Tales of Berseria

Worth playing? I would like to play some jRPG and it's on sale atm.

Attached: 1acde753c7e25284b03426598b3763d2b1967eb6.jpg (616x353, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!EAtkVSTR!g76WnyiQb6RJC-s-D7YFBlPjzwGcchNJBFQLFEyiLes
youtube.com/watch?v=z8RdPaAkE7E#t=10s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's quite good.

It's absolute garbage. The gameplay and MC are garbage.
Play Tales of Vrsperis, The Last Remnant, or Resonance of Fate.

Attached: The Last Remnant.jpg (2560x1440, 806K)

>Vrsperis
Vesperia*

Vesperia is garbage too though

It's a masterpiece compared to Berseria.

Yes, it has the best main cast in a tales game, and honestly my favorite party in JRPG.

Attached: 1490037664360.png (984x754, 969K)

I played it a little bit a while back and really liked it
never finished it though and I should get around to doing that
My only problem was that despite playing four about 10 hours I never felt like I was doing combat correctly and the game had explain an entire cooking mechanic that I don't even know how to start doing

I liked what I played of Tales of Xillia but the Tales combat system doesn't click with me. Then again I'm used to SMT/Persona press turn combat.

Should I try Berseria?

I like everything except for the gameplay.
Yeah a game with horrible gameplay, but everything else is great.

I really feels more like a visual novel/anime, but with linear hallways and mindless button mashing combat.

The cast is what makes the game shine, you really do feel the emotions of the characters.

Attached: coffeehank.jpg (236x239, 12K)

The gameplay sucks and it's obvious the game lacked budget during its dev cycle. I think you're better off playing symphonia or vesperia on pc.

>symphonia on PC
I heard the port is awful, though. Is it worth playing? Like 5 bucks on sale right now.

I personally did not like it at all.

Symphonia and Vesperia are also on Steam and much better games if you're looking to get into Tales.

Why are Symphonia and Vesperia better?

It's locked at 30fps, but the rest of the problems have been fixed.

They're not

They have the old battle system, where you move on a line and your moves are directional inputs. Berseria has the new battle system where your moves are mapped to buttons and you are always free moving. To be honest, neither system is actually all that good, although the older system felt more technical.

I can live with that. Sounds like a good deal, then.
Though maybe I shouldn't buy games if I still have a backlog to go through.

lol

I feel like I would have loved this game if the battle system had just been a basic old style menu and turned based combat.

Best Tales game. Worth it.

Based and redpilled.

Game took me about 60 hours to beat.

You're "the bad guy" in this game, something like an Anti-hero

spoilers.
Game has a bittersweet ending, MC sacrifices herself for the world and has to live in a limbo of "what if" memories with her brother

Its pretty good. Definitively has some big flaws but I enjoyed my time with it.

Seething Vesperiakeks

Do you think we will ever see an JRPG without fucking anime artstyle and instead back to semi realistic like Final Fantasy?
I like me some anime here and there but god fucking shit I can't stand seeing all these cute girls with oversized weapons doing the dumb hit noises

Attached: 1419870930097.jpg (315x480, 20K)

Do you think you'll ever stop being such a little bitch?

Yeah OP, it's great

Also stop pushing the Vesperia meme, it's dead

Its great, dont listen to nostalgia faggots.

Do you think games will ever stop having microtransactions and season passes?

Ok characters and story but terrible gameplay. Play Legend of Heroes instead, but be aware that it is very slow paced and a big time investment since the overarching story and characters spans 9 games. If that's ok, then go for it. Just don't be a nigger and start with Cold Steel, the correct order is:
Trails in the Sky FC
Trails in the Sky SC
Trails in the Sky 3rd
Zero no Kiseki
Ao no Kiseki
Trails of Cold Steel 1-4

If you wanted a shorter, faster paced jRPG I would go with Grandia 2. The story is not as good, but the gameplay, combat specifically, is the best I've seen in a jRPG.

It's alright. Regularly on sale too so worth picking up.

It's pretty bad by Tales standards. In other words it's shit. It's worth a pirate if you like Tales games.

>nostalgia faggots
I played Vesperia only with the rerelease after Berseria and had a much better time with it. Shit even supports superior framerate and an unofficial HDR mod.

Attached: D5SN6RIUUAE5xwl.jpg (901x1200, 285K)

>Resonance of Fate
I have no fucking idea how to play that shit. refunded it like after an hour

For the record I didn't play any "Tales of" game before. I ask about Berseria because it's cheaper on psn sale than Vesperia.
My only platform is ps4 as I have a really shitty pc, so most of the games posted here are unplayable for me.

>Berseriafags still seething over Vesperia

Attached: D96.jpg (185x185, 7K)

If you like good characters, a decent story and fun but mindless action gameplay then yeah.

If you only care about fighting game combo bullshit then play Vesperia.

Attached: ToB-197.jpg (2560x1440, 891K)

Better than Vesperia, that's for sure. Still, there are better jrpgs out there, but it's good enough to do a playthrough thanks to the main cast that saves the subpar gameplay

People always call Berserias gameplay shit but it's literally only because you can cheese the game with Velvet. If you play it with any other character the game is a lot more challenging and fun.

It's the best "Tales of" game. The series as a whole only really shines in co-op though. Played alone they're just average JRPGs with beat-em-up style combat.

Not that user, but yeah the learning curve is kind of steep. But when you get it, its neat.

