What made ARMS fail? Was it the lack of plot and backstory?

What made ARMS fail? Was it the lack of plot and backstory?

Attached: 1498220237581.jpg (745x1000, 213K)

It's cause Spring Man didnt make in Smash. That alone wouldve sold more copies

That and it was a launch title and fat people dont like motion control fighting. They can't into bobbing and weaving.

Wasn't there a hentai made about ARMS that bankrupted a studio?

too expensive for the lack of content you get. If ARMS is sat on a store shelf next to splatoon 2 and mk8d, people are not going to pick up ARMS. Add Smash into the mix now, too, and ARMS is never going to take off.

It's because it's a shitty gimmicky game with no real depth, made with the sole purpose of advertising a new console, that's why.

The motion controls didn't work.

This.

>ARMS fail

it sold over a million, what the fuck is your dumbass talking about?

No content and boring as fuck

What was the last fighting game to succeed from a brand new IP? We won't define success here by sales, since ARMS did quite well there, but by length of time it had an active community. Is it skull girls?

>Was it the lack of plot and backstory?
I don't think it helped. To a casual audience, fighters are sold on their rosters. The character design was solid, but they had no personality or backstories to invest in - filtering all info through little hand dude was a big mistake. I'm not saying it needed a full story mode, but even SFII had character-specific endings. At the very least, they should have had prologues/endings like in SF4. You can also communicate that personality through how characters move and feel to play, and while I know that they each had their little gimmicks and some unique animations, they mostly felt identical. I think that was also because the gameplay was fundamentally shallow and repetitive, and got boring easily - the little basketball/volleyball modes they added in didn't really add anything or help to change that. It was also marketed on motion controls, which isn't really popular right now (even if it was optional).

Still, I think it sold over 2 million, and people seemed to have liked the character designs at least. I think it was fun for a bit and that it can still be salvaged, but a sequel would really need to overhaul a lot of things if it's going to have any sort of big success.

the concept is fucking stupid. spring arms? LMAO

You're probably right that this was a major barrier for penetration into the fgc. Fightan fags pretty much only want retarded edgy shit

It's a new IP that sold over a million copies, possibly over two million. It definitely didn't "fail". There was apparently an active online userbase through all of the free updates, too. I didn't actually play it much myself, it really needed just a little more character interaction to keep me interested.

Attached: 1511379090015.png (891x1629, 1.94M)

Didn't get deeper lore.
Dr. Coyle related stuff (Helix, Hedlok, Springtron, etc...) was a good concept

Even now it's not completely dead. You can usually get a match within five to seven minutes, which sucks, but it's better than truly dead games

>It's cause Spring Man didnt make in Smash. That alone wouldve sold more copies
I'm still surprised that this didn't happen.

It was against Splatoon 2 as being the one online PVP game on switch people would sink their time into

Attached: 1531355736028.jpg (1023x759, 107K)

They've said ARMS just came around too late in the dev cycle. Maybe could still get a dlc spot for that reason, but I'm not a smashfag so whatever

>2 million sales
>fail

Smash Bros doesn't push sales like you think it does. Fire Emblem is proof of this.

Dead Space 3 failed because it didn't sell like 5 million copies or whatever fuckoff retarded bar EA set.

It can't Springman was given assist trophy status as an apology for not being able to get him on the roster, just like Rex was given a mii costume. As for Arm's life, it needed better controls, more single player content and some better marketing, making that game online reliant when splatoon 2 and smash bros and mario kart exist was a bit reaching for the stars and now they'll have pokemon on top of that this year

ARMS was made on a smaller budget than Dead Space 3.

I mean, given the average fighting game sales, I doubt the bar was that high

>Capcom Platinum Fighting Games

4. Street Fighter 2 — 6.3 million
11. Street Fighter 2 Turbo — 4.1 million
14. Street Fighter 4 — 3.4 million
18. Street Fighter 5 — 2.9 million
30. Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds — 2.2 million

38. Super Street Fighter 2 — 2.0 million
40. Super Street Fighter 4 — 1.9 million
43. Street Fighter X Tekken — 1.8 million
45. Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition — 1.65 million
56. Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes — 1.4 million

61. Ultra Street Fighter 4 — 1.3 million
65. Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite — 1.3 million
66. Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition — 1.3 million
71. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 — 1.2 million
80. Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition — 1.1 million
86. Street Fighter Alpha 3 — 1.0 million

Reminder that Lola is best girl and it's not even close.

Attached: 1d1a2bd30202832be6aa0d4603cbd3e8.png (1920x1920, 2.82M)

I really like the controls, I wouldn't want them to get a major overhaul. Frankly I've put more hours into arms than anything else on my switch besides botw. The main thing I would really like from it is an online tournament mode, so I could compete in brackets more easily

Reminder that ARMS is one of the best selling new IPs Nintendo has ever put out

Only shitposters say it failed

Attached: Spring Man chibi.png (715x713, 523K)

It didn't fail, that's a Nice start for a new franchise.
Fire Emblem became even more popular after Melee, what are you talking about?

I just can’t escape these ass threads
not that I’m complaining

Idk what u talking bout famm that back got A LOT of story of I know what I mean. DAMN

Attached: 1495428862010.jpg (480x542, 42K)

>What made ARMS fail?
no smash inclusion
not enough characters

Why do people pretend that ARMS failed?

>Fire Emblem became even more popular after Melee
The West only became aware of Fire Emblem after Melee. It didn't push sales for the series at all. In fact, Fire Emblem was close to getting shelved due to lack of sales.

There's no way that Smash would have pushed sales for ARMS in any meaningful way with a character inclusion. It's retarded to believe this.

But still it took a decade after Melee before nu-FE came along and really blew up in popularity

And yet ARMS outsold every FE game

They know what to do with Arms 2 : more characters, techniques maybe (like counters or parries), stages, gamemodes, and they're good to go.

