Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Now that DLCs are out and turn-based combat is implemented, what's your final verdict? Better or worse than PoE 1?

Attached: 2e6a071865dabab3bb409e3c72bd4eee0a0d7255e721037c2ebb0e97d5f93ecc.jpg (1600x740, 339K)

>Better or worse than PoE 1?

It sold worse than the first game

Wonder why? Must have been the gay fish

Attached: poe2 fish gay.jpg (1920x1080, 120K)

poe2 didn't need dlc it needed a rewrite. the dlc did not do this. thus it remains worse than poe1. also both are worse than divinity.

the ship management/combat and garbage narrative prevent me from enjoying the game at all

>cuck game

>what's your final verdict? Better or worse than PoE 1?
I will never now because 1 were shit so won't play 2

It's better by a significant margin in every way but the writing
Unfortunately it's an rpg so that's a pretty big fuckup

>>the ship management/combat

Reminder Obsidiots hyped up the CYOA ship shit.

Attached: kr06f2x.jpg (1920x1080, 310K)

I haven't played any of the DLC's yet but the game really would have benefited from some more encounter variety, enemies in both PoE games are way too afraid to break engagement, the only enemies I can ever remember going for the backline are the Ondra Monks in 1. I was making a character earlier, saw Priest of Woedica had a special ability "stop all non spell abilities in an AoE", and then I had to stop and ask myself how many of those are even in the game.

As far as the writing I think people's problems with it are way overblown and it's good for the most part.

I liked it. Companions in general suck though, which really sucks.
I only like Eder and Aloth out of them. Side kicks are nice too, since they aren't ruined with Obsidian romance.

>>I will never now because 1 were shit so won't play 2

B-b-b-but 1 was amazing! Like this scene

>Yes
>(Sarcastic yes)
>Yes
>HATE YESES

OH NO NO NO NO

Attached: fuwj0Yo.jpg (1492x1055, 202K)

I don't think you can even reach these options without already committing to asking him about it in the previous text box.

reminder ydwin never became a romance but fag rekke did fucking obsidian cucks

Am I going to like this game if I loved the first PoE, or are they too different?

Judging from the screenshots and videos I've seen there were a lot of gameplay changes, right?

>Am I going to like this game if I loved the first PoE, or are they too different?

You like shit, why wouldn't you like more shit?

Attached: oew0jOp.png (815x170, 211K)

the writing is fucking trash straight out of california

>Divinity vs Pillars shitfights
Ahh good times
Speaking of which, is the Divinity 1 any good? I'm starving for rpgs right now and need my fix

As someone who enjoyed PoE, I stayed off from PoE2 because I've heard mostly poor things about the story (i.e., underwhelming, non-conclusive, etc.) A shame too because I'd get through Deadfire pretty quickly otherwise if it were worthwhile. YMMV.

Armor is now a percent defense boost that is vs. another stat called Penetration instead of a flat reduction in damage, almost all per rest abilities are now per-encounter including spells, you can make multiclass characters, each class has more specializations which you can also take in multiclass. Spells and feats are now part of the same tree, Clerics and Druids don't get every spell whenever they get a new level. Oh and no more endurance vs. HP, instead you can get knocked out 3 times before you die for good unless you rest.

It's still fundamentally the same but a lot of design issues like in combat healing being garbage were addressed.

Mod tools aren't as good - Div 2 really has some good stuff on the workshop

I liked both the first and second game. It was fun to go around exploring in a ship and I enjoy the characters and combat. Being a monk is also good fun.

Really wish the classes and systems from the 2nd game could be backported to the first game, the first game doesn't have nearly as many fun builds but I like the plot better..

>There are Obsidiots that think this Anthony Burch tier writing is good

OH NO NO NO NO

Attached: deadfire epic writing.jpg (825x546, 183K)

Red pill me on this series
Is it as difficult as Baldur's Gate with mods or is it literally "learn mechanics, wtfpwn the game"?

Can I have a complete evil playthrough where I fuck everone over as much as possible?

>deadfire's fucking "plot" would be the same if you never got involved
fuck this game is trash

>This is not a trap

It's a trap, isn't it?

Attached: 1478789677242.jpg (200x211, 6K)

no

it's a speedrun

>and turn-based combat is implemented
Is it completely implemented, or just some betatesting build?

>follow eothas around the archipelago, getting sidetracked by bullshit faction garbage along the way
>get to the end and nothing you did matters, you just ask for the ending you want
what was the point

subverted expectations

I think it exits beta soon but I don’t know why you would want to play it that way, it changes core systems to make it work in a way that’s clearly not intended.

