You may only post in this thread if you have never played a MOBA

You may only post in this thread if you have never played a MOBA.

Let's all bask in the thousands of hours we haven't wasted.

Attached: map_of_moba.png (300x300, 32K)

ok

why would you waste hours talking about something you have never even tried

What's a MOBA

I've played like, 2 games of dota. Can I still post here?

Based

Cringe

Attached: 1556955616863s.jpg (94x125, 2K)

I only played the W3 dota couple of times. Never really liked it.

i spent those thousands of hours in dark souls instead

wasnt worth it

Attached: 1556816967710.jpg (760x767, 28K)

can someone explain how MOBAs got the name ASSFAGGOTS?

a big time waster

>ASSFAGGOTS
Aeon of Strife Styled Fortress Assault Game Going On Two Sides

There was no name for them besides dota-like or lol-like before someone thought up moba. So, shitposting took over.

>Let's all bask in the thousands of hours we haven't wasted.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here

I don't even fully know what a moba is. I know you attack the other team's base and there are minions, but tons of games reference "moba elements" for seemingly unrelated features. I've never cared enough to look into them, same with battle royales.

amazing, thanks

smite is the only fun moba

VI SITTER HAR I VENTEN

I've played 6000 hours of dota. Most of that was a few years ago but it sure was a waste of time

It's HÄR, not HAR. HÄR means 'here'. HAR means 'have'.

did you ever feel like you were good at the game?

It actually feels good. MOBA seems like a specific perversion of something that could be great but is in practice awful, and in fact may prevent the great thing from being created due to MOBAs occupying its "slot" or niche in the roster of game types.

It's like the relationship between goblins and elves in Tolkein. Goblins are the twisted knock-off of something beautiful and glorious.

>t. Sven Svantslutsker

based

did you read the OP? you're not allowed to post in this thread. please delete your post

That's me
How is it going

I watched one match of LoL and couldn't grasp anything. Just sat, watching, confused, bored and most importantly disappointed. It's like one big MMO speedrun, but it's competitive, has PVP enabled, similar to a tower defense/RTS, and can be determined by how much micromanagement and multitasking you can do at once until you get steamrolled by some chucklefuck weilding a giant fuckall weapon killing you nigh instantaneously.

And you have to restart from the very beginning every single time. Who the fuck would keep playing after that?

why are they called jungles when they are very clearly forests/woods?

Kinda cringe friend. Theres no need to correct a native English speaker on how he missed 2 dots. You think next time user posts that he'll be sure to include them?

Are there any single player mobas? I'm aware that would have a lot of crossover with RTS, but the communities are always trash for mobas (the only exception being paragon while it was still alive). I enjoy the standard gameplay loop but the community drains any fun from playing.

really bad. I'm out of shape, unemployed, and of course single

The two dots makes it a completely different letter though. What's wrong with educating people?

Attached: 1471143480180.jpg (720x720, 50K)

Yeah but all the hours were spread over 4-5 years. Mobas change a lot and unless you really keep up with it, it's constant learning a relearning

It's nice that you're trying to help but it was just a meme comment by a native english speaker who doesn't have access to umlauts on their keyboard. Don't worry about it.

I played one match in LoL. I still don't get how "games that imitate a single mediocre Warcraft 3 map" is now considered a genre.

Well, I was just going to say, no matter how many hours you put into dota you'll always be trash. That's the feeling I get from it anyway

Dota is fun

Attached: 1338068841001.gif (320x240, 169K)

Yeah 5k hours in dota but then again i've stayed away from an*me

As someone who's never touched a moba, someone please explain how both overwatch and battlerite have moba elements? They're almost completely unrelated in terms of gameplay. Is it just because characters have abilities?

Sucks to be you and anyone who missed peak wc3 dota where most people played purely for fun. Not that they didn't try at all but showing off and having a good score was what most people cared about, tourneyfag autism about mmr and your team of retards winning at any cost ruined the genre, only the upper 0.001% get anything but stress out of it.

I've played 7k hours of Dota 2

Attached: Meepo Portrait.jpg (594x334, 110K)

They were very much so wasted, just not on those particular games

do you still play?