Tales combat stays like this in general but goes through several revisions with every game. Your MC in Xilia 2 gets three weapons he could switch with on the fly, you could do all kinds of crazy shit with it.

Berseia is more similar to a action RPG than the other titles, so make of that as you will.

Attached: ToB-002.jpg (2160x2160, 907K)

If you get it for cheap, you cant go wrong with berseria

I WANT VELVET TO CLEAN MY HOUSE AAAAAAAAAAAH

>My first Tales game was DotNW
How do I fix this mistake? Will I enjoy Berseria if I didn't really like the gameplay in that one?

If you have any kind of romance boner, don't play it. They could at least pair up Velvet with one of those chad guys, not the fucking shota.

Haha...

The gameplay fucking sucks.
Would be better if they went with the typical hack and slash route.
This game is still fucking sitting in my backlog with saves from 2017 ffs
Zesteria and this can eat my ass for that shit

THE BIRDS VELVET

>should I buy the version riddled with denuvo. its on sale!
yikes

Sell me on the TLR. It's on sale for like $10 but I'm a cheapskate. Still good in 2019?

This and the fact that the game looks ugly as hell are reason enough to stay the fuck away from it.

>people actually genuinely believe Berseria is better than Vesperia even thought there's a massive gap in quality
Fuck off. The combat is complete and utter garbage, and anybody that says it's better than Vesperia's doesn't know how to manual cancel and cried once they found out they had to unlock skills to do cool shit and couldn't do infinite combos right away. You are absolute scum if you really enjoy RNG stun bullshit for combos and Velvet over Yuri.
>n-nostalgiafag

Attached: 1556772651265.jpg (1300x866, 87K)

Though*

>mfw older tales game PC never ever
>stuck with my ps2/ps3 copies
REE

You know emulators exist, right?

>Sell me on the TLR
It's a SaGa game, but this time it's about massive army battles.
>Still good in 2019?
Of course, as long as you can get behind the series' idiosyncracies.

Attached: Midare Setsugekka.webm (700x392, 2.65M)

Plot was mildly interesting but it was so fucking boring to actually play

Plot was mildly interesting but it was so fucking boring to actually play. Gameplay wish it's easily one of the worst Tales.

samefag

Not fucking shit retard.

have sex

I notice that there is also Zestiria is it better, worse?

Yes, playing it co-op right now and it's a good time. The characters and character interactions make the game.

I played those 2 ten years ago and even though I enjoyed them back then they probably aren't better. There's a lot of tribalism going on in the fanbase especially between Berseria and Vesperia. They are a bit different from each other though so if you don't like Bers you can try Ves and might like it. If you don't like either of them the series just isn't for you.

The combat is never hard, it's quite easy to break, but it's immensely satisfying, and the entire thing with story and characters makes even Zestiria worth it.

It's like the third worst Tales title. Velvet is a shit protagonist whose whole schtick is that she leaves behind her emotional nature from the start of the game, but surprise surprise, she's still a little selfless emotional bitch with a martyr complex. And you're supposed to "care" about her live and her fucking village while you spend an hour killing boars? Fuck off. Rest of the cast is okay, gameplay is button-mashing shit, but people think it is technical because you can target enemy weaknesses.
If your platform is PS4 OP, and you say that Vesperia is not on sale, buy fucking Gravity Rush 1 or 2, they are much, much better games.
Try out vanilla Symphonia or Abyss. Emulate them. I think Graces is a shitty game because it introduced the brain-dead combat that is used in Zestiria and Berseria, but maybe that's more your speed. Try out a Jap-only title like Tales or Rebirth, which is supposedly getting a fan translation, or Destiny PS2. If none of those strike your fancy, then the series is not for you. And honestly, you aren't missing out on much.

Zestiria is more enjoyable as a game it has far better music, ie one of the things that matters the most in a jrpg

The cast is fantastic, but the gameplay really drags it down.

>tales of vesperia
>tales of symphonia

Play a good tales of game you bunch of cocknobblers!

Attached: sony-playstation-tales-of-destiny-2-us.jpg (300x300, 42K)

It's the only game in the series in which I enjoyed the story. Some moments are pure kino, you'll know when you get there.
Graces f is still my favourite overall but that's just me.

I want to know about this as well.

My biggest concern is male protagonist. I fucking HATE shota trash more than anything, and if the whole game is centered around all the girls wanting to harem that little shit I would gladly pass right there. My intention with him is to kill him off and run a party with the only the female characters and if there aren't enough for a full party, any chad males can occupy the remaining slots.

Also is there any quality /u/ relationships like vesperia had estelee/rita?

The game REALLY pushes Velvet and Laphicet as some sort of incestous /ss/. The other girls get some teasing fanservice shit for gags.
No yuri.
Forgot this gem. This is the quintessential Tales game, and it has aged much better than Symphonia.

It's barely better than Zestiria, which itself was a disaster. Wouldn't recommend unless you think two or three decent characters alone will carry you through a whole game.

Berseria was amazing and zestiria was garbage, most people agree so keep seething like the incel you are.

Shota is the best character. He really sells the second half. Wins the Velvetbowl but she immediately gets stuck in purgatory for thouaands of years right afterward

Not him, but both games are fucking shit.
>people validate muh opinion
Pathetic.
Also
>incel
Ironic, considering that most Berseriafags are incel waifufag beta cucks afraid of real women, who delude themselves into thinking Velvet loves fat manchildren like them.

