just go negative.

>reading video games

>Is there even a single game out there (Not in 3D space) that doesnt follow this model?
Of course. Metroid series for example doesn't go strictly left to right, then there's Castlevania. Even the first Castlevanias had levels going from right to left.
You could, but you don't. Why would you? Every monitor uses this system.

Having right be positive is just as arbitrary.

Because moving to right is equal to increasing horizontal position and as such it's natural to think from 0 to 300 as a travel of some sort.

You can say the same for all universal standards, but they are maintained for a reason.

And it's the defacto standard.

Attached: 17123231559_fbffb23121_z.jpg (640x640, 73K)

Metroidvanias are universal direction. I was asking more along the lines of something that actively promotes right to left travel as it primary method of play.

Oh.

Doesn't exist to my knowledge.

Super Luigi Bros.

i think some of the stages in wonderboy and the dragons trap were right to left

>Is there even a single game out there (Not in 3D space) that doesnt follow this model?
Super Metroid actually starts you in the center of the screen. If you opt to go right, as is the norm, you'll end up at a roadblock. Going left at the beginning actually leads to progress. After that, most directions are fair game.

It symbolizes how people gradually move from the political left to the political right as they grow older. It's a metaphor for life.

because we live in a society

This. and the enemies you defeat represent homosexuality, communism and godlessness

non-euclidean geometric game when

youtube.com/watch?v=aGsnm2nOnso

But the enemies come from the right...?

Attached: 1552660071369.png (451x619, 392K)

mario did it so it is the law

Mario wasn't the first platformer. Zoomers are really clueless.

mario is the most historically significant video game after pong

It's all because heroes are moving left to right while villains are moving right to left, duh.

Doesn't change that it didn't invent platforming. Even then, Donkey Kong Arcade holds more significance.

what invented it doesn't matter
everyone who made a game with walking and jumping on platforms built their game on the ideas presented by mario

Zoomers these days.

Attached: pitfall.jpg (1127x637, 45K)

shame this game was shit

Shame that it influenced everything after.

That just means you were so far left that anything less left or even to the right was an obstacle.

how many platforming games can you name where falling into the pits doesn't kill you and where you swing on ropes?

Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3
Tomba 1 and 2

And influencing doesn't mean 1:1 copy, ESL Zoomer.

no, but it implies adopting characteristics.
the rope seems pretty important to pitfall because it's what you use to leap over the pits

Pitfall is literally the very first platformer game. It has multiple levels where you overcome obstacles by jumping.
You, focusing on the pits and ropes, makes me think you have a learning disability.

Attached: 1381727221074.jpg (566x480, 54K)

user, "platforming" implies platforms.
All I see are ropes, here.

Mushroom 11 has you at least mostly going left. Great game.

Attached: Mushroom 11.jpg (1728x1080, 369K)

What are you niggers even arguing about anymore? The thread is about going from left to right in linear video games.

Left to right just feels right