No

I'd argue that it's the lower mid % who get the least stress from playing, people who understand the basic rules but not enough of the specifics to care about minmaxing and perfect precision from their team. It obviously gets way more stressful when every micro mistake is glaringly obvious and you're playing for money.

Ok

Attached: .gif (607x609, 754K)

>wasted my entire life on MMOS, MOBAs and a shitload of other games
>don't regret it one bit
*dabs on norms*

>i played league of legends for five years straight
>the amount of things i could've learnt or done in that time is so large

mobas - not even once

Attached: file.png (231x250, 46K)

You'll be fine, my dude
To begin with, you didn't waste your time on mobas

Nóbódy cąreś whąt ąrbitrąry dótś ąńd dąśhęś yóu put ón łęttęrś tó mąkę thęm "cómpłętęły diffęręńt" in yóur irręłęvąńt ląńguągę thąt nóbódy śpęąkś.

>don't waste time playing assfaggots
>waste it replying in this thread
You always fucking lose

unpopular opinion warning
WC3 dota sucked balls and was the least fun version of the game due to an elitist playerbase, and unclear but at the same time essential game mechanics like the secret shop and itemization.

Dota 2 is an improvement in every way except that they replaced skeleton king

Not really about the exact amount, just the mentality of it. I doubt they whine or argue less in lower brackets, just for the wrong reasons. And even if pro play is more stressful at least they get paid for it. When I say upper 0.001% I don't mean all paid players though, I know C tier teams in dota 2 go through some hell and get paid next to nothing, I mean the very top that get hundreds of thousands off TI's and majors.

I bet you thought you sounded smart when you typed this

I bet you thought you sounded smart when you typed this

Think about how stressful it must be to be in one of those very top teams, though. To have tens of thousands riding on your team's performance in a game, and it being your full time job. If you don't win you don't get paid and bills become a serious issue. Even worse if the mistake is caused by you and you've now lost that money for the rest of your teammates (the people you spend 16 hours of your day training with daily). Imagine the atmosphere afterwards.

Sounds like a thread for me. Also, pretty much all of my friends who started playing them slowly became unfunny pains in the ass, I can barely recognize them anymore.

Insecurity is so delicious

Attached: 1549924335100.jpg (1528x1556, 990K)

forgetting the umlauts is not very metal, user

Never even touched them. I played thousands of hours of pic related though, and I have no regrets.

Attached: 1511142370258.jpg (3264x2196, 2.53M)

The only general elitism I can think of was related to hating and punishing people who leave games, playing badly could get you yelled at also sometimes but certainly less than when ranked matchmaking was introduced.

And you had to be an absolute brainlet not to learn about the secret shop after a game or few. Not sure what you mean by itemization, if you think every game needs optimal build orders researched and laid out for you I'd be surprised you're not too young to have played wc3 with that zoomer attitude. Imagine having to use your brain and not just autistic repetition in a pvp video game. Even then a bunch of people made guides on the forums.

They get salaries as well I'm pretty sure, and a lot of them get money off streams and other sponsorships. The dota 2 competitive elite is pretty deeply established at this point, you think Arteezy is starving for his TI performances? It's more about connections and team chemistry than personal skill most of the time and there isn't that much turnover in new players getting into that scene.

I lost two of my IRL vidyabros to MOBAshit. Every fucking LAN party, they would start playing DotA (then LoL) and leave the rest of us hanging. They were always angry and ill-tempered while playing, and they ALWAYS tried to drag the rest of us into their addiction.

MOBAfags need to be taken out back and shot like the sick animals they are.

Attached: 1556333698008.png (328x311, 12K)

How can people have fun with mobas? When you just start you are going to be overwhelmed by a hundred characters you can pick and a whole fucking metagame you have to study beforehand if you don't want to be ridiculed and die even more, where is the fucking fun?

ITT: mentally challenged retards rave about a genre they don't like

lol who hurt you?

>spoonfeeding
you're the problem

that doesn't make any sense

>tfw playing dota 2 custom games instead

Attached: breem.png (1194x1280, 249K)

lol which one are you?