>Ironic, considering that most Berseriafags are incel waifufag beta cucks afraid of real women
Lots of assumptions here and I see no source to back this up, do you have actual numbers?

Imagine being this much of a faggot.

Hell no. ToE's battle system is clunk as fuck.

Why is he so based, bros?

Attached: eizen.jpg (1920x1080, 149K)

Don't. Grind.

Based autistic pirate ghost.

Because i fap to her little sister.

Attached: 1554700984609.jpg (1200x1600, 737K)

Mentally ill degenerate

what's better, tales or beresia or shining resonance?

I hate the inventory and UIs sysyem in Berseria. Looks clustered as fuck compared to older titles.

FLEDSPAR
FLEDSPAR
FLEDSPAR
FLEDSPAR
AMPHEBOLE
AMPHEBOLE
AMPHEBOLE
AMPHEBOLE
AMPHEBOLE

Fuck that shit. I cant withstood playing ToB thanks to likeable characters, but man. I cant play the post game since im tired of dismantling equipment.

Attached: 1485756256980.png (303x508, 129K)

>Graces
>Braindead combat
Imma have to stop you right there. Combat felt loke a mixture of the old formula with the A/B artes thrown on for fun.
Also the titles actually did something.

Berseriafag here, I can only agree.

Sure, just back up that Berseria was amazing and that that fag is an incel first.

do the other girls bully her at all?

Good. but normies can't understand how to play the game at max difficulty for the true experience.

Attached: 1556824791355.gif (480x328, 1.35M)

based retard

Good
Good skits, best party members in any game the combat is a set up from zestiria but that's not an achievement
Bad
Shit story typical save the world for the big bad you are just made to feel you are the evil at the first 25% then you discover the good was the bad all along. Bad combat only better than zestiria
It's not a bad game, but the game focuses on the story more than anything and if it's bad then the game fails what it tried to accomplish but still worth it for Eizen and Rokuro and of course for Magilou too

Unironically this, you cant get away with mashing random shit on the hardest difficulty.

Of course, but she's also a huge shitter and bullies everyone back.

Attached: 1490821493912.jpg (3840x2160, 332K)

I really enjoyed the party members you collect in Berseria, they have some fun interactions together and none of them felt annoying or out of place to me. That said the combat felt pretty average and I wasn't a fan of how the story developed. It starts you off on an 'evil' path and has you align with characters who probably should be morally questionable such as half-demons, pirates and unscrupulous magicians but the story sort of falls flat after the first few hours and it becomes obvious that the actions you and your party are taking aren't really evil at all and that while you might be societal outcasts, you're all fairly just people. Worth a purchase on sale I'd say.

yep.

Tales games either have really organic character or very stiff and unbelieveable3 character, Bersaria is sold, but the worstcharacters were in Zestria.

Don't play if you don't like sad games. This game's story just goes on a downward spiral (in terms of emotions) the whole way through. I nearly cried at the end (no onions here).

>no onions here
>i almost cried with dumb anime shit
Ask me how I know you're an autistic faggot.

That little segment of the game with Velvet going apeshit after finding the truth was the best part of the game.

It was good but Phi telling her to shut the fuck up, bringing back her smile and punching out God right after that section was even better

Yes. But play Zestiria first.

Attached: __magilou_tales_of_series_and_tales_of_berseria_drawn_by_tusia__6d6953475df44f14a0949d8fdefd83c6.png (684x889, 545K)

Why is Vesperia good then?

The entire thread you Vesperiafags haven't explained why

Nah. It's when Velvet switches body with Phi and molests herself with phi's dick.

>The game REALLY pushes Velvet and Laphicet as some sort of incestous /ss/

So I should buy it? The [/spoiler]english[/spoiler] voice acting for the protagonist seemed terrible iirc.

literally the worst Tales game.

It isn't. Vesperiafags are like Symphoniafags, it was Xboxfags babyfirst jRPG. It happened to be a decent game, but it's way overrated.

I thought the voice acting was fine, but you can choose between english and jp voices anyways.

I've played pretty much every game in the series and honestly if you aren't in invested in the actual series itself I would honestly pass. However, If you have nothing to play and the game is decently priced you might get some enjoyment out of the characters and the groups dynamic. It's probably the only thing that saves the game. If possible and if you haven't already, try playing one of the older titles. Hell, with the recent release of Vesperia, that would be the better choice. I would also go with Symphonia. It's aged quite a bit though it still has a solid combat system, likeable characters and some of the best boss fights to date; Sword Dancer being one of my all time favourites.

Attached: cq1.jpg (4128x2322, 3.16M)

More like "Tales of Censoria"

I’m about halfway through them game and I’m getting bored of the samey gameplay. At the Temple place in the tropical area. The characters and interactions are great though. Is the combat really that much better in Vesperia or is this nostalgiafags at it again? Note that I like my ARPGs with fast, snappy combat with jumps, dodges, parries and combos, not this half-ass action combat.

Vesperia starts out kind of slow until you start learning some skills and perfect the manual cancel. The only character that really describes what you are looking for is Judith and she doesn't join your party for quite some time. Still, I would definitely choose Vesperia over Berseria's combat any day.

Attached: postcardplayingcards.jpg (2448x3264, 1.24M)

No, none of the tales game feel snappy. If anything Berseria is snappier. That said Vesperia is way more technical and it does genuinely have a better battle system.

