How a game with barely any single-player content and no online multiplayer managed to sell 10 million copies and become...

How a game with barely any single-player content and no online multiplayer managed to sell 10 million copies and become second highest selling game on Nintendo 64?

It's a fun game, but only if you have a friend or three with spare controllers who can play this together with you.

Attached: SQ_N64_MarioKart64.jpg (1000x1000, 337K)

t. lonely kid who everyone avoided at recess

N64 was for people with friends.

Some people actually had friends and played mp

Attached: kart_bowser_rape.webm (720x404, 551K)

Were people really that outgoing back in the 1990s?

If you wanted to play multiplayer it had to be in person so it was much bigger.

Yes. The fact that you were basically stuck with your immediate surroundings made everyone more willing to make do with the people in them instead of picking and choosing the communities they're a part of.

Back in the day, having good gameplay it was all that mattered.

How long can you play Mario Kart 64 in 1 player mode without getting tired of it?

dude we used to rent a room at the local library and set up an n64 to play mariokart/goldeneye/diddykong racing with basically anyone who showed up. I was 8 and used to do most of it myself. I hate to be this way, but yes walking outside used to not give children PTSD or measles.

Yyyyup. Good times...
Online kids will never experience that joy.

I always played it alone and I had fun. Kart Racers are fun. Same for Mario Party. Board games are fun. I got all the Classic 8 Mario Party games but i've never played them with anyone until netplay, and that's still something I can count with 1 hand. But I've played more classic board games with my Grandma.

Did you play Diddy Kong Racing? It's kart racer for N64 with an actual campaign

online multiplayer was hardly a thing back then you fucking zoomer

christ this makes me feel bad for you zoomers

>no online multiplayer
online period wasn't a thing then. And this was no impediment whatsoever. I was constantly over at friend's houses or vice versa and we'd play together. Admittedly having siblings was pretty useful also

I know that Nintendo 64 didn't support it, I am just surprised that so many played split-screen multiplayer back then

You got your friends from school over as much as you could so you could beat them all. Then they all gang up on you because you're better and you always finish last.

What other choice was there for multiplayer at the time?

>online period wasn't a thing then
XBAND, netlink

Online multiplayer was already a thing on PC, even MMORPG Ultima Online came out in the same year as Mario Kart 64

Yeah let met hang out with this bully in my class, and this fat kid no one likes. What a shit life, thank god I got a pad and PC, instant connect to people that like what I like without me having to smell them. 90s sucked.

Until I complete every tournament in every difficult and every course time trial. That was more than enough until friends dropped by for multiplayer.

I played it too, yeah
I was too shit as a kid to beat Wizpig 1 though

>online period wasn't a thing then
Nothing like it is now, but I was playing modem to modem C&C, and Warcraft 2 with my friends back then.

He's really hard, don't feel too bad. You can't even beat him unless you green flame turbo through every single boost for all 3 laps. Wizpig 2 is even worse.

I'm not even in my 30's yet stop making me feel so old you faggot

I played through DK racing again a few years back. I couldn't believe how fucking hard Wizpig's races were. I don't remember having any trouble clearing it when I was a kid though.

Was it lonely being an only child?

I never actually beat Wizpig 2 and haven't touched the game since I was a kid, but the DKR bosses always felt much harder than regular races. Never liked powersliding compared to Mario Kart or Crash Team Racing either.

It's only possible to beat Wizpig if you know that not pressing any buttons while you are boosting makes your kart go much faster and the game never tells you that, to add insult to the injury your second race against him is much easier

>It's a fun game, but only if you have three with spare controllers friends and who can play this together with you.
thats most people who play vidya

Or maybe actually go walk around downtown and find someone smoking a joint or something and offer to throw in and strike up a conversation, or go to the Arcade and find people playing the games you like, or go to the skate park, or the place where people play tabletop games...

Lol this

Mario Party is pretty fun alone, I agree

getting gold in 150cc for every cup was hard as shit. I mean it was pure artifical rubberbanding difficulty, I won't lie, but at least it was more fulfilling than doing the same in modern mario karts where it is easy as shit but a single blue shell will ruin your run

>no online multiplayer

It was fucking 1996, you moron.

