In retrospect, how do you feel about the first ever GOTY winners?

In retrospect, how do you feel about the first ever GOTY winners?

Attached: 53D5824A-7EC9-4201-B920-85CEB77BBF5B.jpg (904x603, 260K)

They all mostly hold up except Chrono Cross to me

FF7: Deserved it (For the Time)
OoT: Overrated. Not deserved
SC: One of the greatest fighting games ever. Deserved it
CC: Medicore. Didnt deserve it
MGS2: Best MGS. Deserved it
FFX: Yikes

3/6 = 1/2 = 6/12 = 12/24 = 24/48 = 50/100

As someone who grew up with the PS3/Wii/360. All of these blew me away when i first played them, aside from FF7 which felt incredibly bland

>2 games from 2001
REmake is 2002 GOTY

> OOT was overrated
Terrible bait, it’s so much further ahead from any game from 1990-2005 that it’s not even funny. It objectively was flawless in comparison to everything else in its era.

Metroid Prime was the official winner, but FFX & MGS2 tied in 2001

It’s crazy how much graphics improved in the span of four years from FF VII to X

>grew up with xbox 360

Get out child.

OOT is the Citizen Kane of Gaming. A lot of idiot journos threw that name around a lot when The Last of Us came out without knowing what the fuck it meant. A lot of people regard Citizen Kane as the most important film ever made and one of the best, but if you watched it today it'd be dated, and basic because every movie in existence uses thing it did. The reason Ocarina of Time has aged like it has is because of the same reason. No Journo really understood why Citizen Kane was important because they were hacks

Citizen Kane is the blueprint for every modern movie, because it's the first movie to take all these innovative cinematic and storytelling techniques and combine them into one thing and make it mainstream. It changed the face if cinema forever, made new Hollywood possible. Your favorite, most kino movie? You can thank Citizen Kane for it being made.

Ocarina of Time is this for gaming.
Like Citizen Kane, Ocarina of time did not invent most of the things it used that it revolutionized. It's not the first 3D adventure game, it didnt invent lock on targeting or camera looking, it didnt invent the puzzles, the day night system, it didnt invent the minigames or the collecting, blah blah blah.

But what it did do, is it took all of these elements and refined them and put them into one game in such a way that it changed everything. And every game since Ocarina of Time has borrowed from it in some way. Think about how every 3D combat you've ever played with a controller has played. How blocking has worked, How targeting and strafing and moving around an enemy worked, looking around to find things, Horseback riding having regenerating stamina that you have to slow down to regain, using aiming at specific weak points using targeting and revealing items to fight ghosts, All these little things that were pushed together. Mechanically, that looking back were pretty basic, but t the time they were unheard of.

Ocarina of Time is a really important game.

Ocarina is The Godfather of gaming, Super Metroid is the Citizen Kane

What publication? I can totally accept Metroid Prime. 2002 is an underrated year.

I would argue that Super Metroid was still similar enough to Metroid that it didnt so much change things as much as it perfected what had came before.

>OoT: Overrated. Not deserved

lol

Twilight Princess is the Godfather Part 3 of video games

The Godfather didnt do anything new, and it wasnt the first of it's kind in any respect, but what it did do it did so fucking masterfully. Ocarina of Time is Citizen Kane, not The Godfather, Super Metroid didnt do much different to Metroid

Considering 1990-2005 was what I would call the golden age of gaming, you're making a bold statement. One that simply isn't true. In what way was OoT ahead of any game of it's time? It's not even the best n64 zelda game for christs sake

Gaming Journalism didn’t exist like it did now, so GameFaqs, IGN & GameSpot were the only sources for gaming until about 2007. GameFaqs was the biggest forum on the Internet with 100-200k users voting on GOTY’s & contests. So we took everything that happened their as a fact

Someone just fucking expained it to you, also MM is incredibly mediocre & even arguing it’s better just outs you as a desperate & edgy contrarian

but it's the 2nd best 3D zelda

It’s true whether you like it or not, there’s not a single game in history aside from FF6 & Chrono Trigger that has kept its “masterpiece” status among millions of gamers for over 20 years like these 3 have. Every other game has completely fallen off or didn’t become popular until years later (SoTC, EarthBound)

Attached: 4B786E08-465F-4999-A1FC-FB60FDD5256E.jpg (1024x1008, 341K)

>MM is incredibly mediocre
disagree

it was just the prototype for the first person hack n slash/rpg genre, and just integrated a lot of mechanics that weren't really seen combined together in other games, and executed it flawlessly for the most part. I think it's a decent play-through even now, and my two nephews enjoyed it a lot last year despite the obvious age of the game

Playing it for the first time this year makes me realize that it’s better now then it probably was when it came out. Genuinely amazed at how perfectly designed it is, far superior to any game i’ve played before. Convinced that people who claim it’s not a 10/10 haven’t even played it & just parrot EgoRaptor’s sequelitist video

I would say it's a 7.5/10 nowadays (non-inflated) but if you take into account when it came out, then sure it's a 10/10. Other games that I would pro-rate as a 10/10 that have lost their luster a bit are like Thief 2, Civilization 4, DKC2, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Diablo 2, Pikmin 2, Jade Empire etc.

Overrated mediocre shit also no okami gay list bruh

Nah even in comparison to 2019 standards, it’s still a 10/10. Like Tetris it’s objectively a perfect game from top to bottom, when you play it on a emulator there’s not a single flaw in the game. It’s Soundtrack, level design, pacing & presentation is virtually unrivalled

Super Metroid is the Terminator 2 of games

Searching for faqs on google led instant,y to gamefaqs if i remember correctly. I browsed it myself as an early teenager before i noticed all the cool shit seemed to came from Yea Forums. Didn’t know it was the biggest forum back then.

Japan knows their shit with tactics ogre.

The game has basically one serious flaw, the shield is too powerful and trivializes most fights. Otherwise it's the best gaming has produced.

Holy shit no. Even WW eclipses it.

>ffvii
Storygame shit
>OOT
clumsy as fuck storygame shit
>SC
decent
>CC
storygame shit
>MGS2
Storygame shit
>FFX
Storygame shit

something can't be 'the citizen kane of X' unless its a masterpiece focused on exploring the zeitgeist of the era. just because something is a masterpiece and iconic of an era doesn't make it a zeitgeist.

>a fighting game winning game of the year
it truly was a different time

Soul Reaver was better than OoT

The thing that surprises me the most of Ocarina of Time is the camera. It's not even that bad compared with other games that came after like Ico, or even some games this days.

>The thing that surprises me the most of Ocarina of Time is the camera.

The 'camerawork' in OoT is absolutely marvelous. So many scenes have the camera set up so as to provide you a unique perspective of the environment, adding more points of distinctness to different places.

Attached: OoT.jpg (4000x5333, 3.48M)