Play it in Japanese. The nip vas are way better

I forgot to mention, the closest thing you'll find to what you described would probably be Xillia or Graces F. Those feel like the most technical games when it comes to 3D combat.

Attached: newvisualbook.jpg (3264x2448, 2.06M)

Dear god, how can one person possibly have such shit taste in gaming?

Attached: 1434332593261.gif (480x320, 211K)

>Temple place in the tropical area
I think I'm at the same spot, that's about 1/3 of the way into the game?

No, Vesperia's combat isn't better. The long answer is that it starts off a lot worse and "eventually" becomes better than what I see Berseria has, but that requires you to pretty much finish the game first so that you get all of the skills and arte usage bonuses, and then for some reason decide to play the game all over again so you can benefit from it.

>fast, snappy combat with jumps, dodges, parries and combos
For Vesperia, combos yes after said "eventually" finally arrives. Fast no. Dodges/parries no.

The decision to replace directional inputs with 4 artes in 4 different chains actually give you LESS attack options at any given moment than other Tales games with similar combat system. Including Zestiria. Even with the arte ball you get like 5000 hours into the game. I really don't know they were thinking, this decision adds nothing.

Attached: D3wO0lMUcAA1llN.jpg (850x570, 54K)

>That said Vesperia is way more technical and it does genuinely have a better battle system.

It's also way easier to break and turn every encounter into a joke.

as opposed to DEVOUR?

I really dislike the enemies in Zestiria and Berseria. That and how weapons work are the only big issues I had with the games.

>Note that I like my ARPGs with fast, snappy combat with jumps, dodges, parries and combos
Tales of Hearts R is probably the closest you'll get to that, Graces F and Destiny DC might be good for that too but Graces F has no jumps and Destiny DC is 2D and really, really broken.
Mind that Tales was never about dodging though, there's some games like again, Hearts R or Graces F where parries and dodging are more important than the average game, but Tales is at its core a half assed FG with exclusive focus on rushdown and combos.
If you can deal with that, good for you, if you're looking for something more orthodox, you're shit out of luck.
All of those games are easily better than Berseria though, TLR especially.

There's literally a move in Vesperia that makes you completely invincible to everything and has no cooldown, and an accessory that makes your artes cost 1TP.

Not that you need it, IM SO GONNA MAKE YOU-BLAHBLAHBLAH TIDAL WAVE BLAHBLAHBLAH TIDAL WAVE is usually enough for 99% of fights in the game.

Repede takes skill to use effectively even with Gale Dog, and Rita doesn't get Tidal Wave until level 52

I think that can be said for pretty much every Tales game though. You literally become a god at one point in the game or another, if you choose to go down that path that's really up to you. The Devils Arms for example, with a little bit of grinding, can make you an absolute destroyer.

I think that's why I enjoy Legendia's simplistic battle system. At the core it's a Tales game, yet the combat feels more like a 2D brawler than anything else and with beat 'em ups being one of my favourite genres it definitely clicked with me.

Attached: framedmisc.jpg (3264x2448, 612K)

I regretted buying it. The gameplay is fucking bad. The characters, execpt Velvet are good, but the overall story is uninteresting. Take that as you will.

Anyone else enjoy Eizen’s writing? Felt like he was never relegated to spouting one-liners like Velvet. Most of the time he’d have something insightful to comment with as a result of worldly experience.

He was the best character

Pretty fun. Comboing with the devour mechanic is great

I dressed him as a sassy waiter so all his dialogue came off as insicere. It was great.

you hit level 52 just nine hours in

You can't get the 1tp ring until literally the last dungeon in the game. And even then, bosses have tech so that won't stop them from fucking you up, especially on harder difficulties like Unknown.

You don't NEED the 1tp ring, you can spam it effectively with other accessories too

Play the game.
Legendia might have a solid core but its combat has other problems, namely
>Cross/Back dashing effectively neuters anything effortlessly
>Special racial modifiers were a great idea but feel gimmicky at best
>Still has the old spellcaster format making Wil, Norma, Grune and Shirley very frustrating and slow for solo purposes
>Compound Eres grind
>Senel's throws are too fucking powerful
>Moses' moveset feels too gimmicky for a game that doesn't have many enemies on screen
I still like it more than Symphonia, especially since it's not slow as molasses and the animations are actually REALLY well done even compared to Abyss, but it's pretty low on the gameplay list for its generation, especially when games like Destiny DC, Rebirth or even Destiny 2 are around.
It still has the best OST in the series and easily one of the best casts together with Destiny.

Attached: smug norma.webm (362x358, 24K)

>Play the game.

I've beaten it twice, when's it going to be your turn to beat it?

>plays with 10x EXP
>WOW WHY IS IT SO FUCKING EASY

It's like $12 now right? Yes, its definitely worth it at that price.

Don't forget the absolutely atrocious enemy variety and the fact that there are only a handful of real bosses in the game, everything else being reskinned regular enemies.

I still can't believe Vesperia PS3 got released in english. On PC and Switch as well.

Attached: 00.jpg (600x848, 376K)

For $12 sure go for it.

Half of the Final Fantasy series has anime art styles.

I'm enjoying Vesperia, but my god is Flynn fucking dunce.

I won't disagree about Legendia's shortcomings. It has some archaic designs when it comes to the battle system. Though with the Soul Calibur team working on the combat you can really tell they wanted it to feel like a 2D fighting game and it shows to a degree. The cast and OST will always be the best parts of the game personally I don't think those are up for debate.