Attached: mobaposters.jpg (995x902, 439K)

Thanks to matchmaking, MOBAs are the perfect skinner box.

Some guy on LoL's forums proved it mathematically then got banned for it and his post memoryholed. The gist of it was that you get a massive dopamine rush 1/10th of the time and are acutely angry or chronically dissatisfied the other 9/10ths of the time. So you train your brain to chase that one glorious victory like a fucking junkie.

Sunk cost fallacy makes sure that they'll never break out of the cycle unless Christ himself intervenes.

Get rekt mobashitter.

Attached: 1541780364595.jpg (1553x891, 115K)

Why don't you provide your reasoning for that claim

Does it count if I played the original DotA a couple times, and played League of Legends like once when it first came out, before the "MOBA" genre really existed?

Never really played a MOBA, except 30 minutes of Dota 2 tutorial. Click to walk is an absolute shit movement system. If there was a good WASD movement MOBA I would have played it probably. Smite was absolute wank.

I tried playing it for 2 minutes before giving up. My brother really like LOL and he wanted to play with me, but I could get over how shitty it controls.

I played 30 minutes of both league and dota 2
never touched that shit or any moba ever again

mad retard haha

Why did you play something so repetitive for so long and what made you stop?

Now if only I could take back the hundreds of hours on Minecraft, and thousands of gtav online

Maybe Only Bad Accidentally

if you're a fucking retard that is

I wish their was at least another "MOBA" like guilty gear 2 overture. It was too innovative and ambitious for its time.

Attached: Guilty Gear 2-overture-.jpg (1280x720, 488K)

why do assfaggoteers get so mad about people making fun of assfaggots?

i remember them ban listing you if you weren't good at the game so you could never join their games again.

why do Yea Forumsirgins get so mad about people playing games they don't like?

Thanks user, that's pretty interesting. I'm clueless about the specifics of the moba competitive scene, I was mainly basing it on other genres like fighting game sponsorships.

Anyone could host so there were always some spergs who had personal ban lists for more than people who left their games. If anything they do you a favor by not having to play them again. I didn't run into this much with dota since there was a shitload of hosts and little chance of running into same people often outside some leagues and closed communities, but smaller scene custom map hosts sometimes banned me for killing them. Could still easily get around it since wc3 let you have infinite accounts, plus maybe an IP reset if their bot was good enough. Pretty sure a lot of games used to specify newbie only too, those hosts would probably be more likely to ban smurfs than anyone else.

if you were to waste 1000s of hours in a game it might as well be a moba (not league of legends)

I'm the millennial memer. You caught me!

Did Gigantic count as a Moba?

>Smite is fun but managed by hi-rez
based but blue pilled
I've played on Roblox games that were managed better than that

Gigantic was kind of a middle ground.

if Gigantic counts, then fucking TF2 counts as a moba depending on the mode

I have played approximately 5 hours of DOTA2. Am I allowed in this thread? I still have no idea what I'm doing.

>oh man if I never touched video games I would be so smart and succesful by now!
do you people unironically think like this?

Same my gay ass MOBA friends told me to play the spider or w/e so I could just AFK and contribute.

The only MOBA I've ever tried is League and that was because a girl I knew nagged me to play with her. I played 2 matches and uninstalled it. Literally just anime cookie clicker shit.

Attached: 1543801637880.jpg (1089x721, 63K)

I only play hero brawlers and Action RTS games

Improved your map, OP.

Attached: assfaggots.png (300x300, 32K)

>like tower defense games
>MOBAs are boring bullshit
>Smite and Awesomenauts were fun and playable, but both completely flip the normal concept on its head and could still have their shitty games
>Favorite mode in multiplayer games is usually base defense or attack/defend style maps, or even castle seige/World vs World style pvp in mmos.
>Everyone that makes these type of games or modes always makes it as a shitty LoL or DoTA clone
Why the fuck are MOBAs so popular? They're only good when you change the base game into something else entirely.
It isn't even an RTS thing because shit like Age of Empires and Starcraft are at least fun on their own.

