ITT Bad Game Design

ITT Bad Game Design

Attached: pits.png (509x433, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1iwAbEXgpic
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Git gud lmao

>Wtf why is a secret area hard to find?!?
The absoulte state of zoomers lmafo.

Not bad if you can slide down walls and there's some sort of indicator for pits.

Attached: consider.gif (500x255, 216K)

In a good game you usually have a subtle way to tell the pits apart

Just use save states or gamefaqs

There are games where it's done well. One of the Shantae games has something like this. But also every death pit is marked with transparent skulls that slowly rise up like a vapor. You just get used to seeing them. But one pit doesn't have them and it's not immediately obvious. But once you notice it, you realize it's safe to go in and find the secret area.

>class has a strictly worse version of an ability possessed by another class

Attached: cooldown reduction.png (580x667, 33K)

>babbys first time playing megaman

I want to slide down Shantaé’s pit.

OP fucking sucks at video games lmao

Attached: 1527783633315.gif (245x183, 764K)

>fighting boss
>it's at 10% hp
>suddenly starts charging up a new attack
>it's a grab that you can't block
>also an instant kill

Any kind of refilling hp bar after you kill them once is also bullshit

>Ranged does the the same or more damage while also being significantly safer and more consistent

What do you mean, user?

The closest path to the right will always lead you to the objective, while left will be an optional path.

Level design is influeced by pyschology.

>Secrets have no tells and the only way to find them is to mash interact on every wall or use limited resources and hope you get lucky

>woooowww how was i supposed to know that there was a SECRET area over there

the amount of games that do this is fucking retarded
either make melee have more damage, make melee have more utility, or make melee have more defenses, it isn't that fucking hard

even if the balancing itself is alright, they'll still fuck it up by making enemies have one shot attacks that are significantly easier to avoid when ranged. there needs to be more fights designed around on dicking on ranged characters

I want to explore her secret area and plunder her treasure

Yeah, cause this one specific made up example is indicative of all secret areas in every game
I'm glade you're enjoying your psych 101 class, but dont think that means you know everything.

For all the things it gets wrong, ffxiv gets this right. Ranged dps is either average damage with a lot of utility, or strong dps that is heavily penalized by movement.

>or make melee have more defenses
that's what 99.99% of games do though

Either you have to spend your level up attribute points on stuff that doesn't contribute towards the character's health or their ability to wear strong armor, or it lacks certain "safeguards" that other classes have, for example an emergency teleport or self-healing/shielding skills

Maybe in apperance, but rarely in practice. In wow, for example, many of the melee has higher armor, but in reality its a difference of 10% less damage taken, and when a boss kills non tanks in 3 hits regardless it doesnt really matter. Plus, range has the defense of being at range.

*undetected*
>1shot headshot kills
*detected*
>3shot headshot kills

Rayman 1 in a nutshell

Attached: one wish.png (1384x497, 276K)

Oh we're talking about MMORPGs?
WoW has been casual trash since the day of its inception. That's what gave it the staying power and the popularity it has retained even until today, in comparison to other MMORPGs of the time, such as DAoC or Everquest.

The fact that ranged classes don't die is related to how much of a priority solo play was given to the game from the very beginning. No class was ever intended to be a glass cannon that's dependent on a group in a game where it's likely that you'll end up without a group for extended amounts of time.

I assumed we're talking about CRPGs where a ranger or wizard can easily be torn to pieces when any foe manage to catch up to them.

Leap of faith

good game design

Attached: Untitled.png (509x433, 10K)

>t. never played warrior in vanilla

>jackass lock casts DoT
>sunder armor is overwritten
>lose aggro
>wipe
>people are mad at you for being a shit tank
if you expect me to have endured this travesty for more than 30 levels you're sorely mistaken

99% of the time there's some sort of telegraph that makes it fine.

Rayman Origins did this a lot for those little fucks in cages you had to save and it never fucked with me too hard.

This isn't good either because the "secret" is too obvious.

not very secret if coins lead you right there

Well the king of 'find the secret room' platform games, Donkey Kong Country 2, almost always points out secrets in some manner. Even the more cryptic ones have a hint from Cranky.

Any continuation?

fucking vorefags

Attached: cant jump btw.png (1152x648, 12K)

> Even the more cryptic ones have a hint from Cranky.
"want to find the secret in farty fair? Kill yourself."

>not getting invaded by your bro with an ultrasword to knock you up

Attached: 1401828100719.png (194x198, 79K)

Still can't believe Richter Belmont is canon to Shantae

wrong that's good design because you can see the bottom of the second pit, it's on screen, where the first one goes off into darkness so it's a blind jump. dark souls did this too, if you took the time to look off ledges a lot of the time you'd spot a place to land

The secrets are hidden so well in DKC2 that a fucking thesis was written on it, and it remains a standard to this day.

>In order to create this feeling, the game established and religiously followed a few unwritten rules. First, bananas (the common items littered everywhere on every level) are always helpful. If they spell out a letter or an arrow, it's always a genuine clue, never a trick. If a single banana is placed in some precarious, seemingly impossible to reach spot, it's always pointing to a secret. If a banana is over a pit, it always signifies that jumping in the pit will not kill you. In effect, the bananas themselves are a character—a sentience—trying to help you at all times. DKC1 did not follow this rule, and that resulted in much frustration and throwing of controllers. In that game, you had to mindlessly jump in every pit just in case one of them scrolled down to reveal a secret instead of killing you.