>Is it as difficult as Baldur's Gate with mods or is it literally "learn mechanics, wtfpwn the game"?
It's moderately easy as long as you have a balanced party. There are stronger and weaker classes but they're all valuable which is a big plus. Usually in rpgs there's one good build and the rest is shit

>Can I have a complete evil playthrough where I fuck everone over as much as possible?
Yes
You can murder children and sacrifice babies as part of a blood ritual, among other things

>>Hey you want some gay sex?
>No, but while I'm also gay, I'd only do it if you were attractive *wink*

What did Obsidigay- I mean Obsidian, mean by this in Pillars of Eternity 2 when you have no real way of saying no?

Attached: faggotry in pillrs2.jpg (1239x808, 235K)

hey

Attached: hey.jpg (635x714, 72K)

Option 5 is "no"
Option 3 is "fuck no"

Thanks - in BG I liked being mage and pwning the entire world - are any classes specifically "debuff every enemy, summon a bunch of bears, let death commence" or "I have time stop, let me just freeze time, unleash my spells, now you're fucked"

Well, because I like CRPGs but I hate Pillars combat system? If it was like Pathfinder, or like the classic infinity engine games, it would be no problem, but something about the way Pillars does things feels like shit.

>subverted expectations

IT SUBVERTED EXPECTATIONS THAT MEANS IT'S GOOD AND BETTER THAN BOG STANDARD GAMES LIKE DIV 2!

Attached: gamespot pillars.jpg (1259x691, 55K)

Wizard is top tier in PoE but it’s not DnD tier. Summoning is on Chanter which is like a Bard kind of.

>deadfire is obsidian's last jedi
>outer worlds will be their solo
get woke go broke

>>Option 5 is "no"

No it fucking isn't

>>Option 3 is "fuck no"

fucking based.

I played as Druid who has a lot of crowd control spells.
Also, Druids start with the ability to temporarily turn into a spirit animal of your choice, so instead of summoning a bear you'd turn into a bear yourself.

You might also enjoy Wizard, who are top tier spellcasters with great flexibility, or "Ciphers" which are essentially psychic battlemages.

>No it fucking isn't
You're correct. Number 6 however is 'no'.
Which part of 'Get your ugly ass out of my cabin' expresses 'I'm gay', in your opinion?

Thanks, anons.
Last question: do the ciphers/wizards/chants/druids all play similarly from PoE to PoE2? I don't mind if they're difference but I don't want to say, pick a wizard with classic "spells per level, rest for spells to cast" and then find out it's a mana system or something.

Sawyer/Ropekid is the Rian Johnson of Obsidian:

A talentless hack who only retards like for his also bad older work (Looper/Icewind Dale)

Attached: 1542457243387.png (1156x284, 91K)

Both druids and wizards change their spells from having a lot of them and being per rest to having 4 spells of each level and being per encounter.

Druids get their bullshit OPness tuned down in the 2nd game but both classes play the same. I played through both games as Druid and it stays strong in both games but the “storm” spells are stupid in the 1st game.

>get woke go broke

:^)

Attached: 1548719109483.png (737x768, 151K)

Is the turn based mode ever going to properly finished or will it be stuck in "beta" forever?

Here, I translated it for an autist like you:

1: "What?"
2: "I'm not sure."
3: "NO!"
4: "Yes."
5: "YES!"
6: "No."

I enjoyed it more than 1 even on release.

Obsidiots are all about the roleplaying options (even if they're pointless) until it goes against their narrative, then they're fine with having all 5 options say the same thing

>I will find Eothas.
>I will find Eothas.
>Requirement Not Met (probably still about finding Eothas)
>I will find Eothas.
>I will find Eothas.

Wow. Look at all this real roleplaying unlike that epic fail Fallout 4 (but it's on par with Witcher 3). So why can't I roleplay someone who says faggot?

Attached: kdiJ01e.jpg (1920x1080, 199K)

You've already committed to going after him at that point and have a "go after Eothas or die" bomb in your chest.

>go after eothas or die
>akshually nothing you did mattered fuck off
10/10 plot

>Determine future of a nation
>"I don't care I wanted to punch God in the face"

Too bad maybe next game.

>plot involves earth shattering deity fuckery
>ignore it for island retard politics before shitting out the ending
if the future of the nation was the fucking point of the plot that would mean something

Nice deflection user

>You've already committed to going after him at that point

Then why offer pretend choices?

How you talk to people influences your reputations which changes how characters treat you and how much power you get from your faith if you're a Paladin/Cleric.

not as good as poe1 but the series is the only crpg still flying the flag for d&d style infinity engine games.

poe1 was better plus the DLC was amazing, didn't care much for the poe2 DLC....

Both PoE games are a horrible pile of overbalanced shit with all the fun sucked out of it
Thankfully there's Pathfinder now so there's literally no reason to play PoE if you want to scratch that old CRPG itch.

Because roleplaying is more than just deciding what your character is doing.