I'm still waiting patiently, going to be 15 years in 2020 which still blows my mind, for a remaster or remake that fixes the issues the game has. The one thing that has always irritated me the most is the exclusion of coop.

I think it has decent enemy variety, at the very least, it has some pretty unique and new enemiess. I'm not sure what you qualify as 'real' boss fights, but it has more than you seem to remember.

Attached: newmemorycards.jpg (3264x2448, 2.29M)

I beat it around five times since it came out on the 360.
I don't think anybody who actually played Vesperia would even remotely pretend Gale Dog is anything but a funny gimmick or that the 1TP ring means much, let alone Tidal Wave spam, especially since all Tales of games outside of a rare select few have that kind of stuff.
Pretending Berseria's combat is better than Vesperia when it has barely one third of the mechanics and it still can't reach the standard set by Graces F for its model is also very, very embarassing, mind you, I don't like Vesperia all that much, I don't like the Symphonia team games much to begin with, but you're either very stupid or are deliberately shitposting, and I really think it's the latter.

All the costume dlc is now ultra cheap
pls stop me from getting it all

If you buy it on Steam you can pirate all the overpriced DLC shit
mega.nz/#!EAtkVSTR!g76WnyiQb6RJC-s-D7YFBlPjzwGcchNJBFQLFEyiLes

I'm a massive team symphonia fag and want to try the best of the alternative. What title do you reccomend?

How does this work?

I know that spamming Gale Dog isn't really very fun, but the fact is is that it makes you permanently invincible if you do it. Also did you really just insult tidal wave spam?

Read the readme.

Get the short hair and make tomboy cuties from all the girls.

Attached: take that.jpg (1198x936, 189K)

>I'm still waiting patiently, going to be 15 years in 2020 which still blows my mind, for a remaster or remake that fixes the issues the game has. The one thing that has always irritated me the most is the exclusion of coop.

Lanyard user here, I've been right there with you buddy.

Besides a Legendia remake, it'd also be nice to see more Tales games with 2D combat again in general.

Rebirthfag here, being the best 3D Tales game is some extremely special olympics shit

Can you get banned or have your game taken from you if you do this?

Not him, but the best Tales game for combat, aka the sole reason anyone with a brain should stomach these games, is Tales of Destiny DC. Emulate it and follow the game by looking at a translation document with your phone.

this stupidly made me laugh.
lanyardanon! how are you doing buddy? I can't remember the actual interview, but they said they would like to bring some older titles over to the west. i hope that means some 2D greatness like DC or Rebirth. regardless, in total agreement, 2D combat feels so right for Tales. unfortunately, unless it's a spin off or we get those older titles I'm not going to hold my breath.

Attached: newlanyardsss.jpg (2448x3264, 746K)

But user, it's the intra-party dialogue and skits that I like the most.

You are unironically retarded. How is anime kische the thing you enjoy? Then just watch anime.

>Destiny DC
unga bunga me likey air combos

Rebirth is the thinking man's battle system

I think Vesperia is the apex of Team Symphonia's standard, really.
There's not much that can compete since it incorporates pretty much all the mechanics they've developed until then and then some, the party design is also probably the tightest out of all their games given how al characters fill their specific niche very well and especially since it also adopts the modern caster standard set by Destiny DC, which makes Rita much better to play than people like Jade or Genis.

There's some people who prefer Fonon circles from Abyss compared to the Altered Arts mechanics from Vesperia, but I don't really see that personally, and Abyss is still far too stiff and far too slow to play these days, not as slow as Symphonia, but still not as pleasant to play as Vesperia.
Try out Abyss and see if you can get into it.
>t the fact is is that it makes you permanently invincible if you do it.
It doesn't, I don't even know why you're pushing this non argument when OL4 exists if you want to argue about muh invincibility, but again, by now it's clear you're just shitposting.
>Also did you really just insult tidal wave spam?
So you're pretending a spell you get at lvl 52 which also needs a very specific set of items and skills to actually work like you want and only really works for cheesing the arena with Rita at max levels is that offensive to you?
It's not even remotely one of the actually broken spells in the series like Demon's Lance Zero either, and pretending Berseria's any better than that when it has CORE gameplay problems outside of its shit moveset design is absurdly dishonest, only a raging Berseria faggot would believe this is a convincing argument.

Pretty sure most people do it for that

>It doesn't,
Except it does. It even makes you invincible to mystic artes. I don't think you have any credibility anymore.

Velvet's autistic screeching when you use DEVOUR on humans makes my dick hard.

Fonon circles are such a cool idea on paper but I hate how situational they are

Is there anything better than literally punching gods in the face for your waifu?

Attached: 1529000148692.jpg (885x1052, 732K)

アンヴィバレンツ!あああああ!!!!!!!!

Attached: 1534222018529.jpg (1500x1060, 1.75M)

Where do you buy it

Square enix store I think

I actually really like the fonon system. I still think it has a place, albeit reworked, in future Tales games.

Attached: tempest.jpg (3264x2448, 2.16M)

At this point I believe you just watched all those youtube meme videos and are desperately trying to pass those as an argument.

most people who play JRPGs are weebs so it will never change

You know for someone who beat the game 5 times you sure have trouble remembering how Gale Dog works. You remember that it makes ALL attacks pass through you, right? You remember that it's not that it makes you take 0 damage but you still get hit right?

Hearts R port when?
Xillia duology port when?
Graces F port when?

