Are JRPGs even games or just "press X for 30 hours to win" simulators?

Are JRPGs even games or just "press X for 30 hours to win" simulators?

Attached: Pokémon_box_art_-_Red_Version.png (300x301, 169K)

Name one game that isn't.
Hard Mode: No idle games.

Tell me, Yea Forums. Did YOU catch them all?

Dota fucking 2

What's the point when most Pokemon are shitmons?

Do you mean A?

Who is 2?

>Pressing Right click for 45 minutes to lose
WOOOWWW
Try again.

>press X for 30 hours to win
Every single game ever made is this.

Not when I was a kid, but a few years back I got them all. Had to use the glitch for mew and the other starters though.

Not the more quirky ones by Nintendo.

Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi are literally the only good JRPGs because they make combat a more engaging affair while swapping out the tiresome medieval fantasy/weeb shit with something more original. And they're all Mario games.

It's funny because it went from Miyamoto getting pitches from Square about Mario wielding a sword in a generic RPG to a game to answer the lack of N64 RPGs while also making it more accessible to newcomers and not making it mindnumbingly passe for the average otaku. Some people should just admit they play for the story, in which case reading a book or watching a film does the same thing. Grinding is not fun nor is it conducive to actual gameplay. Miyamoto and Yamauchi hated RPGs and Miyamoto in particular threw shade at it saying it gives you a sense of progression and growth, sure, but it's always the same outcome and most can easily bruteforce their way there, and to him it's about the lowest form of entertainment and betterment there is. People talk shit about Miyamoto now being senile and doing us dirty with Sticker Star, but back then he was the reason we even got those great JRPGs breaking the mold.

I did it in the VC version of R/B/Y last year. Today I'm starting G/S/C

I was going to complete my pokédex because my sisters and I had different versions and our own GBC but we lost our only cable link when we moved to another city. I'm still salty over it.

Not counting mew, starters, fossils, hitmons, trade evos, eevee evos, and red exclusives, I only have Magneton and Mewtwo left to go.

JRPGs where you never die even if you only select the attack option 75-90% fit this bill. Past that there a plenty that force you to plan and think about your choices, examples would be SMT and Person a games where choosing attacking weaknesses for extra turns allows the player to snowball fights to their extreme advantage, at risk of wasting the resources needed to cast those spells too early in the dungeon. Which furthermore gets balanced out by certain physical skills using HP, which costs far less to renew in the long run puts the player at greater risk during the enemies turn. with the rest of SMT's mechanics, party selection/buffing/recruiting, players who just hit X will pretty much get dunked

Is Mario even a game or just a "hold right and sometimes press A to win" simulator?

I did in 4th gen. Doing it again now with 6. I don't count finishing the pokedex in 7th because there's no national dex.

Attached: 20819134942f0acd5d6d70a1aa3e5d1942105751c3b9c8f5d6e376fe318d0193.jpg (1144x1410, 313K)

Mario involves timing especially with the hammer bros and bloopers

>Any game is about pressing buttons to win
Really makes you think

>Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi are literally the only good JRPGs
False.
If you don't like JRPGs that's fine, but don't pretend you know anything about the genre and what system it has. I bet you haven't even played Baten Kaitos.

no because my family was too poor to own a second gameboy and game so I never got the trade only mons.

They are games

Clickers with nice visuals