>Overbalanced

Nah

Attached: allow me to demonstrate the skill of the shaolin.webm (960x540, 2.87M)

Why are you guys defending the Fallout 4 of CRPGs?

Attached: fallout 4 all same dialogue.jpg (1920x1080, 150K)

christ I can't even imagine the kind of boring, flavourless shit you would make if you were in charge of dialogue user

b-b-but the balance man! STOP HAVING FUN!!!!!

Because PoE offers you plenty of choices, silly

t. has never met the best written CRPG character ever, the kind of character I'd write

Attached: Fo2_Myron_Ending.png (640x480, 137K)

>only has 1 ending
>barely any dialogue
Really user? That's the kind of character you'd write?

>>barely any dialogue

He has the most dialogue in Fallout 2 lmao, what are you talking about?

I agree with you about the one ending - I think Myron could be redeemable, but FO2 wasn't party focused at all (despite having a ton of NPCs compared to FO1)

The real Divinity 1, DivDiv, is in the top 10 RPGs of all time, at least everything before the second map.
DivOS is meh decent, only really standing out because we've been bombarded with garbage for the last few years.

Attached: Divine_Divinity_Shopkeeper_Market2.jpg (1920x1080, 782K)

the turn based is just a little too broken, it fucks up all the time. I'm torn on whether it's better than rtwp

oh and kys divinity shitposter autist if you're still here

The ship combat and CYOA shit is so barebones it'd be better to have nothing because all it feels like is padding. Not to mention sailing to and from locations and walking around the islands to the actual destination are all just time wasters. PoE 1's map traversal is a lot cleaner and a lot more enjoyable for long stretches.

It's a case of them trying a concept in a vacuum and deciding it was fun for the hour they messed about with it, not realising it's a pace breaker for no benefit and filling the game with it.

*braps in your ear*

Attached: compressed-8tco.jpg (1920x1080, 184K)

the CYOA bits are great. they are a great part of the first game and I like that they expanded it. Big moments in the game are really enhanced when they use it, I remember really enjoying it at the end of white march part 2.

ship combat was pretty bad. but it fit with the theme of the game

Maybe make the sailing that you're forced to spend hours doing actually interesting and rewarding rather than slow and dull, only topped by the even slower even more tedious ship combat. The combat and actual maps are indeed better than PoE 1 but you threw them in a mire of shit and said "hey wade through that to play lmao"

NOOOO - WE DIDN'T PHONE IT IN, YOU PHONED IT IN!

Attached: sawyer pillars rpgcodex post.png (1536x745, 211K)

The CYOA bits were dull, it almost always boiled down to "skill check" "fail like a dumbass" "use item to ignore skill check" there was very little adventure in them for the bulk of their implementation.

I think it'd be fine if there was just a bit less need to be going back and forth accross the map for trivial bullshit. but yeah the ship battles are bad

is ship combat even a core aspect of the game? is there nothing stopping you just skipping it and avoiding the ship battles? I only fought named captains when I played for the bounties.

there was plenty of adventure in them, what the fuck are you talking about? and a lot of the island exploration is just that, CYOA. retarded complaint that doesn't hold up under examination.

why play this when Divinity Original Sin 2 and Pathfinder exists lmao

you will occasionally get attacked in some areas, but you can almost always just board the enemy ship before your ship gets sunk, so the combat will consist of pressing 1 about 20 times

people who care about an rpg's narrative

What was the most adventurous CYOA segment in the game?

>people who care about an rpg's narrative

Wow, your bigotry is showing.

Attached: 1527002745554.jpg (1920x1080, 300K)

because my guy has magic pistols

To be fair I kinda enjoyed turning her into a yandere.

It doesn't denote heterosexuality necessarily, either.
It would be like an ugly ham planet sneaking into your bed and you freaking out.
Calling them ugly and telling them to get out doesn't mean you bat for the team opposite of them. You would still be straight, but refused with this "woman" because she was ugly, not because she was female.

>people who care about an rpg's narrative

But apparently not the writing - let's look at the most infamous example: You KNOW what an old man looks like, but the game doesn't trust you despite giving him a fucking portrait.

Baldur's Gate prose
>At your side is Gorion, gray-haired even all those years ago.

If POE wrote Baldur's Gate
>Drops of what could only be sweat ran down Gorion's testicle-wrinkled crimson red face. His craggy features would have disgusted you if you hadn't known him for several years, going back to when your mother was dating new suitors.

See me even pretending to be as bad as Sawyer/Obsidian, I can't even come close to the badness in both Pillars games.

Attached: pLDTAIW.jpg (1920x1080, 228K)

F2 is weird in that regard. The most fleshed out characters don't get to be companions for no real reason.. Why I can take Lenny with me, but not Harold, I will never understand.