Even though most of the Tales games I've played by now are the ones with 3D combat, I've still preferred 2D. The first four Tales games I played were Eternia, Phantasia, Symphonia and Legendia, in that order, so aside from Symphonia I was exposed to the series with its 2D combat more than anything else. I was excepted for Legendia more than I was Abyss because while I liked Symphonia's gameplay just fine and had a lot of fun with it, I was looking forward to another 2D combat experience more than what looked like Symphonia 2.0 in terms of the combat, which Abyss did turn out to be.

I think Legendia had all of the right stuff in its foundations, it was just held back by the Soul Calibur team's inexperience with making a combat system specifically meant for an RPG, I always felt. A remake would do wonders to remedy that and other issues the game had.

Barring that, it'd be great to at least see DC and/or Rebirth, but even with Bamco being far more open about Tales these days--us getting the PS3 version of Vesperia at all still shocks me--but I'm not holding my breath either for the older, 2D Tales games.

Attached: tumblr_p8r2ozn8Zh1thrzt8o1_500.png (497x616, 161K)

I am one hour in and i like it. The English voice acting is great

I'm Playing Vesperia right now. I'm at Zaude. Is the game almost over? I'm bored with the story and characters. Gameplay is at least entertaining.

nope

2/3rds of the way I think. Gameplay will get better and story will get worse.

I know how Gale Dog works better than you do.
However, I'm not the one pretending Gale Dog breaks the game effortlessly like you're pretending, while also trying to convince others that Berseria of all game, is somehow better balanced than that.
Feel free to post your own Unknown videos of Repede abusing Gale Dog though, since you're so eager to prove how broken it is I trust you can actually show that, and not on some random ass battle at lvl 200, obviously.

Attached: dis nigga serious.png (373x448, 149K)

Symphonia was my first Tales game and while it's still one of my favourites a few reasons or another when I went back to play the older titles I realized how much I preferred the 2D combat system. Legendia filled that on top of personally having a solid cast with top notch quality control when it came to personalities and their interactions with one another. The character quests, while I'm aware is more of the same, really fleshed out each character as an individual and at the same time bonding the as a family. It's something I don't think I will ever forgot in a game.

I do agree the game needs a remaster to mold the combat, make it more fluid and add the necessities that should have been in from the get go.

I'm not sure where we are going after Berseria with it being one of my least favourites in the whole series I would like to think the only place is up from here.

Attached: eternia.jpg (3264x2448, 2.15M)

Eh, I guess I can finish it. It's not as bad as Zestiria.

>However, I'm not the one pretending Gale Dog breaks the game effortlessly like you're pretending,

Yeah, you have to....press the button. Oooh

I've been playing through Vespiria, do people actually think the combat in this game is good?
Maybe I'm missing something?

It seems like the combat boils down to you stunlocking the enemy before they can stunlock you.

There really isn't anything else quite like Legendia. The character quests were great, my main issue was the dungeons either being reused areas you went to before or some of the most bland dungeons in the game for the few that were new. But seeing each of the party's individual story arcs be focused on in such an intimate way was well worth it to me. Most RPGs in general don't focus much on party members beyond the main character and the main heroine of the game. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing--most Tales games do an alright job fleshing out other party members with you well enough, for example. But they're never explored as in-depth as they could be. Legendia's the only Tales game where a character like Will actually had several hours dedicated purely to him and his personal plotline with his daughter Harriet. that sort of thing, at best, would be regulated to a quick, optional and usually easily missed sidequest in any other Tales game, but here it was woven into the story itself. Doing that for every party member really helps make you feel that much more connected to them.

A lot of people cite Legendia's soundtrack as its strongest point. I agree but also disagree, because the characters are just as great. The game goes out of its way to make you feel comfortable with these people and care about them, even using the fact that it only has one central town to its advantage to make you feel connected to the NPCs there. Most Tales games tend to have great NPCs that react to the events happening in their games and even often have mini character arcs they go through if you bother talking to them at various points, but Legendia is the only one that went a step further to give every last one a name.

There actually isn't that much more of the game left when you beat Zaude. Arc III is much shorter than the previous ones. Most of the content in that final stretch of the game is sidequests, and if you don't care about doing those you only have a few more dungeons left and you're done.

The game is notorious in how slow it is to open up its combat to you.

A word of advice is to set your character to Manual instead of Semi-Auto. If you hold forward to Free Run after finishing any attack (normal attacks or artes) you'll cancel the recovery frames and be able to instantly act again. If you also block, you can cancel Yuri's wind-up he does with his sword and immediately go into a block, preventing what you're describing. It's called Manual Canceling and is pretty important. Yet, for whatever reason, the game doesn't bother telling you that you can do this until later on.

>The game REALLY pushes Velvet and Laphicet as some sort of incestous /ss/.
Sold!

I couldn't have said it better myself, user. There is something so damn charming about Legendia that it will never be topped for me. The game is going to go down in history as my favourite of all time. I really appreciate the chatter user. Hopefully see you in the next Tales thread. Until then.

Attached: newnagames.jpg (3264x2448, 2.19M)

Always a pleasure! I should take a picture of my own lanyard sometime.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely have to try that out.
Still, it seems like people are conflating "difficult to master" and "good" in regards to the game's combat.
Eh, maybe it'll improve as the game goes on, I just now killed the chainsaw dude.

They cute, but it's stil a tales game, so don't get your hopes too high.

Attached: 1490812940944.jpg (1239x1761, 357K)

Bieeeeen!?

