QTEs

Why does Yea Forums hate QTEs so much? They're just segment of pressing buttons on the right timing, it doesn't sound that bad

Attached: b0dq6pmunvebzdlk378b.png (1280x720, 1.31M)

Mashing for some extra combo points or shooting faster is ok, the half second qte that kills you if you fail is not

the only bad QTE's are the instadeath ones in bayo 1

This thread reminds me of the years spent when linear game design had gone too far in the 'straight line you cannot deviate from' direction, and 'linear' was a way to negatively describe a game. We were granted large open worlds with fuck-all in them.

good:
better you do, the faster it finishes, or you get a better reward/outcome

bad:
press x repeatedly to not die instantly
press x to pull up a door which opens only at one speed: slow

It's a boring uninspired solution to a problem that requires genuinely good gameplay

QTE's become a problem when they replace what should be actual gameplay.

>Defeat the boss, finish him off with a QTE
This is fine
>There is no boss, you approach the "boss" and a qte start
This is not fine.

Dragon's Lair used them because it was the only conceivable way to give the illusion of player input in what was essentially just a preanimated movie.

Now they're just hamfisted into everything without any rhyme or reason 95% of the time.

I like it when used sparingly during gameplay. However it should never be used in cutscenes.

I remember buying into the "linear bad" meme and now every fucking game makes you take 20 minutes to walk anywhere and puts collectibles every five steps. Take me back

Everyone in this place mistakes context sensitive actions for QTEs all the fucking time. Bayonetta happens to have both and they are both implemented terribly.

It's hard to defend QTEs, especially when it's mid cutscene instant death shit, but there's nothing wrong with context sensitive actions as long as they are not the end all be all of the gameplay.

Attached: I know Kung Fu.webm (900x506, 2.94M)

Not all QTE's are bad (Asura's Wrath) It's when the game uses them like 2-3 times throughout the entire game, and it's usually quite jarring to the rest of the gameplay

this. Everyone on Yea Forums seems to have their own personal definition for what a QTE is

or, you could just ignore the extraneous shit you don't like. more options are better than a hallway, retard

WESKER STOP PUNCHING NIGGERS

Why does it have to be one or the other with you people? Both open world and linear games can be good. Open world has more options sure but everything is way more repetitive

They interrupt the flow of gameplay and are generally not enjoyable. Bayonetta's cutscene QTEs are absolute bullshit the first playthrough and trivial on subsequent playthroughs.

Though your pic is more like a contextual button prompt than a QTE, you have full control of when you decide to do a torture attack and it's the same input every time.

>Why does it have to be one or the other with you people?
open world didn't detract from hallway design. you don't like that open world is mostly empty, but that was what hallways were. the difference is that you werent allowed to go in the empty places off the rail. it's not one or the other. it's the lack of the dev's efforts. open world just gives people room to look around and gives the devs an (often wasted) opportunity to expand the setting. linear is only better for curation, in which case you may as well just have a cut scene

Not him but it's not a coincidence that developers lurch back and forth between hyper-linearity and hyper-openness. It's because it takes talent to do something in-between. Being able to balance freedom and restriction is what game design is all about.

>It's because it takes talent to do something in-between.
nope. a hallway is a set piece where you go from point a to b with little to no deviance. games from the 80s and 90s have layouts more advanced than that. hallway design is chosen consciously by devs who don't give a shit about the setting

because Yea Forums is fucking autistic and can't understand nuance.
QTEs used badly can disrupt the flow of a game and just be really fucking stupid ( like the shadow of mordors final boss).
but when proper effort is put in to make them blend within the action, with good camera transitions and angles so they actually look cool they can enhance the whole feeling and dynamism of the game, and add some variety.
i think of it like grabs in fighting games, not everything has to be mashing the attack and dodge buttons, a little variety and cool finishers/scenes in the VIDEO game will only enhance the experience when used properly

Read You don't know what a QTE is