Portrait can't show him in motion.

beast of winter was pretty fantastic with its CYOA segment because you can either confront rymrgand but if you piss him off you end up fighting his avatar - then if you beat that he is amused and let's you go.

Neither can the text, it's all purple prose that amounts to very little of substance. In fact all the text conveys in terms of movement is that his skin becomes more taught when he smiles. Hardly a two paragraph statement.

Ok, I have 3 options, Yea Forums
>Baldur's Gate
>Pillars
>Divinity
My autism requires me to start with 1 for each.
I love old games, but I've never gotten far in BG1 because it's too confusing. The others I've never touched.

Which one should I play first?

is konstanten a fag? chanters, dwarves and pollaxes are based, so he'd better not be

Take a wild fucking guess, buddy.

There's nothing wrong with being gay user

>still no ydwin
burn in hell cucksidian

I thought so

yeah it's fine but gays aren't allowed on my ship

not every character has a unique portrait in deadfire and some are reused across different npcs - so why wouldn't they describe what he looks like

such a pedestrian complaint. prose isn't just there to tell you what he looks like unless you have a high school understanding of writing, it's there to convey mood and the things you Can't see about the character. and nitpick complaints like this are why people are embarrassed by your posts

For the longest time I thought Ydwin was the little goblin girl in the pirate town who gets drunk and helps you throw a party and understood why people wanted the shortstack. Then I found out she's the boring as fuck librarian girl you wouldn't even know was a party member without the metagaming element of seeing that you can ask her to join. I'm baffled why people care about her.

I haven't played Divinity yet, but Pillars is relatively friendly towards easily confused casuals like you and me. Its mechanics and interface are a lot less complicated than let's say Wasteland or Tides of Numenara.

>turn-based combat is implemented
Wait, what?
Is it a good?

she a sidekick in the game. has a bit of dialogue and is vocal throughout beast of winter DLC but she isn't a main character the way the actual companions are

>and nitpick complaints like this are why people are embarrassed by your posts

And Tyranny/POE1 and 2 makes normal humans cringe in embarrassment

Attached: character tyranny lmao.jpg (642x730, 164K)

it's extremely buggy, and they don't seem to be fixing it

The Obsidian special then.

That's from anywhere in the game, source: I just finished this game last night

Kills-in-Shadow is actually pretty fun tbqh

*That's not from anywhere in the game

That's from the website - but this IS in POE2

Attached: compressed-77w8.jpg (2560x1440, 155K)

she was supposed to be they fucking sabotaged her in the figstarter then sabotaged her post launch for fucking rekke fucking obsidian shits see you in hell after outer worlds flops you fucking assholes

Last I played it was a bit fucked because characters could still push each other around, which might be fine in RTwP but, but absolute shit in turn-based mode. Action speed also becomes worthless because everyone only gets one turn per round, and higher speed only means they get to act sooner in that round.

>[Say nothing.]
kino

Almost every dialogue has at least one instance of "say nothing" as an option and many have more than one, "Stoic" is basically "autism" as a reputation because playing a Stoic character just means standing there awkwardly while people preach at you.

[Glare silently]

>shitpost option
Maybe I need to play this game after all

>you're instakilled if you choose it
BRAVO OBSIDIAN SUCK YOUR OC DONUT STEEL COCK OR DIE

>Make god of death mad
>De

Wooooow how was I supposed to know?

this isn't a fucking game it's a nu obsidian tranny power trip simulator

Attached: 1533224713805.png (645x729, 70K)

lol fuck off she/her

Since the returning companions from the first game were pretty much BTFO by the end of Deadfire I'm hoping the sidekicks return as full companions if there is a third game.

Gameplay is better than the first one, but main game badly needs a rewrite, especially romances. It sucks, I was looking forward to this game before it came out.

Attached: image.jpg (915x660, 254K)

I enjoyed PoE2 more than PoE1 before realizing the whole point of the game is going after Eothas... straight on. There was no mystery. I was waiting for the 'and then' moment after Ashen Maw but it never came. Most of the time, if you're a completionist autist like myself, you're basically a cuckboy for the mercantile guilds/pirates/Amaua kingdoms. PoE1 was better because there was more mystery to the main story, and also because I enjoyed the fuck out of the stronghold builder/endless paths. There was nothing like that in PoE2.

>going after eothas
>do fuck all and the game ends
shit rpg plot or shittiest rpg plot

Soulless garbage.

>plot is largely about souls

Attached: 1525529308462.png (177x227, 46K)

>"plot"

>

Remember when the Eder poster shitted up D:OS2 threads daily? Heh, fun times. I wonder if he killed himself yet

I enjoyed the game but I also skimmed through the dialogue

Attached: k111h7ox7rh21.jpg (960x960, 70K)

2meta4me