Attached: Bienfu.png (500x500, 142K)

It's not really all that difficult, honestly. Manual Cancelling and learning one character who specializes in fighting in the air are the hardest parts to Vesperia's combat, and even then Manual Cancels are really easy once you get the hang of it.

What people cite as fun is when you get more artes and skills that let you combo artes into each other in different ways, and more skills specific to each character. For example, at the start of the game, you're limited to a three hit combo and a base arte as Yuri. Then when you learn Arcane artes, you can do 3 hit combo --> base arte --> arcane arte. Then you eventually can get access to altered artes and skills that let you combo into or out of altered artes into base and arcane artes, so you can do something like 3 hit combo --> base arte --> altered arte --> arcane arte, and further skills let you do more than one base arte at a time or do things in different orders like an arcane arte into an altered arte into a base arte, or two base artes in the same combo, stuff like that.

It's all actually pretty simple, it's just that the game takes forever to give you these basic tools. I love Vesperia, but I'll also be the first to say that the first playthrough can be a pain in the ass with how long it takes to get basic things that it either should have given you sooner or not withheld in the first place.

Once you can combo effectively in the air with Judith, or see how fucking broken Yuri is, you'll get why people praise the combat so much. You can do so fucking much with it, and the movement options that FS canceling provides are crazy.

Fair enough.
Honestly, I kind of like spreading out game features over a long time, it means you're learning something new with combat for most of the game.

Rebirth, Phantasia, Destiny, Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia shits on Berseria and Zestiria. They were big fucking mistakes made by Baba.

Judith best girl

So what's the cutoff point for sticking with the game to know whether or not I like it? I started last night and now I'm at Dyle (the lizardman convict from the sailor's guild) and the beginning before the timeskip was the only really compelling part so far. I feel like I'm missing something with the combat too, even on Hard it feels substantially more basic than any other Tales game I've played including the fucking SFC version of Phantasia. Would I know by now if it's worth sticking out until it gets better?

I'd say the best time to know if you are enjoying any tales of game is a little bit after you get every single party member. After that you know the general gist of everything and if you enjoy it or not.

The thing I mentioned about manual cancelling should have been explained at the start, too. The game starts you off with a tutorial fight against two enemies at the same time, and I've heard of some people who lost it because they didn't know they could cancel Yuri's slow recovery frames after any attack he does and kept getting hit the second they finished a combo. Had the game mentioned this at that point, it could have gone a long way, especially since this mechanic was right there from the start. Plus, with how long Vesperia is as a game, spreading out some of these basic things as long as it does means you're playing through a good chunk of game before it really starts to show you what you can do. Some people just quit before they get that far.

Then there's other little things. Vesperia locks being able to change who you're controlling in the middle of a battle behind an item you need to craft. And while it's not related to combat at all, the game also makes you craft a different item just to change who your on-screen character is when you're running around outside of battles. These were holdovers from the older Tales games, and as far as I recall Vesperia was the last Tales game to require you to do things like this just to be able to do basic features like that. While I don't like a lot of changes the later Tales games did in places, I certainly don't miss having to unlock the right to swap characters around freely.

The Tales series has always been weird and stingy about this shit. Like, didn't the Tales of Phantasia PS1 remake introduce a means to play totally manual instead of the 'hit-and-run' semi-auto, but it was only via a ring you had to find in a dungeon?

Bers is real easy unless you crank it to max difficulty and always do link encounters. Link encounters ramp up the stun rate and damage so high it actually becomes fun because you can start using break souls liberally; and you should because mobs are also going to easily stun you if not outright kill on hit.
I always thought people were nuts when they say Bers is shit and easy, then I encounter a boss and am forced to fight in non link modifiers and it's so dreadfully boring.

Phantasia and its ports are exactly where the trend for having to go out of your way to achieve basic things started, yeah. They slowly phased that out over time, but it took a lot longer than it probably should have.

Combo command on Cress. I'm surprised they didn't have a pretzel in there somewhere.

Oh yeah, definitely.
I had to restart the tutorial fight that taught you how to do limit breaks like 5 times because I kept getting stun locked.
Eventually I just ended up kiting both of the enemies with the one ranged attack you get.

The story was awful with like 3 good characters. The gameplay is an improvement to Zestiria but compared to the older games is braindead

is vesperia combat really the best this series has to offer? I just use the same string of combos on everything and cruise through the game. boss battles are me just comboing them until they overlimit then I run around til it's over and get back to staggering them to death.

I much prefer Graces combat. It's not flawless, but it's a lot smoother and more varied. Spellcasters actually have normal attacks that are actually useful. Playing on harder difficulties is actually worth it too.

It's not that Vesperia has the definitive best combat in the series--such a thing is all a matter of opinion anyway--so much as it is that a lot of the games that are generally regarded as having some of the best combat in the series were never released in the West, so to a lot of people you see in western forums, they'll cite Vesperia as the absolute best despite not having played things like Destiny DC.

No, but I do think it is the best in terms of stuff the west got. I don't really see how what you're describing would not apply to any other game in the series. You need to know how to manual cancel and get skills that let you combo artes into other artes (base arte into base arte, arcane into base, altered into arcane, etc) to really go crazy with the combat.
The degree of control you have over what you do is exactly why I love the game so much, as opposed to the ones that use Graces' bastardized version of the CC system, where you use the goddamn combo tree, mix in some really uninspired B-Artes, and then hold defense so your CC can recover. That gameplay style is really restrictive and defense-oriented, which I dislike.