Attached: cat heavy metal.jpg (960x960, 46K)

in WC3 there were hundreds of custom games that played exactly the same as Dota, but they were called "AoSes" back then.
There were all kinds of weird ones too, like some had story missions and quests you could do, or some were 3v3v3v3, some of them let you control your team's buildings or upgrade what spawns from the barracks, etc. It's interesting that as moba's have gotten extremely popular they've gotten way less creative.

The more dumbed down that a game is, the more people that will play it user.

MOBAs killed the RTS genre because controlling only one character with no base building was much more casual friendly and after everyone saw how much money could be made catering to these one unit casuals nobody wanted to make regular RTSes anymore

I only played Dota at a LAN party with stupid modifiers like no spell cooldown or heroes that are randomly rolled at every respawn. I'd never ever play it or any other game like it online.

Man it feels so fucking good
I have friends who have dropped thousand of dollars on skins and characters

Attached: 1556914497492.jpg (560x414, 22K)

Everything can work

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 499K)

Salsa?

>Some guy on LoL's forums proved it mathematically
BASED
>then got banned for it and his post memoryholed.
and redpilled

I'm generally pretty decent at video games but I for some reason could never grasp how to do well at these shitfests. I see someone and I die. Even if I kill someone it's not satisfying. Why do people play these?

man I would fucking kill for something that was at least a hybrid. Give me a game like Natural Selection and let those brainlet faggots be heroes while I manage everything else. Most MOBAs devolve into one guy making shotcalls anyways from what I've seen.

Attached: birb dog.jpg (750x707, 84K)

"MOBA" is a completely fucking useless term. Every game with PVP is a fucking "Multiplayer Online Battle Arena". In between LoL getting popular and MOBAs just being a variety of WC3 custom games, everyone either referred to them as ASSFAGGOTS or DotAlikes. Then Tencent bought Riot and Riot actually had enough money to do anything (which, as we all know, removed the SOUL by putting out content with triple digit polycounts and textures that weren't 500x500 .jpgs) and the first thing they did was startup a massive media campaign to promote LoL as the premire "MOBA" (a useless term created entirely to get rid of the prior two terms) and that DotA was just a variant of LoL. It worked, and the majority of people who play LoL don't realize that LoL didn't come first (because they're Chinese and Tencent is the Chinese Government's state-run official digital media monopoly).

Yes?

time wasted on mobas > time wasted on Yea Forums

>SOUL
don't you dare take the name of SOUL in vain!

Attached: soraka SOUL.jpg (700x665, 62K)

Regarding LoL.
Well, there is training mode that allows to familiarise with the game. Has cheat options too, but mostly is good for testing. Then there are players vs bots to try out. Then there is the usual thing.
When i started way back in season 2, i did not know wth i was doing. Kept playing, seeing what others were doing, seeing how/why we lost. Learned from that bit by bit.
Thing about LoL that i like is that when you have a relatively ok team, chances of winning and pulling off something amazing are higher. Teamwork and co-operation. If you play with friend/s, even better. Not the "fucking around", but actualy playing the game.
I play sparringly. Can go dark for half a year, then play for a week or so, then go dark again.

dota killed WC3 customs and I'll forever hate MOBAs for it.

>soul
fuck off

Attached: amumu soul.png (2749x662, 868K)

>which, as we all know, removed the SOUL by putting out content with triple digit polycounts and textures that weren't 500x500 .jpgs
Old LoL was always a soulless ripoff my dude

you sound slightly retarded. are you okay moba user?

No no, I'm mocking a specific type of subhuman on /vg/'s /lolg/. This type of vermin gets incredibly angry about Riot updating various champions' models and skins, and reworking several champions. A number of champions in the game were comically one-dimensional and pretty much useless outside of incredibly niche situations (for example, Urgot, Galio, Irelia). This type of vermin continues to whine about how making these champions actually playable is ruining the game, because the fact that there was a point in this game's life where it had almost 100 characters but 30 accounted for some 90% of all picks and bans is somehow "SOUL".

I’ve never played one but near as I can tell, it’s like a PvP RPG/Diablo microcosm. You grind enemies for loot and XP to level/gear up every match, basically starting from lvl1 to becoming a maxed out character, trying to do this faster than your opponent so you can kill their “final boss” before they kill yours.