Because N64 literally had no games.
Notice how the only ones epic nerds and nostalgiafags fall on to are SM64, OOT and smash.

>1996
>online MP on console

Sin and punishment

Get smoked

Even as a nintodler it was embarrassing reading video game mags and having barely three games reviewed per month.

>What a shit life, thank god I got a pad and PC
Should have gotten a tampon, you fucking VD

>being embarrassed at what other people are doing
LMAO what a fag

>S&P
The N64 game is reddit trash.
The Wii game is kino.

Who are you quoting?

Once you unlock mirror mode it's like an entirely new game

You said it, because it was fun. No dlc, no monetization of any type and shit talking was actually encouraged. Even single player was great, played it as a kid and it's still my favorite racing game ever.

Attached: HastyWealthyBighorn-small.gif (337x250, 777K)

I had bullies too, but even I managed to find some friends. It was never easier than when I was a kid to meet others and making lasting friendships.

Of course they were. People are outgoing today. It's just shitbirds like you who are fucking clueless till the end of time.

It was a blast with friends.
If you didn't have any, it was so easy any of your parents or siblings could play it (and most of them loved it). Pretty much part of the reason I keep buying nintendo consoles if so my old folks can still play mario kart.
I don't know, I don't like using fun as a buzzword, but I acn't find any other reason for its success.

soul

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 20K)

Mario kart 8 is better than team sonic racing because I like pink gold peach and baby Rosalina and I hate big the cat and omochao.

Shit was hilarious and chaotic as fuck

Attached: G0ivSTp.gif (360x270, 652K)

>deflects to pretending he read magazines like its relevant

Wew

that's how people used to game, zoomer.

Because Mario's name sells everything
Diddy Kong racing was not only fun in SP but even more fun in MP than 64 yet it sold less

Attached: event-poster-9206015.jpg (800x400, 108K)

if you never ended up having a fist fight with your friend over mario party two, you missed out.

>Bowser
>ram into Toad so hard he falls of the map
>five seconds later he's blasting across the map at mach 13 and overtakes me on a flat piece of road
Is praising this game some kind of post ironic shitposting?
The game was awful, and got BTFO by CTR like it was nothing.

Let's be honest, games libraries didn't matter for kids considering our resources were limited. It wasn't until adulthood (and even if we're still into the vidya meme) that we discovered consoles had more than 10 games.
Fortunately, I did most of my shopping in the flea markey back when people didn't go full jew on the prices. Got a good amount of SNES, N64, Game Boy, Neo Geo, PS and Dreamcast titles real cheap and in big packages.

Yiff in hell

i tried playing the game now and i barely reached top 3 on 100cc cup. how the fuck did 9 year old me 100% the game?

Wasn't that JP only until the Wii's virtual console?

Eat shit Mariokart fag
MK64 would be the worst mascot car game of gen 5 if Sonic R didnt exist

>just now considered that zoomers don't go to each other's houses to play videogames anymore because all of the popular games have no splitscreen

Attached: 1492697655316.jpg (1021x1027, 128K)

I honestly think it's the easiest Mario Kart to beat if you know the courses. Other racers don't attack you, so maintaining the lead is really easy, not to mention around 2/3 of the tracks have game breaking shortcuts. Only problem is if you drive really bad and for some reason let the first place cheat its way to supersonic speed with zero chance of catching up.

this

I remember trying to go back to mk64 after dkr and couldn't help but think how barebones and boring it was. The only thing drc was missing was more battle maps

>he didn't play that south park game
>or that lego game
>or that arthur game

Diddy Kong has very impressive sales too, nearly 5 millions which makes it 8th best-selling game on N64

>chocobo racing

Imagine Diddy Kong Racing, but with Mario Kart 64 items, would be so good

I would argue the track design in MK64 was superior. I still think more sports games, not just racing games should follow the DKR formula. It's part of the reason why I loved the Tony Hawk Underground series.