Excuse you, Graces has plenty of offensive combo options.

youtube.com/watch?v=z8RdPaAkE7E#t=10s

I really like how hyper aggressive Hearts R's combat is, personally. Of the Tales games to release in the west, it's the one with my favorite combat.

>everyone shitting on the gameplay
Do i have to remind you that this still exist?

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 42K)

Other than fusions being broken and the game forcing you to use Sorey and Whatsherface, the combat was fine.

Great game and worth playing for sure, though overall I think Vesperia is a better game, but Berseria is still good and a fun game. I do love how Velvet plays pretty much like Guts

Does the 3DS version of Abyss have any significant extra content, or is emulating the PS2 version better?

>See all of these people shitting on combat
>Remember that Vesperia and Zestiria had the same combat but without being able to make your own line of moves to string together
>But my memory is shit and the last time I played Berseria was 2 years ago
wot do

Attached: Simo_hayha_second_lieutenant_1940.png (358x546, 114K)

No new content, also no multiplayer but thats a given

I always thought that the 3DS port of Abyss was odd. Is this the only port of a Tales game that had absolutely no new content? Even Vesperia: Definitive Edition at least bundled together all of the DLC costumes from the PS3 version and includes them in your inventory right off the bat.

Pretty good overall, virtually no reason not to buy it unless you are a westaboo

this shit is just moe Berserk

>That gameplay style is really restrictive and defense-oriented
I don't know about it being restrictive, especially compared to Vesperia which is actually very restrictive by design, like all Symphonia team games.
Graces F doesn't really lock mechanics into character specific gimmicks like Vesperia does, nor does it have an unbalance by design in terms of combo potential like Vesperia, as long as you know how to combo there's not a lot of difference between Asbel and someone like Pascal or Malik, you just need to understand what links and what doesn't, meanwhile in Vesperia Yuri has a massive amount of built in, specific combo tools nobody else gets.
Sure, I don't really like combo trees, nor I like how there's zero verticality and how most of your moveset is just straight lines or autotargeting dots outside of maybe Sophie, but I wouldn't say it's that bad, especially for a first try with that kind of paradigm, and to be fair, neither Zesty nor Berseria are even remotely as good at the same paradigm either.

As for being defensive oriented, I wouldn't say it is, the game pushes you to use your sidestep and perfect guard as offensive options, not defensive ones, holding defense for replenishing your CC counter is also only really relevant for solo play, which is fine, much better than Destiny DC where at some point you just get infinite CC and can spam whatever even solo.
Hearts R's combat is really good, but not because it's hyperaggressive, it's because it's very freeform and has outstanding moveset design, it's possibly the game with the best moveset design in the series together with Vesperia, Destiny DC and Rebirth, the high speed in combat and reworking on some of the customary Team Destiny mechanics also helps making it real good to play.
I just wish it got a decent budget though, they were really cheap on some aspects, and taking out fusion arts from the original game wasn't a good idea despite everything else being great.

The US version of Abyss for PS2 had extra content, so the JP 3DS version got that stuff added.

I can't remember exactly what all the extra content was but I think it was just pre-haircut Luke's cut-in animation for his mystic arte and a few costumes, so yeah rest of the world got fucked and just got to keep their voiceless skits.

I beat the game and I still don't know how combat works

I never figured out how to fight bosses either. Game slowed to a crawl whenever I had to fight one, since apparently you're not allowed to combo them

/ss/ is a patrician fetish

I gave Rokuro a fedora and horn rim glasses.
It suits him way too fucking well.

Attached: 1533992979351.jpg (750x960, 321K)

Playing Zestiria right now, probably near the end.
While the camera was definitely fucked I really don't get all the hate it otherwise gets. Amatization artes kinda being same-y was a letdown, yeah, but I enjoyed the fuck out of most bosses since they felt like they were actually a threat for the most part. Also I liked Graces F combat, which is kinda similar to Zestiria, so I may be biased.

I am playing it on and off and I feel the same way. I dealt with this the last time by looking up a guide on the optimal way to organize skills.

I'm a bit disappointed. There is tons of layers to the combat but it doesn't feel complex or satisfying at all. Otherwise I'm enjoying.

My favorite part was setting a town on fire just so they could escape in the confusion. They are 100% straight bad guy, not the gray zone kind of characters you see in other games.

Berseria basically copies Zesteria/Graces attempt at martial artes, but leaves you with some freeform shit.
Vesperia was basically getting your skills in order so that you could chain your artes one after another.

Graces has best combat, play it. Trust me I went to school for bullshit like this.

Bait

Yuri is voiced by Troy Baker though so hes automatically irredeemable
>just play japanese
But its the knowledge that he's voiced by Troy Baker that makes him bad.

>voiced by Kira Buckland

Attached: Puke.jpg (680x680, 85K)

T-that hand is an edit?

Attached: 1541978548653.jpg (434x393, 69K)

no. fuck tales, play Ys like a chad

Attached: adol christin.jpg (1920x1080, 364K)

I like how Berseria 34 is shit. Keeps me from fapping to them.

That's just how it is with people. Find literally the shittiest game in existence you can think of and some plebeian shiteater out there will love it

Already done.

Attached: flipsvillegrns3_3719.jpg (494x347, 68K)

Attached: 1556689884291.jpg (619x619, 38K)

t. the Baker