An interesting idea but I don’t like isometric clicker RPGs

Now that I think on it, why is (or was) TF2 fun but dota games are not? You have different classes to choose from, you play cooperatively with a team against another team... I expected to like mobas as much as I liked TF2 but here are the differences that I think might be the culprits

Mobas have a hundred of different characters to choose from. In TF2 there are only 9, and you can get familiar with them very soon, even if there are different loadouts to choose for them you more of less know what to expect when you face an opponent of any class with some hours of play. In mobas you may never know what could happen, you might fight several times against this character (or play as him) and you know what it's strenghts and weakness are, but then you find another one of the hundred available fighters and you are back to square one. This makes you think that you have to study the game to actually be proficient and enjoy it, and I would rather study for something in real life that is useful, since studying is not fun.

The game is not forgiving. Some pros even say that the game is just decided since the characters have been picked, that should tell you already how fucked up the game is. Meanwhile in TF2 you can play most of the times with your favourite class and change in the middle of the game as much as you want, and as long as the team is not greatly unbalanced with 10 snipers or spies, the game will be playable and winnable. In a moba, a suboptimal pick that does not follow the "meta" of one carry one top one bot two mid or maybe one jungler is doomed to fail. There is no real freedom, despite having a hundred of characters to choose.

I might come later with more comparations if I find them. I know this will sound as very ignorant but that's because I played mobas very little, despite trying it even more than I was willing to because "if it's popular, it must be good" but I refuse to play a game that only gets good when you put 100 hours in it.

>defending removal of content
just release the "rework" as a new champion and fuck off instead of displaying your incompetence at designing games in the long run and balancing. Old champions were fun and weren´t more op shit to ban in ranked, meta dick-suckers

not him but:
>Why did you play something so repetitive for so long
you don't feel it after 200 hours. it's like playing a sport, same field everytime, same rules, etc.
>what made you stop?
shit patches, people who don't speak english, steam friends left. I still enjoy some custom modes sometimes

>Some pros even say that the game is just decided since the characters have been picked
No, the game is decided when RNG decides which four retards you're going to be babysitting and which five blood-thirsty grizzly bears you're going to be matched against. This problem comes from the team size. In TF2, you're playing on teams of 12, so one person only contributes 1/12th of the effort (on average). In LoL, one person contributes 1/5th of the effort (on average). 8.3% vs 25%, if one person sucks in TF2 it's okay because they can still contribute, albeit poorly. In LoL, not only does one person sucking mean your team's total capacity to win is lower, it also means that they'll feed which in turn makes the enemy team stronger.

OldSwain was not "content", and nobody found him "fun". He was universally agreed to be garbage for everyone involved and was not fun to play nor lane against. Nobody found OldNunu fun outside of choosing him as a troll pick to run down mid and feed with, and even then you can just do that easier on NuNunu. OldAatrox was unplayable garbage for 99% of his lifetime until a chance rebalancing of items that had nothing to do with him made him viable in some circumstances, a fact that was then heralded as a fucking miracle by e-celebs because he had been garbage since his creation.

TF2 is a first person game, where you control your own one character very closely and exclusively. It's also pure action. Whereas a MOBA is a distant top-down to isometric experience where you select your options from a menu. The latter setup is far more conducive to managing an entire army and, whaddayaknow, a BASE.

It's a matter of giving players enough to do within the framework of the title. In TF2, the setup is for you control all the abilities of your player class singular, and for that to be an engaging action experience. The setup for an RTS title is the same for controlling an army. But a MOBA, which uses an RTS's setup but TF2's scope, is a mismatch. You're given great distance and a menu control array for controlling just one character. It's not enough, resulting in a vacuous experience.

This says something about MOBA fanatics, namely the smallness of their vision and capacity. TF2 demands action from them, and an RTS requires managing an entire army. MOBAs do neither. It's just one dude, and you're not even doing actual action yourself, just managing.