>The West only became aware of Fire Emblem after Melee
Did that awareness not result in more sales? Being included in smash is free advertising, which always helps sales to some extent

That's unrelated to the argument. The point that user was trying to make was that ARMS failed since a character wasn't included in Smash. That argument is wrong because Smash doesn't push sales by using Fire Emblem as an example.

It should have been ASS instead

It sold well because there were no other games at the time. You had botw, arms and....???
Also nincels have zero problem paying 60 bucks for shovelware.

>Did that awareness not result in more sales?
Not at all. It's why Fire Emblem almost died multiple times after Melee.

Honk honk?

It sold well because people loved it. Even after Mario came it continued to sell an extra one million copies

Why are you implying that people can't play both games? They're two entirely different games and experiences. Surely you aren't so poor that you had to choose only one... right, user?

Snipperclips
Bomberman R
MK8
Disgaea 5
Puyo Puyo Tetris

All were out before arms. Some did better, some worse, but shitty games don't sell 2 milliion off a brand new IP. Especially when the majority of people who bought it had already tried it with the test punch and actively liked it enough to get the full game

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE COMIC?

Attached: springquestion.png (656x858, 1.08M)

Why does ARMS make you so angry, Yea Forums?

Because only boring ass Street Fighter clones are allowed to be successful fighting games

ARMS could've been so much more than just a mediocre fighting game, it has great character designs but all are wasted becauseeveryone feels like the same character, it should've been another thing

Yea more launch title shovelware and wii ports, great argument. Also you have yet to defend this
>Also nincels have zero problem paying 60 bucks for shovelware

>

Seethe more, kiddo. ARMS sold over 2 million copies. For a new IP and an arena fighter at that, those are phenomenal numbers and you can never change that.

I'm not trying to defend anyone, I don't really give a shit, I'm just pointing out that the argument that there was nothing else to buy is fallacious.

Just post more twintelle ass already please

Why would I seethe over sales numbers? I have no problem with Nintendo making a profit of of children and adults with the mentality of children. That’s their business plan. I don’t have to pretend ARMS was anything but garbage though. Why are you so defensive hmmmmm?

Why do people even say it failed when other IP's like Ever Oasis and Sushi Striker sold like shit and was quickly forgotten?

Sushi Striker was quicklly tossed right after the E3 2018 Smash presentation

Attached: sushi-striker-top-625x352.png (625x352, 386K)

l-linkara?

wow how is mvc that low?

I been fooled by the whens mahvel memes

Bomberman r is the only game you listed that isn’t a port. So ok you got me bomberman r was also a choice besides arms. Lmao that sure makes my argument fallacious.

Specifically because it didn't fail, so lots of people remember it, but it also wasnt a runaway Splatoon style success like people were hoping

The designs were weird, and unlike Splatoon they didn't appeal to pedophiles.

Why are you so obsessed over ports? We're talking about whether there were games to buy, and people often buy ports. MK8 was a port and sold way more than arms. Clearly there were options available and people still choose to buy arms. In fact they kept buying arms even later, after Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey had come out. So yes, your argument is fallacious

Also snipperclips? You have got to be kidding me.

this. I'm glad I didn't buy into that shallow looking shit

Fire emblem fates sold over 2.8 million copies.

this. Sushi Striker was an actual, honest-to-god, failure. ARMS (presumably) fell short of expectations, but still sold fairly well at roughly 2 mil sales and has a reasonably active userbase. The fact people still remember and discuss ARMS on Yea Forums is evidence in itself that it wasn't a complete failure, unlike Sushi Striker.

I don't even think ARMS fell short of expectations. It was above average in sales for a fighting game

This, they just need more crossover content. I'm still considering picking up the game.

It's not really worth it anymore unless you want it for local play. If Nintendo releases dlc or something and it reinvigorates the community, then I'd highly recommend it

Epitome of Gimmick: The Game.
The idea of it ever becoming an esport is laughable

I absolutely play fighting games of any kind locally more than anything.

This. You'd think that Ike's inclusion in the bestselling Smash game (at the time) would at least result in better sales for Radiant Dawn, but the game still made up a smaller percentage of Wii owner's libraries compared to Path of Radiance on the Gamecube- a console which was a failure for Nintendo.

t. nasty cock slut

>esport

Attached: 8B687CB010E74C3AA617C4B16C16374D.gif (400x225, 2.64M)

Then it might be worth it if they put it on sale again. It's extremely fun to pull out with friends and flail at each other

Can you imagine the people that would show up to an ARMS tourney? Imagine the smell.

It's both shallow and complicated at the same time. No fancy comboes and shit, just punches and jumping-dashing, but one must time all that. It's not entertaining.
I also hate hard target-lock: it's quite annoying to navigate the arena with it.

Attached: cook.jpg (560x315, 12K)

In what way did it fail? 2.1 million units is incredible for what was more or less a new fighting game IP.

Nah, the hamplanets all dropped it after they woke up the next day with sore arms

There was a promo pournament like two years ago. The director of the project fought the winner and shat all over him.
All participants were looking okay, though.

Not enought feet pics of girls

>I also hate hard target-lock: it's quite annoying to navigate the arena with it.
You're absolutely right on this. It doesn't matter most of the time, but fuck does it make fighting byte and barq a pain in the ass. It's literally more efficient to place the dog between you and the cop than to try switching targets

>Gameplay is rather meh and slow
>Sountrack is fucking garbage
>All the characters are very goofy
>Little depth or execution

Thats specifically what Nintendo said they were aiming for with it

>Why did [insert virtually any fighting game] fail?
It's like a game must maintain online populations equal to its sale count indefinitely for Yea Forums to consider it a success.