Wow was just an example, because balance in a single player rpg is less important. I could also site Divinity 2 as an example.

No the other pit

Every Megaman game.

fucking DS2

Fucking Secret room in dark souls with the sick spider witch, there was obviously something in the area but nothing saying where.

Given the choice, what do you do

Attached: ree.png (1121x899, 35K)

>Those levels in Mario Maker where you have to guess which pit leads to a pipe
Burn in hell, the lot of you who make those shitty levels.

Player messages

I love these.

Attached: Healthpill_1.png (185x172, 11K)

I fuck the death pit

I will explore her secret area.

sigh, quick save, fall into hole, reload, try next hole, repeat

Warrior

>Heavy strike
>Shield bash
>Shield charge
>Weapon throw
>Passive: Rage, deal more damage and attack faster the lower your HP is

Mage:
>Fireball
>Icicle
>Rock spire
>Chain lightning
>Passive: Arcane flow, deal more damage for every spell in quick succession

Rogue:
>Heartstrike
>Stealth
>Blink
>Caltrops
>Passive: Backstab, deal more damage from behind

Ranger:
>Poowershot
>Multishot
>Rain of arrows
>Bear trap
>Passive: Eagle eye, increase accuracy for every ally

Attached: 1354921663283s.jpg (121x125, 4K)

>quick save
Zoomers are cancer

you found a secret

Attached: re2e.png (1121x899, 41K)

PAUSE
give orders
UNPAUSE
wait 0.3 seconds for spells to start casting
PAUSE
repeat

come on now quicksaves are much more frequent in old games, most new games either have autosave or are so easy you don't need saves

Attached: 1413529-take_bridge_1.jpg (647x600, 90K)

Attached: 20160730174807_1 1.jpg (1920x1080, 598K)

This

Attached: le bad game designé.png (644x496, 13K)

if anything its a macrofag that wants to slide down her armpits

Wow. It's almost as if they don't balance classes around a single fucking ability in isolation!

snipers in multiplayer.jpg

every le time

maybe unrealistic but its good in the way of rewarding the player for being undetected, not necessarily bad game design

hate it when this shit happens

Attached: Untitled.png (1426x1120, 33K)

*spawns another pill 5 feet forward*

>increase difficulty
>your weapons are now made of foam
How hard is it to just give me more to shoot reee

>close range magic isn't casting fist

if you can wall slide in this game then there is no problem. just jump back up if there's nothing down there

>people unironically defend this game

>"HAI YOU GUIZE!!!!11one WHY ARE SECRET AREAS SECRET!!!111one"

This is your brain on air.

>Gameplay mechanics and a richly detailed world make you WANT to explore
>All exploration rewards you with are useless consumables and crafting reagents

Nah, that's just a faker. The real Richter would wish something like
>I wish to revive Dracula so our fight can last for eternity!

>there was obviously something in the area but nothing saying where.
So check the environment, hit the walls. You've come up with illusory walls before, so you only have yourself to blame for not checking them.
It's not even that big a place.

>one spell, low cost, low CD.
>all spells, higher cost, longer CD.
gee i wonder why...

my memory's ass. which part was this in again?

re2?

They are sustains, which mains they are essentially passives. Sustains only go on cooldown if they get dispelled.

For once OP isn't wrong, but I'd say such secret areas are less bad and more lazy.
An actual secret should require interaction or experimenting with your tools not just leaps of faith.

>Maybe this pit isn't a pit
Isn't an experiment, it's guess work.

It's similar to, but not as bad as,
>Maybe the start of the stage ISN'T the limit
Wow you "hid" an item right behind me, very clever.

>Kaiju kamikaze spawns
>It nukes the world

regular secret:
>have to check some random place, and you aren't punished for exploring
bullshit secret:
>have to risk killing yourself just to check if something is there

>Slide down wall.
>If the screen stops scrolling, wall jump out.

what if the screen doesnt scroll even if there's a secret?

just look down, idiot
or what, you want the secret area to have a bottomless death pit too?

the lava level

Attached: gdcftjgtf.png (1397x683, 16K)

Borderlands 1 (a game which features PVP multiplayer) you could get lilith that skill that heals her from 1% to 100% during phasewalk and with normal loadouts ladegame, the cooldown of phasewalk could become NEGATIVE meaning it would refresh while the effect was still active. So it was literally impossible to kill a lilith online

are there any troll games that do this and put collectibles in places that are impossible to get without hacking the game?

Attached: 376545636335.jpg (510x436, 24K)

youtube.com/watch?v=1iwAbEXgpic

>gamefaqs
Get out

Attached: 1555598980627.jpg (640x480, 42K)

Healer:
Heal
Big dick heal
Heal everyone
Big dick heal everyonw
Revive
Big dick revive
Instakill that never works
Like one really tough offensive spell that ends up not being used often because it costs a lot of PP

Attached: 1521360851795.png (238x238, 3K)