Managing a single entity is pretty damning as an occupation. It's like being a boss with one employee, and doing NOTHING yourself except give orders to your employee. Why don't you get off your fat arse and do something yourself? If you're managing 50 or several thousand, that's different.

Stemming from this personality fault that MOBA gameplay selects for also accounts for other features like the dreadful artstyle and soulless "lore". WoW players fall sucker for this left, right and centre, because WoW is the same thing (of course this is obvious but need stressing anyway).

faggot, do you even know what fun means? jesus christ, fucking tryhard piece of shit, did you even try playing alt builds even once?

some Yea Forumsirgin thinking he's clever

Yea Forums is too casual for dotolikes
All they play is single player weeb grindan games

based fellow custom games player

Do you like the grindan games?

>You may only post in this thread if you have never played a MOBA.
Does it count if I played moba's and dropped them because the only one I liked died?

Attached: Confusion.png (271x247, 171K)

Most Overrated Battle Arena.

HoN?

Paragon_ actually.
At least some dedicated members of the community are reviving it, eventually

Attached: 1491493153398.png (788x872, 1.23M)

Fancy word for DotA clone.

I play exclusively to troll these days. Queue support and the judge the quality of the ADC and throw or carry as necessary. It's impossible to get banned for throwing and you can get everyone else banned for responding to you.

I never played an assfaggots
I never played any battle Royale game
I never played Minecraft
I never played a game in early access

It was fun. Stopped because I was too lazy to get back to reading everything in patch notes after a long time of not playing and because with every new item/hero playing Meepo becomes harder and harder.

It's called ASSFAGGOTS, retard.

oh right it is the 'has actual graphics' game.

ASSFAGGOTS """players""" are truly mentally ill.

Attached: b7e171224223a14fba1bce6df8af4923--spongbob-squarepants-nickelodeon.jpg (625x469, 52K)

>dangle 1mil prizepool in front of idiots
>people spend thousands of hours trying to get to THAT LEVEL OF SKILL
bruh r u fkn dum?

I used to pop in on voice chat when my friends were playing hots, I loved hearing them rage and get salty at each other. Knowing I never got involved with this genre gives me a stiffy

The graphics weren't even that good since I was playing on a toaster. I just liked how much more active it made me feel and I liked the card system. All it needed was a better balance, more cosmetics and maps.

Only MOBA I have ever played was Dota2.
Sunk about 200 hours into it having fun, but decided to stop around the time they killed Skeleton King.

Am glad I managed to break free.

It's an entire genre of games consisting of only one map.

Attached: Self_Mutilation.png (479x341, 281K)

I've played LoL and Mobile Legends. Mobile Legends is probably the best MOBA for mobile though it has way too many similarities with League.

Attached: 1521689826197.png (1792x1012, 3.6M)

haha y-yeah

Attached: gta.jpg (266x120, 37K)

my friends play this shit all the time and it looks so lame plus they get asspained when theyre losing

I'm legitmately glad I've never wasted thousand of hours of my time into one of these shitty normalfag-bait games. With that same free time I've been able to play a shitload of other singleplayer games instead and really branch out my tastes and knowledge of the medium. Can't imagine substituting that for dumping 6000 hours into one shitty multiplayer game played by teenagers and burn out faggots with too much time on their hands.

>people who dont play mobas: "mobas are trash"
>people who play mobas: "mobas are trash"
whats the conflict here?

I've downloaded dota 2 and only played auto chess. Does that count as playing a moba

dota plagiate

have sex
incel

I've had more sex than your average MOBA player undoubtedly.

I thought I was bad

Attached: wow.jpg (719x40, 5K)

The first category are just retards who mostly calibrated bronze/1k mmr back in 2014 after a few games
The second one actually knows the truth on mobas, like
>picking the most fotm/cancerous shit to win
>never pick supports
>one guy can solely ruin the game
>everybody is fighting for 1 position
Etc etc

What compels someone to do this? GTAO is total dogshit whose sole purpose is to jew normalfags and kids into buying microtransactions. It's a literal skinnerbox.

>tfw coding dota custom games

Wow I learned more about MOBA's in one image than I did ever hearing nerds talk about it for years.